Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,138 members, 7,860,088 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:40 AM

Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape (1180 Views)

Why I Walked Away From 3 Ladies I Had Interest In. / Should Marital Rape Be Made A Crime In Nigeria? / Ladies I Have A QUESTION: What Will You Do If You Had A PEN!S For A Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 10:03pm On Jun 14, 2020
Say no to rape o.
I no support rape but I have a question that needs answer.

During dating: a girl's body belongs to her (and not him) and she has right over it, a boy's money belong to him (and not her) and he has right over it.

During marriage: a wife's body belongs to her ( and not her husband after bride price) and she has right over it but a husband's money belongs to both the husband and wife. What's the explanation?

If a husband is reported by the wife for rape and found guilty what punishment should the law give to him? Should it be a fine, Imprisonment(how long) or castration?

Don't get it twisted, it's just a question so everyone can learn. The reason I am asking this is because of what Anita Joseph said that: "Your Husband Can't Rape You". Again say no to rape.

I was also thinking, since it's archaic to own a wife or her body like property as it is in our African culture, shouldn't the paying of bride price be abolished? That way you see her as an equal partner and it saves your money.

And the idea of splitting the family bills 50:50 will help too. Your money will be yours while her money will be hers. I think on this ground marital rape will gain ground.

1 Like

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by callmeRichie(m): 10:13pm On Jun 14, 2020
As far as rape is concerned, Rape is rape! Not justifiable, even marital rape cry, buh here in Nigeria there's no law bounding MARITAL RAPE! cry, our leaders doesn't see it as an offense, well maybe it's not I don't know cry.

I sha know rape is not justifiable!

3 Likes

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 10:22pm On Jun 14, 2020
callmeRichie:
As far as rape is concerned, Rape is rape! Not justifiable, even marital rape cry, buh here in Nigeria there's no law bounding MARITAL RAPE! cry, our leaders doesn't see it as an offense, well maybe it's not I don't know cry.

I know rape is not justifiable. That is clear.

But that doesnt address the questions I asked. Like what purnishment should the law give for a husband that rapes
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by backT(m): 10:23pm On Jun 14, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by baralatie(m): 10:26pm On Jun 14, 2020
Is there courtship rape?
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 10:29pm On Jun 14, 2020
baralatie:
Is there courtship rape?
Courtship rape is rape. It's clear!
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Oluromantic: 10:30pm On Jun 14, 2020
callmeRichie:

Rape antagonist. You didn't address the said topic at all sir.
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by lilmax(m): 10:35pm On Jun 14, 2020
And who put a gun on your head to give your wife money?
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by callmeRichie(m): 10:38pm On Jun 14, 2020
needanswer:

I know rape is not justifiable. That is clear.

But that doesnt address the questions I asked. Like what purnishment should the law give for a husband that rapes

Same punishment as for a regular rapist man! Being married is not an advantage now.

Life imprisonment, castration...

2 Likes

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 10:40pm On Jun 14, 2020
callmeRichie:

Same punishment as for a regular rapist man! Being married is not an advantage now.

Life imprisonment, castration...

Nice, that's an angle.
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 10:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
lilmax:
And who put a gun on your head to give your wife money?

Be practical, how won't you give your wife money?
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by sunshineV(f): 10:45pm On Jun 14, 2020
Follow the law of the land. There's nothing like marital rape in Nigeria if u can't give ur husband sex whenever he wants it fuvking leave the marriage

3 Likes

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by callmeRichie(m): 10:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
sunshineV:
Follow the law of the land. There's nothing like marital rape in Nigeria if u can't give ur husband sex whenever he wants it fuvking leave the marriage

I already answered the question already, buh they didn't code it and I'm not in any angle to argue tonight, I kuku break it downgrin
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 10:52pm On Jun 14, 2020
sunshineV:

I get your input.

I don't support any form of rape but won't it make sense if we change things like men paying bride price since we don't own the woman or her body (that's outdated)? As well as the family bills being split 50/50?
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 14, 2020
"The husband's money belong to both the wife and husband"
Says who?

You know just like the saying " your body belongs to your partner" it's just a saying not the reality. Those are just words we like to deceive ourselves with because the reality is You have access only to how much your partner allows you.

If a husband decide not to allow his wife use his properties as long as those properties are in his name 'alone' the wife can't do much to change the situation. Unless they divorce and that's if they are legally married. Same way couples can decide to starve one another sexually. Not that any of these is right, at least in a Love union.

As for Marital rape, the fact that the law doesn't recognize it doesn't make it unreal. It's happening and there's no justification to it. Any right thinking person who has evolved beyond from being an APE will not force anyone to have sex. That's what make us HUMAN.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Oluromantic: 10:56pm On Jun 14, 2020
sunshineV:
Spot on. Women like you not only need a good husband. You need to be cherished thru out life. Very rational

1 Like

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 10:59pm On Jun 14, 2020
Ariza:
"The husband's money belong to both the wife and husband"
Says who?

You know just like the saying " your body belongs to your partner" it's just a saying not the reality. Those are just words we like to deceive ourselves with because the reality is You have access only to how much your partner allows you.

If a husband decide not to allow his wife use his properties as long as those properties are in his name 'alone' the wife can't do much to change the situation. Unless they divorce and that's if they are legally married. Same way couples can decide to starve one another sexually. Not that any of these is right, at least in a Love union.

As for Marital rape, the fact that the law doesn't recognize it doesn't make it unreal. It's happening and there's no justification to it. Any right thinking person who has evolved beyond from being an APE will not force anyone to have sex. That's what make us HUMAN.

Good points, I like your sound conclusion. But the opening part won't make a happy or lasting marriage. Like how will you not look after your wife?
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Poseidon000: 11:10pm On Jun 14, 2020
This is why i pity those who go into marriage with sex as the major incentive. Even the sex is subject to the whim and caprice of the woman, and don't try to embellish it with lame justification, cos it's tantamount to rape if you force her; so, why the blasted fuss about guaranteed sex that you marriage advocates wouldn't let us a moment peace on the utopian reality you herald marriage to be

I personally don't even understand the hype about sex in particular.

1 Like

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by sunshineV(f): 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2020
needanswer:

I get your input.

I don't support any form of rape but won't it make sense if we change things like men paying bride price since we don't own the woman or her body (that's outdated)? As well as the family bills being split 50/50?

Yes, the whole collecting bride price thing to me feels like selling off the lady

2 Likes

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jun 14, 2020
needanswer:

Good points, I like your sound conclusion. But the opening part won't make a happy or lasting marriage. Like how will you not look after your wife?
I'm not saying a Man shouldn't take care of his wife, or that partners should deny one another. No.

I'm just ruling out sugar-coated words people pass from generation to generation that has led many young minds into wrong union. And the sense of entitlement these words create in people's minds and when things don't turn out the way it ought to be, you start hearing words like "I wasn't told this how marriage is". If a woman think she can own a Man's money and contemplate to marry him let her think twice. If a Man think he can own a woman because he paid bride price, let him think twice. The truth is you can only have assess to how much you are permitted.

Now, anyone that wants to get married should make to it a must to find A person who loves them enough to share. Someone who can give himself or herself totally in love and respect. Only then can there be peace of mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 11:24pm On Jun 14, 2020
Ariza:
I'm not saying a Man shouldn't take care of his wife, or that partners should deny one another. No.

I'm just ruling out sugar-coated words people pass from generation to generation that has led many young minds into wrong union. And the sense of entitlement these words create in people's minds and when things don't turn out the way it ought to be, you start hearing words like "I wasn't told this how marriage is". If a woman think she can own a Man's money and contemplate to marry him let her think twice. If a Man think he can own a woman because he paid bride price, let him think twice. The truth is you can only have assess to how much you are permitted.

Now, anyone that wants to get married should make to it a must to find A person who loves them enough to share. Someone who can give himself or herself totally in love and respect. Only then can there be peace of mind.

You are wise sir. Hope you are married
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 11:26pm On Jun 14, 2020
sunshineV:

Yes, the whole collecting bride price thing to me feels like selling off the lady

I thought as much too.
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jun 14, 2020
needanswer:

You are wise sir. Hope you are married
I'm not a "Sir" and no, I'm not married.
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 11:28pm On Jun 14, 2020
Poseidon000:
This is why i pity those who go into marriage with sex as the major incentive. Even the sex is subject to the whim and caprice of the woman, and don't try to embellish it with lame justification, cos it's tantamount to rape if you force her; so, why the blasted fuss about guaranteed sex that you marriage advocates wouldn't let us a moment peace on the utopian reality you herald marriage to be

I personally don't even understand the hype about sex in particular.

Minus procreation, sex is for pleasure. But it is scripted now for pleasure. Procreation seems to be the best use of it.
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 11:32pm On Jun 14, 2020
Ariza:
I'm not a "Sir" and no, I'm not married.

Sir is just for respect as a guy, even though you are not a knight.
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jun 14, 2020
needanswer:

Sir is just for respect as a guy, even though you are not a knight.
Lol, I mean I'm not one you address with "sir" at all.

I'm a Lady.

1 Like

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 11:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
Ariza:
Lol, I mean I'm not one you address with "sir" at all.

I'm a Lady.

Apologies, your argument was superb irrespective of gender "madam"...dont complain again o
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Minxie(f): 12:01am On Jun 15, 2020
I'd have to say the biggest difference between the wife having rights over her body and the man sharing his money is the fact that a body is not a commodity. I think we crossed that bridge when we all agreed slavery is inhumane. So, it is therefore equally inhumane to have "ownership" over a wifes body just because the bride price was paid.

I would also like to state that a man's money and a women's money should both go into the marriage. That's equality. I can't possibly have rights over your money when you can't say jack over mine.

Lastly, i think the whole bride price affair should be scrapped. I know in many cultures the bride price wasn't seen as a man buying the woman, it had a far deeper meaning (i won't go into that now). But I fear that we have forgotten about that far deeper meaning and just turned the whole affair into a transaction. Which brings me back to my first point: a human (body) is not a commodity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 12:06am On Jun 15, 2020
Minxie:
I'd have to say the biggest difference between the wife having rights over her body and the man sharing his money is the fact that a body is not a commodity. I think we crossed that bridge when we all agreed slavery is inhumane. So, it is therefore equally inhumane to have "ownership" over a wifes body just because the bride price was paid.

I would also like to state that a man's money and a women's money should both go into the marriage. That's equality. I can't possibly have rights over your money when you can't say jack over mine.

Lastly, i think the whole bride price affair should be scrapped. I know in many cultures the bride price wasn't seen as a man buying the woman, it had a far deeper meaning (i won't go into that now). But I fear that we have forgotten about that far deeper meaning and just turned the whole affair into a transaction. Which brings me back to my first point: a human (body) is not a commodity

Good points, I agree a wife isn't a commodity unlike money. About the bride price being or not being a form of ownership over the wife or her body.... I believe bride price cost a lot of money and one party shouldn't pay such huge sums for an equal partnership irrespective of reasons, should they?
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Minxie(f): 12:11am On Jun 15, 2020
needanswer:

Good points, I agree a wife isn't a commodity unlike money. About the bride price being or not being a form of ownership over the wife or her body.... I believe bride price cost a lot of money and one party shouldn't pay such huge sums for an equal partnership irrespective of reasons, should they?

Actually I've been reading some very interesting articles lately... these days many women actually help the men pay the bride price. It's not uncommon in SA especially if a woman earns more than the man. Because when you marry for love, you don't want something as silly as a bride price to ruin your future but you also don't want to anger your family by breaking tradition. So many girls pay the bride price themselves (giving the money to the guy) or they pay part of it
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by needanswer: 12:14am On Jun 15, 2020
Minxie:

Actually I've been reading some very interesting articles lately... these days many women actually help the men pay the bride price. It's not uncommon in SA especially if a woman earns more than the man. Because when you marry for love, you don't want something as silly as a bride price to ruin your future but you also don't want to anger your family by breaking tradition. So many girls pay the bride price themselves (giving the money to the guy) or they pay part of it

Paying part of it isn't a bad idea, I can support that if it becomes formal. But being informal the greater burden will fall on guys even though the ladies are trying to help out.
Re: Ladies: I Need An Answer About Marital Rape by Minxie(f): 12:19am On Jun 15, 2020
needanswer:

Paying part of it isn't a bad idea, I can support that if it becomes formal. But being informal the greater burden will fall on guys even though the ladies are trying to help out.

Yes I agree. And the funny thing is, the men are actually the ones who reinforce this cycle. For example, many men hate the idea of paying bride price and they think it's unfair. but if those men have daughters, they will also later demand her boyfriend pay the bride price. It's a cycle that can't end because someone always gains something from it. To be honest, nobody is forcing us to agree to tradition. This generation can all make a vow to not ask for bride price. But I bet you at least 95% of the men now who have a problem with bride price will be at the forefront of negotiations in the future when it comes to their daughters grin hahaha

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

WTF*** Went Out For Picnic With My Babes, Guess What Happened!!! / 10 Clear Differences Between Making Love And Having Sex / I Don't Care What My Parents Say About What I Do - Nudist Shugatiti(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.