Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw (6081 Views)

Oil Prices Hit Lowest Since 2004 As Supply Balloons / Ajimobi Sits On Ambode And Aregbesola's Laps As They Laugh Out Loud (Photos) / PHOTOS: Fat Police Woman Causes Stir In Lagos As She Sits On Passenger Laps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by blacksta(m): 5:07pm On Jan 28, 2011
Beaf:

So our power generation capacity increases and people complain? It just goes to show how negative some are, they are the sort of people we call winsh! grin
Winshes hate progress and love darkness.

Some have brought up SA's capacity as support for their whinging; but dudes the only way we can ever catch up with SA is by steadily increasing capacity. Last month, we hit 3600MW for the first time in our history (don't mind the clowns mentioning 4000MW, remember they are winshes wink), a month later we've climbed to  3,800MW. In the next one month or so, we should have topped 4000MW. . . Let winshes complain, afterall they are lovers of deep darkness, others are hopeful and glad that after decades of hopelessness, things are actually getting better.

[size=14pt]Fresh Air 2011![/size]

I thank My Lord Jesus  - that folks on NL now see past all your hypocrisy.  I am amazed at the rapid rate at which your opinions change. 

One minute you say GEJ is 9 months old and Not a part of the Yar adua adminstration.  The next minute you claim that Nigerians should be happy at least power generation is increasing.  Which one should we believe now.

SInce you suffer from selective amnesia let me remind you. Your GEJ propaganda would work anymore.

Electricity generation in Nigeria has always hovered around 2500 - 4000 MW for a  Long time and it is an insult to Nigerian Masses from the Inept GEJ adminstration to claim kudos for extra generation of 188mw that always been there.

Where is the 6000 MW GEJ promised Nigerians by the end of 2010.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Beaf: 5:21pm On Jan 28, 2011
blacksta:

I thank My Lord Jesus - that folks on NL now see past all your hypocrisy. I am amazed at the rapid rate at which your opinions change.

One minute you say GEJ is 9 months old and Not a part of the Yar adua adminstration. The next minute you claim that Nigerians should be happy at least power generation is increasing. Which one should be believe now.

SInce you suffer from selective amnesia let me remind you. Your GEJ propaganda would work anymore.

Electricity generation in Nigeria has always hovered around 2500 - 4000 MW fora Long time and it is an insult to Nigerian Masses from the Inept GEJ adminstration to claim kudos for extra generation of 118mw that always been there.

It pays to keep informed. Nigeria's capacity never ever got above 3600MW until last month and Egbin and a few others packed up temprarily as a result. Every donkey knows what happened with power on Xmas eve, as well as the explanation, luckily December is not too far away, so even winshes can easily find recent news.

Where you plucked 4000MW from is beyond me. I will give you the rumour monger test and challenge you to back up your claim (of course, you will fail, cos its a lie).

The rest of us normal folk are happy that the power situation is improving, it gives hope that one day, things could be sweet. Dude, back up your false figures or disappear into your coven.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by OAM4J: 6:08pm On Jan 28, 2011
Princek12:

With that being said, given the tenure of OBJ's regime and the amount he spent on the power project, that is, 8 yrs and $16B respectively, are you guys saying that OBJ could not generate 188MGW given the time and money expended?

So, some people still carry the news that obj spent $16B on NIP projects? When some have lost their jobs and reputation for spreading such baseless allegation.

wandyvirus:

OBJ did not spend $16bn.That was the total budget for the NIPP projects.20% of that was paid to contractors shortly before OBJ left the scene.Yaradua came and reversed all of that.The Elumelu chap in the House and his counter-thieves in the senate played on the intelligence of Nigeria's by hyping the TOTAL amount of the project which was to span three years as if that was what was spent in the last 8 months of OBJ's presidency. If Yaradua  had not listened to the likes of Turia and the former AG under Yaradua (whose name i have vowed never to call or write again) we will be well on our way out of darkness now.
GEJ just returned to the OBJ IPP script and we are already seeing the results. I have had constant electricity in the last 3 weeks and it can only get better.
Please let us open our eyes and speak the truth.the monies for the IPP that was not disbursed is still with the CBN.The contractors came out with prove  that shows that the Yaradua govt frustrated them. have we forgotten so soon how the "panel" will visit sites late in the evening and show us on AIT that the contractors are not working.Have we forgotten that the contractors asked that they help the Govt construct a particular bridge(i can't remember which now) so that they can transport the heavy turbines that is needed for the IPP to work and the Govt refused? Can we recall the fact that most of the equipment suffered demurrage    at the ports during the former AG's rule? Lets not give in to slanderers who now turned around ad asked the contractors for bribes. The IPP is on course now and we can all see the results.If you are in Lagos have you noticed the small transformer per four or five houses?

Please tell them o. That Yarasick-clueless also cancelled the railway project which by now would have brought much relief to our transportation system.

@Topic
Hopefully by 2020 we will get to 10,000MW undecided
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by OvieE: 6:16pm On Jan 28, 2011
For those who are happy for seeing power have improve in their area.

Once again your brainless leaders are tapping with your brain now that election is in the corner.

You people will never and ever learn Poo.

188mgw for election. You all can go and sell your vote as usual.

188mgw + deceiving f.o.o.l. = election.

This is how your leader take you guys for. After election nothing will happen until next election add 100mgw to deceive you people. Now I know that Nigeria leaders know that their citizens are f.o.o.l.s. and nothing.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by playboy19(m): 6:24pm On Jan 28, 2011
Yes, we could be fools but you are a "Powerless fool" yourself for knowing all this and still do nothing about it. Idiot
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Mobinga: 6:31pm On Jan 28, 2011
grin My left Arse~!!!!
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by ddcmachine: 6:31pm On Jan 28, 2011
Tho its my first post on nairaland, I followed comments on this thread and i must say that when a government does smthing positive as this, the head of government should be encouraged rather than criticism not constructive. Jonathan deserves commendation on this and the contracts for coal powered electricity recently awarded.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Jan 28, 2011
OAM4J:

So, some people still carry the news that obj spent $16B on NIP projects? When some have lost their jobs and reputation for spreading such baseless allegation.

Please tell them o. That Yarasick-clueless also cancelled the railway project which by now would have brought much relief to our transportation system.

@Topic
Hopefully by 2020 we will get to 10,000MW undecided

e no pain you reach me ooo!!! Worst part was having some so called experts here JUSTIFY the stupidity of that action by BACKING the using of money, that could have gone towards modernization( Billions of Naira) on purchasing 1970's locomotives today. Imagine that nonsense!!!! ROFLMAO!!
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by playboy19(m): 6:45pm On Jan 28, 2011
Don't mind those Idiots, even if by the end of this year we are able to generate 1million mgw, they will still say "let them go and sit down what have they done, is this where we are suppose to be in 50 years". This stupid critics wont stop and they will all sit down in another man's country. Forgetting that the country they are didn't become what they are over night.

Let anyone challenge me here. Even the almighty America at 50 years of independence was bullshit, even at 100 years, so what are you all saying?
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by timpaker(m): 7:11pm On Jan 28, 2011
must the waste plant, 37 storey building and other huge project be built in Abuja, what happun to other states of the federation?
they should try and develop other state because Abuja is not Nigeria but the whole of others states put together.
tomorrow they would say Abuja is overpopulated,
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Cmonsense: 7:20pm On Jan 28, 2011
[i]Let anyone challenge me here. Even the almighty America at 50 years of independence was bullshit, even at 100 years, so what are you all sayin[/i]g?

So we should spend another 200 plus years getting to where America is today. America will be on the moon by then.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by OvieE: 7:44pm On Jan 28, 2011
playboy19:

Don't mind those Idiots, even if by the end of this year we are able to generate 1million mgw, they will still say "let them go and sit down what have they done, is this where we are suppose to be in 50 years". This silly critics wont stop and they will all sit down in another man's country. Forgetting that the country they are didn't become what they are over night.

Let anyone challenge me here. Even the almighty America at 50 years of independence was bullshit, even at 100 years, so what are you all saying?

50 my A.S.S. look at China, Malaysia, South Korea and co,  whose Independence are same as Nigeria. See Nigeria today and see those countries today. People die at 50. Are they not mature to know what is right and wrong.
F.o.o.l. like you will always talking Nigeria is just 50 year. Non-sense,
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by otumfour(m): 7:54pm On Jan 28, 2011
Gombs:

, shay na vision 20 2020, remain 9 years o, but sha phcn dey try these days, light dey reach >12hrs a day for me area smiley

shocked shocked shocked smh! in 2011? and dude's happy?
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by playboy19(m): 7:55pm On Jan 28, 2011
OvieE:

50 my A.S.S. look at China, Malaysia, South Korea and co,  whose Independence are same as Nigeria. See Nigeria today and see those countries today. People die at 50. Are they not mature to know what is right and wrong.
F.o.o.l. like you will always talking Nigeria is just 50 year. Non-sense,

Alright sir, so criticizing them will suddenly make us become as grown as china? It is idiots like you that never achieve things in life. Sob over your mistake(s) for the rest of your life and never move on.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 28, 2011
Www.nigerianinquirer.com/2010/08/27/jonathan-launches-the-roadmap-for-power-sector-reform/

Jonathan Launches the Roadmap
for Power Sector Reform
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on
Thursday gave a landmark speech outlining
his plan and approach to ending power
shortages in Nigeria, just a few months
before Presidential elections.
In what some see as part of an election
manifesto
, Jonathan launched the “roadmap
for power sector reform” in Lagos to an
audience of business leaders and investors
Reliable power is one of Nigeria’s greatest
problems, hampering economic
development and making life extremely
difficult for citizens and businesses alike.
Nigeria is said to need $6 billion in the
coming year to meet its domestic energy
needs.
The core of Jonathan’s plans – already
widely known – is the privatisation of
generation and distribution and the
construction of a new transmission
network. The intention is to create 11
electricity generation companies around the
country with states being major partners in
these entities.
In addition, foreign investment will be
sought for investment into power
generation companies, an area that
investors have shirked away from due to
their lack of trust in the state-owned Power
Holding Generation Commpany (PHCN).
Jonathan’s plan involves government
guarantees on the amount paid to new
power generating companies to encourage
them to invest. However, he will need to
provide more detail on guarantees before
foreign and local investors commit.
Part of his proposal is to create a new
government agency that will guarantee
payments to Independent Power Producers
(IPPs), to encourage them to build natural
gas and other power generation facilities.
“Government is convinced that it is only by
constructively engaging the private sector
as partners in this journey of national
transformation that we can be assured of
success, ” Jonathan said, accompanied on
the podium by ministers, advisers and state
governors.
“This roadmap brings us to a point where
we finally have a realistic plan that is
actually technically, commercially sound, in
terms of the role of the private sector, the
role of government, ” World Bank country
director Onno Ruhl said.
“The question is, will all the partners behind
it actually rally around it and implement it …
If it gets implemented, it will deliver results,”
he added.
“If there is anything that unites Nigerians, it
is a desire for power, electricity,” Finance
Minister Olusegun Aganga said. He added
that his ministry was trying hard to create
the right environment to attract investment
as quickly as possible.
Nigeria has the world’s seventh-largest
natural gas reserves and plans to use them
as the source for improving power supply.
Oil Minister Deziani Allison-Madueke said gas
supply to the power sector was already at
an all-time high but estimated that demand
from domestic energy producers would rise
to 3 billion cubic feet per day by 2015 from
around 800 million now.
Jonathan has already announced plans for a
$3.5 billion transmission “supergrid” to be
jointly financed with the private sector,
while the privatization agency has said it is
seeking core investors for 11 state-run
electricity distribution firms.
One of the major roadblocks to improved
power supply in Nigeria of course, is
corruption. Without tackling corruption and
alleged sabotage, especially by Nigerian
moguls in the generator and diesel business
who profit from the shambolic PHCN,
Jonathan’s plan has no chance of
succeeding.

Sadly, Jonathan’s plans were short on any
type of blueprint or encouragement for
renewable electricity. With finite gas and oil
supplies and the complexity of the
infrastructure, this is a great
disappointment. Nigeria is looking
backwards, and even though it is in the
company of countries like the US, it is
terribly shortsighted.
Portugal last week reported that it now
generates 45% of its power from
renewables – a direction that Nigeria could
move towards if it had the political will.
Sadly, even Jonathan’s new plan will do little
to move Nigeria in that desirable direction.
As we have previously reported, the plan
also has other flaws. We shall continue to
report on the power situation as his plan
unfolds.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Dreamchaser1(f): 3:18am On Jan 29, 2011
This is a good start, though little. It needs to be improved upon and that should happen faster.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Mobinga: 4:37am On Jan 29, 2011
For the past 2 weeks, I haven't gone a day without electricity cool Thanks to nepa/phcn.

This is a mAJOr improvement, compared to the 2 months of darkness and constant depletion of the ozone from my gen.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by bignaija(m): 5:12am On Jan 29, 2011
[size=16pt]cheap internet packages check my blog below [/size]
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by STENACO: 6:39am On Jan 29, 2011
who says light goes off in south africa is insane. I dont think you will say that if you have visited SA for just one month. The entance gates in houses in south africa are controlled by electricity which means the country is doomed without electricity.  They are so dependent on it that it can not go off for just 5mins. I stayed a minimum of four years in yoville in joharnesburg and have wintnessed an uniterupted power supply. So who is sepaking about light going off. Shame on Nigeria on power  generation.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by ayusco: 8:30am On Jan 29, 2011
while i can understand pips fustration with our current MW level whinging, crying, bitching over spilt akamu can't change the fact that the worst has happened but rather what is needed are solutions and constructive criticisms.

this mw188 though small is a small +ve step. for me i can say light in my area has improved thats wat i think some earlier posts were trying to say that yes we are not there yet but are improving. member 10 yrs ago we barely had a thousand mobile lines compared to SA's plus million lines today we have the most gsm lines in africa so lets not be too despondent.

p.s i'm not a GEJ fan
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 29, 2011
it's not enough to simply add 188 mw into the grid . How does that affect the price of fish at alade market?
Our transmission and distribution networks do not even have the capacity to evacuate 4000 MW of electricity.
daily without breaking down.

I'm beginning to believe Nigeria will never get electricity right until we get more simple and basic things right like credible elections and breaking up our parasitic system of governance. People make hasty comparisons with what we achieved in the telecoms sector but power is a different beast all together. It's far easier and cheaper to give 10 million people phone access than to put light in 10, 000 homes!

GEJ should shut up about providing Nigeria 40,000 mw by 2020. Hey China provided that much all that time you've been in power!
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by ayusco: 10:11am On Jan 29, 2011
@horacye your reaction is exactly y i wrote my last post instead of just complaining about our current state(as that would not change squat unless u hav a time machine) try offering SOLUTIONS. u mentioned our inability to evacuate power beyond mw4000 because of our infracstructure pray tell isn't that y GEJ is building a super-grid? guy we can complain that china, SA, ghana r better than us but fixing the country still has to be done.

see u can't by ur rule make 'hasty comparison' about power and not allow me to bring up telecom just because it doesn't fit into ur lets-bash-everything-nigeria rant. question y did telecoms succeed? ans: private sector investment
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by GurusForum: 11:00am On Jan 29, 2011
Let me make a statement based on my experience.

If you ask me today, I will say there is a positive
change in power supply and I would like it to increase
day by day.

In the area I live for the past 3years, I buy fuel for
my generator 2 - 3 times a week. We stay for a week
without power from PHCN. Sometimes, I have to even
send sms to the PRO of PHCN in my state before power
will be restored.

From my discovery, it seems like generator and fuel
sellers bribe those PHCN officials to take light. I said
this because anytime I send sms to the PRO, light
will come and even stay for 2days without interruption.

But now, the case is different. Since Jan. 2011, I have
not gone out to buy fuel for my generator again except
yesterday. We now have power supply all round and
the current is normal.

So, there is an improvement but we need more!
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Awhotu(m): 11:58am On Jan 29, 2011
federal govt added 188mgw to power yet no change in most place. is d 188mgw meant 4 a particular place or 4 d whole of 9ja?
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 29, 2011
ayusco:

@horacye your reaction is exactly y i wrote my last post instead of just complaining about our current state(as that would not change squat unless u hav a time machine) try offering SOLUTIONS. u mentioned our inability to evacuate power beyond mw4000 because of our infracstructure pray tell isn't that y GEJ is building a super-grid? guy we can complain that china, SA, ghana r better than us but fixing the country still has to be done.

see u can't by your rule make 'hasty comparison' about power and not allow me to bring up telecom just because it doesn't fit into your lets-bash-everything-nigeria rant. question y did telecoms succeed? ans: private sector investment

^^and to ur mind that is a solution. to sit in some dark corner and type private investment?

So have u asked ur self why private investment has never worked in the power sector? Or rather why hasn't the power sector attracted private investment? Think again dude,
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by AkoEja: 1:22pm On Jan 29, 2011
The Northern thieves, (not the good people of the North, e.g Ribadu, Bala Usman, Aminu Kano etc) believe that PHCN/NEPA need to be a government body so that they have a source of funds to steal. Much as I am not a fan of GEJ, I hope he wins the election, if Ribadu doesn't, both will be good for the country as a whole.
Yaradua cancelled the projects for this reason, as these people can barely see beyond their noses.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by juman(m): 4:05pm On Jan 29, 2011
AkoEja:

The Northern thieves, (not the good people of the North, e.g Ribadu, Bala Usman, Aminu Kano etc) believe that PHCN/NEPA need to be a government body so that they have a source of funds to steal. Much as I am not a fan of GEJ, I hope he wins the election, if Ribadu doesn't, both will be good for the country as a whole.
Yaradua cancelled the projects for this reason, as these people can barely see beyond their noses.

Cancellation of the power projects was majorly the fault of former president, Obasanjo. He brought in a man (Yar'adua) that didn't believe in his view and vision for the country.

I vividly remember that that time it was only El Rufai that defended the actions of Obasanjo on the power project. El Rufai explain extensively why Obasanjo gave big percentage of project money to the contactors.
Obasanjo supposed to bring in (make president) a man that was involved in his decision making during his time as the president. So that was the problem.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by ayusco: 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2011
@horayce guy u still are not coming up with solutions. most countries that generate huge mw hav a high private sector involment with the exception of china who because of communism hav control of the state apparatus no meddling legislators to deal with.

i still feel private sector in the long run is the way to go. that private pips hav not come into it is down to a combination of corruption, incompetence and lack of political will etc again i'm not einstien who has all the answers

so horacye if my thoughts are wrong pls educate me n provide realistic solutions without the sarcastic rants
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by debosky(m): 4:56pm On Jan 29, 2011
I don't know why this is being politicised or rubbished. . . .it is a legitimate achievement and a continuation of work that had been done in the past.

Previous government simply constructed these plants without the attendant gas supply required to supply power to the grid. The subsequent Yar'adua/GEJ governments have proceeded (after the regrettable delay over 'probing' the NIPP) to connect the plants with gas pipelines to actually make them supply electricity.

This is a good development, albeit belated. The projects started under the NIPP are gradually being completed and the money spent to build those plants will begin to yield fruit in the form of actual electricity generation.

When Alaoji and Sapele come on stream, there should be an additional 540MW and 500MW of generating capacity added as well. Instead of waving away the 'little' progress, we should press the government to ensure completion of the above two projects before the elections at the very least.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by OAM4J: 5:01pm On Jan 29, 2011
juman:

Cancellation of the power projects was majorly the fault of former president, Obasanjo. He brought in a man (Yar'adua) that didn't believe in his view and vision for the country.

I vividly remember that that time it was only El Rufai that defended the actions of Obasanjo on the power project. El Rufai explain extensively why Obasanjo gave big percentage of project money to the contactors.
Obasanjo supposed to bring in (make president) a man that was involved in his decision making during his time as the president. So that was the problem.

All I can say is that people change. I think Yaras-mugu changed to his own detriment.

I was in Lagos during Yara-sickler's campaign, I remember when he came to Lagos to campaign, at a dinner meeting with top CEOs, he Yara-dunce promised to continue on obj policies, he particularly listed the NIP projects, the railway modernization project, the economic reforms etc and promised to retain the key ministers in obj cabinet for that purpose (I guess that was why obj left the ministers till his last days in office), this statement drew a lot of applause from those CEOs at that meeting.

But as soon as Yaradead won the election came to power, he stop listening to the likes of El Rufai who drafted his Inaugural Speech (one of the best inaugural speeches) and started listening to the likes of Thief Ibori, Abba Ruma & co. He went back on his words, cancelled most of the key projects of obj, sent us back 8 years and ended up more of a curse than blessing to Nigeria. Obj was a thief, but we were making some progress, But Yara-dead, his wife and men were bigger thiefs and Nigeria moved backward in his days- thanks to wikileaks and imagine ECA of over $20B went down to $5B in less than 2 years with nothing to show for it. Yes am still embittered by his actions.
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by sulad82i(m): 5:34pm On Jan 29, 2011
only God knows how much the total cost of the plant. . . . lots of $$$$
Re: Fg Adds 188mgw To Power, As Supply Sits 3,800mgw by Phikom(m): 1:44am On Jan 30, 2011
glimmer of hope 2 power sector

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This Is What Syria Do To Homosexuals (PHOTOS) / Buhari To Clerics: Pray For Better Nigeria / Abdullahi Wuse emerges Niger Assembly Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.