Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre (36130 Views)

FG Increases Price Of Electricity Meters / 80 Per Cent Of Security Energies Channelled Against Igbo — Intersociety Alleges / How Smuggled Petrol From Nigeria Floods Niger, Cameroon, Benin, Togo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by lexander(m): 7:25pm On Jul 01, 2020
obailala:

Of course that's what subsidy removal is all about. What exactly is dubious or shocking or confusing here?

Over a month ago, oil sold for about $20 and pump price was reduced to N123. Now oil price has risen over $40 and pump price has increased. If oil price rises further to say $80, pump price would surely rise again, except we want govt to resume paying subsidy.

The title of this report is actually misleading; government didn't increase oil price, rather pump price has just increased in line with global oil prices.

I thought the president promised during his campaign against Jonathan that he won't pay subsidy and that's why PMS was been sold for 143 naira ever since he entered Office.... So why am I now hearing about he has removed subsidy ? Is it possible to remove subsidy again after you've removed it the first time ? If he has just removed it then why was the price of petrol increase by almost 80% in his first term of ruling ?

1 Like

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by cjrane: 7:25pm On Jul 01, 2020
SmartProf:
These are all evidences of when a government decides to punish it's people. Of what benefit is it to Nigerians that we are an oil producing nation? Meanwhile most of these top shots in government don't even use their monies to fuel their vehicles o, it's our national budget that fuels their vehicles and generators...what a shame!

But crude oil price is at about $40 dollars/ barrel!

We paid N97 naira for a litre of petrol when crude oil price was $120 dollars/ barrel. Now that the price has reduced to $40 dollars/ barrel, we are paying almost double for the product?

Pure wickedness on the part of the government!

2 Likes

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by tonididdy(m): 7:29pm On Jul 01, 2020
Anything that will ease the suffering of the masses can never last in this country.

Never
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by bigfish3k: 7:33pm On Jul 01, 2020
kikero:

1.We don't have enough refienreis because subsides keep prices too low to make having a domestic refinery profitable. (which is why when Dangote finishes his refienry, which he took a heavy loan to build , prices either go up or it runs at a loss.

2.I'm not in government, so I do not give licnences to cronies to import fuel, plus all that ended when Buhari made NNPC the sole improter of fuel in 2017. (and paid off outstandig subsidy claims)

3.It is not a matter of fixing the refienries. According to NNPC it costs N165 to refine one liter of fuel domestically. We are selling it at N143 NOW. That means anyone building a refienry is going to sell at a loss.

As a matter of fact, govt has given 61 people licences to build refienries since 2011, and less than 10 are building.

You cannot refine fuel at N165 or more and sell it at N143 and expect to have funds to keep up your refienreis. Plus, now that NNPC is solely importing fuel, it is incurring a loss annually paying for keeping prices low. How do you expect them to get money to pay for refineries...when it is all going down the subsidy trap.??

So you believe this government refining fuel at N165.
That means it's cheaper to import than to refine here
Hope you have read what is on social media where nigeria produces crude at $23 while other countries are producing at $3
Our country is fraud
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by mankan2k7(m): 7:35pm On Jul 01, 2020
APC is evil and heartless.

They don't have the interest of common men at heart
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by a4cube: 7:45pm On Jul 01, 2020
Bluntemperor:

But you failed to name the Nations that have quickly increased Prices after Covid-19 reduction? Your analysis is biased against Nigerians.Are you saying that Nigerians don't have right to cry foul for Govt small reduction in prices after Global Oil fall?
This is a reap Off in NNPC and their PPR that are being staged managed affairs.While other Nations were making substantial reduction in prices of PMS,Nigerians are being fooled with insignificant reduction at home. No wander, the NNPC AAand it's associate can't breakthrough!
Don't mind them. Even here in UK petrol price is still going down.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Fourwinds: 7:49pm On Jul 01, 2020
kikero:

I think that's what Nigerians want. Free petrol.

Infact if government reduces the thing to N40 per liter, Nigerians will bless them and thank them, and APC will win in 2023.

Of course by the time the petroleum industry breaks down because they would be running at a massive loss as a result, plus the fact that we would be in serious debt to pay the subsides that result from keeping prices down....

Inasmuch as people would insult me, oil subsidy must go. Nigerian government must stop controlling prices of petrol. So that we can have more investment, more savings, less loan taking, and crucially, more jobs and refinereies, and a better economy.

If government had subsided GSM from the word go to the point that we pay N2 per minute.....I would have been typing this from an internet cafe, with a snail speed internet...like the good old days.
sometimes i wonder how you people to make comments without giving the pros and cons.. Now you are talking about saving. Where does the saved money go? Private pockets. Tell me how has Nigerians fair from this oil which is God given natural resources.. Everything looted. Just like a man who married a woman that suffered with him until he became rich and he decided to spend the money on side chics. That is the senario of Nigeria government(looters) and its citizens

1 Like

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by alwaysonnet: 7:50pm On Jul 01, 2020
Naija!. Download this app for latest Mr Macaroni, Emmanuella Video skit. And laugh away your sorrow.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toyonnet.funnycomedy
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by obailala(m): 7:54pm On Jul 01, 2020
lexander:

I thought the president promised during his campaign against Jonathan that he won't pay subsidy and that's why PMS was been sold for 143 naira ever since he entered Office.... So why am I now hearing about he has removed subsidy ? Is it possible to remove subsidy again after you've removed it the first time ? If he has just removed it then why was the price of petrol increase by almost 80% in his first term of ruling ?
Subsidy was removed when pump prices was increased to N145 in 2016. Of course following severe groaning from Nigerians, when oil prices increased further (prompting pump prices above N145), it was a politically inexpedient to let that happen. So subsidy was systematically re-introduced (under a new name called 'under-recovery') to peg the prices at N145. With oil prices rising much further, the amount spent / lost for the so-called under-recovery increased. This year, Covid19 crisis has forced oil prices to drop to record lows again. The government has just made another attempt (about a month or 2 ago) to stop subsidy finally. This time I doubt the govt would reverse on this decision because even the recent loan the FG got from the world bank, part of the conditions was that fuel subsidy would never be re-introduced.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by faithfull18(f): 7:56pm On Jul 01, 2020
Hmmn.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by obailala(m): 7:57pm On Jul 01, 2020
cjrane:

We paid N97 naira for a litre of petrol when crude oil price was $120 dollars/ barrel. Now that the price has reduced to $40 dollars/ barrel, we are paying almost double for the product?

Nigeria imports petrol with dollars. The exchange rate has more than doubled since the date you refer to. Do the maths!

1 Like

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Fourwinds: 7:57pm On Jul 01, 2020
ajebuter:
watch the stupid marketers increase the pump price sharp sharp

But if it is reduction of pump price, they will claim they must finish selling the old product

Awon Alayebaje
exactly what is on my mind
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 01, 2020
cjrane:

Yes we paid N97 at $120 per barrel because

1.We had enough dollars to keep the value of the naira up. (Remember in 2012,$1 =N157, now $1=N465 )

2.We also had enough dollars to pay to import fuel and pay for subsidy to keep the price of fuel at N97(between 2011-14 cost of oil per barrel was between $90-130).

3.Cost of importing fuel then (landing price ) in 2012 was N99 per liter.

It was a different time. (and no, it does not mean Buhari is good or GEJ is bad or vice versa).

1 Like

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 01, 2020
bigfish3k:

So you believe this government refining fuel at N165.
That means it's cheaper to import than to refine here
Hope you have read what is on social media where nigeria produces crude at $23 while other countries are producing at $3
Our country is fraud

We export crude oil to be refined abroad.

The cost of refining a liter of fuel is different from the cost of getting crude oil from the ground.

(And we export crude because you cannot refine fuel at N165 and more and sell at N143 per liter and make an adequate profit )
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by gemini35(m): 8:04pm On Jul 01, 2020
Nigerian govt it self is fraudulent defrauding the poor Masse's of their hard earned money,indirectly, while efcc and sars are busy chasing yahoo boys,while the bigger yahoo men are working scot free,
Is crime to be a Nigerian, mnk.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Fourwinds: 8:04pm On Jul 01, 2020
kikero:

Yes, they have to because most marketers have to pay staff, have to invest in their facilites, and also have to create jobs too.

And when government keeps the price of petrol low, they can't do all that.

That's why the marketers must set the price. So that they can make big money which they will invest in more jobs, and more facilities, and meanwhile the money we spend subsidsing fuel can be redirected to education and health.
nonsense comment.. There is no marketers that have interest of the work force at heart... They are explotative. You speak as if some of us are not in Nigeria. A fuel attendant is paid peanut. Go to Dangote cement factory the workers dont earn well but he keeps getting richer... Nonsense. Who you wan deceive
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by BobTeeJoe: 8:05pm On Jul 01, 2020
Hardship is too much in Nigeria. A country blessed with excessive mineral resources is headquarter of poverty in the world.
Nigeria is a failed nation.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 01, 2020
Fourwinds:
sometimes i wonder how you people to make comments without giving the pros and cons.. Now you are talking about saving. Where does the saved money go? Private pockets. Tell me how has Nigerians fair from this oil which is God given natural resources.. Everything looted. Just like a man who married a woman that suffered with him until he became rich and he decided to spend the money on side chics. That is the senario of Nigeria government(looters) and its citizens

And why is the saved money going to private pockets?

Because honest Nigerians like you and me refuse to do the hardwork of democracy..ie putting pressure on elected leaders to run a fair government.

We just vote and then go home. Finito.

All sucessful democracies are sucessful because people over the centruies put pressure on their governments to do the right thing. Some people even died in the process. As a result, their descendants have a better standard of living.

Blacks in America live far better than they did 100 years ago because many of them used their demcratic rights to agitate for better. And many of the fighters knew that they won't live to see the fruits of their labour. But they fought.Some suffered heavily, some even paid the ultimate price.

Here in Nigeria, we mock such people(good example Sowore) because we don't want to accept that democracy is good hard work. So we laze around on Nairaland, while our poltical leaders keep on chopping.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 01, 2020
Fourwinds:
nonsense comment.. There is no marketers that have interest of the work force at heart... They are explotative. You speak as if some of us are not in Nigeria. A fuel attendant is paid peanut. Go to Dangote cement factory the workers dont earn well but he keeps getting richer... Nonsense. Who you wan deceive

A fuel attendant is paid peanuts because that's all their marketers can afford at current prices.

We are selling fuel below the prodcution price, and you expect the marketer to have cash to pay his workers.

If you were running a shop selling shirts at N5000 after buying them at N2500, and then government comes and forces you to sell your shirts at N2000, while paying you N300 for every shirt sold, where is the profit that you would make.?How would you pay your workers adequately? How would you run your business??

That's what we have been doing to the peroleum sector, and why it is not growing.

If you want Dangote to pay his cement workers better, get your senator to pass a law guaranteeing that Dangote cement workers can form a union to agitate for better rights.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by obailala(m): 8:11pm On Jul 01, 2020
Bluntemperor:

But you failed to name the Nations that have quickly increased Prices after Covid-19 reduction? Your analysis is biased against Nigerians.Are you saying that Nigerians don't have right to cry foul for Govt small reduction in prices after Global Oil fall?
This is a reap Off in NNPC and their PPR that are being staged managed affairs.While other Nations were making substantial reduction in prices of PMS,Nigerians are being fooled with insignificant reduction at home. No wander, the NNPC AAand it's associate can't breakthrough!
Nigerians of course have a right to feel bad over harsh economic situations. But this increase you have here is just an effect of the govt no longer paying subsidies. Except your proposal is for the govt to keep paying subsidies, I'm not sure I understand what your blames are for.

Petroleum product prices in those other countries you talk about is not increasing because it has always been high; those countries have always had it deregulated and prices fixed based on market forces. I live in the UK, do you know how much I pay for a litre of fuel? £1.10 currently (and this is the lowest it's ever been , thanks to low oil prices). Pump price in Nigeria is one of the cheapest in the world even at N145, and this is because the govt always subsidises the cost. Whilst we agree that removing subsidy will cause hardship, if we must tell ourselves the truth, Nigeria cannot afford to keep paying subsidies. The only countries where the pump price is as cheap or cheaper than Nigeria are those mega rich oil producing nations like Saudi whose governments have a massive financial war-chest to even dispense petrol free of charge.

1 Like

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Luckydubby7(m): 8:13pm On Jul 01, 2020
You opened inter state movement and increased fuel price.
What a government.
Just enjoy seeing the ordinary masses suffer.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Fourwinds: 8:19pm On Jul 01, 2020
kikero:

And why is the saved money going to private pockets?

Because honest Nigerians like you and me refuse to do the hardwork of democracy..ie putting pressure on elected leaders to run a fair government.

We just vote and then go home. Finito.

All sucessful democracies are sucessful because people over the centruies put pressure on their governments to do the right thing. Some people even died in the process. As a result, their descendants have a better standard of living.

Blacks in America live far better than they did 100 years ago because many of them used their demcratic rights to agitate for better. And many of the fighters knew that they won't live to see the fruits of their labour. But they fought.Some suffered heavily, some even paid the ultimate price.

Here in Nigeria, we mock such people(good example Sowore) because we don't want to accept that democracy is good hard work. So we laze around on Nairaland, while our poltical leaders keep on chopping.
making comment nairaland doesnt equate to being lazy.. I did not vote this government. I saw what happened in their first term. I wanted a change of the government through voting but majority voted it again. May be because of 500 naira and so on
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Jahwinaboy(m): 8:20pm On Jul 01, 2020
Revolution now, we don't want to align together. On this platform some persons are encouraging us to STAND UP and many are not interested. We are doing ourselves more harm than good by Keeping Quiet
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by osteenbush(m): 8:20pm On Jul 01, 2020
Just as expected, I knew they were gonna increase the price as soon as the interstate movement ban is lifted.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by nextstep(m): 8:21pm On Jul 01, 2020
SmartProf:
These are all evidences of when a government decides to punish it's people. Of what benefit is it to Nigerians that we are an oil producing nation? Meanwhile most of these top shots in government don't even use their monies to fuel their vehicles o, it's our national budget that fuels their vehicles and generators...what a shame!

The government that is punishing the people is the government that was elected by the people. When the people get tired of the punishment, they are free to vote wisely next time, from LGA chairmen, state assemblies, National Assembly, to president.

1 Like

Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by OhBiafra: 8:24pm On Jul 01, 2020
obailala:
Oil price has risen over $40, what were people expecting? Govt to pay subsidy again?
Mumu
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Fourwinds: 8:25pm On Jul 01, 2020
kikero:

A fuel attendant is paid peanuts because that's all their marketers can afford at current prices.

We are selling fuel below the prodcution price, and you expect the marketer to have cash to pay his workers.

If you were running a shop selling shirts at N5000 after buying them at N2500, and then government comes and forces you to sell your shirts at N2000, while paying you N300 for every shirt sold, where is the profit that you would make.?How would you pay your workers adequately? How would you run your business??

That's what we have been doing to the peroleum sector, and why it is not growing.

If you want Dangote to pay his cement workers better, get your senator to pass a law guaranteeing that Dangote cement workers can form a union to agitate for better rights.

i just made mentioned of Dangote cement factory. Does the government control the price yet go and find out how much they are paid. Even oil companies have a lot of casuals just to keep the big guys at the top perpetually feeding fat
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 01, 2020
Fourwinds:
i just made mentioned of Dangote cement factory. Does the government control the price yet go and find out how much they are paid. Even oil companies have a lot of casuals not just to keep the big guys at the top perpetually feeding fat

See the last paragraph.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by waslag11(m): 8:27pm On Jul 01, 2020
naija my country, just becos interstate movement has started, so the pump price jump up
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by nextstep(m): 8:29pm On Jul 01, 2020
Jahwinaboy:
Revolution now, we don't want to align together. On this platform some persons are encouraging us to STAND UP and many are not interested. We are doing ourselves more harm than good by Keeping Quiet

Revolution is not necessary... the population has the opportunity to change their leaders, every 4 years. If people can't be bothered to choose leaders based on their capabilities now, what makes you think revolution would change anything? It would just be a different, violent way to pick mediocre leadership.

All we need is for the under-40 population to get their heads straight. They are the largest voting bloc in this country, yet they abscond on their responsibility to nominate, promote, and elect good leaders. The last election had the likes of Sowore, Chike Ukaegbu, Donald Duke, Fela Durotoye, yet none of these got up to 1% votes.

When people, especially youths, complain bitterly about bad leaders, I can't help but feel angry. They have the power to choose, yet refuse to do so.
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by femakins: 8:31pm On Jul 01, 2020
I knew the reduced price will not last long they are just cajoling we citizens. Should dey even think of increasing the fuel price at this trying period for us?
God come and deliver our land
Re: PPPRA Increases Price Of Petrol From N140.80 To N143.80 Per Litre by Fourwinds: 8:35pm On Jul 01, 2020
kikero:

See the last paragraph.
what is wrong with the paragraph

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okwy Onwuka: IPOB Coordinator Resigns, Vows To Fight IPOB / Why We Re-arrested Fani-kayode – EFCC / Florence Ita Giwa Celebrates Her 74th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.