Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,109 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Indigine Vs Settler - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indigine Vs Settler (4435 Views)

Arewa To Abolish Indigene-settler Policy / S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause / Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 4:21am On Feb 04, 2011
This is one topic that will continue to generate more questions than answers in the Nigerian polity.First of all we cannot define indigine because there will be a lot difficulties.In the actual sense of it we are all settlers.The question becomes "who first settled where and when?"
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 4:24am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^^^

indigenes are the people you meet when you get to a land or place be it there were groups there before them

1 Like

Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 4:25am On Feb 04, 2011
alj harem:

^^^^^

indigenes are the people you meet when you get to a land or place be it there were groups there before them

What then do we call the groups before them?
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 4:28am On Feb 04, 2011
Take a look at this definition.

# S: (n) native, indigen, indigene, aborigine, aboriginal (an indigenous person who was born in a particular place)

"the art of the natives of the northwest coast"; "the Canadian government scrapped plans to tax the grants to aboriginal college students"

http://www.websters-dictionary-online.org/definitions/indigene?cx=partner-pub-0939450753529744%3Av0qd01-tdlq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=indigene&sa=Search#906
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Chyz2: 4:30am On Feb 04, 2011
Abagworo:

Take a look at this definition.

# S: (n) native, indigen, indigene, aborigine, aboriginal (an indigenous person who was born in a particular place)

"the art of the natives of the northwest coast"; "the Canadian government scrapped plans to tax the grants to aboriginal college students"

No matter how politically correct you try to sound.It is what it is and you can't change the reality.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 4:32am On Feb 04, 2011
Abagworo:

What then do we call the groups before them?

you call them indigenes

alj harem:

^^^^^

Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 4:33am On Feb 04, 2011
Chyz*:

No matter how politically correct you try to sound.It is what it is and you can change the reality.

That was the literal definition from Websters.Nigerians have a political definition that cannot really be ascertained.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Rhino5dm: 4:35am On Feb 04, 2011
i think we should be more concerned about the OWNER of land than this Indigine/Settler thing. I took time to ask such in the past, but nobody was able to give me a comprehensive response.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 4:41am On Feb 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

i think we should be more concerned about the OWNER of land than this Indigine/Settler thing. I took time to ask such in the past, but nobody was able to give me a comprehensive response.

no no no

the owner of the land may have gotten it in an illegal way

also, the indigenes still have more rights than the settler (so called owner of the land) so as not to cause trouble
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 4:43am On Feb 04, 2011
I don't believe this indigene vs settler issue is that difficult to ascertain. Simply put, is said person a son/daughter of soil? If not, then they have no indigenous claim.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 4:49am On Feb 04, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I don't believe this indigene vs settler issue is that difficult to ascertain. Simply put, is said person a son/daughter of soil? If not, then they have no indigenous claim.

even better

thanks
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 4:50am On Feb 04, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Help us define son/daughter of the soil?
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 5:17am On Feb 04, 2011
Abagworo:

Help us define son/daughter of the soil?
That's sort of like presenting a definition for ethnicity, which is such a complex notion. Although, I guess we can try to characterize (not necessarily define) son/daughter of the soil by asking about said individuals social/cultural affiliation, community/blood affiliation, and where their 'right of soil' (can this concept even be further defined?) lies. The above may seem more or less vague, but they could very well shed light on a person's indigenous status.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Rhino5dm: 5:28am On Feb 04, 2011
Okay. Alhaji can you help tell the Americans that they are not indigines of north America?
Look people will aways acquired land and it became thiers period!

alj harem:

no no no

the owner of the land may have gotten it in an illegal way

also, the indigenes still have more rights than the settler (so called owner of the land) so as not to cause trouble

The Ikwerre man will sale land to an Ibo, after wastefully exhusting the money through buying of jeep and marrying a new wife, will later start dragging land again cos he feels he is an indigine. Thats unfair!

My advice to all. If you must by a land then by a Gun! Killed any i.d.i.ot that will want to take it from you. And if you get killed you a hero. o ti pari!
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by ChinenyeN(m): 5:36am On Feb 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

The Ikwerre man will sale land to an Ibo, after wastefully exhusting the money through buying of jeep and marrying a new wife, will later start dragging land again cos he feels he is an indigine. Thats unfair!

My advice to all. If you must by a land then by a Gun! Killed any i.d.i.ot that will want to take it from you. And if you get killed you a hero. o ti pari!
First of all, your argument of 'they bought it, they own it' doesn't really hold much when it comes to this indigene vs settler issue, which is very real for our various peoples. Secondly, your already weak-standing argument loses major points for the bolded, due to its tricky wording. Either rephrase that, or find a better scenario.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Chyz2: 5:36am On Feb 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Okay. Alhaji can you help tell the Americans that they are not indigines of north America?
Look people will aways acquired land and it became thiers period!

The Ikwerre man will sale land to an Ibo
, after wastefully exhusting the money through buying of jeep and marrying a new wife, will later start dragging land again cos he feels he is an indigine. Thats unfair!

First off, an Ikwerre man selling land to his father's son,is an Ikwerre man selling land to an Ibo. Same difference. Now as far as selling land goes, the ikwerre youths have become really money hungry and flasshy these days, they sell their poppas land at the snap of a finger and go buy jeep or materialistic nonsense to impress women.They've forgotten our culture.I guess they've picked it up from the neighboring ethnic group. Them not investing wisely is their own fault.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 5:47am On Feb 04, 2011
Chyz*:

First off, an Ikwerre man selling land to his father's son,is an Ikwerre man selling land to an Ibo. Same difference. Now as far as selling land goes, the ikwerre youths have become really money hungry and flasshy these days, they sell their poppas land at the snap of a finger and go buy jeep or materialistic nonsense to impress women.They've forgotten our culture.I guess they've picked it up from the neighboring ethnic group. Them not investing wisely is their own fault.

This thread is not about sale of land.I do not like the reference to Ikwerre at all.That is disgusting to me.It is not peculiar with any group to lavish unearned money.I realized that Nigeria has a problem of indigine/settler brewing and yet we cannot define the groups to which we belong.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Rhino5dm: 5:52am On Feb 04, 2011
once you acquierd a land you are its new Indegine. Period!

"Every body was once a settler"
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Rhino5dm: 5:57am On Feb 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

people of bakassi can attest to that. They were once an indegine of bakassi and now settlers of Akwa Ibom.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 5:59am On Feb 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

look, if you buy a land and the people the community do not want you, sorry because you can not step in that land

before you buy a land, you have to know the kind of community you are buying the land in, ok

you can not say you have bought a land and you are the new indigene, that is bullcrap, when violence starts, you will be the first to get killed and anyone living with you and there is nothing the police or any body apart from God that will help you.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 6:00am On Feb 04, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

people of bakassi can attest to that. They were once an indegine of bakassi and now settlers of Akwa Ibom.

unlucky but that goes way back to biafra war were it was believed that they supported biafra, now the south-east have no choice but to accept them
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by GAR3TH(m): 6:07am On Feb 04, 2011
Humans (Homo sapiens) have been around almost 200,000 years plus. Are you telling me that the so call "indigenous" people have been living on that same piece of land for over 200,000 years. The answer is no. people come and people go, no one owns the earth. you might say your the indigenous ethnic group that "owns" the land. fact is other ethnic groups and people have "owned" the land before. . .200,000 years before you!!!!

In reality there is no such thing as Indigine because we are all settlers.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by otokx(m): 6:11am On Feb 04, 2011
What is all this nonsense talk of IKWERRE people did this and that? You people should stop it henceforth.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 6:11am On Feb 04, 2011
GAR3TH:

Humans (Homo sapiens) have been around almost 200,000 years plus. Are you telling me that the so call "indigenous" people have been living on that same peice of land for over 200,000 years. The answer is no. people come and people go, no one owns the earth. you might say your the indigenous ethnic group that "owns" the land. fact is other ethnic groups and people have "owned" the land before. . .200,000 years before you!!!!

In reality there is no such thing as Indigine because we are all settlers.
if you look at it form that point of view, then that's good

but if you look at it from an african point of view were genocides happens and kills happen like killing chickens, then you want to protect what you have and you do not want to be fighting in your ancentors land like jos.

if you understand what i mean smiley
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 6:12am On Feb 04, 2011
otokx:

What is all this nonsense talk of IKWERRE people did this and that? You people should stop it henceforth.

stop what, it is igbos that own port harcount not ikwerri, not now not ever angry
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by otokx(m): 6:15am On Feb 04, 2011
Tell that to the birds
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Rhino5dm: 6:26am On Feb 04, 2011
alj harem:

look, if you buy a land and the people the community do not want you, sorry because you can not step in that land

before you buy a land, you have to know the kind of community you are buying the land in, ok

you can not say you have bought a land and you are the new indigene, that is bullcrap, when violence starts, you will be the first to get killed and anyone living with you and there is nothing the police or any body apart from God that will help you.

comminuty restiveness shouldnt be reason why i will forfeit my ownership, and if i may ask where were the indigines when i was labouring to buy the land?? (hostitlites cool ask the isrealites grin

"i rather die laike a man than live like a cow.ard."

If God should be for me who can be against me.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by aljharem(m): 6:33am On Feb 04, 2011
^^^^^

okayooo brother goodluck grin grin wink smiley
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by asha80(m): 7:41am On Feb 04, 2011
i guess the issue jos btought about this topic.

well let us view this scenario.i have cousins who were born and brought up in lagos.aslo their dad was born in lagos too.however in the village their is a efik man that was born and brought up there the same thing with the efik guys father.

now who is more of the indigene of the village my cousins who hardly visit their village or the efik guy who speaks and behaves more like the villagers been second generation guy there?
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by asha80(m): 8:21am On Feb 04, 2011
i need answer to above?
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by T9ksy(m): 11:55am On Feb 04, 2011
Your cousin is a settler in Lagos just as the efik man is also a settler in your village.

If, in the future, there's a disagreement between Lagos and your cousin's village, am sure your cousin will not side with Lagos to kill and maim his relatives in your village. will he, now? Despite the fact that your cousin speak the indigenous lang., dressed like them and have adopted some of their mannerism & culture.

@ poster,

regardless of how long you igbos reside in Lagos and how much property and businesses you own in the state, you will foreever remain settlers in Lagos.
Re: Indigine Vs Settler by Abagworo(m): 11:59am On Feb 04, 2011
asha 80:

i guess the issue jos btought about this topic.

well let us view this scenario.i have cousins who were born and brought up in lagos.aslo their dad was born in lagos too.however in the village their is a efik man that was born and brought up there the same thing with the efik guys father.

now who is more of the indigene of the village my cousins who hardly visit their village or the efik guy who speaks and behaves more like the villagers been second generation guy there?

The Efik guy is an indigine but in Nigerian context a lot of factors come into play.The mistake made by a lot of people lies in the belief that abolishing it will favour Igbos.The poster above is a typical example.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

U.S., Homosexuality, And The Hypocrisy Of Nigerians! / I Was Surprised To See "Buharification" In My New Oxford Dictionary Today(Photo) / Amphibious Unit of BSS In Tactical Military Drill Exercise (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.