Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge (5623 Views)

Again, El-rufai Appoints Non-indigene As Head Of Service / Arewa To Abolish Indigene-settler Policy / S’east, S’west, S’south Divided Over Indigene/settler Clause (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by nduchucks: 10:41pm On Nov 20, 2011
Tinubu Calls For New Thinking To Resolve Indigene/settler Question

I am with Tinubu on this one, particularly the bolded text.

Unless Nigerian policy makers, researchers, and political leaders come up quickly with bold and new initiatives, Nigeria will remain in a developmental quagmire perpetually on the path of aspiration. This, according to former governor of Lagos State and national leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria, is the challenge before our Nigeria. “To free ourselves of the old mental shackles, we must discard old thinking. The problem is that we have not produced an alternative world view. People must think and act on something.  Before they leave the old, you must offer them the new, which is superior or more preferable…”

In an address at the 2011 Distinguished Annual Lecture of the National Institute for Strategic Studies, Kuru last Friday, titled, “Managing Nigeria’s Pluralism for Peace and National Development” Asiwaju Tinubu warned against the tyranny of dead and unworkable ideas and how they slow the country down on the path of peaceful co-existence and national development.

“In several areas, Nigeria is stuck in the past, applying decadent policies to new, and more virulent problems. At moments like this, the nation turns to the National Institute for new ideas that should make us break from the moribund past’. Tinubu then went on to throw a challenge at the National Institute, the participants and the Alumni to serve as incubators of new thinking and bold initiatives as Nigeria’s foremost policy think-tank. “I ask that you develop new ideas on the three issues I will set before you today; agricultural revolution, indigene/settler question and power generation-after developing them, forward them to the Federal Government to test the sincerity of the national leadership in accelerating national development and promoting peace”. On agriculture, Tinubu said, “The Agricultural sector presents Nigeria her surest escape from the ball-and-chain of unemployment and low economic activity. The shop-worn idea that the federal government must import fertilizer belongs to the junkyard. Fertilizer importation remains a vehicle of corruption bleeding the country of billions of naira yearly.  The over 400 billion naira fertilizer subsidy can be channeled into new agricultural initiatives, commodity boards and support for farmers”.

On Indigene/Settler question, Tinubu said, “The anachronistic and false distinction between indigenes and settlers has cost so many lives, destroyed so many communities and marred our national identity.  We must apply the constitutional guarantees in this kind of situation. If we must deploy tanks and armed soldiers for peace, we have already lost something.  Government must give meaning to these words of our first anthem,”O God of all creation, Grant this our one request, Help us to build a nation, Where no man is oppressed… I call upon NIPSS to further interrogate the ‘settler” issue within our constitutional and legal framework and be bold enough to come up with a policy paper on this matter to be presented to Abuja. No Nigerian should be discriminated against on the basis of religion, sex, ethnicity, place of birth or the place he or she chooses to reside.  Unless we do this, Nigeria’s pluralism is mere talk”.

Tinubu examined how Nigeria’s pluralistic nature has served it well and how it can further advance Nigeria’s search for peace and accelerated development if well managed. According to Tinubu, Pluralism connotes diversity and should be used for the promotion of harmonious relationship, prosperity of the commonwealth and the development of knowledge irrespective of political or religious inclinations.

http://sundaytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8514:tinubu-calls-for-new-thinking-to-resolve-indigenesettler-question&catid=54:lead-stories&Itemid=127
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by aljharem3: 10:52pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I am with Tinubu on this one, particularly the bolded text.

My friend, I am also with Tinubu on this BUT the issue with Nigeria is that it is not fair on other Mostly the minorities.

Imagine this

if the present governor of a state is not performing, people with primitive minds would immediatly relate it to his ethnicity. Even in Lagos a yoruba such as tinubu when through a lot just because he is a yoruba from Osun and not a Lagos.

Not to talk of Kanuri or zuru. I hope you see what I mean.

just already, take a look at Jos, Delta, rivers, Kogi, all these states are facing tribalism criticise. Why do you think the aniomas of delta want to form there own state ?

I think we should just let things like this happen naturally instead of passing a law or removing it.

I would not want someone from another ethnic group, do JJC and come to my state only for him to be developing his pocket instead of my state. Riot would happen
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 10:53pm On Nov 20, 2011
The same Tinubu whose ward Fasola deported fellow Nigerians from Lagos.

FOLKS BEWARE OF A FAKE PRETENDER
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Onlytruth(m): 10:56pm On Nov 20, 2011
Posted by: alj_harem

My friend, I am also with Tinubu on this BUT

My friend why do you always have BUTs with bold attempts at unity?
You either want it or you don't. There are no buts about it.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by asha80(m): 11:05pm On Nov 20, 2011
maybe tinubu has had her wife in mind when saying this.not sure t a orji will agree with him
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by aljharem3: 11:22pm On Nov 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

My friend why do you always have BUTs with bold attempts at unity?
You either want it or you don't. There are no buts about it.
Nwanne kedu!!
I have to put "but" there because in an ideal society, what Tinubu stated should be the case

NIGERIA IS NOT YET AN IDEA SOCIETY.

well I gave a senario for ndu-chuks and I hope you read it as well
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Onlytruth(m): 11:28pm On Nov 20, 2011

Nwanne kedu!!
I have to put "but" there because in an ideal society, what Tinubu stated should be the case

NIGERIA IS NOT YET AN IDEA SOCIETY.

well I gave a senario for ndu-chuks and I hope you read it as well

That is how you people always put confusion in Nigeria and blame us for wanting out.
It is like saying you are marrying your wife on a "BUT" basis. If she is smart, she would leave you with your BUT before you mess her up.

Like I said, it is either you want unity -WARTS AND ALL- or you don't.
Here I stand. cool
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by aljharem3: 11:44pm On Nov 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

That is how you people always put confusion in Nigeria and blame us for wanting out.
It is like saying you are marrying your wife on a "BUT" basis. If she is smart, she would leave you with your BUT before you mess her up.

Like I said, it is either you want unity -WARTS AND ALL- or you don't.
Here I stand. cool

when a country is not mature to do something, why should u force it ?
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Onlytruth(m): 11:51pm On Nov 20, 2011

when a country is not mature to do something, why should u force it ?

Two questions arise from your comment

(1) When would that country mature?

(2) Will it ever mature?

That we are still asking these questions after 51 years justifies those of us who think that we are wasting each others' time. Why not everyone go his way NOW.
Which sane human being would wait for infinity?
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by aljharem3: 12:12am On Nov 21, 2011
Onlytruth:

Two questions arise from your comment

(1) When would that country mature?

(2) Will it ever mature?

That we are still asking these questions after 51 years justifies those of us who think that we are wasting each others' time. Why not everyone go his way NOW.
Which sane human being would wait for infinity?

1. It would get mature when we spend more time with each other. Countries like Saudi, America, Britain etc even china were all hundred of years old.

Impatient is what you are exhibiting here, which is VERY VERY UNDERSTANDABLE. You see Nigeria is a geographical expression that composes of different countires trying to form a country together.

You do not force things to happen in this sort of expression. rather you give it time.

If it was Hausa country, Kanuri Country, Yoruba country, Igbo country, Ijaw country etc It would have been a totally different case

2. Yes would get mature if it is give time.

51 Years is a short time, Very short and look at what we have achieved.

Let me tell you something that you must have seen but have not taken notice.

Minorities are been absorbed

People are now speaking just 3 languages instead of 250

Most people have mixed ancestry ranging from Yoruba/igbo to hausa/igbo to Yoruba/hausa etc This sort of people give 100 years time would not know there culture so they would rather identify as Nigerians rather than Yoruba or hausa or igbo

So right now that the majority is still "I am Ijaw" "I am nupe" etc then such would be difficult to foresee.

Rather those with mix ancestry would called Nigerians.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by djustice: 12:25am On Nov 21, 2011
This is the same Tinubu whose houseboy, Fashola, deported fellow Nigerians from Lagos State, on his express orders

Of course, he's only doing this because of the wahala he has found himself in with indigenous Lagosians, especially those in ACN, lately. Then there's the question of his wife.

He conveniently forgot this issue of unity when he sent his wife and his dog in the senate, Ashafa, to question the eligibility of Roli George to hold a federal appointment on the Lagos slot.

He also forgot the question of competence when he ordered the same people to roll over for the clearly incompetent Aganga at his confirmation hearing in the same senate a couple of months ago. This is the Aganga that couldn't balance the budget, gave us a budget with 74% recurrent expenditure.

Yekini Amoda Ogunlere, aka Bola Tinubu is just trying to be clever by half, seeing as he wants to use Aganaga, who is clearly another of his moles in PDP, as one of his options for Lagos State governor in 2015. The other options are his wife and Hakeem Muri-Okunola. All are non Lagosians. In Aganga's case, he NEVER actually schooled or lived in Lagos. Was not even born here. Tinubu's statement is just self-serving hypocrisy.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by DEEHASAL(m): 2:40am On Nov 21, 2011
Tinubu's message is for T.A.Orji !!!!!!
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 3:31am On Nov 21, 2011
djustice:

This is the same Tinubu whose houseboy, Fashola, deported fellow Nigerians from Lagos State, on his express orders

Of course, he's only doing this because of the wahala he has found himself in with indigenous Lagosians, especially those in ACN, lately. Then there's the question of his wife.

He conveniently forgot this issue of unity when he sent his wife and his dog in the senate, Ashafa, to question the eligibility of Roli George to hold a federal appointment on the Lagos slot.

He also forgot the question of competence when he ordered the same people to roll over for the clearly incompetent Aganga at his confirmation hearing in the same senate a couple of months ago. This is the Aganga that couldn't balance the budget, gave us a budget with 74% recurrent expenditure.

Yekini Amoda Ogunlere, aka Bola Tinubu is just trying to be clever by half, seeing as he wants to use Aganaga, who is clearly another of his moles in PDP, as one of his options for Lagos State governor in 2015. The other options are his wife and Hakeem Muri-Okunola. All are non Lagosians. In Aganga's case, he NEVER actually schooled or lived in Lagos. Was not even born here. Tinubu's statement is just self-serving hypocrisy.

Thank you. Tinubu is a bloody hypocrite.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by kufreabasi(m): 2:54pm On Nov 21, 2011
This is a political tonque that can hardly yeild no result.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by PeeDaVinci: 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2011
pple need to go back and read buhari/bakare manifesto on this.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by TenKobo1: 3:17pm On Nov 21, 2011
When this hypocrisy stop, we will move forward.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:48pm On Nov 21, 2011
but all u hypocrites pointing the finger should note where the other four is pointing.

if only my yoruba brethren wise up. only in the west will chidi become local govt chairman, commissioner etc. only in the west will their be trips to solicit ndigbo and aboki pple. only in the west will foriegn pple have kings and queens
only in the west will nnamdi, and abubakar become student union president.

yet it is anathema for kolawole to dare take to.politics in onitsha, i dont know of any baale or oba of Yoruba community in aba. bola will never even dream of being secretary of ABU student union

how many big businesses owned by femi exist in ariaria? but pple like tinubu will keep selling us for a mess of pottage in the name of integrating the failed project called nigeria.

yoruba ronu. the very least we owe others is to let them the leeway they afford us, not more, not less
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by executinal(m): 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2011
NIGERIA can be at peace again if our parents can galvanize their homes by coping from mr n mrs. COCK above. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by blacklion(m): 3:58pm On Nov 21, 2011
The same Tinubu who unleashed his army of area boys on hapless non-indigenes in Lagos and gave them full leeway to harass and extort the non-indigenes as reward for the area boys rigging elections for him all throughout his tenure?

The Trade Fair complex markets were built within 2 years just so that the Igbo traders could escape the incessant harassment by Tinubu's foot soldiers at Balogun market. Many of the traders readily moved into uncompleted shops at Trade Fair just to escape from Tinubu's goons.

The same Tinubu never saw anything wrong with the extortion and harassment of Igbo traders by his area boys but was instead making excuses and justifying their nefarious actions even as Oba Akiolu of Lagos was denouncing the area boys' antics and disassociating Lagos indigenes from their activities.

Yeye dey smell!
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 4:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
4llerbuntu:

but all u hypocrites pointing the finger should note where the other four is pointing.

if only my yoruba brethren wise up. only in the west will chidi become local govt chairman, commissioner etc.   only in the west will their be trips to solicit ndigbo and aboki pple. only in the west will foriegn  pple have kings and queens

yet it is anathema for kolawole to dare take to.politics in onitsha, i dont know of any baale or oba of Yoruba community in aba.  bola will never even dream of being secretary of ABU student union

how many big businesses owned by femi exist in ariaria?  but pple like tinubu will keep selling us for a mess of pottage in the name of integrating the failed project called nigeria.

yoruba ronu.   the very least we owe others is to let them the leeway they afford us, not more, not less

You must be a stark ignoramus who has not left the four walls of Yorubaland. A Yoruba was SUG president when I schooled in Nigeria and it was not in Yorubaland,  A number of Yorubas have been commissioners or held all sorts of govt office in other parts of Nigeria in the past and possibly even now. And you lie that a non Yoruba has been chairman of an LGA in Yoruba land. Please provide the proof. Or bury your head in shame. Bloody liar. Who prevented Femi from owning business in Ariaria? Will they force you to own one?
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
4llerbuntu:

if only my yoruba brethren wise up. only in the west will chidi become local govt chairman, commissioner etc. only in the west will their be trips to solicit ndigbo and aboki pple. only in the west will foriegn pple have kings and queens

yet it is anathema for kolawole to dare take to.politics in onitsha, i dont know of any baale or oba of Yoruba community in aba. bola will never even dream of being secretary of ABU student union

how many big businesses owned by femi exist in ariaria? but pple like tinubu will keep selling us for a mess of pottage in the name of integrating the failed project called nigeria.

yoruba ronu. the very least we owe others is to let them the leeway they afford us, not more, not less

Can you explain what all these Yorubas in Abia (watch video) are doing in Abia? Are they there just for the sake of being there or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXVWJxqD2c&feature=related
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 4:41pm On Nov 21, 2011
Festus Adedayo,
Special Adviser (Media) to Governor Chimaroke Nnamani of Enugu State.

http://www.ebeano.org/news/jan_apr06/efcc.html

Dr. Festus Adedayo has worked with former Governor Chimaroke Nnamani of Enugu state

http://www.radionigeriaibadan.com/news/popular-news/870-governor-ajimobi-appoints-ssg-and-chief-of-staff
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by egift(m): 4:43pm On Nov 21, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

pple need to go back and read buhari/bakare manifesto on this.

Thank you my brother. It was part of his primary agenda, but we have the "I had no shoes". I really think things like this need to be clearly stated out in our constitution.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2011
What impresses me mostly about Shekarau's leadership prowess is his peaceful nature of governance as well as his belief in one Nigeria project. Imagine an Ibo Christian appointed by Shekarau administration as Special Adviser, including Yoruba and a minority person from the middle belt. I know what was obtained between 1999 and 2003 when most of the so called non indigenes were sacked from the state government establishment, which resulted in loss of Medical personnel

http://www.huhuonline.com/index.php?Itemid=379&catid=89:finance&id=2354:2011-in-support-of-governor-shekarau-for-president&option=com_content&view=article
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 4:48pm On Nov 21, 2011
egift:

Thank you my brother. It was part of his primary agenda, but we have the "I had no shoes". I really think things like this need to be clearly stated out in our constitution.

So it is Mr President-I- had- no-shoes who is now to blame for the indigene/settler problem that has been with Nigeria since before independence? Na waoh!!!
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by egift(m): 6:04pm On Nov 21, 2011
Francis-1:

So it is Mr President-I- had- no-shoes who is now to blame for the indigene/settler problem that has been with Nigeria since before independence? Na waoh!!!

So Mr Francis, what has the President done about it? Since the solution is long overdue. What has he done (or is) about it that should exonerate him?
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 6:32pm On Nov 21, 2011
egift:

So Mr Francis, what has the President done about it? Since the solution is long overdue. What has he done (or is) about it that should exonerate him?

Whose role is it to pass laws? The president or the parliament? I did not know that in Nigeria a democratic president can wake up and abrogate part of the constitution (your insinuation, not mine).

And BTW, as a citizen, why do you not send a private bill to abrogate the settler/indigene problem?

Yeah! Let's blame everything on GEJ, the shoeless president. SMH
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
Francis-1:

Whose role is it to pass laws? The president or the parliament? I did not know that in Nigeria a democratic president can wake up and abrogate part of the constitution.

And BTW, as a citizen, why do you not send a private bill to abrogate the settler/indigene problem?

Yeah! Let's blame everything on GEJ, the shoeless president. SMH
parliament do pass the law. The President is only a reprsentative of the nation(people)
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 7:15pm On Nov 21, 2011
BCuZiMBlaCk:

parliament do pass the law. The President is only a reprsentative of the nation(people)

We are on the same page. I was asking those blaming the president.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by jmaine: 7:40pm On Nov 21, 2011
Buhari/Bakare Manifesto indeed . . . Bunch of eediots . . .
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by samstradam: 7:44pm On Nov 21, 2011
Francis-1:

Whose role is it to pass laws? The president or the parliament? [b]Yeah! Let's blame everything on GEJ, the shoeless president. SMH
Yes you must be right, he has no business with law making in this country- thats why when he won his reelection and Jos was burning and BH massacring innocent non-indigenes, his first course of action was to publically send a bill for term elongation straight to the house of assembly. Just keep on trying to warp reality.
Re: Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge by Francis5: 7:49pm On Nov 21, 2011
samstradam:

Yes you must be right, he has no business with law making in this country- thats why when he won his reelection and Jos was burning and BH massacring innocent non-indigenes, his first course of action was to publically send a bill for term elongation straight to the house of assembly. Just keep on trying to warp reality.

May be you need to attend a Govt 101 class. If he can make/pass the law/bill you cited above, he would not have sent it to the National Assembly (NA) but would have passed it himself. You have as much right as the president to send any bill on what pleases you to the NA, whose role it is to pass or not pass it into law. DUH.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Exactly Is The Role Of National Assembly In Nigeria / Twitter On Fire As Nigerians Come For Atiku / Sanwo-Olu Signs ₦1.75 Trillion Naira 2022 Budget For Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.