Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (64070 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:37am On Jul 03, 2007
For someone who keeps barking that "something isnt worth responding to", you sure wont leave this thread alone. Didirin

You didnt answer the question, DoucheMan. I said translated they BOTH mean "naming of the child", so where exactly did you get "ceremony" from?

Since your stupid arse believes every Yoruba person has a huge lavish "road blocking" party when it comes to a naming. All cos you lived in Lagos, right? Ode.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 3:54am On Jul 03, 2007
Donzman:

PLEASE IF YOU KNOW THIS NAMING CEREMONY EXISTS, PLEASE DO TELL US HOW IT TAKES PLACE! I do not think this is very hard for an event that exists, traditional marriages, new yam festivals, I can easily tell you what it involves.

TerraCotta,Laudate, Thiefofhearts, you all know of this Igbo naming ceremony, please tell us how it unfolds and the key players involved.

Your question has been answered several times in other posts in the thread. I really don't know how you would have missed that if you read what has been posted. Laudate added a link several pages back describing a traditional Igbo naming ceremony in fairly great detail. It was written by someone you would ethnically approve of, but it seems you didn't bother to read it. I'll post it again (along with another detailed reference that tells you 'how it unfolds and the key players involved') if you can move this discussion over to the correct thread.

Freewilly:

Guy seriously I don't see why this naming ceremony thing should even be a topic of discussion, even if Igbos have a naming ceremony so what. When My kid sister was born, a few of my parents friends came over drank beer and eat food and that was it. My kid sister was named after our big mama because every body said she looked like her.

I don't know why the naming ceremony thing is a topic of discussion either, although if your parents had gone as far as to block off a street or two in a major Nigerian city, some people here would have forced you to change ethnicities. cheesy

Please back to tribal marks.

I'd like to, but almost everyone else seems to be into this naming ceremony thing. undecided

TOH--Good night wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by spoilt(f): 4:56am On Jul 03, 2007
i must say that i am dissapointed at the way this thread is continually degenerating into cheap name calling and down right ignorant posts. i am even more disappointed at some of the people who should know better rather than carry on with this purposeless feud. in as much as i like matters brought to the table to be tackled and looked at from different angles this thread has strayed beyond the boundaries of common sense.
right now i dont even know why seun hasn't locked this thread. seriously you guys should spare us the bad behaviour. i dont think i can take any more. this is getting down right ridiculous.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 6:11am On Jul 03, 2007
I feel you on that spoilt, come to think of it, if not this thread it's just going to another one so seun can lock this thread all he wants, this drama is just going to continue in another thread. Just look at the way naming ceremony and osu just appeared on this thread from nowhere just because thiefofheart and here little gang could not stand the fact that some few on here want to learn about some facial mutilation practiced by the Yoruba.

PS

where is Ogidiboy sef grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Josh4ever9: 8:58am On Jul 03, 2007
Why must u call it facial mutilation? And the way u say the Yoruba is misleading, that is saying the whole of yoruba land practice [b][/b]tribal marking
Just as some people get annoyed when TOH and others say the igbo have naming ceremonies, some people get annoyed when freewilly and others say the yoruba practice facial mutilation, that is why this thread is never going to stop, until everybody stops ascribing something a subgroup of people do to the whole group,
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 12:49pm On Jul 03, 2007
Donzman:

@Laudate

I was calling you a pathological liar for fun but now you're one INDEED. Nobody on these threads ever denied that "naming" didn't exist in Igboland, we said there were no naming CEREMONIES. Geez, if we didn't name our kids, I suppose they came out of the womb with custom made name tags from God, you people are comical!

Donzman:

@Loudmouthed Laudate

It shows how little you know your cousins to think they were only named on their christening day. I was christended and so did other 30+ kids in my family that I know of (Thank God), we had names before the christening day!

PLEASE IF YOU KNOW THIS NAMING CEREMONY EXISTS, PLEASE DO TELL US HOW IT TAKES PLACE! I do not think this is very hard for an event that exists, traditional marriages, new yam festivals, I can easily tell you what it involves.

TerraCotta,Laudate, Thiefofhearts, you all know of this Igbo naming ceremony, please tell us how it unfolds and the key players involved.

Oh dear. . . . .I haven't laughed this much in ages! wink You really must learn how to stop throwing tantrums, Donzman. Grow up! When I said you flunked your English exams a while back, you kept mute. Now I see the reason why. You were obviously subjected to a lot of verbal abuse as a child, that is why it is so easy for you to hurl insults at anyone who doesn't share your point of view. Shame!! Seek therapy for your condition Donzman, and stop being angry at the world.  tongue

Secondly, learn how to conduct research. You have been whining & scrounging for references. At the risk of repeating myself (gosh, some folks just don't get it!), go back a few pages, and read through all the links that were supplied in my previous posts & open up the books that were also cited. Can you do that on your own, or do you need help??  sad

Finally, you have been told over & over, that naming a child in Yoruba land, is not synonymous with a lavish road party or a big ceremony. Usually, only families with deep pockets, or spendthrifts do that in Lagos, not all over the South-West. Yet you keep insisting that naming a child in Yoruba land, is equivalent to throwing a big ceremony and blocking traffic. Oh mi gosh!! This is just so funny!! Must things be repeated more than once, for you to get the point being made? Anyway, let me leave you to wallow in your pit of ignorance and self-delusion. You have always been good at that.

On a last note: Sign up for a few tutorials in contemporary Nigerian culture. It will help you to stop viewing other ethnic groups, through a myopic lens!  grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 1:07pm On Jul 03, 2007
Josh4ever9:

Why must u call it facial mutilation? And the way u say the Yoruba is misleading, that is saying the whole of yoruba land practice [/b]tribal marking
Just as some people get annoyed when TOH and others say the igbo have naming ceremonies, some people get annoyed when freewilly and others say the yoruba practice facial mutilation, [b]that is why this thread is never going to stop, until everybody stops ascribing something a subgroup of people do to the whole group,

Josh4ever9, those who wish to learn about facial marks or tribal marks, can find more than enough material in the preceding pages of this thread. Those who are now on this page, claiming to be seeking for info. are nothing but whiners, with an ethnic-bashing motive.

Abeg, siddon look. Enjoy the drama that the tribalistic cartel have unleashed on this thread. Their responses are actually beginning to get hilarious!! grin Nothing beats the comic relief in their comments!! Hahahaha. . . . grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:55pm On Jul 03, 2007
And the way u say the Yoruba is misleading, that is saying the whole of yoruba land practice [b][/b]tribal marking

Notice how the foolish OP hasnt been back since. Ironic isnt it?

It doesnt even matter cos Iman/4Play had already exposed their true intentions from the beginning.  wink
e mi ko ni won ton je
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 03, 2007
Yeah, he'll post it if it is moved over to the correct thread! Who's a kid here?. . .I hope you're not counting on posting the story about the man trying to find out if his kid is really his reincarnated father because that isn't a naming ceremony. I can imagine if every Igboman had to go through what that man did just to name a kid, we'll have kids born in 1995 still trying to acquire a name. Bookworms are really of no use in real life.

The challenge is still on the table, if you know how this naming ceremony takes place, post it. Put up or shut up, no more gibberish from non-entities!

@Loudmouth Laudate

Stop being stupid, I'm telling you naming ceremonies do not exist in Igboland. You're claiming it exists, it's upto you to provide me with details on how this naming ceremony takes place.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 03, 2007
Infact it is as easy as ABC, if you have ATTENDED this naming ceremony, come out and say so, also do not forget to tell us how it went.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 5:47pm On Jul 03, 2007
Donzman:

Infact it is as easy as ABC, if you have ATTENDED this naming ceremony, come out and say so, also do not forget to tell us how it went.

Why on earth should I tell you about how naming ceremonies are conducted in your own culture? Have you forgotten that you now speak for all Nd'Igbo on nairaland? I keep telling you to get off your butt and do some research. You keep expecting people to spoon-feed you with information. And that has always been your problem. No wonder you flunked all your exams in school.  tongue

Donzman:

The challenge is still on the table, if you know how this naming ceremony takes place, post it. Put up or shut up, no more gibberish from non-entities!

@Loudmouth Laudate

Stop being stupid, I'm telling you naming ceremonies do not exist in Igboland. You're claiming it exists, it's upto you to provide me with details on how this naming ceremony takes place.

Hmmn. . . .another cuss word from Donzman, the Minister of Insults on Nairaland. Why do you keep exposing your pathetic ignorance, eh? Once you open your mouth, the next thing that flies out is an insult. It merely gives us a sneak preview into the contents of your brain, which isn't much to write home about. How sad.  undecided

Finally, why should it be up to me to provide details of how the ceremony is conducted? I have already supplied references in my previous posts, now you want me to tell you how it is conducted. Hehehehe. . . .next thing you will be asking for someone to help you pour water in your mouth! Lazybones!! Donzman, your antics are beginning to get boring. Get a life! sad
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Notice how the foolish OP hasnt been back since. Ironic isnt it?

It doesnt even matter because Iman/4Play had already exposed their true intentions from the beginning.  wink
e mi ko ni won ton je

Hehehehe. . . .like I told someone else earlier, it is time to siddon look. Donzman the nit-wit, keeps insisting "I'm telling you naming ceremonies do not exist in Igboland, " like a comical parrot.

*edit* Meanwhile another scholar Ibewuike, Victoria Oluomachukwu of the Department of Theology, Uppsala University 2006, who wrote African women and Religious change: A study of the Western Igbo of Nigeria : with a special focus on Asaba town insists that a cultural naming ceremony exists among the Igbo, even though the actual custom may differ among different villages.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 03, 2007
na wa o. . . all these because of naming children.  grin grin
Nigerians sha, no wonder we are the happiest people on earth. We love to build a mountain out of a molehill.

On behalf of President Yar Adua, i hereby declare all forms of naming ceremonies, by parties or in secret, igu afa or isomoloruko, 8th day or 17th week BANNED! You name your child at your own risk of being charged with a federal felony.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:58pm On Jul 03, 2007
Get a summer job, Donz.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 6:02pm On Jul 03, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Get a summer job, Donz.

How can he get a summer job, when all he thrives on, is taking pot-shots at Laudate. grin

Abeg, don't spoil his fun o!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 03, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Get a summer job, Donz.

I do have one, just not working today because I need to take care of some school business!!

@Laudate

Funny enough my grandma is from Asaba and is definitely older and more experienced than that man, she tells me they do not have naming ceremonies, people name their kids when and how they wish. Between my grey-haired ma and that man, I believe her!

By the way, aren't you one of those claiming Asabas weren't Igbos, shows how hypocritical people are on Nairaland.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 03, 2007
davidylan:

na wa o. . . all these because of naming children.  grin grin
Nigerians sha, no wonder we are the happiest people on earth. We love to build a mountain out of a molehill.

On behalf of President Yar Adua, i hereby declare all forms of naming ceremonies, by parties or in secret, igu afa or isomoloruko, 8th day or 17th week BANNED! You name your child at your own risk of being charged with a federal felony.

In fact any man who attempts to block a street while doing a naming ceremony shall be hanged in alaba market naked and his remains fed to the lions at the Nekede Zoo and his wife will be made to dance to atilogwu music non stop from Ibadan to Okija.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 03, 2007
asaba's arent igbos? shocked shocked
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2007
By the way Laudate, do not think I did not visit the links you provided, obviously the writer of that article lacks credibility. He states on page 100 that naming ceremonies are seen as the most important ceremonies in a child's family in Igboland, how important is this ceremony if most Igbos on this thread have told you they haven't attended one?

Even at that, the author constantly makes it clear he's talking about Asaba people and how the method of naming varies widely across Igboland. The naming ceremony could be due to outside cultural influence on Asaba people, it does not reflect the Igbo society as a whole. Just like Onitsha, Asabas and some other communities have long running monarchs does not mean Igbo society as a whole depend on monarchy.

Asaba is not an ideal picture of Igbo cultural society!

davidylan:

asaba's arent igbos? shocked shocked

That's what Lakal and Laudate were trying to tell us in another thread!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 6:26pm On Jul 03, 2007
Donzman:

@Laudate

Funny enough my grandma is from Asaba and is definitely older and more experienced than that man, she tells me they do not have naming ceremonies, people name their kids when and how they wish. Between my grey-haired ma and that man, I believe her!

By the way, aren't you one of those claiming Asabas weren't Igbos, shows how hypocritical people are on Nairaland.

Gee. . . . . I haven't had this much fun in years!  grin Please kindly reproduce the said post where I stated in black & white, that Asaba people were not Igbo. Period. Don't come here to fling unsubstantiated allegations around, Dunce-man!! tongue
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2007
Donzman:

By the way Laudate, do not think I did not visit the links you provided, obviously the writer of that article lacks credibility. He states on page 100 that naming ceremonies are seen as the most important ceremonies in a child's family in Igboland, how important is this ceremony if most Igbos on this thread have told you they haven't attended one?

Ask the author of the article.

Donzman:

Even at that, the author constantly makes it clear he's talking about Asaba people and how the method of naming varies widely across Igboland. The naming ceremony could be due to outside cultural influence on Asaba people, it does not reflect the Igbo society as a whole. Just like Onitsha, Asabas and some other communities have long running monarchs does not mean Igbo society as a whole depend on monarchy.

That's what Lakal and Laudate were trying to tell us in another thread!

I have been spoon-feeding you for too long, Donzman. Remove the blinkers from your eyes. And for once in your pathetic little life, tell the truth as it is. Not as your warped perspective, perceives it to be. Since you claim to have visited the links, please summarise the contents of each book & article for us, on this thread. You needed someone to guide you towards the truth. Am glad to have been of service.

First you claimed that I said Asaba people were not Igbo, now you are claiming that Asaba is not an ideal picture of Igbo cultural society. Chei!! How confused can a person be? Next thing, you will probably try and tell everyone that Asaba was excised from Alaigbo centuries ago. Kai! May God help us.

You asked for info. it was supplied. Then, you turn round to claim that the naming ceremony, was due to external influence. Now, you are trying to discredit the writer. Am glad everyone can read & make up their minds on the subject. So make up your mind, too. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing," Donzman. A philosopher said that many years ago. You would do well to heed his advice. cool
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 6:55pm On Jul 03, 2007
@ThiefofHearts, Tonim & TerraCotta,

www.diva-portal.org/diva/getDocument?urn_nbn_se_uu_diva-6200-2__fulltext.pdf -

Please read this article, and pay particular attention to pages 100- 104.

Oh, here is another one as well.

www.kwenu.com/publications/maduabum/igbo_names.htm - 22k

Pay particular attention to the 2nd paragraph, and tell me what you think.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2007
You sound a wee jealous and bitter osisi. Perhaps if you werent so full of hate and contempt for the "Yoruba people", those so called Lagos road blockers would invite you to their celebration. wink

Donzman:

Lmao they might not be the "picture" of Igboland but are they not Igbo as well? Lmao. you're grasping at straws now, Donz.

All you have to do is say "I guess some parts of Igboland have such", that is all. Be mature for once.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 04, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

You sound a wee jealous and bitter osisi. Perhaps if you werent so full of hate and contempt for the "Yoruba people", those so called Lagos road blockers would invite you to their celebration. wink

Jealous and bitter are not the right words,there is absolutely nothing about a Yoruba man or woman  for a proud Igbo woman to be jealous of. wink
I may be hungry and yearning for some fried meat and ofe mmanu from time to time, that does not make me jealous and full of contempt.
Mind yourself o
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 12:43am On Jul 04, 2007
babyosisi:

Jealous and bitter are not the right words,there is absolutely nothing about a Yoruba man or woman for a proud Igbo woman to be jealous of. wink
I may be hungry and yearning for some fried meat and ofe mmanu from time to time, that does not make me jealous and full of contempt.
Mind yourself o

My sister abeg tell her grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:25am On Jul 04, 2007
Too much bitter leaf in your diet, osisi cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:31am On Jul 04, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Too much bitter leaf in your diet, osisi cheesy

chineke TOH you don leave donzie come face me e kwa
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:33am On Jul 04, 2007
you haven't eaten garri until you've taste anambra bitterleaf soup.
I tell you,you will throw away your ewedu and it's accompanying amala
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:39am On Jul 04, 2007
Not a fan of ewedu but viva amala!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:11am On Jul 04, 2007
BTW,why are you taking this naming ceremony thing personal.
Does it really matter who does naming ceremony and who doesn't ?

Davidylan happens to be a good example of a neutral person on this issue and has stated his views based on what he observed from his maternal side of the family ( Igbo).

If this argument was say about me reading a book on a universal Yoruba culture where men at age  20 are required to eat a bowl of alligator pepper  as a sign of attaining manhood (I just made this up,so let people should drink their own acid) and I have about 10 Yorubas from various states and cities in Yorubaland tell me they have never heard such a thing and that neither them, their uncles nor their dads,even those in their seventies or anyone they know did such a thing even though they've lived in Yorubaland all their lives but then I insist it happens because in my Igbo culture,that is how to know a boy who has become a man and more over there is a book by a Yorubaman to proove it.(this is just for example o,nobody should quote me o )

I would come off that argument concluding that perhaps this author wrote about a practice in an obscure part of Yorubaland and that would be the reason nobody seems to have heard it and so does not pass for Yoruba culture or at best the individual just made it up to write a book.

This would be my last contribution on this  naming ceremony topic,it became silly after the first rebuttal for me  to even continue.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:34am On Jul 04, 2007
I'm sure you're thinking,made it up,ha ha ha.
I happen to be married to a man who is into cancer research and can you believe that there's this Swedish authority in the particular area he works on that had been "forging" results for years and was being referenced all over the world,speaking in big big international conferences of his breakthrough work.

It wasn't until sometime  last year or so that his bubble was burst and he was declared a fraud and severly sanctioned.
If a cancer research scientist dealing with life and death can make things up to get publications,so can Uzochukwu.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:34am On Jul 04, 2007
Osisi, you KNOW very well the argument pretty much started cos you and a few others got on Non Igbo backs about the whole "culture" of osu/umeh in Igboland telling us that as non Igbos that we have no right to speak about it cos "we dont understand", so for you guys to come on this one and do the exact thing is sheer hypocrisy. Then the fact that we just mentioned that facial marks arent just exclusive to Yorubas anyway and you and Donz's excuse was "well it isnt as prominent as yours", how the hell does that make any difference? Why must you turn everything into a "we are better than you" competition. whether or not it's "not as prominent" doenst change the fact that it's a marking on a person's face usually without their consent so there is no "better".

Now as for the naming, what Im saying is just because some people havent heard of certain things in their culture doesnt mean they arent true. Plenty of new things I learn everyday about the Yorubas or even Nigerians in general either from my dad, my boyfriend  kiss,  reasearch books or articles. Im NOT gonna deny them cos either I or my dad has never experienced them.  Same way I wouldnt ask you to deny The bible cos you werent there when Moses or Jesus were around. It doesnt make any sense and I guess someone can make up stuff just to write a book, but when you have MORE than one source about that certain thing, then what is wrong with accepting it as is? You make it seem like only one article was written about this.
Terra, laudate and co have mentioned more than 7 sources so far osisi, I would understand your objection had it been that these were written by Yorubas or some other tribe but they werent. Take the ichie thing, it was mentioned that ichie marks were mentioned in "Things Fall Apart", would you say that Achebe was lying "just for the sake of writing", cos you supposedly havent seen someone with them?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / Meet Aare Boluwatife Akin-Olugbade: Owner Of 10 Rolls-Royces (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.