Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (63924 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 30, 2007
I did not only live in Nigeria in isolation, I made sure I immersed myself in the culture and tried to learn and observe as much as I can.

The reference to blocking traffic is just a joke, we do not have naming ceremonies, we just name our kids and relatives can suggest names too. Even Davidylan has told you so, naming ceremonies are foreign to Igbo culture, we do not throw parties to name a kid, Ok, point made!

About those ichi marks, I've taken a look the pictures, they're no different from the marks I was talking about. Native doctors give those marks to people for protection, they are not special Ichi or TRIBAL marks!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:08pm On Jun 30, 2007
since you keep claiming those marks arent ichie, then what ARE ichie marks? and why is there an excuse being made for them considering they are also on a person's face? Length or size of them don't matter whatsoever. point is it's on the person's face.

Donzman:

, we do not throw parties to name a kid, Ok, point made!

Neither do all Yoruba people you cad. Just say that it bothered you that these so called street blockers didnt invite you insterad of making false accusations then maybe i'll invite you when I have my own.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jun 30, 2007
The street blockers do not invite anyone, you can walk in and eat with them if you wish!

You do know that "Ichie" is a chieftancy title in Igboland right? Ok.  I never said I liked the Ichie marks or the marks given when people are sick but atleast they're not as conspicuous as the Yoruba tribal marks. If you like thses marks so much, go get one and report to Donzman!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by spoilt(f): 12:05am On Jul 01, 2007
i see the boxing gloves are still on. blows, name calling and all. what a thread!
[s]quietly slinks out to avoid stray bullets[/s].
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:07am On Jul 01, 2007
Donzman:

The street blockers do not invite anyone, you can walk in and eat with them if you wish!

You do know that "Ichie" is a chieftancy title in Igboland right? Ok.  I never said I liked the Ichie marks or the marks given when people are sick but atleast they're not as conspicuous as the Yoruba tribal marks. If you like thses marks so much, go get one and report to Donzman!

Yes we are very accommodating, we are not snobs with our parties  cheesy

Now Can you see that you are ridiculous? Show me where I said that I "like these marks". By ALL means, quote me where I ever said such. All this pretentious thread asked for was for the significance of these marks and we gave it to you so now all of a sudden that means we support it? Sheer idiocy.

Again like I said before typical of you and your retarded crew to turn everything into a competition. Again who gives a DAMN about how conspicuous it is? AGAIN is it NOT on the child's face? Lagos tribal marks aka "minus minus"arent "conspicuous either so what exactly is your point? Does that make it better for the kid?
All someone said is that it's not something that is exclusive to Yorubas and you and your tribalistic bandwagon came with your "but ours isnt that obvious" garbage. Like it freaking matters.

Joo, We have better things to do than to compete with you people on who has the "better facial disfigurement", continue to look for someone to compete with while we're off arranging our lavish parties.  grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 01, 2007
Minus Minus, lol, I do not know the specifics of these tribal marks, you're taking these things way too seriously, nobody is competing with you!

I never said it was exclusive to the Yorubas, I do not know what you're going on about, I know Edos with about 5 +/- 2 1/2inch strokes on each side of the face. I also know many Igbos with the little medicinal marks I've been telling you about!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 3:37am On Jul 01, 2007
I am determined to find at least one Igbo person that was named in an Igbo naming ceremony or has witnessed one in Igboland, this is almost like a research project for me now and I shall report back on this thread. cool

and if if I find at least 5,I will report so too and I may just submit my face for some tribal markings,in defeat grin
tongue
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by spoilt(f): 4:06am On Jul 01, 2007
@babyosisi

i volunteer to give you those marks. i am manually dexterous. grin
i doubt it requires much skill.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:13am On Jul 01, 2007
spoilt:

@babyosisi

i volunteer to give you those marks. i am manually dexterous. grin
i doubt it requires much skill.

I don't believe you.
You may just sneeze ahchoooo and I end up with snakes on my beautiful face grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 4:30am On Jul 01, 2007
babyosisi:

I am determined to find at least one Igbo person that has attended an Igbo naming ceremony or has witnessed one in Igboland, this is almost like a research project for me now and I shall report back on this thread. cool

and if if I find at least 5,I will report so too and I may just submit my face for some tribal markings,in defeat grin
tongue

dont waste ur time resaerching any shit. how can sum'one "else" tell u about yourself and you go research it to see if it's true? u shud know urself better. TOH has finally made sense for once when she said
This is like arguing with a special Ed class. In other words, a waste of time
. YOU and DONZMAN are more than likely arguing with a special ed student who keeps deviating from the damn point. :rolleyes:
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:38am On Jul 01, 2007
my sister.I weak o.
How can there be naming ceremony in Igboland and Igbos don't know it,worst of all,they read it on the internet from a yoruba man and woman.

They say I only know what's on my backyard yet there's no owa nbe on any of our backyards?
I guess all the Igbos who have this same views with us all lived in a cocoon,a book has revealed this,lol
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 4:49am On Jul 01, 2007
wats da one called terracotta datz now advising us to go "READ" our culture. which kinda fool has to read his own culture when you can live it? na wa for some people in nairaland. if it's written down somewhere, it must be fact.
basically what they're saying is: "hey Igbos, this is what i've read about y'all and you better accept it as fact cuz i read it with my big brain. i dont care what you think you know about your own culture; whatever it is that you do think you know was not written in the book that i read and therefore it can't be real or true."
WTF?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:56am On Jul 01, 2007
My sister I read all this wikipedia quotes here and there until the day I found out that any person can be a wikipedia writer,some are even here on nairaland.
There is no culture like the one I lived.

Is there any Yoruba man or woman that has to be taught that his people have tribal marks?
That would be ridiculous,all he has to do is look at a mirror (he may just have one himself) , summon his relatives,or stand on a street corner and observe passers by.
He will see all the designs he wants grin

Will he need a book by some author shoved down his throat to proove it?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by hollirigth(m): 10:08am On Jul 01, 2007
No tribe knows it all in naija and each have their own traditional stuff whether barbaric, insane or useless. Our forefathers designed their respective cultural practices all of which may not be perfect. C'mon guys, we should find better ways to eradicate the remnant of colonial injuries. People get tribal marks as way of identifying their folks in case they get captured by the slave traders. I think we should blame those that came and distrupt the peace of innocent people and take them away to the unknown lands.
This thread is about to cause a divorce between me and my wife as one of us is Igbo and the other is Yoruba with tribal marks for that matter, and we were just planning on given our baby tribal marks in one of his/her cheek.
Some people here are taking this issue far too personal already. Please end this before it ends my home.
Thax ya all. cry cry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:36pm On Jul 01, 2007
Typical instigator, that  short yellow bus riding ghettorat. o ma se o  sad

Lol @ "who reads about their culture",  If you werent alive during the time certain things took place, how the hell do you expect to know/learn? Is it not from those who've lived/researched it? Oponu. Gosh the ignorance in this thread is over bearing  cry

Again why do you people believe in a so called Jesus when all you have is a BOOK? Please answer that one for me.

How can people be so daft? Some Igbo people came together to write about certain things that happened in their history yet you are still telling us that these people are wrong because YOU/some random relative werent there? Were you there for Jesus cruxificion? How do you know it even took place? By a book known as The Bible or no?
First you say that , "no they wouldnt write such things", you were put to shame when examples were shown and now they are twisting their tongues in saying some other crap. Lmao Irony  cheesy

Gosh this thread is embarrassing, now I see why everyone else has jumped ship. No point in teaching me the mentally disabled, especially ones who take pride in it.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:51pm On Jul 01, 2007
[
[/quote][quote author=babyosisi link=topic=59913.msg1252896#msg1252896 date=1183262208]
Is there any Yoruba man or woman that has to be taught that his people have tribal marks?
That would be ridiculous,all he has to do is look at a mirror (he may just have one himself) , summon his relatives,or stand on a street corner and observe passers by.
He will see all the designs he wants grin
Will he need a book by some author shoved down his throat to proove it?

Lol why do you bother? 4Play has already exposed you osisi darling and your lame crew  wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 01, 2007
This naming ceremony must have been some ancient event, even my grandma has no clue what it is. To the average Igbo man, there's nothing like a naming ceremony, yesterday and today! I do not know why you take that personal but Donzman isn't here to assuage your damaged feelings, Donzman will tell the truth as it is. Keep reading books instead of trying to gain first hand experience, we'll see who will begin to suffer from myopia!

By the way, reducing your belief in Jesus Christ to just believing what is written in a book is quite lame to say the least, I believe most Christians will tell you that they've experienced Jesus within themselves which backs up what they read in the bible.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 01, 2007
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 8:19pm On Jul 01, 2007
Neither I, or anyone in my family had our faces sliced, for which I'm profoundly grateful.

[quote][/quote]

Face sliced shocked shocked that just sends chills through my spinal cord. Thank God the practice in now done away with, and those  people that subjected their poor kids to such horrendous act should be brought to justice and hanged.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Josh4ever9: 11:27pm On Jul 01, 2007
From what I've read, it's obvious that there is some bad history between the main posters on this thread, so that stops ppl from trying to understand what the other is saying,

The purposes of tribal marking has been explained time and time again, and although it's use is not really practical nowadays, like others have said it is a remnant of old cultural practices.

I dont think God gave anybody the right to judge other ppl's cultures and practices, so all those who are judging and making the yoruba culture seem negative or barbaric because of this should really stop, because it is reflecting negatively on them, I say this as somebody who is not familair with those on either side of the issue and making judgments based on what I read on this thread, it is enough to say you dont like it and that is your opinion which nobody can argue with, don't go making value judgments on the culture whether implicitly or explicitly,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what you think is ugly, somebody else might think is beautiful, so please don't call something negative just because you think it is ugly,

As for child abuse, exactly what constitutes child abuse? these marks, like circumcision cause pain at the onset that fade away, only like some ppl have pointed out, tribal marks can cause ridicule especially at school, but what doesnt? should parents that have a funny last name or name their kids names like gaylord or butts, be accused of barbarism or child abuse because their child experiences ridicule in school? Just cause a child doesnt consent to something that some ppl might not like, that doesnt mean the child was abused,
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by kellorah: 12:34am On Jul 02, 2007
Surely, it must hurt! Why put your kid through such pain, tradition or not? undecided
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 12:57am On Jul 02, 2007
if tribal marks were used for identification in the old days, and also to prevent slavery-well, slavery has been abolished, and nowadays[b] ID CARDS[/b]  or PASSPORTS are used for identification.

Anyone who insists on being an enemy of progress should be fined heavily and jailed. If jail doesnt affect them, then they should be made to pay through the nose for such ignorance. i bet even the practice of giving tribal marks itself had a beginning. there was probably a time before tribal marks in the past, until some " bright (?)" fella came up with the idea.

if una no fit change expired practice, you want make oyinbo come change ya mind for you?

what nonsense.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by kellorah: 1:00am On Jul 02, 2007
I wonder!!!

There are other ways of indentifying eachother. What's wrong with asking someone if they are yoruba, rather than having to guess by their tribal marks? I once heard it was used to drive evil spirits away from the child! COCK N BULLL STORIES!! It's 2007. Move on!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:25am On Jul 02, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

[
Lol why do you bother? 4Play has already exposed you osisi darling and your lame crew  wink

where and how was I exposed?
Was this exposition done in my absence?
I have no crew and never did.
I don't need to convince you or anyone if you insist on believing a mere booklet by some author over reality.
I guess davidylan who happens to have an Igbo mom with Igbo uncles is "my crew"
In this subject he stands as an independent witness and has spoken loud and clear but did you hear him?
You are a smart woman and ought to know that no one here has any need to hide anything.
naming ceremony is not an evil ocassion so why would anyone deny it?
I have asked you a simple question.
If Igbos did away with naming ceremony since the coming of the white man,is the white man still to come to Ijebu ode?

this question may take you a lifetime to answer,I'll be waiting? grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 02, 2007
Donzman:

This naming ceremony must have been some ancient event, even my grandma has no clue what it is. To the average Igbo man, there's nothing like a naming ceremony, yesterday and today! I do not know why you take that personal but Donzman isn't here to assuage your damaged feelings, Donzman will tell the truth as it is. Keep reading books instead of trying to gain first hand experience, we'll see who will begin to suffer from myopia!

By the way, reducing your belief in Jesus Christ to just believing what is written in a book is quite lame to say the least, I believe most Christians will tell you that they've experienced Jesus within themselves which backs up what they read in the bible.

The girl needs help. grin
I am still searching and yearning to attend this Igbo naming ceremony that has eluded me from Aba to Umuahia,Enugu,Onitsha and all the cities in between.
TOH tells me,it's just my family.
I didn't know I had a brother named donzman.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:33am On Jul 02, 2007
Donzman:

Lmao, yea sure. Those that havent "experienced" him nko and still believe merely cos of The bible, what do you say about that? Lol. Have fun with that one.  cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:38am On Jul 02, 2007
Josh4ever9:

The purposes of tribal marking has been explained time and time again, and although it's use is not really practical nowadays, like others have said it is a remnant of old cultural practices.

I don't think God gave anybody the right to judge other people's cultures and practices, so all those who are judging and making the yoruba culture seem negative or barbaric because of this should really stop, because it is reflecting negatively on them, I say this as somebody who is not familair with those on either side of the issue and making judgments based on what I read on this thread, it is enough to say you don't like it and that is your opinion which nobody can argue with, don't go making value judgments on the culture whether implicitly or explicitly,

Lol welcome to the board, let's just say such threads where people "pretend" like they are trying to learn isnt new on Nairaland, esp by the crew you see on here yaning dust.

It's quite amusing how answering the question posed in the topic automatically means that we "support such things". Imbeciles, I tell you.

and osisi, please stop acting stupid and asking me retarded questions. "where" ko, when ni. Look through the thread again and read where 4Play/Iman quoted you.

Like I said before asiri yin ti tu!  grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:40am On Jul 02, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Lol welcome to the board, let's just say such threads where people "pretend" like they are trying to learn isnt new on Nairaland, esp by the crew you see on here yaning dust.

It's quite amusing how answering the question posed in the topic automatically means that we "support such things". Imbeciles, I tell you.

[b]and osisi, please stop acting stupid and asking me retarded questions. "[/b]where" ko, when ni. Look through the thread again and read where 4Play/Iman replied you.

Like I said before asiri yin ti tu! grin

I have to ask you questions at your retarded level,maybe then you'll understand grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by spoilt(f): 2:41am On Jul 02, 2007
they are still fighting here.  grin
my hand no dey oh! im out.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:42am On Jul 02, 2007
asking "where" in a thread where the answer is so obvious shows that you are the retarded one, love

But dont worry for I have love for all, even the mentally disabled. wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:46am On Jul 02, 2007
spoilt:

they are still fighting here.  grin
my hand no dey oh! im out.

I was having fun at our lady koi koi stories well let me leave this efulefu woman alone grin
TOH enjoy yourself,babyosis got no time for you tonight,someone else may need your services,keep looking, your mates may soon come out to play. grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:50am On Jul 02, 2007
You seem to be watching the thread keenly so it seems that you do have time.

Like I said before, 4Play don expose you and your true intentions on this thread. Im just curious on why you even bother is all.

Have a good night grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) / Somali-Sudanese Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.