Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (64106 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jul 02, 2007
who dash you Igbo cousins?
in your laudatical dreams grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 7:45pm On Jul 02, 2007
babyosisi:

who dash you Igbo cousins?
in your laudatical dreams grin

Nobody dashed them to me, Madam know-it-all. The Almighty God in His infinite wisdom decided to bless me with them. Why does it upset you so much?? And why would you accuse me of lying in your previous post?? Are you alright?! angry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 02, 2007
I spent a good few minutes trying to put a finger on why this thread was so unappealing. Reading a few responses its not hard to come to the conclusion that its because of those who have chosen to take issues here so personally they would not hesitate to resort to ad hominem attacks in other to force their oppinions down the throats of others.

You're left wondering if they have tribal marks on their cheeks or if they get paid for every igbo naming ceremonyy that takes place in their dreams.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2007
davidylan:

I spent a good few minutes trying to put a finger on why this thread was so unappealing. Reading a few responses its not hard to come to the conclusion that its because of those who have chosen to take issues here so personally they would not hesitate to resort to ad hominem attacks in other to force their oppinions down the throats of others.
You're left wondering if they have tribal marks on their cheeks or if they get paid for every igbo naming ceremonyy that takes place in their dreams.

Yeah. . . .you need to address these comments to Babyosisi. Let's hope she will read it & be able to make sense of it. She seems to have a bone to pick with every body on this issue. Pity!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 02, 2007
lawdy lawdy,laudate
didn't you see who was being referred to?
and you have Igbo blood grin grin

abeg i
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 02, 2007
When I say some people have a low IQ level, Donzman is not joking. The comment I was making about the Yoruba parties in Lagos was  JOKE, the crust of the matter is that Igbos do not make an occassion for naming a kid, whether big or small.

@Babyosisi

I already explained to these first class black nosed clowns what "Igu Afa" means but they're too dumb to comprehend. Igu Afa simply means naming a kid, it does not call for an occassion or a ceremony at all, it is not the equivalent of a naming ceremony. Why do people not listen?. . .WTF is the fuss all about? We do not have naming ceremonies, why does that hurt you? Same thing Davidylan is saying, I've been saying about 10 pages back. There's no ceremony to name a kid in Igboland, you give birth, choose a name that suits you, family members from FAR and WIDE can suggest something, whatever.

My little sister got names from my parents and even my cousin that lives with us, guess the name she answers at home?. . .She answers the name my cousin gave her!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 02, 2007
As for Igbo naming ceremonies, I do believe TerraCotta has already answered the question in his posts. If it never existed, why would eminent Igbo scholars (and foreign ones too), decide to write about it?

Where exactly did anyone write about these naming ceremonies and how they take place?. . .Maybe you should describe this naming ceremony occassion for me, because I can describe an Igbo traditional marriage for you because it does take place.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 8:37pm On Jul 02, 2007
babyosisi:

lawdy lawdy,laudate
didn't you see who was being referred to?
and you have Igbo blood grin grin

abeg i

Everyone saw & heard you exchanging swear words with several other people on this thread. You seem to thrive on such things. Now you are turning round to point fingers at other people. What a pity! I will ignore the last part of your comment. There is no need to dignify your ignorance with an answer. cool
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 02, 2007
@Laudate

Maybe you should give us a brief order of events in this 'Igu Afa' ceremony since scholars from far and wide have written about it, go ahead!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 8:45pm On Jul 02, 2007
Donzman:

@Laudate

Maybe you should give us a brief order of events in this 'Igu Afa' ceremony since scholars from far and wide have written about it, go ahead!

Enough references were cited for you, on this thread. Am tired of repeating myself. Go back & read through the list. Sit down and read each article 'word for word'. And you will find the knowledge that you seek. He that seeketh, findeth.  sad

Don't be lazy. Do some hard work for once, instead of expecting to be spoon-fed with info. Good luck in your search!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 02, 2007
laudate:

Enough references were cited for you, on this thread. Am tired of repeating myself. Go back & read through the list. Sit down and read each article 'word for word'. And you will find the knowledge that you seek. He that seeketh, findeth. sad

Don't be lazy. Good luck in your search!

Where are these references that described naming ceremonies please?. . .Hypocritical pathological liar, that is what you are, nothing more, maybe something less!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2007
Donzman:

Where are these references that described naming ceremonies please?. . .Hypocritical pathological liar, that is what you are, nothing more, maybe something less!

Oh dear. . . . . here we go again!!  sad

Why is it that whenever you do not know something, or you fail to understand the issue under discussion, you resort to cheap, juvenile insults? This was the same way you hurled the word 'hypocrite' around, when you were told that anyone who speaks Yoruba quite well should be able to understand Itsekiri. Even after your error had been pointed out, you were arguing blindly. Dunce-man, look for some one else to trade words, with.

Actually the term "Hypocritical pathological liar," suits you Donzman, to a Tee. Did you take a good look at yourself in the mirror, before latching on to this word? Lemme guess, you saw the hypocrisy and the pathological lies that existed deep within your soul, so you decided to come to this thread to spread the hate??
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 02, 2007
Laudate, produce the articles where this naming ceremony was described by a scholar or accept that you're a pathological liar, quite that simple! cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 9:04pm On Jul 02, 2007
Donzman:

Laudate, produce the articles where this naming ceremony was described by a scholar or accept that you're a pathological liar, quite that simple! cheesy

Hahahaha. . . .this is beginning to get quite funny!

Donzman, you can't read, obviously. Shame! Oya, go back to all the previous pages in this thread, and look up all the references cited in my posts, as well as those cited by TerraCotta. Let us hope you will have enough energy to carry out this simple task, after you have wasted the little you have, insulting everyone, Mr. Pathological Liar.  tongue

Hmmn. . . .TerraCotta's last statement was apt.

by TerraCotta
"Those who are wilfully ignorant of their own cultures can stay that way in peace-- whatever you believe about igu afa (which, by the way, is translated as 'naming' ceremony in my copy of "Igbo-English Dictionary : A Comprehensive Dictionary of the Igbo Language" by Professor Michael Echuero" 
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 02, 2007
So that is your "many scholars have written about Igbos naming ceremonies from far and wide"? Some man writing in a dictionary that NOBODY uses mind you, is proof that Igbos have a naming ceremony. . .You're a very daft human being, I believe my grandma who had 9 kids for a pagan traditionalist husband than that man. If someone with grey hair who had 9 kids for a traditionalist pagan tells me what Igu Afa is, I do not need to consult an obsolete online dictionary, you got the point?

By the way, 1 line in an obsolete online dictionary does not make for scholarly articles from far and wide as you claim. So as it is, I'm still waiting for these scholarly articles describing naming ceremonies. grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2007
Donzman:

So that is your "many scholars have written about Igbos naming ceremonies from far and wide"? Some man writing in a dictionary that NOBODY uses mind you, is proof that Igbos have a naming ceremony. . .You're a very daft human being, I believe my grandma who had 9 kids for a pagan traditionalist husband than that man. If someone with grey hair who had 9 kids for a traditionalist pagan tells me what Igu Afa is, I do not need to consult an obsolete online dictionary, you got the point?

By the way, 1 line in an obsolete online dictionary does not make for scholarly articles from far and wide as you claim. So as it is, I'm still waiting for these scholarly articles describing naming ceremonies. grin

First, you used the words "Hypocritical pathological liar," now you are using the word "daft." Donzman, must you head for the sewer to pick up a few words, before you can get your points across? What a shame! tongue

Now you are bleating all over the place, asking for references when they were already provided, several pages back. Do us a favour. Post your SSCE results here. Let us know what you scored in Eglish language, because it is obvious you must have failed some core courses, in that subject. 

Finally, you missed the point again. The real message in that post was in TerraCotta's opening statement. The reference to the dictionary was just an adjunct. But then, it was way above your head. What else can one expect from a man who expects to be spoon-fed with references, every single step of the way?

As for the last statement about "many scholars have written about Igbos naming ceremonies from far and wide"? Why are you crediting it to me, when it was made by someone else? Don't bother to explain. We all know you are a confused human being.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 9:45pm On Jul 02, 2007
It's interesting to note that "Isomoloruko' in Yoruba also literally translates as 'naming a child', not 'ceremony', 'feast', or 'wealthy Lagosians' street party'.

Thanks to all our contributors on the naming topic. We will have to agree to disagree. This thread is probably a better place to continue talking about that issue, for those who want to: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11383.0.html

It would be great if we could stick to the topic at hand in here, which is facial marks.

Donzman--please indicate whether you're paying by paper or plastic. Thanks.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 02, 2007
imu nwa means giving birth.
so we also have imu nwa ceremony lol

ita anu means eating meat
inyu nsi means taking a number 2 as in bowel movements

so we have inyu nsi ceremony.

laudate since you claimed you have Igbo cousins,how many of their naming ceremonies have you attended?
liar liar buns on fire grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 10:02pm On Jul 02, 2007
TerraCotta:

It's interesting to note that "Isomoloruko' in Yoruba also literally translates as 'naming a child', not 'ceremony', 'feast', or 'wealthy Lagosians' street party'.

Thanks to all our contributors on the naming topic. We will have to agree to disagree. This thread is probably a better place to continue talking about that issue, for those who want to: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11383.0.html

It would be great if we could stick to the topic at hand in here, which is facial marks.

Ah, TerraCotta may you live long! Thanks for that translation of the Yoruba word for naming a child. Its' quite accurate.

As for Donzman, I guess he was sleeping when all those articles were being cited, a while back. Initially, he (along with the rest of his cartel) claimed that there was NO such thing as a ''naming" ceremony in Alaigbo. They even went as far as to say it never existed, in the past.

Later, a reference was cited and even the traditional Igbo word for 'naming' a child was given, to dispprove their claims. Now Donzman, is making a u-turn to ask for a brief order of events (Chei!) for a ceremony, which he had earlier said did not exist! This was after he claimed that "I already explained to these first class black nosed clowns what "Igu Afa" means but they're too dumb to comprehend. Igu Afa simply means naming a kid, it does not call for an occassion or a ceremony at all, it is not the equivalent of a naming ceremony." Contrast this with his previous post where he had denied vehemently, that something like Igu-afa existed, until the word 'Igu-afa' was brought to his notice. See how confused this guy is, yet he goes around calling other people all kinds of names. God dey! wink

Again, in an earlier post he had equated the Yoruba naming ceremony, to a feast or a 'road' party, until his claims were refutted. When his error was pointed out, he claimed he was merely joking. Why isn't anyone laughing?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 10:07pm On Jul 02, 2007
babyosisi:

laudate since you claimed you have Igbo cousins,how many of their naming ceremonies have you attended?
liar liar buns on fire grin

Again at the risk of repeating myself, I must ask you. . . .why does it upset you so much to know that I have Igbo cousins? This isn't the first time I have mentioned this fact on this website. Search through most of the other threads & you'll find that this issue has come up, a couple of times. And I didn't attend their 'naming' ceremonies, because they lived in Port-Harcourt, while I was resident in Lagos & their parents had a Christening ceremony for them, at which they were given English names. Go figure!

Am glad you ended your post by saying "liar liar buns on fire," because going by the many lies you have told in here, you are sure going to end up, getting burnt!  cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:12pm On Jul 02, 2007
TerraCotta:

Perhaps DonzMan will have something to say about this.

maybe him and osisi can translate "Isomoloruko" for us.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 02, 2007
Again at the risk of repeating myself, I must ask you. . . .why does it upset you so much to know that I have Igbo cousins? This isn't the first time I have mentioned this fact on this website. Search through most of the other threads & you'll find that this issue has come up, a couple of times. And I didn't attend their 'naming' ceremonies, because they lived in Port-Harcourt, while I was resident in Lagos & their parents had a Christening ceremony for them, at which they were given English names. Go figure!

Am glad you ended you post by saying "liar liar buns on fire," because going by the many lies you have told in here, you are sure going to end up, getting burnt!

any idiot knows babies are not named at christenings.
Chi chi was already named chi chi by her parents before they printed cards and invited you.
The christening is more like dedication,the name was not declared there for the first time. duhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
so Yorubas who do naming ceremonies all live in the village?
Igbo city dwellers do christening,village dwellers do naming ceremony and Yorubas do naming ceremonies in the cities and in the village shocked shocked

sounding silly by the minute,my fair lady

I am not upset,far be it from me grin
and by the way,I don't do swear words,not my style.
I may get under your skin grin
and watch you cry like an infant

see you tomorrow.
TOH ,marry donzie and let's come to donzietta's naming ceremony
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 10:34pm On Jul 02, 2007
babyosisi:

any idiot knows babies are not named at christenings.
Chi chi was already named chi chi by her parents before they printed cards and invited you.
The christening is more like dedication,the name was not declared there for the first time. duhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
so Yorubas who do naming ceremonies all live in the village?
Igbo city dwellers do christening,village dwellers do naming ceremony and Yorubas do naming ceremonies in the cities and in the village shocked shocked

sounding silly by the minute,my fair lady

I am not upset,far be it from me grin
and by the way,I don't do swear words,not my style.

Ah. . . .this is what happens when people do not actaully take time out to understand a point that is being made, before they respond to it. For crying out loud, who said that the "Yorubas who do naming ceremonies all live in the village? Or that Igbo city dwellers do christening,village dwellers do naming ceremony and Yorubas do naming ceremonies in the cities and in the village?" Oh, let me guess. . . .this is just your own mind-set, conducting a flawed interpretation of events,  Good! undecided

As for the christening, Madam, as usual you missed the point that was being made. You asked a question, and I answered it. Now you are coming back to say that 'Chi-chi' (don't know who that is!) was already named by her parents, before I was invited. Alright o! Since you know my cousins' family, more than I do, carry on with your analysis.  wink I thought you said they do not do naming ceremony, so how did the parents name their kid, then? tongue
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:19pm On Jul 02, 2007
Not into guys with IQs less than room temperature, osisi. Im just gonna have to pass

again, instead of avoiding the question, you can tell us what "isomoloruko" means
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 03, 2007
laudate:

I thought you said they do not do naming ceremony, so how did the parents name their kid, then? tongue

Do parents need to call a party to name their kid?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 03, 2007
@Laudate

I was calling you a pathological liar for fun but now you're one INDEED. Nobody on these threads ever denied that "naming" didn't exist in Igboland, we said there were no naming CEREMONIES. Geez, if we didn't name our kids, I suppose they came out of the womb with custom made name tags from God, you people are comical!

@TerraCotta

I'm not telling you what Igu Afa translates to, I'm telling you what Igu Afa IS. Igu Afa is simply naming a child, it is not a ceremony. When you give birth to a child, "iguo ya afa" i.e. you name the child, no need to call for a ceremony or block traffic!!

davidylan:

Do parents need to call a party to name their kid?

These people just do not understand that people are DIFFERENT, it's a pity!

@Babyosisi

These people are clowns, I think I'll stop responding to this naming ceremony BULLSHIT until one of these people that are telling us it exists gives us an order of events or how this CEREMONY actually proceeds.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 12:11am On Jul 03, 2007
@Loudmouthed Laudate

It shows how little you know your cousins to think they were only named on their christening day. I was christended and so did other 30+ kids in my family that I know of (Thank God), we had names before the christening day!

PLEASE IF YOU KNOW THIS NAMING CEREMONY EXISTS, PLEASE DO TELL US HOW IT TAKES PLACE! I do not think this is very hard for an event that exists, traditional marriages, new yam festivals, I can easily tell you what it involves.

TerraCotta,Laudate, Thiefofhearts, you all know of this Igbo naming ceremony, please tell us how it unfolds and the key players involved.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:13am On Jul 03, 2007
Hey idiot, did you read the part that Yorubas call it "isomoloruko" which means NAMING of the CHILD.

Isnt that the same thing you said about Igu Afa?

So Im waiting for you to tell me what is the difference
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 12:14am On Jul 03, 2007
Guy seriously I don't see why this naming ceremony thing should even be a topic of discussion, even if Igbos have a naming ceremony so what. When My kid sister was born, a few of my parents friends came over drank beer and eat food and that was it. My kid sister was named after our big mama because every body said she looked like her.

Please back to tribal marks.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 12:19am On Jul 03, 2007
Freewilly:

Guy seriously I don't see why this naming ceremony thing should even be a topic of discussion, even if Igbos have a naming ceremony so what. When My kid sister was born, a few of my parents friends came over drank beer and eat food and that was it. My kid sister was named after our big mama because every body said she looked like her.

Please back to tribal marks.
thank you!! naming ceremony or none, (which there isn't) SO WHAT?! it doesn't involve tribal marks. that's not even the topic. anyways, ndi igbo m were sense, it's really time to get up outta here, it's starting to sound like a whole lot of baby talk and attention seekers. it's real sad when one finds it necessary to seek attention online.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 03, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Hey idiot, did you read the part that Yorubas call it "isomoloruko" which means NAMING of the CHILD.

So I'm waiting for you to tell me what is the difference

Idiot, the difference is that you have a ceremony and we do not, the difference is what I've been trying to pan into your thick skull for DAYS. The difference is that you do not need a ceremony/gathering to name a kid.

Please tell me how this Igbo naming ceremony is done or just shut up, thanks for playing!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 1:09am On Jul 03, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

So I'm waiting for you to tell me what is the difference
it seems she should reserve that name for herself. "isomoloruko" and "igu afa" may have the same meaning in literal form, that doesn't mean how it's done is the same. i can "igu afa" for a new business i open, that don't mean i had a ceremony to do so. "igu afa" simply means naming something. just because we have the same ingredients does not mean we're gonna cook the same food. donzman, leave her, if she didn't get it 10 posts ago, she's a goner. i doubt she's gonna get it now. save your breath. wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Meet Aare Boluwatife Akin-Olugbade: Owner Of 10 Rolls-Royces (PHOTOS) / Olori Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Youngest Wife, Slays In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.