Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Pregnancy And Agression - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pregnancy And Agression (7515 Views)

I Need Som1 In Abuja Who Can Take Care Of My Pregnancy And Adopt The Baby / Wife Loses Pregnancy Of Two Months After Rape By Pastor-husband / Pregnancy And Labour Pains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 12:29pm On Feb 06, 2011
tpiah!:

thank you wink

Nice place to start, if you can understand what is going on

http://mammary.nih.gov/reviews/lactation/McCarthy001/index.html
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 12:34pm On Feb 06, 2011
astranger:

tpiah!:

thank you wink

That is a peer review article Tpiah, not some mamput talk. Even that I will not necessarily reference it.

Since there was a great deal of enthusiasm for the importance of oxytocin in regulation of behavior, an obvious next step seemed to be to knock it out. Two different groups developed oxytocin knock out mice and there was great consternation when it was reported, as seen here, that oxytocin was not required for maternal behavior in mice
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 06, 2011
astranger:

the article doesnt contradict anything i said.

Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 06, 2011
astranger:

Since there was a great deal of enthusiasm for the importance of oxytocin in regulation of behavior, an obvious next step seemed to be to knock it out. Two different groups developed oxytocin knock out mice and there was great consternation when it was reported, as seen here, that oxytocin was not required for maternal behavior in mice

However, the initial reports of oxytocin inducing maternal behavior in the rat were not without some controversy. Different labs were having difficulty replicating the findings and issues such as the purity of the oxytocin, the strain of rat used and the testing paradigm were all considered. Susan Fahrbach again made a major contribution to the field when she noted that some investigators tested their subjects in their home cage whereas others moved the subject to a testing arena some time before the beginning of the behavioral test. Rats are adverse to novel environments and the movement to a testing arena would be predicted to induce a stress response. Susan directly tested the influence of the testing conditions by treating females with oxytocin and testing in their home cage or a novel environment. As you can see here, the oxytocin was only effective when the animals were tested in a novel environment, suggesting there was an interaction between the stress response and the action of oxytocin on maternal behavior.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 12:38pm On Feb 06, 2011
This is the conclusion by the researchers, and mind you Tpiah, it is an NIH sponsored research, not some beer parlour talk like your "yahoo ask" and the other link you posted, what is it again?

Finally, as I have tried to demonstrate, generalizing even from rats to mice is fraught with difficulties. Trying to further draw conclusions regarding the hormonal basis of maternal behavior in humans may seem completely out of reach. However, given the frequent news reports of women failing to care for their newborn infants, i.e. a lack of the onset of maternal behavior, this is not a health problem of trivial significance. Certainly there are cultural and social influences involved in these tragic instances of infanticide, but there are also likely to be biological ones as well
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 06, 2011
chaircover:

Let me come in here by saying that I know of at least one hormone that is produced in pregnancy that can cause bad moods in pregnant women.

HCG is produced in pregnancy and for the few unfortunate ones like me who have very high levels secreted during pregancy, it can cause hyperemesis gravidarum, which results in several hospital admissions during the pregnancy due to dehydration.

You cannot be throwing up 7 times a day and cannot even smell common smells like coffee or deodorant spray with out throwing up and expect to be happy go lucky.

the spitting nko? [for those who have it].

not calming or happiness-inducing in any way.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 12:39pm On Feb 06, 2011
astranger:

This is the conclusion by the researchers, and mind you Tpiah, it is an NIH sponsored research, not some beer parlour talk like your "yahoo ask" and the other link you posted, what is it again?

i don hear.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 12:41pm On Feb 06, 2011
tpiah!:

the spitting nko? [for those who have it].

not calming or happiness-inducing in any way.

She already mentioned hyper - emesis gravidarum professor!
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 12:42pm On Feb 06, 2011
^^gotcha.

the spitting is different.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 12:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
tpiah!:

the article doesnt contradict anything i said.

Since there was a great deal of enthusiasm for the importance of oxytocin in regulation of behavior, an obvious next step seemed to be to knock it out. Two different groups developed oxytocin knock out mice and there was great consternation when it was reported, as seen here, that oxytocin was not required for maternal behavior in mice.

And so the highlighted did not contradict what you said earlier?

tpiah!:

pregnancy hormones.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 06, 2011
^^look, you cant beat me at this game.

i said hormone[b]s[/b]; you only referenced oxytocin.

besides, check post #35.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 12:54pm On Feb 06, 2011
tpiah!:

^^look, you cant beat me at this game.
i said hormone[b]s[/b]; you only referenced oxytocin.
besides, check post #35.
OK.
I am not playing games with you
You simply dont know how hormones work and needless to say, you have never performed a single lab expereiment and have never studied hormones and just have no idea what you are talking about.
Whether you like it or not I know more than you and I have delivered babies, argued with authorities and studied it indepth. You rely on the fact that you are a woman and hearsays

Hormones don’t CAUSE external behavior, they alter the activity in various brain areas to change the way the brain responds to various stimuli, they also change sensitivity in the genital areas.
http://www.theglaringfacts.com/sex-and-hormones/

Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 12:56pm On Feb 06, 2011
^^are you really in the medical field?

i actually didnt believe you were.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2011
tpiah!:

^^are you really in the medical field?

i actually didnt believe you were.

What do you mean?
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 06, 2011
are you in the health/medical field, yes or no.

i've been seeing some references to that, here and there on nl, but i thought any such assumption was tongue in cheek. In short, i didnt believe you were.

if you're a trained professional, thats all you had to say to begin with, so people can know where you're coming from and not argue unnecessarily.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 06, 2011
by medical i mean health field and related professions.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by astranger: 1:11pm On Feb 06, 2011
tpiah!:

by medical i mean health field and related professions.

NAh

Top Dog baby!
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 06, 2011
meaning?
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 06, 2011
chaircover:

Let me come in here by saying that I know of at least one hormone that is produced in pregnancy that can cause bad moods in pregnant women.

HCG is produced in pregnancy and for the few unfortunate ones like me who have very high levels secreted during pregancy, it can cause hyperemesis gravidarum, which results in several hospital admissions during the pregnancy due to dehydration.

You cannot be throwing up 7 times a day and cannot even smell common smells like coffee or deodorant spray with out throwing up and expect to be happy go lucky.

The first trimester(About 8-12 weeks) is usually the worst time and thats when it comes on you real hard
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 07, 2011
//
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 07, 2011
they said pregnancy related sickness is worse with girls than boys, though i'm not sure how true this is.

ie when the baby is a girl.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by fstranger6: 7:31am On Feb 07, 2011
chaircover:

@Jenny LOL How I wish it was like that. For me it was from the 6th week to when I went into labour. With my daughter I was even throwing up a day after I had her & was fighting the doctors for not giving me something to stop the sickness.
During the pregnancy, I used to look at the calendar and think to my self will I ever reach these 40 weeks? I had permanent sore throat and pain in my chest from throwing up all the time.
[b]My only consolation then was that I read somewhere that women with high levels of HCG had a very low incidence of miscarriage.[/b]People that dont want Mr CC's trouble have learnt not to ask him about us having another baby, cos bless him, he suffered nearly as much as I did grin

HCG level is a good indication for how well your placenta is doing. A good placenta is always a good thingy, init?
The level peaks around the 8th/10th week

on the day, were you throwing up before or after the epidural?
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by fstranger6: 7:35am On Feb 07, 2011
tpiah!:

they said pregnancy related sickness is worse with girls than boys, though i'm not sure how true this is.

ie when the baby is a girl.

Without coming off as a pest. do you mind providing eveidence?

All these things are unscientific and it pains me when people try to pass mamput talk for sound medical knowledge

If I may ask you, when is the earliest you think the sex of a child could be determined? And also, do you know that we all started off as females? and this morning sickness only happen at certain points and not throughout preganancy for most women?
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:38am On Feb 07, 2011
^^can you stop killing the mood here and let us swap stories, hearsay, whatever in peace.

haba, person no fit groan under heavy belle again?

what other coping mechanism are you aware of?
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 07, 2011
//
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by fstranger6: 7:42am On Feb 07, 2011
chaircover:

@DR fstranger LOL

I didn't have an epidural for my daughter. I didn't get to the hospital in time for all that. All I had was gas and air in the ambulance. That nasty metallic taste in my mouth didn't depart until the 2nd day after delivery.

I see
Makes you wanna crunch on ice?
Those days when I used to run to get preggos ice? Thank God!

@Tpiah, I dont get you?
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:46am On Feb 07, 2011
//
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:49am On Feb 07, 2011
@Tpiah I dont think its any different

oh, alright.

that's what i heard, but people say all kinds of things anyway.
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by fstranger6: 7:52am On Feb 07, 2011
tpiah!:

oh, alright.

that's what i heard, but people say all kinds of things anyway.

Nuff said!

Ignorance is not bliss at all grin

Sup Tpiah?
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 07, 2011
//
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 07, 2011
some of those old wives tales are very interesting.

especially the african ones.

some make me wonder if they're based on fact.

eg the size of the womb determines the size of the baby.

[fstranger stay away with peer review talk].
Re: Pregnancy And Agression by oln: 8:46am On Feb 07, 2011
@chaircover's'Munching on carrots like a rabbit'Lol.Oh yes,I detest that mettalic taste.I always looked forward to it vanishing.& everymorning the first thing I did was to swallow saliva to find out if it had seized.wonder why some have it while others don't.I guess dat was one of the things I dread in pregnancy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Inexperienced Newly Married Man Needs Your Advice / I'm Finally Letting Go! / Weird, Funny Facts About Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.