Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,611 members, 7,816,512 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Why Tithes Are Important - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Tithes Are Important (5285 Views)

People Who Pay Tithes Are Continually Been Scamed. / Pastors Collecting Tithes Are Robbers And David Did Not Kill Goliath - Aribisala / Tithes - Are Pastors Frightened That If Christians Don't Fear They Will Not Pay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 9:36pm On Feb 05, 2011
Nehemiah 12:44
On that day men were appointed to be in charge of the storerooms for the offerings, the first part of the harvest, and the tithes. They were responsible to collect from the fields outside the towns the portions required by the Law for the priest and Levites. For all the people of Judah took joy in the priest and Levites and their work.

The tithes and gifts given were for the physical needs of the priest and Levites. Even people were appointed to collect these offerings on their behalf. This is a followup on the command we can find in Exodus 30:11-14 (Then the Lord said to Moses, Whenever you take a census of the people of Israel, each man who is counted MUST pay a ransom for himself to the Lord. Then no plague will strike the people as you count them"wink

Nehemiah 13:10
I also discovered that the Levites had not been given their prescribed portions of food, So they and the singers who were to conduct the worship services had all returned to work their fields.

The tithes and gifts that the Levites and Singers needed to sustain themselves was not forthcoming. Instead in Nehemiah 13:4-7  tells us that the storerooms which had been previously used for storing grain offering, tithes of various kinds as prescribed for the Levites, singers and gatekeepers as well as the offering for the priest was now used by Tobiah, an enemy of the Jewish community (Neh 2:10,19). This situation lead the workers in the temple to farm outside Jerusalem in order to support themselves. Why? With no offering comming thru into the temple, they could not serve in the temple because basically their needs were not being met.

The same can be said of some church in this our age especailly in the Western world. When people refuse to pay tithes and gift the church with offerings, the result will be part-time pastors and less dedicated pastor who will have to find other means to sustain themselves. Some go the extra mile by doing those things that are contrary to the WORD of God.

The lack of giving to the body of Christ is neglecting the temple of God, hence disallowing the Levites to render their proper duties as required.

CONCLUSION

Do not get upset when you see a fake pastor show up somewhere soliciting the body of christ for funds. If we do our bit in any place of worship that we find ourselves, such fake pastors will find less grounds to sow their lies.

However I agree that such pastors and churches must have a good reputation.

God bless.  wink
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:54pm On Feb 05, 2011
I thought this issue was trashed outright and the Pastors lost tongue

Tithing is part of the OT Law and has Scriptural basis from Leviticus 27:30[b] "'A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD."[/b] and Malachi 3:9 says, "You are under a curse; the whole nation of you, because you are robbing me." such were the tensed-up days of Scriptural REPO Men grin

However Tithers!! Jesus Christ did not go crawl up Shiit creek and die for you just so you will still be bound by LAW for Galatians 3:13 says "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

OT Law covered aspects of the Jews life, their personal and national relationship with God as well as their relationship as an individual to civil authority. The civil law is still in affect today. But the law concerning a True Christian's relationship with God underwent a change in Hebrew 7:12 which says "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law." If you take a look at civil laws today, you can clearly see that they have their roots in the OT Law.

The Law of Jesus Christ (Galatians 6:2 which says Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ) has all the components of the moral law of the Old Testament but none of the[b] ceremonial law[/b] (Tithing, circumcision, ceremonial washing, Saturday worship, etc.). I am not discounting other ceremonial practices such as communion, water baptism but these are not requirements to maintain a proper relationship. These are requirements to maintain a proper perspective of what Christ has done. While in the old law circumcision or tithing were mandatory or else , (you know the stories) by trying to or actually fulfilling OT law today, you have put your salvation in jeopardy. as it clearly states in Galatians 5:1-4
1: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
2: Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all.
3: Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.
4: You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

I am no theologian or priest or pastor, just a voracious consumer of knowledge seeking Wisdom and Understanding. It is simple enough to understand that Tithing is just for show if you wish to be old fashioned and follow OT Law by doing so you have basically insulted the Death and Resurrection of Christ submitting yourself to LAW and damning yourself from God's Grace. I pray your pastor never leads you to damnation in Jesus Name. AMEN
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 2:14am On Feb 06, 2011
I thought this issue was trashed outright and the Pastors lost 

Has it? In your dreams. Sorry to bring it back. The truth must be told.

Ok, let me educate you on the true meaning of tithing.

The ancient pratice of giving tithes(10%) preceded the law of Moses and existed in other ancient cultures.

Genesis 14:20 "Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the goods he had recovered.
Genesis 28:22  " And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of EVERYTHING he gives me"

Paying of tithes is not about the law of Moses but is an act of worship. It is when a person acknowledges that everything is a gift from God and belongs to God.

Numbers 18:21
As for the tribe of levi, your relatives, I will compensate them for their services (PAY THEM THEIR ENTITLEMENT) in the Tabernacle (Place of worship, temple or Church). Instead of an allotment of land, I will give them the tithes from the entire land of Israel (everything that the land yeilds)

The priest and Levites did not have a tribal homeland but were scattered among Israel's other tribes. Instead of their own territory, Israel's priest recieved the assurance that God himself would be their homeland. while the tribe of Levi received tithes in compensation for their sacred services.

Most so called men of God today are supposed to be catered for by the church. They should live in either the church premises called a rectory or a home allocated to the priest by the Church. The Catholics and Anglican abide by this, example is the Vatican city. All these pastors building personal homes are part timers in my opinion.

Let's go deeper cool

Numbers 18:24-32
[b]25 The LORD said to Moses, 26 “Speak to the Levites and say to them: ‘When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the LORD’s offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned to you as grain from the threshing floor or juice from the winepress. 28 In this way you also will present an offering to the LORD from all the tithes you receive from the Israelites. From these tithes you must give the LORD’s portion to Aaron the priest. 29 You must present as the LORD’s portion the best and holiest part of everything given to you.’
30 “Say to the Levites: ‘When you present the best part, it will be reckoned to you as the product of the threshing floor or the winepress. 31 You and your households may eat the rest of it anywhere, for it is your wages for your work at the tent of meeting. 32 By presenting the best part of it you will not be guilty in this matter; then you will not defile the holy offerings of the Israelites, and you will not die.’”[/b]

However the tithes that the priest, pastors, MOGs, Overseers, Senior Pastors recieve on behalf of God has a clause attatched to it. The Tithes have a sacred origin as holy gifts of the people who offer them. The so called recievers of these gifts are not to turn this offerings into personal gift. Doing so will result in spiritual death. NO DOUBT.

However Tithers!! Jesus Christ did not go crawl up Shiit creek and die for you just so you will still be bound by LAW for Galatians 3:13 says "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

U are wrong. The scripture quoted has been taken out of context. Galatians 3:13 has it's origin in Deut 21:22 whereby people who had committed crime worthy of death and were executed and hung on a tree should not be left there overnight in order not to defile the land. Such crimes were capital offences in which paying tithes is not one of them.  TRY HARDER BRO. cool

Christ himself claimed to come to fulfill the Law and not to abolish it.

OT Law covered aspects of the Jews life, their personal and national relationship with God as well as their relationship as an individual to civil authority. The civil law is still in affect today. But the law concerning a True Christian's relationship with God underwent a change in Hebrew 7:12 which says "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law."  If you take a look at civil laws today, you can clearly see that they have their roots in the OT Law.

U are wrong again?

How can u say the true christian relationship with God underwent a change? In Hebrew 7:12, Yes there was a change of the priesthood, but the change in the Law was not about tithing but about the Law that governed the appointment of the High Priest. The former priest were from the tribe of levi, the desendants of Aaron, who had to content with the sins of the people and theirs as well, but CHRIST in the natural was from the tribe of Judah and in the spiritual totally sinless. The former priests lineage had to die but Christ priesthood was eternal. That was the change that took place.

Hebrew 7:28
The law appointed high priests who were limited by human weakness. But after the Law was given, God appointed his Son with an oath, and his Son has been made the perfect High Priest forever."

Try harder bro cool

Heaven and earth will pass away, but God Word will not go unfulfilled. The Law still remains the same. Nothing has changed.

God is a covenant making God. He forms agreements and relationship with people (Jews and Gentiles). God made a covenant with Noah and his family in Genesis 6:18 and fulfilled it. He also made a covenant with Abraham to give him and his descendants the land of Canaan and multiply those descendants great in Genesis 5:18, 17:2-21 and he fulfilled it. God reiterated and expanded this covenant at Mount Sinai with the whole nation of Israel in Exodus 19 and 20 promising to be their God and challenging them to be obedient to him. This covenant was often broken, with people failing to live up to their obligation and the consequences of their disobediences befalls them.

The Law of Jesus Christ (Galatians 6:2 which says Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ) has all the components of the moral law of the Old Testament but none of the ceremonial law (Tithing, circumcision, ceremonial washing, Saturday worship, etc.). I am not discounting other ceremonial practices such as communion, water baptism but these are not requirements to maintain a proper relationship. These are requirements to maintain a proper perspective of what Christ has done. While in the old law circumcision or tithing were mandatory or else ,

Tithing is not a ceremonial law. It is an act of worship to the Lord. It is acknowledging him for everything he has done. Is it mandatory? Yes if you are a Christian who attends church. Some may say No to church. Fair play! But we must not forget that the Church of Christ was established for a reason and is not in vain.

Galatians 6:2 that you referred to is right. we must carry each other's burdens. This principle can also be applied to helping the men of God in proclaiming the Gospel or carrying their burdens.

1: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery,
Oh yeah I will stand firm in that that I know to be true. I am just following the principle that my Lord Jesus Christ advocated in Acts 20, verse thirty five "And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus;'It is more blessed to give than to receive" This saying I try to follow with all my heart.

am no theologian or priest or pastor, just a voracious consumer of knowledge seeking Wisdom and Understanding. It is simple enough to understand that Tithing is just for show if you wish to be old fashioned and follow OT Law by doing so you have basically insulted the Death and Resurrection of Christ submitting yourself to LAW and damning yourself from God's Grace. I pray your pastor never leads you to damnation in Jesus Name. AMEN

So what are you? Are u a Christian?

Tithing is no OT Law. Pls don't be fooled by the devil. A lot of Christians disregard the OT as either old fashioned or irrelevant. What a unwise food of thought. PLS don't subscribe to such school.

How can you say I have basically insulted the Death and Resurrection of Christ when all I am doing is trying to meet a need in the best way possible. If I win the Lottery today, or become a millionaire, the first need I will meet will be that of the gospel. That is showing love to those who are in need. That is where my heart is, that is where my treasure is where no evil can conquer.

And lastly, I Listen to pastors and Men of God, but it is only CHRIST who died for me on the cross that I will follow.

God bless. cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 6:25am On Feb 06, 2011
yommyuk:

Is it mandatory? Yes if you are a Christian who attends church.

Would be nice to know why you believe it is mandatory smiley What is your definition of 'church' here?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 7:43am On Feb 06, 2011
Would be nice to know why you believe it is mandatory What is your definition of 'church' here?

Without tithes the levites and Gospel can be hindered? my question for you is that how can you as a Xtain contribute your own bit? If you are working and you earn "Money", Contribute part of that money to God via those he has authorise to collect it (Num 18:21)

Church is a place of worship where the name of God is Honored. It is also a special place where God chose to reside. It is a place where fellow christians meet. It is where the altar of God resides.

Do you go to Church? If not pls do wink
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Ymodulus: 8:44am On Feb 06, 2011
i have said this and i will continue saying this that my problem with nigerian authorities is that they allow ruminants flunt the net. will you please save us some bandwidths and stop your rubbish post
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 8:11pm On Feb 06, 2011
@Ymodulus

Hmmm, an athetist roaming on my thread.

I beg give me a break and go plant ur ranting elsewhere angry
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 07, 2011
However the tithes that the priest, pastors, MOGs, Overseers, Senior Pastors recieve on behalf of God has a clause attatched to it.

Do you mind telling me where in the bible it was written we should give tithes to pastors
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 9:16pm On Feb 07, 2011
Do you mind telling me where in the bible it was written we should give tithes to pastors

"As the Lord said to Aaron, "You priests(Pastors) will receive no allotment of Land or share of property among the people of Israel. I am your share and your allotment. As for the tribe of Levi ( priestly Class in hebrew called kohanim), your relatives, I(GOD) will compensate them for their service (Sacred/ Pastoral duties)  in the Tabernacle (Temple/ Church). Instead of an allotment of land, I will give them the "TITHES" from the entire land of Israel (Church offerings made by the congregation)

Deut 12:4-7

Do not worship the Lord your God in the way these pagan peoples worship their gods. Rather you must seek the Lord your God at the place of worship (CHURCH) he himself  will choose from among all the tribes, the place where his name will be honored (ALTAR). There you will bring your burnt offerings, your sacrifices, your TITHES, your sacred offerings, your offerings to fulfill a vow, your voluntary offerings and your offerings of the firstborn animals of your herds and flocks. cheesy

2 CHRON 31 tells us about how King Hezekiah implemented and enforced religious reforms in the temple.

2  CHRON 31:4-6
He ordered the people living in Jerusalem to give the portion due the priests and Levites so they could devote themselves to the Law of the LORD. 5 As soon as the order went out, the Israelites generously gave the firstfruits of their grain, new wine, olive oil and honey and all that the fields produced. They brought a great amount, a tithe of everything. 6 The people of Israel and Judah who lived in the towns of Judah also brought a tithe of their herds and flocks and a tithe of the holy things dedicated to the LORD their God, and they piled them in heaps.

And what was the result for their obedience?

2 CHRON 31:9-10

9 Hezekiah asked the priests and Levites about the heaps; 10 and Azariah the chief priest, from the family of Zadok, answered, “Since the people began to bring their contributions to the temple of the LORD, we have had enough to eat and plenty to spare, because the LORD has blessed his people, and this great amount is left over.”

why did this happen?

Malachi 3;10-12

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the LORD Almighty. 12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty.

We serve a faithful God who promises and always fulfills cool

Jesus said in Matthew 23;23
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former

Jesus did not deny the validity of the law, what he did was to reveal how they had utterly failed to attend to the more important aspects of the law. I repeat "Tithing" is mandatory but others aspects love, righteousness,  mercy, godiness should not be neglected or can I say more important. May be the Pastors and MOGs should lay more emphasis on the other aspects of the Law which does not seem to happen.

However for the pastors, MOGs and priest who collect the tithes, a warning for THEM ALL

Numbers 18:30-32
30 “Say to the Levites: ‘When you present the best part, it will be reckoned to you as the product of the threshing floor or the winepress. 31 You and your households may eat the rest of it anywhere, for it is your wages for your work at the tent of meeting. 32 By presenting the best part of it you will not be guilty in this matter; then you will not defile the holy offerings of the Israelites, and you will not die.’”

It also mandatory for them to pay tithes from what they also recieves as wages. Non compliance will lead to spiritual death. Back in the old days, it was both PHYSICAL AND SPIRITUAL DEATH. cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Enigma(m): 9:29pm On Feb 07, 2011
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices . . ."

The above is exactly what tithe preachers do to
You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 9:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
@enigma

r u implying that "Tithes are not required"? or should be "abolished." cool

pls shed more light on your veiws.

cheers wink
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Enigma(m): 10:07pm On Feb 07, 2011
Dear yommy

I'm afraid that tithing has indeed been abolished and is not mandatory/obligatory for a Christian. However, it is perfectly fine if an individual chooses to "tithe" ---- particularly if s/he knows it is not compulsory.

NB There are people who teach/preach "tithing" in honest error usually simply preaching it as obligation --- but not as a necessary guarantee of prosperity. This is true of some older type/traditional churches in Nigeria (I was in one such yesterday).

There are frauds who know that tithing is not a Christian obligation or who don't even care but simply use the preaching of "tithing" as a means of fleecing the flock so as for themselves to get rich. Such people are beneath contempt.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 11:18pm On Feb 07, 2011
Tithing  abolishED cheesy? I disagree! Tithing is part of our worship.

However I agree
There are frauds who know that tithing is not a Christian obligation or who don't even care but simply use the preaching of "tithing" as a means of fleecing the flock so as for themselves to get rich. Such people are beneath contempt.

But the actions of these frauds still does not validate one not to tithe. In my opinion, as christians we should be careful and observe where we sow our tithes by making sure that we do not sow our seeds on an unfertile ground.

The NLT bible sheds a clearer light to Mathew 23:23 on tithing

"What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you pharisees. Hypocrites! for you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herbs garden, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law - justice, mercy, and faith. ----- YOU SHOULD(Have to, must,  ought) TITHE, YES, but do not neglect the more important things."
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 8:58am On Feb 08, 2011
yommyuk:

Without tithes the levites and Gospel can be hindered?

This is not true. Apostle Paul did more work than any pastor today, without tithe  smiley BTW, there are no Levites in my neighborhood, I’ve never seen one  sad

yommyuk:

my question for you is that how can you as a Xtain contribute your own bit?

I dey contribute na  cheesy but not in tithes.

yommyuk:

If you are working and you earn "Money", Contribute part of that money to God via those he has authorise to collect it

Who are those people authorized to collect a portion of my salary angry Who authorized them Kindly provide a sample letter of authority angry

yommyuk:

". . . . . As for the tribe of Levi ( priestly Class in hebrew called kohanim), your relatives, I(GOD) will compensate them for their service (Sacred/ Pastoral duties)  in the Tabernacle (Temple/ Church). Instead of an allotment of land, I will give them the "TITHES" from the entire land of Israel ([s]Church offerings made by the congregation[/s])

As for the tribe of Levi . . . . .  hhmm, I don’t know of any pastor from the tribe of Levi  smiley

yommyuk:

Do not worship the Lord your God in the way these pagan peoples worship their gods. Rather you must seek the Lord your God at the place of worship (CHURCH) he himself  will choose from among all the tribes, the place where his name will be honored (ALTAR). . . . . . .

Did you read part? That God will choose from among the tribes, the place of worship  grin

yommyuk:

There you will bring your burnt offerings, your sacrifices, your TITHES, your sacred offerings, your offerings to fulfill a vow, your voluntary offerings and your offerings of the firstborn animals of your herds and flocks.

I no get burnt offering na, how I go do  sad

yommyuk:

I repeat "Tithing" is mandatory

Mandatory for the Jews you mean. Their brother (Levi) never got to share from the Promised Land, so they had to take care of them.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Tonyet1(m): 9:49am On Feb 08, 2011
[center]"we dont die, we multiply"[/center]
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 9:59am On Feb 08, 2011
Tonye-t:

[center]"we dont die, we multiply"[/center]

You mean there are numerous versions of Tonye-t grin
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Tonyet1(m): 10:05am On Feb 08, 2011
wink
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by nuella2(f): 12:19pm On Feb 08, 2011
@yommyuk

Great thread. Welldone!
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Demainman1: 12:52pm On Feb 08, 2011
Who tell you say tithe dey important? You guy man pastor? They deceive yourself there if you think you can bribe God almighty.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2011
Demain_man:

Who tell you say tithe dey important? You guy man pastor? They deceive yourself there if you think you can bribe God almighty.

Tithing has nothing to do with what you feel like giving to god
It is a compulsion for every Christian and is mandatory
Anyone who does not tithe is a ROBBER

Malachi 3:8
Will a man rob god,yet ye have robbed me.
But ye say wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 08, 2011
Insert Quote

"As the Lord said to Aaron, "You priests(Pastors) will receive no allotment of Land or share of property among the people of Israel. I am your share and your allotment. As for the tribe of Levi ( priestly Class in hebrew called kohanim), your relatives, I(GOD) will compensate them for their service (Sacred/ Pastoral duties) in the Tabernacle (Temple/ Church). Instead of an allotment of land, I will give them the "TITHES" from the entire land of Israel (Church offerings made by the congregation)

Do not worship the Lord your God in the way these pagan peoples worship their gods. Rather you must seek the Lord your God at the place of worship (CHURCH) he himself will choose from among all the tribes, the place where his name will be honored (ALTAR). There you will bring your burnt offerings, your sacrifices, your TITHES, your sacred offerings, your offerings to fulfill a vow, your voluntary offerings and your offerings of the firstborn animals of your herds and flocks.

2 CHRON 31 tells us about how King Hezekiah implemented and enforced religious reforms in the temple.

2 CHRON 31:4-6
He ordered the people living in Jerusalem to give the portion due the priests and Levites so they could devote themselves to the Law of the LORD. 5 As soon as the order went out, the Israelites generously gave the firstfruits of their grain, new wine, olive oil and honey and all that the fields produced. They brought a great amount, a tithe of everything. 6 The people of Israel and Judah who lived in the towns of Judah also brought a tithe of their herds and flocks and a tithe of the holy things dedicated to the LORD their God, and they piled them in heaps.

And what was the result for their obedience?

2 CHRON 31:9-10

9 Hezekiah asked the priests and Levites about the heaps; 10 and Azariah the chief priest, from the family of Zadok, answered, “Since the people began to bring their contributions to the temple of the LORD, we have had enough to eat and plenty to spare, because the LORD has blessed his people, and this great amount is left over.”

why did this happen?

Malachi 3;10-12

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the LORD Almighty. 12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty.

We serve a faithful God who promises and always fulfills

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former

Jesus did not deny the validity of the law, what he did was to reveal how they had utterly failed to attend to the more important aspects of the law. I repeat "Tithing" is mandatory but others aspects love, righteousness, mercy, godiness should not be neglected

All these thrash you posted here where did you read it should apply to[b] christians[/b]?

Why don't you show me a single verse in the bible where christians paid or were asked to pay tithes.

Paul ,Peter and the other apostles never demanded tithes from anyone, that was why paul had to fend for himself by building nests.

The other point you raised about the church collapsing if tithing was stoped is also faulty as we know christianity survived for centuries without tithes not to mention islam and some other christian sects most especially the jehovah's witness that are surving without tithes. Can you even name anyone of these tithes crazy churches that has more spread than JWs.

one other important thing is the definition of tithes,what does the term tithe stand for ?I say this because there is a great variance b/w the tithes stated in the bible and the modern tithes preached by today's prosperity preachers.

Biblical tithes as defined by the bible in deut 14:22-29

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

From the above passage it can be deduced that tithes were of two categories

Annual tithe -to be eaten by the tither and his family and this was done just once a year

Levithical tithe-This was done just once every three years and applied to levites ,orphans,strangers and widows.

biblical tithe never involved money neither was it paid on monthly or daily or weekly basis.

The truth remains that the modern day tithes has no biblical basis not even in the OT were tithes were still valid
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2011
^^^
Gbab gbam gbosa!!!
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Demainman1: 5:07pm On Feb 08, 2011
;d
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Demainman1: 5:08pm On Feb 08, 2011
Malachi ko! Nagasaki ni!!

I am sure that is what your pastor told you. Listen, God does not need your 10%, He need your heart. Go out there and become a light to the whole world. Be a salt to the world.

Stop using Malachi when it favours you only to turn round and tell me that Christ has annulled the law when it doesn't. Stop deceiving yourself you so called ''born again'' xtians!!!

Azibalua:

Tithing has nothing to do with what you feel like giving to god
It is a compulsion for every Christian and is mandatory
Anyone who does not tithe is a ROBBER

Malachi 3:8
Will a man rob god,yet ye have robbed me.
But ye say wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings

Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 7:13pm On Feb 08, 2011
Tithing has nothing to do with the law

Abraham paid tithes (before the law came)to melchisedec who lives forever

Genesis 14:18-20
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he[ was] the priest of the most high God. 19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed[ be] Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: 20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Jesus christ is our high priest in the order of Melchizedek

Hebrews 5:5-6
5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. 6 As he saith also in another[ place], Thou[ art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec

Hebrews 5:10
10 Being a designated and recognized and saluted by God as High Priest after the order( with b the rank) of Melchizedek.

This is the simplest way to explain this to ignorant people like you

If you don't pay your tithe, you are a ROBBER simple
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 8:31pm On Feb 08, 2011
Azibalua:

Abraham paid tithes (before the law came)to melchisedec who lives forever

And who told you Melchizedek lives forever? your pastor? abeg stop this nonsense angry I can see you chose to abadon Christ and subject yourself to Melchizedek priesthood. Melchizedek is now your high priest, good for you.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 2:57am On Feb 09, 2011
Posted by: Zikkyy
This is not true. Apostle Paul did more work than any pastor today, without tithe 
Oh yes, Apostle Paul did more work and suffered than any pastor today, but read the facts below

In 1 Corin 9 we are told that Apostle PAUL gave up his rights (privileges, entitlement) voluntarily.

Corin 9:11-12
Since we have planted spiritual seed among you, aren't We(pastors, priest, Apostles) entitled to a harvest of physical food and drink(YA Money cool)? If you support others who PREACH to you, shouldn't we have even GREATER RIGHT to be supported? ----->>>> But we have never useD this right. We would rather put up with anythin than be an obstacle to the Good News about CHRIST" ----- AMEN cheesy

Lets go deeper cool

Apostle paul choose to give up this right of RECIEVING hence following Matthew 23;23 that loving others as one of the most important principles in life. He did this by not focusing on what is best of HIM, but on what is "BEST FOR OTHERS".  This principle is based on PASTOR - TO MEMBERS and must be applied appropriately.

Let us reverse this principle - A real christian love should always be sacrificial. The sacrificial death of Christ for sinners is a model that reveals the nature of love that a believer should emulate. The whole of a believers life is to be an expression of Christ's sacrificial love. This sometimes is not easy, for this can mean that a believer must consider themselves dead to their own desires.(focusing on what we NEED and not what we WANT for starters)

Pay your tithes and leave the rest to God.

Posted by: Zikkyy
I dey contribute na 
Good. cheesy name it whatever you like.
Is it consistent? if not, make sure it is.
If you truely cannot afford it, God still loves you, Likewise your pastor. He should not embrass or use blackmailling tatics like some do. The most important aspect is CHRIST. but if you can afford it, WHY NOT?

Who are those people authorized to collect a portion of my salary
GOD! They are not to impose but make u aware of your duty. but it is up to you to decide where to plant your seed. Pray for the Holy Spirit to direct.
If you are currently at the right place, again open your eyes and ears, let the HOLY SPIRIT DIRECT.

Mandatory for the Jews you mean. Their brother (Levi) never got to share from the Promised Land, so they had to take care of them.
True word cool
Most pastors nowadays are part-timers in the sense that they are not suppose to have PRIVATE/PERSONAL Assets.
The pope and archbishop of cantebury do not own personal assets. They have signed their live away for the CHURCH. When they die they will be buried in the CHURCH Premises. Can that be said of these so called "men of GOD" (even calling them that makes me wanna XXXX.
That is why it is crucial that we know the WORD(truth) in order to be free from the Devil's LIES shocked
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 3:00am On Feb 09, 2011
You guy man pastor? They deceive yourself there if you think you can bribe God almighty.

Don't mind me jare, I am a FOOL(mugu) FOR CHRIST wink
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 3:03am On Feb 09, 2011
[s]
All these thrash you posted here where did you read it should apply to christians?

Why don't you show me a single verse in the bible where christians paid or were asked to pay tithes.

Paul ,Peter and the other apostles never demanded tithes from anyone, that was why paul had to fend for himself by building nests.

The other point you raised about the church collapsing if tithing was stoped is also faulty as we know christianity survived for centuries without tithes not to mention islam and some other christian sects most especially the jehovah's witness that are surving without tithes. Can you even name anyone of these tithes crazy churches that has more spread than JWs.

one other important thing is the definition of tithes,what does the term tithe stand for ?I say this because there is a great variance b/w the tithes stated in the bible and the modern tithes preached by today's prosperity preachers.

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Annual tithe -to be eaten by the tither and his family and this was done just once a year

Levithical tithe-This was done just once every three years and applied to levites ,orphans,strangers and widows.

biblical tithe never involved money neither was it paid on monthly or daily or weekly basis.

The truth remains that the modern day tithes has no biblical basis not even in the OT were tithes were still valid
[/s]

Coming back for yah cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by ogajim(m): 3:09am On Feb 09, 2011
OP is either a pastor who benefits from this tithe scam or a brainwashed zombie (some would say BOTNET) who is echoing everything he's been "taught".
You can't buy God's blessings, faith without works is DEAD.

Tithe your whole paycheck and it still won't mean a thing if you don't follow Christ's (who by the way never asked for tithe or paid one) example. It must SUCK big time to be in bondage even after Christ paid our debts on the CROSS. cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 3:14am On Feb 09, 2011
OP is either a pastor who benefits(Yes I have because since I opened this thread just won a contract wink) from this tithe scam or a brainwashed zombie A FOOL FOR CHRIST AND MY BRETHEN cheesy(some would say BOTNET) who is echoing everything he's been "taught

You can't buy God's blessings, faith without works is DEAD.
Before u lose the plot, read this thread that I wrote about FAITH AND WORKS CHEERS tongue

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-600132.0.html

It must SUCK big time to be in bondage even after Christ paid our debts on the CROSS.
True word. cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 3:57am On Feb 09, 2011
All these thrash GOOD NEWS you posted here where did you read it should apply to christians?Why don't you show me a single verse in the bible where christians paid or were  asked to pay tithes.

The bible of course. check the quotes in the previous postings above. You people choose to ignore the OT and only focus on the NT. That is the reason why so many of you are not well grounded in the WORD. Your kind have choosen to hide behind "JESUS HAS PAID OUR DEBTS" the same way the Pharisees were claiming that as the descendants of Abraham they are saved and safe from GOD'S JUDGEMENT.

READ

Matthew 3:9-10
And do not think you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire

Paul ,Peter and the other apostles never demanded tithes from anyone, that was why paul had to fend for himself by building nests
They gave up their rights for more important aspects of the GOOD news.

A Church should not rely solely on tithes. Why? Check out the Catholics and the Anglicans, most of their worshipers in europe are old pensioners. The church has invested wisely and ARE ABLE TO cater for their OWN. They even have pension provisions set up for the clergy. It is called wisdom and adapting to the world that we are living today. CEC, REDEEM, WINNERS AND OTHERS should learn from them. It is not all about church planting but investing wisely hence having the financial clout to become stakeholders in the mainstream and gaining more influence. TITHING is another means that can be used to achieve this objective if managed wisely. Believers can be part of this drive via TITHES.

one other important thing is the definition of tithes,what does the term tithe stand for ?I say this because there is a great variance b/w the tithes stated in the bible and the modern tithes preached by today's prosperity preachers
True word! cool
That is why the WORD of God is avaliable via the bible to read, understand, by accessing FACTS and gaining WISDOM.

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.   28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. AMEN cheesy

So you know where the TRUTH is ?  What the problem? GET UNDERSTANDING.
if u like pay your tithes weekly, monthly, yearly, or whatever your choice.

Stop being CONFUSED, pay your tithes and trust GOD wink

LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? / Why Do We Blame The Devil For Our Misdeeds? / Submit To The Righteousness Of God- Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.