Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:34 PM

In Love With Nigerian Man - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / In Love With Nigerian Man (5542 Views)

How To Get A Nigerian Man To Marry You / 11 Signs That He Is Madly In Love With You / I Am In Love With A Married Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Love With Nigerian Man by newbie2011: 1:04pm On Feb 09, 2011
Dear all, please give your honest opinions regarding this situation:

I'm a woman in my late 20s, and I'm only resorting to posting here because it's a topic that I can't really raise with my friends, acquaintances without them being 'biased' against the guy in question.

I'm in a relationship with a Nigerian man (it's only been a few weeks). He's in his mid-30s, a really a likeable guy, declares undying love for me (this was quite soon after we met). He's been working in SA for a few years (not a permanent resident yet though; I'm South African). I've met his friends and some siblings, know where he lives and he has really tried to be very open with me from day1. He says he'd like to have a future with me, marriage, kids and talking of either getting his mother to come down for a visit or I visit his family with him. This is all good and well, impressive in fact, but I'm terrified at the super-fast pace at which this seems to be going and whether it's genuine.

Based on many stories I've come across locally AND on this very forum about women who feel duped at the end of what seemed like a dream-come-true romance, I'm left wondering if he's got any ulterior motives, Now I know you probably think this is silly, 'how the hell are YOU supposed to know his motives'? I just don't know how to handle this. I'm constantly wondering about how truthful he's being about every single little thing he says and nit-picking his stories to see if I can pick up any discrepancies. It's driving me insane. I just feel like I'm living for the moment, with no idea if he could turn out to be something else a week, month, year/s from now.
I think what makes it even more difficult is the fact that him being non-South African makes the (my) usual 'screening' procedures useless. Basically, I can't figure him out and I'm worried sick.

Sorry for the long post. Consider it a rant if you can't give an opinion,
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SAGoddess: 1:16pm On Feb 09, 2011
grin grin grin

Get ready for insults from some of the mean women on here, good luck! wink wink wink

As for your post, I have nothing to say!
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by googles: 1:17pm On Feb 09, 2011
Oh well. . . .no one can really tell people's intentions {esp a man's. . .cunny lot tongue }

if you feel the same way about him why not just be positive about the whole thing  undecided . . . yea I un'stand your fears about the "Nigerian man" factor

but if you haven't found potholes and bumps in his stories then you should give him a chance. There are plenty good Nigerian men around only the few

bad ones have spoilt the Nigerianess worldwide.I hope yours is one of the good ones
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SAGoddess: 1:19pm On Feb 09, 2011
Hello Miss googles. . . . haven't seen you around for a bit. . . .
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by obowunmi(m): 1:20pm On Feb 09, 2011
@op: what does your gut tell you.

Love is a risk -- no one knows for what the future holds.
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by googles: 1:23pm On Feb 09, 2011
SA Goddess:

Hello Miss googles. . . . haven't seen you around for a bit. . . .

Hey sexie. . .'ve been kinda tied up with a lot of things.

How are you and my husband in your possession ? grin
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by MzGreat(f): 1:28pm On Feb 09, 2011
well said googles
everything in life is a risk
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SAGoddess: 1:28pm On Feb 09, 2011
I have also been away a lot lately. . . .  .all good girl, you well?

Your man is FINE as ever  cheesy growing big every day, he is four in May so get ready to introduce yourself to the  family as the official girl  cool  cool  cool

How is the new place, loving it I guess!!!

@ OP, I guess the others have said it, "there are no guarantees in love" so don't be afraid to take a risk.  . . .it would still not be guaranteed even if it was your home boy!
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by Dsense(m): 1:37pm On Feb 09, 2011
OP.
i'M ONE OF THE GOOD ONES . . . .DO i get a trial. undecided
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by bayleaf(m): 1:38pm On Feb 09, 2011
@OP, please be careful as most of our brothers profess love for material gains. he just might be using you to get a permanent resident status.
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by googles: 1:39pm On Feb 09, 2011
SA Goddess:

I have also been away a lot lately. . . .  .all good girl, you well?

Your man is FINE as ever  cheesy growing big every day, he is four in May so get ready to introduce yourself to the  family as the official girl  cool  cool  cool

How is the new place, loving it I guess!!!

Oh really ? ah hez ripe for marriage then  grin

I already have the dowry stashed under my mattress. . . come May,I am coming to get my husband  cheesy

oh yea bbz I'm loving my new apartment  wink
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by spikedcylinder: 1:44pm On Feb 09, 2011
Ah. Nairaland. cheesy

@ OP
Love in itself is a rick, anybody might be in it to take advantage of you. Treat the relationship like you would a regular one and just hope for the best.
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by MzGreat(f): 1:48pm On Feb 09, 2011
bayleaf:

@OP, please be careful as most of our brothers profess love for material gains. he just might be using you to get a permanent resident status.

as a man thinketh in his heart so is he.guess those bothers are from ur village
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by koolchicco: 2:26pm On Feb 09, 2011
MzGreat:

as a man thinketh in his heart so is he.guess those bothers are from your village

Thanks for a carefully thought-out reply/response. cool
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by Echez25(m): 2:30pm On Feb 09, 2011
Just Thread with CAUTION, also Put the situation to God in Prayer,cos whatever He is or Tries to Be would reveal Itself. Our Nigerian (MOST-MEN) can Go a long way to do Anything for PAPERS, ABROAD.

TCHAU!
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SAGoddess: 2:35pm On Feb 09, 2011
googles:

Oh really ? ah hez ripe for marriage then grin

I already have the dowry stashed under my mattress. . . come May,I am coming to get my husband cheesy

oh yea bbz I'm loving my new apartment wink

Oh the man is ripe o'right, besides I want a C Class (I am not unreasonable you see wink )

Glad you are loving the apartment, nothing like having own space. . . . .been on my own since 19 so you can just imagine cool cool cool
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by bayleaf(m): 2:40pm On Feb 09, 2011
MzGreat:

as a man thinketh in his heart so is he.guess those bothers are from your village
koolchicco:

Thanks for a carefully thought-out reply/response. cool
whatever. but i have seen these things happen over and over again.
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by newbie2011: 2:46pm On Feb 09, 2011
@obowunmi, honestly, my gut 'can't believe' what I'm getting myself into, but I guess if you have no frame of reference really, it's only natural to be worried.
@googles, no I haven't found potholes (lol) yet, I'm mostly just paranoid & second-guessing everything he says.
@bayleaf & Echez, that's my biggest worry. Imagine being left to pick up the pieces when that's what his motives turn out to be,
Spiked cylinder: I think I'll try that, thanks.

Thanks everyone for your input, if it doesn't work out, I'll come back here to rant and rave wink
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by Woke4all(m): 2:46pm On Feb 09, 2011
Nigeria, Good people great nation! grin
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by omega25red(m): 2:50pm On Feb 09, 2011
best thing to do is let him know you appreciate the love he has for you and let him know of your fears and concerns while telling him that you want to take things slow because things are moving too fast
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by newbie2011: 2:54pm On Feb 09, 2011
@omega25, that's a great idea, I'll do that - no point suffering alone. Thanks!
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by jaybee3(m): 3:00pm On Feb 09, 2011
What are u worried about really?
Your relationship being fast paced might be due to the fact that your guy is ready to get hitched hence the somewhat understandable pressures coming your way.

If you have doubts then tell him to take it slow and in turn see/monitor his reactions going forward.
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SALady(f): 3:06pm On Feb 09, 2011
@OP, I've always maintained that when a man is in love with you he will leave no doubt in your mind about his intentions.

Is it his intentions and intergrity you find questionable or the pace? be clear.

All I know is that when a man loves you he'll move mountains, go ahead and bet every penny you have on what I've just said, I daaaare you.
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by MrsChima(f): 3:09pm On Feb 09, 2011
There is nothing wrong with falling in love with a Nigerian man. After all they are humans and you may need a taser.
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SAGoddess: 3:19pm On Feb 09, 2011
Lady ho jwang? cool
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by MrsChima(f): 3:20pm On Feb 09, 2011
Huh?
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by Odunnu: 3:24pm On Feb 09, 2011
newbie2011:

@obowunmi, honestly, my gut 'can't believe' what I'm getting myself into, but I guess if you have no frame of reference really, it's only natural to be worried.
@googles, no I haven't found potholes (lol) yet, I'm mostly just paranoid & second-guessing everything he says.
@bayleaf & Echez, that's my biggest worry. Imagine being left to pick up the pieces when that's what his motives turn out to be,

Thanks everyone for your input, if it doesn't work out, I'll come back here to rant and rave wink

. . .and if you do that, we'l tear you up. Lol
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SALady(f): 3:30pm On Feb 09, 2011
SA Goddess:

Lady ho jwang? cool

Hello you, you been away for a while. But I see you say you've been away and busy at the same time. Hope you good. As always let me interest you on fun things to do, paintball shooting. Gather up a crowd of friends and have fun, will not disappoint you but will bruise you baaad!
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 09, 2011
newbie2011:

Ahan  . . . . what's are you trying to say na? Say Naija guys no get good intentions again      undecided Abeg take you time oh! I no dey like that kind talk.  angry  angry

For pete's sakes the man is approaching 40, do you expect him to settle into a loooog relationship/courtship    undecided That exactly are you afraid of? That he'll use you and dump you or that he wants to marry you for your papers?  undecided

Have Nigerians lost all their integrity that they can't go with out being second guessed    undecided

Please if you can't even trust this man then do him a favor and let him go jare . . . .  no be only you be wife material for SA! Mcccccheeeeeew!
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by SAGoddess: 3:40pm On Feb 09, 2011
SA Lady:

Hello you, you been away for a while. But I see you say you've been away and busy at the same time. Hope you good. As always let me interest you on fun things to do, paintball shooting. Gather up a crowd of friends and have fun, will not disappoint you but will bruise you baaad!

Bruises on my caramel skin, ae Lady, kea hana grin grin I will consider sky diving though, sounds like fun! Glad you are good babes. . . . . don't be a stranger now! wink
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by ShyOne(f): 3:42pm On Feb 09, 2011
1) slow him down

so that you and he can allow his:

words to match his actions

if he doesn't slow down - it doesn't allow you to see if his actions will match his promises, statements, mentionings, whispers

a slower pace - allows you and he to both see just how genuine and sincere the other is in any relationship - friendship, romance, etc.

this is not rocket science my friend - it matters not what be thy lot {whether u are American, South African, West African} - allow time for words and actions to mirror each other

that is your indicator

God doesn't rush you into a situation blindly - he allows you time for observation and growth - God is a patient, loving and good God as is his creation - slow the relationship down - this should alleviate your fear and double guessing - you shouldn't have to play police officer or sherlock holmes with a prospective candidate who is vying to be your life partner - if you have to stress on this level - u should be spending your time enjoying this guy - not worrying about his motives or testing him - time is the tester - you can believe that!
Re: In Love With Nigerian Man by MrsChima(f): 3:46pm On Feb 09, 2011
OP,

Real talk, the fact that you even created a thread concerns me what you think of the man that you are in love with.  If you are sensing red flags then you need to investigate what those red flags mean. 

We are unable to really assess the man or you so we are giving you blind opinions and suggestions. 

If you was in USA, I would offer my DETECTIVE services because I AM BADD! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Am I Just Stupid Or She's Playing Hard To Get? / What Albert Einstein Said About Kissing A Pretty Girl / Who Is A Lady?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.