Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,376 members, 7,861,034 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:39 PM

Scarcity Of Kerosene - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scarcity Of Kerosene (608 Views)

Scarcity Of Bread Hits Kano As Bakers Embark On Strike / Ben Bruce Compares Price Of Kerosene In Nigeria And India / FG Ends Kerosene Subsidy, To Sell For N83 Per Litre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scarcity Of Kerosene by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 13, 2011
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5676581-146/story.csp

People turn to charcoal, firewood

February 13, 2011 02:59AM

Wood and charcoal sellers in Lagos have increased the prices of their products, following the hike in the price of kerosene, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. A survey on Friday revealed that a stack of wood, which was sold for between N50 and N60, is now selling for N120, while the price of a bag of charcoal has jumped from N500 to N1,200. A 54-year-old charcoal seller, Abosede Ajayi, said that she decided to increase her price due to an increase in patronage.

“The patronage is high and this is an opportunity for firewood and charcoal sellers to make our own money because once the price of kerosene drops, people will no longer patronise us,” she said.

A litre of kerosene goes for between N130 and N150 in a few filling stations that still have the product instead of the official price of N50. Kerosene is being sold for as much as N200 a litre in the open market. Some Lagos residents said that they had resorted to the use of firewood, charcoal and sawdust to cope with the current scarcity of kerosene.

“I can no longer afford to buy kerosene at the price it is being sold now, considering the economic hardship in the country. The increment is too much,” said Morayo Wilson, a resident of Ketu.

She appealed to the government to urgently address the situation before it got out of hand. Oyenike Jimoh, a food seller at the National Theatre, Iganmu, said that the high cost of kerosene had compelled her to reduce the quantity of food being sold to customers.

“I prefer to use firewood rather than kerosene now, and I have reduced the quantity of food and my customers are complaining,” she said.

Kubura Afinni, another food seller in Ebute-Metta, said that she had temporarily stopped cooking since the increase in the price of kerosene.

“I cannot continue cooking and my customers keep complaining that the food is too small. I tried explaining to my customers, but they seemed not to understand me,” she said.
Re: Scarcity Of Kerosene by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 13, 2011
i thought gej was sorting out our refineries, or was that just another big fat lie posited by his NL spokesmen
Re: Scarcity Of Kerosene by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 13, 2011
bump tongue
Re: Scarcity Of Kerosene by ddcmachine: 10:34pm On Feb 13, 2011
Gej has directed the nnpc to let this product available and affordable. The news has been over taken by event
Re: Scarcity Of Kerosene by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^^^

source?

or is this just another made up fact?

could this be what to expect in the days to come - spurious unverifiable claims of progress?
Re: Scarcity Of Kerosene by Mobinga: 1:20pm On Feb 14, 2011
cry cry cry

@oyb. Did you hear? Crysis 2 leaked along with its entire source code. 9 GB. cry
Re: Scarcity Of Kerosene by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 14, 2011
Mobinga:

cry cry cry

@oyb. Did you hear? Crysis 2 leaked along with its entire source code. 9 GB. cry

sick bastards angry angry angry angry

crysis 3 will be console only cry cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Revolution, Is Impossible In Nigeria? Some Say Never! Says Who? / Azikiwe Speaks On Ironsi's Rise To Power And The Jan 66 Coup / Gaddafi Renews Attack On Rebels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.