Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,019 members, 7,821,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor (7602 Views)

Leave North Within Two Weeks..Northern Youths Tell Igbos,Yorubas And South South / Enmity Between Igbos & Yorubas: Enough Is Enough! / Boko-Haram Amnesty Failure: Igbos, Yorubas Flee Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by Nobody: 8:13am On Feb 14, 2011
eku_bear:

Realistically, we do. Doesn't mean we must be holding hands together today just because there is some common ancestor from 200AD or something

How ?
the theory of tradition between yoruba and ibo does not show that they have the same origin.The little homogenity may have been as a result of culture capture during the conquering period of early historical period.
The benin through the theory of strong tradition linking oranmiyan;a yoruba prince to the benin dynasty shows nothing but a pointer that benin may have been a vassal state to the oyo empire since they have to seek the oyo empire approval before a new oba is chosen in the benin kingdom and secondly,the remains of dead benin kings are also buried in oyo.
What this shows is that some kingdoms were more powerful than the others during this period and it may have been possible that the powerful ones were oppressive and force their culture on the weaker kingdom or even unconsciously too.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by namfav(m): 8:16am On Feb 14, 2011
fstranger3:

Be honest, arent you jealous of us Yorubas?

im not jealous of yorubas, why should i be?
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by dayokanu(m): 8:20am On Feb 14, 2011
Language mix as a result of trading and mingling between tribes pre-European.

I can give you countless words that are common to Hausa and Yoruba e.g Alaafia, wahala, etc.

As an aside, Yorubas call Father = Baba, Europeans call Father Papa. That means Yoruba and Europeans share a common ancestor grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by homerac7: 9:54am On Feb 14, 2011
@ Ezeuche,

Myself being a speaker of d two languages find d effort of ur cited author to link d languages by d shown examples as weak. Most of d examples cited don't show correlation beyond phonology, bt unrelated ethymologically.

I believe in common ancestry of humanity, but I also think dt current status is a result of complex dynamics dt may not b explainable wt simple and straight argument.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by EzeUche2(m): 4:11pm On Feb 14, 2011
Did I see someone comparing Yoruba with the Hausa language? Hausa is an Afro-Asiatic language, which is part of the Chadic branch of languages, which include Angas, Mwaghavul, Karekare, Bole and Bachama. Most of these languages are going extinct though.

Yoruba on the other hand is part of the West Benue-Congo language family, which include Igbo, Nupe, Edo, Igala, Idoma, Fon and Ewe.

Afro-Asiatic languages are vastly different from the Niger-Congo languages. There are many similarities amongst the Igbo language with the Yoruba language than they are with Hausa, which is a more Asiatic language.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by fstranger3(m): 4:21pm On Feb 14, 2011
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by ekubear1: 9:58pm On Feb 14, 2011
^-- Not sure of the relevance, but a great song.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by jason123: 10:05pm On Feb 14, 2011
Why don't you guys allow the Binis to unite the South since they are the oldest empire? I personally believe we are all form the Binis or the Yorubas according to their stories undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:19pm On Feb 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

How ?
the theory of tradition between yoruba and ibo does not show that they have the same origin.The little homogenity may have been as a result of culture capture during the conquering period of early historical period.
The benin through the theory of strong tradition linking oranmiyan;a yoruba prince to the benin dynasty shows nothing but a pointer that benin may have been a vassal state to the oyo empire since they have to seek the oyo empire approval before a new oba is chosen in the benin kingdom and secondly,the remains of dead benin kings are also buried in oyo.
What this shows is that some kingdoms were more powerful than the others during this period and it may have been possible that the powerful ones were oppressive and force their culture on the weaker kingdom or even unconsciously too.

You keep peddling this falsehood about Oyo (you mean Ife, Oyo is Benin's junior brother, from all indications), and approval. Did the Pope's approval of the king of Italy, the king of France, etc. , mean that France and Italy were vassal states to the Vatican in ancient times?

And the nonsense about the remains of dead Benin kings being buried in Oyo (stop this Oyo crap, at least say Ife if you want to peddle this lie and don't pile lies upon lies) is absolutely and completely a made up story by Egharevba. The kings of Benin were never decapitated after death. They were put in large graves and three or four or more citizens happily sacrificed themselves and went into the grave with the Oba because they viewed him as a god. This is confirmed by European written accounts from hundreds of years ago.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:29pm On Feb 14, 2011
@ topic

This is just a theory so far.

The majority of Yoruba, Igbo, Nupe, Edo, and Idoma words are different.

There are very many cognates, but if they are ultimately from the same ancestor from 10,000 years ago it doesn't mean much.

The Slavic example given is different, because those groups had similar history and culture in recent times. The Yoruba, Igbo, Nupe, Edo, and Idoma, and other Kwa groups, with few exceptions, have similar culture only in the most superficial, general, West African sense. At the local level, two groups could have a lot in common, like Urhobo and Edo, or Idoma and Igala, so those specific cultural/linguistic groups can be grouped the way certain Slavic groups are grouped under the umbrella term of Slavic, but extending it beyond this to claim that Edo are little different from Ibibio or Igbo is little different from Nupe, is artificial and deceiving, I feel.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by fstranger3(m): 10:29pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^^^

You guys should not start again oooooooooo

I hate this Benin/Yoruba crap!
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:41pm On Feb 14, 2011
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by ezeagu(m): 11:13pm On Feb 14, 2011
Slavic identity = Igbo identity.

That is all.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by ekubear1: 11:27pm On Feb 14, 2011
ezeagu:

Slavic identity = Igbo identity.

That is all.

I thought you were a pan-Igbo sort of guy?

If so, that equality is very bad from your perspective, is it not?
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by jason123: 11:36pm On Feb 14, 2011
eku_bear:

http://www.beninensis.net/benin_anango.htm
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by ezeagu(m): 11:37pm On Feb 14, 2011
eku_bear:

Not when each of the groups have a better relationship with each other and actually need each other.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by ekubear1: 1:48am On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

Not when each of the groups have a better relationship with each other and actually need each other.

But the Slavs dislike each other? Ukraine beefing with Russia, Poland invaded by Russia and anti-Russian, etc, etc.

Likely I'm misunderstanding your analogy.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by ezeagu(m): 3:13am On Feb 15, 2011
eku_bear:

But the Slavs dislike each other? Ukraine beefing with Russia, Poland invaded by Russia and anti-Russian, etc, etc.

I'm talking about culture and diversity, not politics. The Igbo are not as disunited politically as the Slavs. I meant more of the Southern Slavic people anyway.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by namfav(m): 6:54am On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

I'm talking about culture and diversity, not politics. The Igbo are not as disunited politically as the Slavs. I meant more of the Southern Slavic people anyway.

if you tell a slav that you are similar he will probably commit suicide, the insult of being compared to a biafran will be too hard to bare
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by Nobody: 7:00am On Feb 15, 2011
namfav:

if you tell a slav that you are similar he will probably commit suicide, the insult of being compared to a biafran will be too hard to bare

shocked shocked grin grin
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by EzeUche2(m): 7:04am On Feb 15, 2011
namfav:

Shut up you desert rat. Go back to your God forsaken land you Arab worshiper. Not even fit to be called an AFRICAN
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by EzeUche2(m): 7:09am On Feb 15, 2011
eku_bear:

There is a sort of Pan-Slavism though. Why do you think World War I occurred? Russia felt their Slavic brothers in the Balkans needed help against the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Ukraine and Russia's beef should not even exist, because they are basically the same people, in which the Rus (Russian homeland) is found in Ukraine. Kiev to be more exact.

But there is a Pan-Slav identity though. Not much in Poland though, due to fear of their bigger Slavic neighbor, the Russians. Maybe this is due to religious beliefs, because the Russians and the Christian communities in the Balkans follow mostly the Eastern Orthodox, while the Poles are Roman Catholic.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by archive(f): 7:23am On Feb 15, 2011
here we go again - read my post on tribalism being a detriment to Nigeria at www.thenigerianarchive.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by namfav(m): 7:29am On Feb 15, 2011
EzeUche_:

Shut up you desert rat. Go back to your God forsaken land you Arab worshiper. Not even fit to be called an AFRICAN

uche the crazy igbo bushman
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by EzeUche2(m): 7:32am On Feb 15, 2011
namfav:

uche the crazy igbo bushman

namfav the aboki/almajiri from Northern Nigeria.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by ekubear1: 7:37am On Feb 15, 2011
EzeUche_:

There is a sort of Pan-Slavism though. Why do you think World War I occurred? Russia felt their Slavic brothers in the Balkans needed help against the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
I thought it was more a series of pacts all those countries signed? Like, "saving my slavic brother" was part of it, but even more important was a mutual defense treaty they signed, no?

Ukraine and Russia's beef should not even exist, because they are basically the same people, in which the Rus (Russian homeland) is found in Ukraine. Kiev to be more exact.
They sort of should be the same people. But I don't know how exactly they became different. From what I understand, Ukrainian speakers can understand Russian, and vice versa? Could be wrong on this though. Yet within Ukraine, there is a divide between Ukrainian speakers who want to align more closely w. Europe, and primarily Russian speakers who want to look East.

But there is a Pan-Slav identity though. Not much in Poland though, due to fear of their bigger Slavic neighbor, the Russians. Maybe this is due to religious beliefs, because the Russians and the Christian communities in the Balkans follow mostly the Eastern Orthodox, while the Poles are Roman Catholic.
Poland though has had a distinct identity from Russia for at least 700 years now, though. And I don't think Polish and Russian are mutually intelligible. So there is enough distance for them to be viewed as distinct peoples.
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by namfav(m): 7:56am On Feb 15, 2011
eku_bear and uche lying to each other, there will be a genocide if slavs are compared to biafran
Re: Igbos, Yorubas, Nupe, Edo, Idoma All Share A Common Ancestor by Caleb15(m): 8:52pm On Sep 15, 2023
EzeUche2:

They finally went to war, you must be a prophet

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Police Boss For Nasarawa After Killings / PIC - Is Obama And President Joko Of Indonesia Brothers ???? / As A Nigerian, Do You Have Integrity? Olawepo Hashim Steers Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.