Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana (32089 Views)

FG Reacts To Killing Of Nigerian Pastor By Chinese Government / New Minimum Wage: FG Reacts To Labour’s December 31 Deadline / FG Reacts To Saraki Exit From APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by benji93: 7:16pm On Aug 18, 2020
I grow up for Ghana now. So na first hand information. You asked for one underlying factor. That's it @BabaRamota. grin. I actually spoke with an elderly on the issue yesterday. I claimed that i kind of sympathize with the Ghanaians, and it's unfair that Nigerians are competing with Ghanaians for sales and he started by saying "Ọrọ ni, Ọrọ tun kọ ni" and then he reminded me about some of the underlying reasons.
BabaRamota1980:

According to who cheesy
You funny
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by kokomilala(m): 7:23pm On Aug 18, 2020
j@oeGH,well ,I only want infered it, but now that you've spilled the beans and skinned the game, I'll come to the party. What you're saying about Nigeria being a failed state is right within the realm of abstraction, but in reality, the world cannot explain away the failed statehood of Nigeria and then discard it like a worn out coat. Who headquarters and funds ECOWAS, basically. The ECOWAS Secretariat is in Abuja, Nigeria,Kwame Nkrumah Street, I think. Who funded ECOMOG during the Librarian and Sierra Leonian Civil Wars of the 90s and early 2000s? How then you bilittle the essence, not to talk of might of Nigeria in the region. Even the UN cannot, for once, question the importance of Nigeria in Africa and world affairs.
You sure need to sieve between the facts and fiction .Forget it your arrogant tarzanism about your Ghana. Your Ghana is a whiff of air with the storm that's Nigeria.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by BabaRamota1980: 7:38pm On Aug 18, 2020
benji93:
I grow up for Ghana now. So na first hand information. You asked for one underlying factor. That's it @BabaRamota. grin. I actually spoke with an elderly on the issue yesterday. I claimed that i kind of sympathize with the Ghanaians, and it's unfair that Nigerians are competing with Ghanaians for sales and he started by saying "Ọrọ ni, Ọrọ tun kọ ni" and then he reminded me about some of the underlying reasons.
Ask AFONJAPIG, his ancestors have been selling donkunu and kenke in Ghana before Lugard was born. He has the underlying reason. cheesy
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by GOOOGLE504(m): 7:38pm On Aug 18, 2020
stonemasonn:
Nigerian traders in Ghana should come together to form a conglomerate. Get a massive plaza near the market to sell the various goods, register it with a name, bank account and directors.

When people really want to rid you of their country, nothing you do would suffice. Ghana didn't start with the traders, but with the government by demolishing that house. Since there was no active reciprocation from our 'leaders', they continued.

#Its a bad time to be a Nigerian.
Sadly Racism against us is gradually gaining worldwide justification

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:46pm On Aug 18, 2020
hisgrace090:

When Ghana people that can boast of 1million dollars are not up to 50, what an irony!

Demanding such from single shop owners amount to madness.

That’s a diplomatic way of telling them to get lost!

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by BabaRamota1980: 8:00pm On Aug 18, 2020
GOOOGLE504:

When people really want to rid you of their country, nothing you do would suffice. Ghana didn't start with the traders, but with the government by demolishing that house. Since there was no active reciprocation from our 'leaders', they continued.

#Its a bad time to be a Nigerian.
Sadly Racism against us is gradually gaining worldwide justification

They demolished a house? Whose house
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Nature8(m): 8:31pm On Aug 18, 2020
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Capnd143(m): 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2020
colonelwealth:

Na useless Ghanaian.
ah.. No wonder.

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Nnannapat(m): 10:33pm On Aug 18, 2020
jrtorrents:

You clearly don't understand ECOWAS and what's it's suppose to do. ECOWAS does not mean a Nigerian can pick up his bag, and move to another country and enjoy the same rights as citizens.

Besides this law is only meant to restrict the retail market which is usually reserved for poorer Ghanaians. There are several areas of the Ghanaian economy (banking, IT, law, media, catering, real estate etc) that Nigerians can still operate in Ghana.
What then is the free movement of people, goods and services?

If I find products that are cheaper in Burkina Faso,buy them then take them to Ghana after paying custom duties then I must give them to Ghanaians to sell for me or I have to cough out 1 million USD. How many wholesalers in Ghana can boast of 1 million USD?

Why is it that it is only Ghana that requires this 1 million USD capital to operate? Most Francophone countries in the sub-region only requires that you get your trade permit, resident permit and then pay your taxes as at when due then you are good to go. In Nigeria there is even nothing like trade permit for foreigners, just register your business, pay for an outlet then boom, a foreigner can practically do any business in Nigeria if he/she has the means.
We copied the European Union to form ECOWAS, but an Eastern European from Bulgaria or Romania can comfortably open a tea shop in Paris without much sweating, while I need a million dollars to open one in Ghana. Are we not deceiving ourselves here?
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by anoziechi(f): 11:13pm On Aug 18, 2020
I thought bubu will be shocked�
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Yaismayaila(m): 6:19am On Aug 19, 2020
Na our oga started closing borders nah���
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by jrtorrents: 7:03am On Aug 19, 2020
Nnannapat:
What then is the free movement of people, goods and services?

If I find products that are cheaper in Burkina Faso,buy them then take them to Ghana after paying custom duties then I must give them to Ghanaians to sell for me or I have to cough out 1 million USD. How many wholesalers in Ghana can boast of 1 million USD?

Why is it that it is only Ghana that requires this 1 million USD capital to operate? Most Francophone countries in the sub-region only requires that you get your trade permit, resident permit and then pay your taxes as at when due then you are good to go. In Nigeria there is even nothing like trade permit for foreigners, just register your business, pay for an outlet then boom, a foreigner can practically do any business in Nigeria if he/she has the means.
We copied the European Union to form ECOWAS, but an Eastern European from Bulgaria or Romania can comfortably open a tea shop in Paris without much sweating, while I need a million dollars to open one in Ghana. Are we not deceiving ourselves here?

1. ECOWAS is not the same as EU. In EU any citizen can move and settle in another country, ECOWAS doesn’t allow that. You can only travel visa free for a number of days.

2. Free movement doesn’t mean settlement. If you’re a trader based in Nigeria you should be able to trade freely with a Ghanaian trader. That doesn’t mean you can set up shop in Ghana without having some kinda permit.

3. Every ECOWAS country including Nigeria has similar laws, that restrict certain parts of their economy to only citizens.

4. Why do they demand $1million? It’s a diplomatic way of telling foreigners to back off.

5. if it’s just a handful of Nigerians trading in Ghana it wouldn’t be an issue but here is the case there are thousands of Nigerian traders trading across Ghana. No country including Nigeria will allow foreigners to take over their country while citizens go hungry. This is exactly the reason why Britain left the EU.

6. People are forgetting that there are still thousands of not millions of Nigerians in Ghana engaged in other services (banking, real estate, manufacturing, education etc) who haven’t been asked to stop.

1 Like

Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Eshin1(m): 7:53am On Aug 19, 2020
Blue3k:

Source: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/fg-reacts-to-closure-of-nigerian-traders-shops-in-ghana
Nigerian government should tighten international relations with Ghana but first fix it's home first.
Re: FG Reacts To Closure Of Nigerian Traders' Shops In Ghana by Eshin1(m): 10:16am On Dec 04, 2020
nero2face:
u that read till end, oya blame Ghana or individual Nigerians for trading in Ghana, how many Ghanaians are here trading in Nigeria... spit for u
how many Chinese are doing business in China alone ,be wise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Okorocha Dances With Ex-BBNaija Housemates, Miracle, Nina, Others In Imo / Gunmen Kill Two Police Officers In Akwa Ibom / ‘those Celebrating My Downfall Celebrated Too Soon!’ – Ben Murray-bruce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.