Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (408251 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by 2dmax(m): 3:26pm On Mar 03, 2011
DO GET YOUR BEST QOUTES FOR ELECTRICAL WIRES AND CABLES ONLY FROM US. 100% Cu/ALUM, ISO CERTIFIED.

Just send your electrician's list to maxndianaefo@yahoo.com in this format below for the best qoutes:
Name of wire/cable - type - length needed.
ie, 16mm aluminium - grey or black pvc coating - 80 metres needed.

Thank you and good luck.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by lastpage: 4:09pm On Mar 03, 2011
2dmax
Insert Quote
@ spyder880, sir i noticed your foundation blocks are of the holeless variety. Are they better than the ones with holes?

Thank, and may your waist be strong!
I also want an answer to that question of "Holeless Blocks" but l cant "see" whether they dont have holes or the holes have been filled as normal?
Must be aging in the eyes grin

BTW: Spyder, a 10Ton truck of sharp sand is 25K in Lagos!
Lagos gets costly on most things, just like cost of building materials and house rent! angry angry
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 5:41pm On Mar 03, 2011
2dmax:

@ spyder880, sir i noticed your foundation blocks are of the holeless variety. Are they better than the ones with holes?

Thank, and may your waist be strong!

My blocks are of the solid types, no holes inside. The hollow blocks are cheaper in price and more lightweight but I noticed they easily crack or break under the slightest pressure. Some people still use them but I always advice they use it for downstairs or the upper parts of an upstair apartment. I always use the blind blocks in most of my works. I may have to reduce size when I finish the decking, I may use 5" solid blocks to finish the top of the building.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 5:54pm On Mar 03, 2011
lastpage:

I also want an answer to that question of "Holeless Blocks" but l cant "see" whether they dont have holes or the holes have been filled as normal?
Must be aging in the eyes grin

BTW: Spyder, a 10Ton truck of sharp sand is 25K in Lagos!
Lagos gets costly on most things, just like cost of building materials and house rent! angry angry

I wonder why sand is so costly in Lagos, with all those sand from the beach and from all those lagoons, streams and rivers? We have only a few small rivers in Enugu and still sand is cheaper here. Still, I think it is the real 10 ton trucks they are using here cause the 4 trips I used to make blocks gave me 1342 pcs of 6" solid blocks with 40 bags of cement.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by lastpage: 6:02pm On Mar 03, 2011
Lucky you, if you're not careful in Lagos, upon your 25K/Tipper, you will discover that the truck has a false bottom! angry angry
10-Ton will suddenly look like 5-Ton, on ground!

Only God can understand all these "Agberos" in Lagos but the City is incomparable, all the same grin grin

I hope you're not getting fagged out by the combination of the building supervision and "photographer work" you're doing?

Wish you more strength.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 6:10pm On Mar 03, 2011
There was no work in the site today. The taps are not running and the stage am getting into needs more than 5000 gallons of water. This stage is called 'sinking the foundation'. It is a process where we intentionally waterlog the whole foundation, pouring so much water inside the building, so that every room is drowned in water. We expect the water to seep into the groung and 'set' the loose sand in the bottom so the ones on the top sinks inside, creating more spaces that we have to still fill up again till it becomes strong.
After this, we ramm the soil in manually, by using flat wooden impliments to hammer the soil into position. After that we fill it with big stone before we board it round with wooden planks ready for the concrete german floor.
My men are standing by, waiting for water to run. No money was spent on the site today.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2011
lastpage:

Lucky you, if you're not careful in Lagos, upon your 25K/Tipper, you will discover that the truck has a false bottom! angry angry
10-Ton will suddenly look like 5-Ton, on ground!

Only God can understand all these "Agberos" in Lagos but the City is incomparable, all the same grin grin

I hope you're not getting fagged out by the combination of the building supervision and "photographer work" you're doing?

Wish you more strength.

Fagged out? Naaa, I use a Nokia N97 mini and it is so much fun taking pictures with it. I also love staying around in a site all day long. Still wonder why I didnt read an engineering based field, or at least do architecture.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:42pm On Mar 03, 2011
lastpage:

@Spyder:
Spyder, 3Trips of sand for that price (18K) => One Trip => is 6K?
What size of Tipper is this referring to?
10Tons? 5Tons? 20Tons?
I am asking because l was buying a "10 Ton" of Sharp sand for 25K, in Lagos and am wondering whether l am missing something here?
Cheers

@ Landscape

Please be well informed that you are being reaped off!!!!
Me too I have been buying sharp sand(dredging) for 24k
But today I just discovered that the original price is 22k
And I have bought a total of 9 tippers of the sand
so I have lost 18k to some thief!!!
Please make your equires well oo (also they are 10 tons)
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:53pm On Mar 03, 2011
kuntash:

Good day " Am Alone & Spyder"

from what I can deduce from your projects, , Spyder so far is using washed gravels while Am Alone is granite all the way,

Question:

@ Spyder, pls do u intend to use this washed gravel all the way or u would be using them for the german floor and foundation (DPC) correct me if I am wrong pls, ? and use granite for pillars and beams?

@ Am Alone, what was the total cost of the German floor alone?

@ both of u, WHY GERMAN FLOOR? is this compulsory? whats the worst case scenario if excluded in a building such as a 4-bedroom bungalow in a place like Lagos??

@ all, why the sharp variations in the cost of the sand? , do you have them so cheap elsewhere ?, Enugu for example?

@ Kuntash

The total cost of my german floor is: around 350k

Omonile ---- 40k
Workmanship & pure water & rice for the labour after finish: 77k
Granite 30 tons(they use just about 25ton of it): 130k
Cement 80 bags @ 1800 per bag: 144,000
Sharp sand 20 ton: 48000
water(for people who fetch it from the well): 4000
wood & nail & capenter say: 31,000
size of house is around 220 square meters
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:56pm On Mar 03, 2011
@ spyder

Sharp sand pass sharp sand

what you are using is fresh water sharp sand

the later is Sea water sharp sand

Shark and cat-fish no be the same na

In lagos here we have sands like the one you are using
but for a solid structure
NOT ADVICE-ABLE!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:04pm On Mar 03, 2011
This blocks that don't have holes are extinct

They are old fashion
Pillars carries the building
You will NEVER EVER come accross any construction company
build with this none hollowed blocks
Hollowed blocks add less weight to the building
why the non hollowed blocks
is not advise-able
because of it weight.
it is just not the best(I stand to be corrected by spyder)
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:11pm On Mar 03, 2011
Am Alone:

@ spyder

Sharp sand pass sharp sand

what you are using is fresh water sharp sand

the later is Sea water sharp sand

Shark and cat-fish no be the same na

In lagos here we have sands like the one you are using
but for a solid structure
NOT ADVICE-ABLE!!!!

Hahahahaha! Nairaland! Una no go kill me o!
So there is ocean sharp sand and its different from river sharp sand? Double chei!! Tell me you are paying for the whales that layed eggs on the sand na! (because they will soon conince you whales lay eggs!!)
Better change your advicers, they are decieving you bros.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2011
I laff when ppl say GRANITE & GRAVEL are same.

Truth of the matter is
use what best you can afford.

But fact is GRANITE IS FAR FAR STRONGER THAN GRAVEL
Conkry na Conkry
Further more if it is true that gravel is as strong as granite
why are gravels not used in the construction of all this modern
roads and bridges, when they are even cheaper

Truth bsay. Them 2 strong o
but Granite strong pass
especially the small ones, ( quarter inch)
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:17pm On Mar 03, 2011
@ spyder

u thing u kno but u don't know
come to Lagos and learn the truth.

Man the sand wey them bring from sea is called dredging sand
it is far far better than the fresh water sand
go and ask anybody
and it is this same sand our Government use in building bridges and gutters
and all those sky scrappers you see around

I no fit type abeg
No time to begin argue blindly with u man
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:32pm On Mar 03, 2011
Am Alone:

This blocks that don't have holes are extinct

They are old fashion
Pillars carries the building
You will NEVER EVER come accross any construction company
build with this none hollowed blocks
Hollowed blocks add less weight to the building
why the non hollowed blocks
is not advise-able
because of it weight.
it is just not the best(I stand to be corrected by spyder)

The solid blocks are the old fashioned types. People started making hollow blocks for its light weight, but it has some limitations. Rats, cockroaches and bats can find a ready abode anytime a hollow block cracks in your house, and it always cracks, try mounting a wall hanger or hanging a nail for picture etc and see how it just opens up wide.
I just like using solid blocks, on the top I will use reduced sizes like 5" to finish up.
I dont do what construction companies do, and they may just be doing that to cut costs, actually, its cheaper to use hollow blocks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2011
spyder880:

The solid blocks are the old fashioned types. People started making hollow blocks for its light weight, but it has some limitations. Rats, cockroaches and bats can find a ready abode anytime a hollow block cracks in your house, and it always cracks, try mounting a wall hanger or hanging a nail for picture etc and see how it just opens up wide.
I just like using solid blocks, on the top I will use reduced sizes like 5" to finish up.
I dont do what construction companies do, and they may just be doing that to cut costs, actually, its cheaper to use hollow blocks.

What is stated above has nothing to do with hollowed blocks
It has to do with a block that is not strong.
Yes i quite agree with you that hollow blocks are a bit stronger
but the weight it it add to a building is even worst than the strength and besides
it is not the blocks that hold or carries the house. It is the pillars in the house!!!

Furthermore, no matter strength of the blocks or concrete or granite or gravel. Rats will still have their ways.
And except you don't paster your house
that bats(bats ke? For city wey no forest) can find their way in
beside, I've not heard or seen that b4 if not for u.

Man NON HOLLOWED BLOCKS ARE EXTINCT!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:48pm On Mar 03, 2011
I can take you to a thousand and one blocks industries here in lag
and can't find where they mold this non hollowed blocks you are talking about
I mean they were made & used by my ancestors

And BROS MIND YOU
THOSE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY NO DEY SAVE MONEY O
THEM READY SPEND AM DIE
IF NA LIE ASK ANYBODY IN THE HOUSE
THEM DEY ALWAYS BUY AND WASTE MATERIALS MAN
IF IT IS THE BEST
I BET YOU THEY WILL SURELY USE IT
AND BESIDE, THEY ARE NOT MORE EXPENSIVE
THEY ARE CHEAP!!!!! history,
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:52pm On Mar 03, 2011
Am Alone:

What is stated above has nothing to do with hollowed blocks
It has to do with a block that is not strong.
Yes i quite agree with you that hollow blocks are a bit stronger
but the weight it it add to a building is even worst than the strength and besides
it is not the blocks that hold or carries the house. It is the pillars in the house!!!

Furthermore, no matter strength of the blocks or concrete or granite or gravel. Rats will still have their ways.
And except you don't paster your house
that bats(bats ke? For city wey no forest) can find their way in
beside, I've not heard or seen that b4 if not for u.

Man NON HOLLOWED BLOCKS ARE EXTINCT!!!!

I dont understand what you mean by EXTINCT, as in they dont exist any longer?, then what did you see in my pictures am using as blocks, Dinausars?

1 Like

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:03pm On Mar 03, 2011
Am Alone:

And BROS MIND YOU
THEM READY SPEND AM DIE
IF IT IS THE BEST

But, I can also take you to a million block industries here in Enugu that mould solid, non hallowed blocks!
And, what a news, so people set up companies to waste materials and lose money? Bros, dont let them hear you.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:06pm On Mar 03, 2011
spyder880:

But, I can also take you to a million block industries here in Enugu that mould solid, non hallowed blocks!
And, what a news, so people set up companies to waste materials and lose money? Bros, dont let them hear you.

block na block
so long as enoff cement dey there
hollowed or no hollowed
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:08pm On Mar 03, 2011
make we no argue
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by brabus(m): 9:08pm On Mar 03, 2011
spyder880:

@SPYDER, Why do you have german floors? No rat on this planet can dig a solid floor especially one made with granite. Aren't you going to plaster the house? What about beams? Hollow Block, are you doing surface wiring? The hollow centres of the blocks suffice for electric conduit piping and water piping from roof to preferred placing on the wall. What about heat insulation? Solid blocks or bricks in Nigeria, when we are not in Antartica. You plan to have 2hp AC in each room or 8ft wide windows

Please kindly attend to this questions. You may have good reasons
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:16pm On Mar 03, 2011
Am Alone:

And BROS MIND YOU
THEM READY SPEND AM DIE
IF IT IS THE BEST

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:19pm On Mar 03, 2011
@ brabus

^^^ LOL!!!
Nice post grin grin grin grin

Non hollowed blocks are extinct!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:22pm On Mar 03, 2011
From Gravel same quality as Granite
To Non Hollowed Blocks
Fact that you are using it does not makes it the best
LOL!!!
Gudluck
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:30pm On Mar 03, 2011
brabus:

@SPYDER, Why do you have german floors? No rat on this planet can dig a solid floor especially one made with granite. Aren't you going to plaster the house? What about beams? Hollow Block, are you doing surface wiring? The hollow centres of the blocks suffice for electric conduit piping and water piping from roof to preferred placing on the wall. What about heat insulation? Solid blocks or bricks in Nigeria, when we are not in Antartica. You plan to have 2hp AC in each room or 8ft wide windows

Please kindly attend to this questions. You may have good reasons

Sorry o, do you mean its only through german floors that rats enter a building? Then welcome to reality! Rats and cockroaches run through wires and electric cables from adjascent buildings and can get into a house from the roof. They can live in the hollow which the top wood holding the roof sits on. They can also climb stairs.
I cannot use any hollow blocks for my works, period. They are much cheaper to buy or make, but as an experienced builder, it is a no no for me. I have about three buildings with hollow blocks, all bungalows, and trust me, I regret the misadventure.
I love this exchanges, we learn more from it, so keep it coming guys.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:38pm On Mar 03, 2011
Am Alone:

From Gravel same quality as Granite
To Non Hollowed Blocks
Fact that you are using it does not makes it the best
LOL!!!
Gudluck

The objective of this thread was to tell poeple what am doing and to track my costs, and not to allow people force me to repeat their mistakes. Using 4.7 milla to do a common bungalow is just, just preposterious! That money can do something better for me, just stay tuned to this thread. A lot of myths and misconceptions will be flushed down the toilet!

1 Like

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:47pm On Mar 03, 2011
Am Alone:

@ brabus

^^^ LOL!!!
Nice post grin grin grin grin

Non hollowed blocks are extinct!!!

I think I should upload pictures for effects, tomorrow, I will show us one of my houses where we killed a snake just two weeks ago in one of the cracked walls. The house was done using hollow blocks. I wish I will have time to drive up to that side.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:53pm On Mar 03, 2011
hahahhaha

Mr. Spyder

4.7Milla
Including land oo
I bought the land for 1.5m
lawyer and agent fee 150k
omonile 200k
aproval and architect 210k

Abeg minus am from that 4.7million u quote
and besides
my last quote was 4.4m

hahahaha
Moreover I am not complaining
I'm?
I just want people to know the truth
Soup wey sweet, na money kill am
And for ur information
My budget is **million for this bungalow
and man your harsh words no fit discourage moi!!!

What I want you to understand is that,
quality is quality
10million for a bungalow is never too much
especially when you have the money!!!!
lets praye for more money men!

U i go lekki last week sunday
them begin show me 2 plot of water
wey dey inside big bush
and them they call am 16million per plot
guy, my heart cut. To fill one plot inside that 1 alone
and do rafting foundation
pass *million. And guy
na foundation u still dey o!!!
So forget. The money i dey spend go build me duplex
wella. But this is what I want
and e no cost me much
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:58pm On Mar 03, 2011
@ brabus, do you think we cannot do condiut wiring in solid block buildings? Yes we can. We only need to cut through the blocks and lay our conduit pipes inside, same as water and utility pipes. We always cover it up with good plastering jobs.
I will show us pictures of these when we get to that stage.
For heat, it has been proven that hollow blocks heat up a building more. They contain hot air in the holes and can act as heat containers, transmitting heat into the building all evening, till  the late night air cools it up.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by olubuffett: 10:00pm On Mar 03, 2011
^^^^
Guys stay focus here you are not in competition, let people enjoy and get something from these forum.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by brabus(m): 10:01pm On Mar 03, 2011
@Spyder, congratulations on your 300th post on Nairaland.
Good to know that you agree this platform is to update and learn new things.

Problem Meet Solution:
Rats, roaches enter through wires and electric cables from the roof which neither hollow nor non-hollowed blocks can prevent.

My Solution:
After the foundation, the[b] german floor [/b]seals up everything (termite, snakes, etc) that may want to pass through the floor.

After the block work, a ring beam seal up the hollow blocks thus preventing unauthorized tenants through the roof.

Now, the next thing to do is to prevent the unauthorized tenants from gaining entry through the windows, doors, ceiling by fumigating the house.

Why do you need non-hollowed blocks, when:
1. You are still going to have beams for windows and doors.
2. You are having a german floor
3. You are going to have windows
4. PHCN has not guarantee regular power supply (HEAT)
5. You are going do some plumbing work

Is it because of the strength (which doesnt count as you still require beam and colums) or just because you want to prevent snakes, roaches and rats?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.