Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (408240 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 7:33pm On Feb 28, 2011
still more

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:35pm On Feb 28, 2011
@ spyder,

nice pics
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:37pm On Feb 28, 2011
@ spyder

Please can you post us the total cost
to this level?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by thosedays: 7:40pm On Feb 28, 2011
Award winning thread,  thanks to all the contributors most expecially the creator (Spyder).
I have been following it and trust me it has really been so educating and moltivating  wink.

@ omonuan with all due respect sir dont turn this thread into something else.
What Brabus have been posting is very clear and crystal .

First, he made it clear that the finished project is a prototype,

Secondly  
omonuan:

The insert brabus was talking about being a prototype is the one inserted into his fifth picture, he implied that these are the pictures of his project except the inserted picture of the finished project on the fifth picture but I will leave brabus to clarify the pictures.

However, this does not change the fact that the pictures are not of the same building as asserted by brabus whether it is the actual project or prototype. If the picture is a prototype-would they now be two separate prototypes that don't actually look alike? My rudimentary English tells me that prototype means "replica."  

The inconsistencies are glaring for everyone to see.  If Brabus' posted pictures are not the pictures of the project, then his accounting is misleading.

If the pictures are not the project pictures, why would brabus state that he would use slab to cover the well in front of the house as shown by the pictures? Enquiry mind wants to know

becouse of this
lastpage:

I should have seen this kind of thread, TEN/FIFTEEN YEARS AGO!
You know how it is now, you have money but not much motivation to do something you can call "sound investment" (Stocks blew-up in my face! grin )
Its so inspiring

@brabus: Is that a well/borehole in front of the building? (close to that spot that woman is sitting, in the unfinished house picture)

Where is that same well in the finished picture inserted? Just curios to know how you or others deal with such issue (concealment of the well, aesthetics, [b]safety when cars pass over it, if its is later buried underground, e.t.c). Mine is at the back of house and l still have safety concerns (maybe am just phobic about "wells"; maybe l fell inside one when l was small  grin)[/b]Again, l would like to ask everyone: Is it better to use buried/conduit electrical wiring OR surface/Structured Cabling for wires?
What are the merits and demerits of each?
I used the latter as l also made provisions for complete "Data and Network points" for all rooms.kitchen, e.t.c

I think it is something that is often overlooked in this age of "technology and modernization". Most people only cater for "electrical points" in private housing but l think (from my experience in the I.T industry) increasingly, data communication among household gadgets/people may make such necessary.
of course, "wireless communication/WIFI" make make it less needed as time goes by, also (but wired cable is by-far faster than wireless).
Also, once you have the points in place, you can easily "move an connect" equipments (phones, Laptops, Internet enable TV, Networked Printer for your household, Skyy Boxes, e.t.c) as you wish, without needing help. (I am putting the needs of my kids into consideration also! bloody rascals grin)

How about trouble-shooting when there is a problem with conduit wiring? Is it easy without breaking walls?

I hope you are cleared now,  and please i am very interested in seeing the pictures of the project you made mention of.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:33pm On Feb 28, 2011
Interesting,

People in diaspora has been ripped off big time.

It is unbelievable that what we did with Millions of naira, actually goes for some thousands,people are now doing it with Thousands of naira.

and still our expenses never finish.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:39pm On Feb 28, 2011
Am Alone:

@ spyder

Please can you post us the total cost
to this level?

I was waiting for them to cover the foundation with german floor before posting total foundation costs, but let me do my best to give an update as of today. Give me an hour please. Thanks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by brabus(m): 9:17pm On Feb 28, 2011
@Omonuan, I like dealing with specifics. You dont know me but I must tell you I dont compromise standards and quality. The pic is of the same building. If there are areas which seems unclear, be specific. The cast was for the building and not the fence.

@Am Alone, N4.5m to that stage is not too low.
Lets do it the layman way, assuming I am using the following:
1. 10,000 blocks which is too much for the project @N120 (Sagamu price) = N1.2m
2. 1,000 bags of cement (to the stage shown in the pic)@ N1,800 =N1.8m
3. Granite, Sand, Laterite = N.8
4. 3 tons of Iron @N120k = N360k
5. Wood = N200k
6. Labour charges (direct labour) =N500k

Is it overpriced or underpriced?

You said your foundation is 8 in high. How do you compare that with the one shown in the pic? And for the german floor, the pic can also speak for itself. In terms of size, the building is occupying 1 plot out of the 2 plots and it has just 5 rooms that should explain the magnitude.

There are few areas where your cost are way too high. Though some materials cost less than Lagos prices here. But I must confess, I love your project. Your builder and mason are very good.

@Soks, thanks for your contribution. Omonuan is just playing the devil's advocate.

@Thosedays, thanks alot.

For clarification sake, more pic will be update. Though if I am doing this for a client, it may cost a little higher than that but I am very reasonable with my costs.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:50pm On Feb 28, 2011
@ Brabus,

Thanks for ur kind words
I still don't want to believe I have spent too high
Because I put in my best and made sure I get the best price
and made I use the best material

Cost of construction actually varies from place too place.
in my short cal.

Granite ------ 7o ton ----270000
Workmanship ---- bricklayer ------ 280000
German floor ----- workmanship ------ 70000
blocks bought -------- 4800 blocks @ 135 ------- 648000(Lagos price)
12mm rod & ring ----- estimate----- 100,000
sharp sand (dredging sand)----- 9 tippers so far @ 24,000 per tipper ------- 216000
wood & kapenta extimate --------- estimate ----- 170000
cement so far ---- 250 bags @1800------------- 450,000

total extimate(including things i did not calculate): over 2.m

(bros i also paid omo-nile for everything thing. The collect money for German floor, to roofing, to fence, to foundation to even burglary
e plenty die!!!

maybe plus decking and the other tins will amount to 2.5m to make it like ur own
but bros i defy u. my house no cover 1 plot of land o
but ur down floor no big reach my own.(I stand to be corrected)

And if u are truthful
give us the exact amount that you used and not
'over'

This is the length and breath of my house
20m x 14m
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:52pm On Feb 28, 2011
check this link

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-356246.32.html

somebody build a 4bedroom bungalow
back as at 2006
for 15m
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Fhemmmy: 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2011
No other thread could be close to this great thread. . . . . Keep them coming guys, God bless you
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:58pm On Feb 28, 2011
@ Brabus,

sir, did you pay any omo-nile fees at all
furthermore

can you calculate how many tons of granite you have use
and the cost. Then cost of sand and laterite
and how it amount to 800k(if that is what you said is it)

3. Granite, Sand, Laterite = N.8(N800,000??)

Thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by lastpage: 10:00pm On Feb 28, 2011
@Thosedays:
I dont understand that your contribution at all!
You pasted "omonuan's" post along with mine?
As for me, l am not too concerned with specifics like he is pointing out.
I want to make these a "learning experience" as much as possible and l dont want to question anyones integrity at all, for me to do/get what  l want.

Back to brabus.
Can you still respond to some "observations" l made in my post below, PLEASE? Others can respond too, l want to learn one or two things from the contribution of others.
I should have seen this kind of thread, TEN/FIFTEEN YEARS AGO!
You know how it is now, you have money but not much motivation to do something you can call "sound investment" (Stocks blew-up in my face! Grin )
Its so inspiring

@brabus: Is that a well/borehole in front of the building? (close to that spot that woman is sitting, in the unfinished house picture)

Where is that same well in the finished picture inserted? Just curios to know how you or others deal with such issue (concealment of the well, aesthetics, safety when cars pass over it, if its is later buried underground, e.t.c). Mine is at the back of house and l still have safety concerns (maybe am just phobic about "wells"; maybe l fell inside one when l was small  Grin)Again, l would like to ask everyone: Is it better to use "buried/conduit" electrical wiring OR surface/Structured Cabling for wires?
What are the merits and demerits of each?
I used the latter as l also made provisions for complete "Data and Network points" for all rooms.kitchen, e.t.c

I think it is something that is often overlooked in this age of "technology and modernization". Most people only cater for "electrical points" in private housing but l think (from my experience in the I.T industry) increasingly, data communication among household gadgets/people may make such necessary.
of course, "wireless communication/WIFI" make make it less needed as time goes by, also (but wired cable is by-far faster than wireless).
Also, once you have the points in place, you can easily "move an connect" equipments (phones, Laptops, Internet enable TV, Networked Printer for your household, Skyy Boxes, e.t.c) as you wish, without needing help. (I am putting the needs of my kids into consideration also! bloody rascals Grin)

How about trouble-shooting when there is a problem with conduit wiring? Is it easy without breaking walls?

Thanks to all, especially "Spyider880", l know what it means to be supervising your own project and still have time to "take pictures and upload" as regularly as you're doing!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Davedavy: 10:01pm On Feb 28, 2011
Nice thread,loaded with information.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:11pm On Feb 28, 2011
@ Brabus,

This is where i get you red handed.

It is virtually impossible
to build to that height you have posted there
with just 500k as workmanship.
Yes its a lot of money. But when you
put it in construction. It just like nothing.

here in lagos
to set 5000 blocks will cost you nothing less than 200,000
let say you use 8000 blocks
man that will sure cost you nothing less than 320,000
lets say you paid 250,000 for 8000 block(which is kinda impossible in Lagos at least)
so where is the capenter's workmanship and the iron bender
and the german floor workmanship
and the decking workmanship
and the foundation(casting) workmanship
and the digging workmanship
and the canpenters that the the german floor workman ship

Furthermore
bros. wood 200k will never be enoff from what I am seeing here
No nails? no binding wires
no rings?

Please give us full details jor
I doubt 4.5m to this stage you have posted for us
So where do
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by DCGUY: 10:13pm On Feb 28, 2011
Brabus, nice work!!! But if I may ask, was your foundation raft or just blocks?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 28, 2011
This is the picture of the hostel.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:24pm On Feb 28, 2011
More pictures

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 28, 2011
More pictures will follow

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:31pm On Feb 28, 2011
@omonuan

Please you are building this hostel @ where
and on how many plots of land??

also, how much did you spend on woods alone
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 28, 2011
more pics

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 28, 2011
more

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 28, 2011
more pics

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by brabus(m): 10:42pm On Feb 28, 2011
Building size: 15.25 x 18.28m
Main Sitting room: 54m2

@Lastpage, Thosedays is just trying to straight things out.
Concerning your question, I'm happy to inform you that is my area of core competence. We call it Triple Play or Quad Play services (Voice, Video, Data, IPTV). It can only be found in modern designs and I've done a lot of them for residential estates, malls, hotels and office apartments in Lagos (Osborne, VGC, Lekki, Ikoyi, Ikeja etc).
I do conduit wiring in all my projects and I don't have issues with any of them. Conduit wiring provides seemless interconnectivity within the building without defacing the aesthetics of the building.

You dont need to troubleshoot if a professional handles the project. I can give you list of verifiable deployments I've handled recently.

@Am Alone, I'm just trying to educate those aspiring to become proud home owner and those living abroad who have been ripped off, am not trying to flex muscles. Let stay on course. I pay what need be and exercise my right where need be. I dont just pay because somebody can shout. Believe it or not, the house is still mine.

@DCGUY, the back is very close to small stream which I intend to turn into a fish pond. I use raft at the back and the rest is block.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by brabus(m): 10:47pm On Feb 28, 2011
@DCGUY

This is the pic showing the raft at the back and the block section.

@Am Alone

What happens to the N200k wood? Cant they be reused? Is 1 bag of nail too small for carpentary works? I'm not roofing yet o. What happens to the nail? Cant they be reused?
I told you am a builder myself so you expect me to be throwing money on bricklayer as if am a politician. They are better areas to spend the money (the finishes (stonewall, architectural finishes, glassblock, stainless steel rail, marble flooring, suspended ceiling, interlocking tiles etc).

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 28, 2011
This hostel is in Choba PH very close to the University of PH.  It is on two plots.  I have enough space left to add 24 (the one shown in picture is 30 flats) more self contained flats on a two story building plus parking space.  I don't have the cost of wood handy but I will check my records and get back to you later.  I have so far spent about 11.5 million. This cost includes land and everything and the second level is ongoing.

This hostel is located in an area known as "hostel alley." There are many hostels around mine!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:50pm On Feb 28, 2011
grin grin grin

@ Brabus,

Bros do not mislead ppl

U just said that ur house covered a full plot of land
where as it does not cover even up to half a full plot of land
and I am very sure that if you answer truthfully
my above questions. You will see that you are giving us
and understand estimate.

the down floor of my house is a bit bigger than your's
And i used 9inches block all through,

And one more thing
please answer correctly my above question

And i must confess that it is better to over-budget
than under-budget!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:55pm On Feb 28, 2011
omonuan:

This hostel is in Choba PH very close to the University of PH.  It is on two plots.  I have enough space left to add 24 (the one shown in picture is 30 flats) more self contained flats on a two story building plus parking space.  I don't have the cost of wood handy but I will check my records and get back to you later.  I have so far spent about 11.5 million. This cost includes land and everything and the second level is ongoing.

Many thanks
more grease to ur elbows
Amen!!!

11.5million
I believe that!
thought kinda high
but still okay
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 28, 2011
brabus,

I did not intend to question your integrity.  I guess the cost of building depends on many factors including location and size of building etc but you've done well at the cost you've shown though no kidding!

I still find it difficult to believe your cost-I think everyone has a right to believe what they like.  I agree with I Am Alone your costs seem under stated by a mile perhaps not intentionally.  I suspect you did not keep some records.  I used 180 tons of granite so far.  I spent N1.5m on granite from Akamkpa in Cross Rivers including tranportation. 20 tons were delivered three separate times each at N157K for 471K; 30 tons delivered four times @ 260K each for N1.04m  for a total of about 1.5million just for granite to get from foundation to first decking. I personally negotiated this price for granite.  There is no alternative in PH you have to buy granite 'cos there is no gravel!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 11:06pm On Feb 28, 2011
I am alone,

"Many thanks
more grease to your elbows
Amen!!!

11.5million
I believe that!
thought kinda high
but still okay"-I am alone

Land alone is 2.5million of the cost.  Now same size land in the area would cost 6million.  I bought mine with fence in 2006 for 2.5m.  The length of the house almost covered the 100ft space.  Just a little space is left in the front for gate opening
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by thosedays: 11:08pm On Feb 28, 2011
lastpage:

@Thosedays:
I dont understand that your contribution at all!
You pasted "omonuan's" post along with mine?
As for me, l am not too concerned with specifics like he is pointing out.
I want to make these a "learning experience" as much as possible and l dont want to question anyones integrity at all, for me to do/get what  l want.

Back to brabus.
Can you still respond to some "observations" l made in my post below, PLEASE? Others can respond too, l want to learn one or two things from the contribution of others.
Thanks to all, especially "Spyider880", l know what it means to be supervising your own project and still have time to "take pictures and upload as regularly as you're doing!

@ Lastpage, Read more carefully and be smart to notice the bolded parts of your post and omonuan's.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 11:10pm On Feb 28, 2011
omonuan:

I am alone,

"Many thanks
more grease to your elbows
Amen!!!

11.5million
I believe that!
thought kinda high
but still okay"-I am alone

Land alone is 2.5million of the cost. Now same size land in the area would cost 6million. I bought mine with fence in 2006 for 2.5m

Hmm, I c

@ Brabus,

Don't worry
I just figured it out!!!!! lol
Location mater!!!!
U bought 2plot of land 1million
what else can one expect
when it comes to cost of construction
Gud jobs u doing there!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for the encouragment "I AMLONE" good luck on your project too!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.