Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Great/famous People From Your State! - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Great/famous People From Your State! (71535 Views)

States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. / I Q of Famous People / Famous People From Nigeria By Adeola Aderounmu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 3:51pm On Feb 21, 2011
Ha ha ha ha.

Has dat hit u right in the heart. If it is not true, u not suppose to complain bitterly.

Afam what do u wanna do, for me to regret this, guess u know me not
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 3:52pm On Feb 21, 2011
afam4eva:

Pls don't go this route cos you'll regret it.

This one na another dimension oh, i can rightly say that one stands a higher chance of been used by rituals in Ogun state than any other state in Nigeria so biko let us not go there abeg.

The main idea of this thread is to respect and admire the great men produced by  different states of the country, after reading their achievements, it surely motivates someone.  But one state that has really not lived up to expectation is Oyo, I dont know why , despite its close proximity to Lagos,Ogun and even the lagoon through which the white man enter the country.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Obiagu1(m): 3:56pm On Feb 21, 2011
I hope that one day, all these looting holes these people exploit to get rich will be plugged.
A thief that dried up the country and created massive poverty will come out and tell me he is rich.

Talk of stolen wealth.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 4:00pm On Feb 21, 2011
[b]ORKIJA SHRINE IS ALSO FAMOUS IN ANAMBR[/b]A tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Obiagu1(m): 4:02pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^^

How old are you?
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2011
There are hundreds of Anambra military officers that started with Obasanjo, Diya and are no where near where Obj and Diya reached in their chosen profession, so don't downplay their achievements pls.

Cosmas Maduka and Adenuga in the same sentence? The only businessmen that should be mentioned in Adenuga's class are Dangote, Otedola, and maybe Jim Ovia.
Even Oba Otudeko(another Ogun son) is ahead of Coscharis and Innoson in entrepreneurship and wealth. Not to forget the Subomi Baloguns(FCMB owner, and father of merchant banking in Nigeria), another Ogun great who may not even enter Top 5 Ogun entrepreneurs.

That aside, you had to go back to Ojukwu Snr of the 40s to 60s to find a match for Adenuga in Anambra, guess what? At that time, Ogun had two representatives in the list of Nigeria's richest/most successful businessmen.

Friday, Sep. 17, 1965
Africa: The Nigerian Millionaires

Along with pride in status and problems of self-government, independence for the 31 nations of black Africa means the emergence of black businessmen. A few flourish on cottage industries, that early stage of every economy; some are the opportunistic agents of the colonial companies that formerly ruled them. Now, however, more of Africa's new businessmen are not only university-trained and experienced but surprisingly sophisticated in trade and finance. In Equatorial Africa, it is no longer unusual to see a $200,000 letter of credit emerging from the folds of a native robe. Nowhere is the new African businessman doing better than in Nigeria, black Africa's most populous and most prosperous nation. With a population of 55 million and an economy that grows 4% each year, the number of Nigerian millionaires is growing almost as fast as the country itself.

Peanuts & Petroleum. Even before Britain withdrew five years ago, Nigeria had a flourishing trade, exporting peanuts, cotton, palm kernels and cocoa and importing in exchange manufactured goods, foods and tobacco The first native millionaires made their money by competing with the white man for his trade. Among Nigeria's richest businessmen is Alhaji Sanusi Dantata 46, who buys and ships much of the rich Kano region's peanut crop. Dantata's agents last year bought 84,000 tons from small farmers, paid with traditional handfuls of coin counted out in dusty village squares. Sir Odumegwu Ojukwu 66, knighted shortly before independence, started off by importing dried fish for resale to the nonfishing Nigerians then decided to ship the fish inland himself instead of leaving the job to others. He also amassed the country's largest fleet of "mammy wagons," the trucks that carry Nigerians (including market women, which gives the trucks their name) from place to place.

In today's new Nigeria, businessmen are more likely to succeed by producing new goods or services. Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony, 59, known as "The Black Englishman" for his impeccable manners and imperturbable air, began by importing cuckoo clocks and marble statues. He now controls or owns part of ten companies, including a tanker fleet and a charter airline. Emmanuel Akwiwu, 43, earned law degrees at Cambridge; returning home just as Nigeria's oil boom began he organized a company that now has 70 vehicles, hauls oil rigs and supplies for British Petroleum Ltd. Chief Shafi Lawal Edu, 54, who is president of Lagos' chamber of commerce, has built a fleet of eight oil tankers. He owns a silver-blue Rolls-Royce, but usually drives around in a Mercedes—thinks it is less ostentatious.

No Need to Clash. Many Nigerian businessmen have taken advantage of the novel opportunities that inevitably accompany broadening prosperity. Chief Timothy Adeola Odutola, 63, a onetime farmer, developed a business to produce bicycle tires for the growing army of bikes, has done so well that he is adding a $1,700,000 plant, plans eventually to harvest his own rubber from his 5,000-acre plantation. A former office worker, Ade Tuyo, 63, cast around for a business that would have 'first priority in people's spending" opened a bakery that today has four shops and makes 115 products. The firm's unusual name—De Facto Works Ltd.—was shrewdly chosen by Tuyo to impress Nigerian bankers with the fact that he was seriously in business

Bayo Braithwaite, 36, one of Nigeria's younger businessmen, left a British insurance company to found a firm that would write life insurance on Nigerians which the British underwriters avoided. So successful has Braithwaite been that his African Alliance Insurance Co Ltd occupies a six-story Lagos home office and has 300 bush-beating agents. Braithwaite lives in an elegant house in suburban Ikoyi, where glass and concrete are deliberately intermixed with African folk art to prove that "the two need never clash."

So, it is, too, with Nigerian business. The Nigerians feel that they and their onetime white masters need never clash. "The time is coming," says Timothy Udutola, "when we will produce more than we can consume and we will have to look outside Nigeria for markets" Against that time, Nigeria is seeking joint ventures in Europe and the U.S., has also concluded negotiations for eventual associate membership in the European Common Market. Already it exports more to the Market than to its old master, Britain.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,842145,00.html

So in Ojukwu's generation, Ogun had two reps, in Adenuga's generation, bring a representative. Pls don't tell me Adenuga and Cosmas Maduka are in teh same class. Even Oba Otudeko(Honeywell group and highest shareholder in First Bank, and rated one of teh Top 10 richest Nigerians floors Maduka and Innoson, not to talk of The Bull himself.)

1 Like

Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2011
May be u should tell me yours first.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2011
He asked cos you're behaving like a kid. Is that you pic on your profile page?
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 4:14pm On Feb 21, 2011
@ Jarus - Dont mind them, comparing fly wit buffalo.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 4:15pm On Feb 21, 2011
@ Afam - Question?
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Obiagu1(m): 4:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
afam4eva:

He asked cos you're behaving like a kid. Is that you pic on your profile page?

I doubt she is the one. She can't be more than 12 yrs old, that's the capacity of her brain.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 4:24pm On Feb 21, 2011
Can see this RITUALS thing is really making u to boil from the intestines. tongue

@ Obiagu & Afam - I know Anambras lack manners, so I dont need to answer your silly questions.

I only mentioned, we are not about "Ritual Wealth". Why is it paining u so much, if it was not true.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Obiagu1(m): 4:31pm On Feb 21, 2011
I now understand why Yoruba women don't get to the top, they are all brainless.
A 37 yrs old woman talks like a 12 yrs old.  sad
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 4:38pm On Feb 21, 2011
@ - Obiagu - I already termed u mannerless. So I dont hav biz wit u.

"OMO OGUN ISE YA"
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Obiagu1(m): 4:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
kemisuga:

@ - Obiagu - I already termed u mannerless. So I dont hav biz wit u.

"OMO OGUN ISE YA"

Good, now go back to romance section, that's where your brain capacity fits in.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by dayokanu(m): 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2011
afam4eva:

I dey laugh. Those three presidents with the exception of Shonekan that was an interim president were all military presidents. You talk of wole Soyinka. For every Soyinka there's a chinua Achebe who wiels more influence than Soyinka. Forget about Nobel Prize. There's even Cyprian Ekwensi, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie et al.

For every Adenuga, there's a Cosmas Maduka(Coscharis), Annny Okonkwo(Reltel), and the owner of Innoson. Pls let's call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel and give repect to who it's due. Once again i take of my heart for the brainbox of Nigeria. The state that produced the first president(Nnamdi Azikiwe, First Senate president, First profesor of Mathematics, Africa's greatest scientist, Philip Emeagwali. Anambra has no equal.

How can anyone compare a Nobel winner to anyone? Soyinka won a nobel until Achebe can win a nobel he cant be compared to Soyinka.

How can anyone even compare Adenuga to Coscharis, Okonkwo or Innoson? Adenuga , Dangote Otedola are the only ones in their class.

Subomi Balogun(FCMB), Otudeko,

1 Like

Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 21, 2011
Abio.
I agree Zik is greater than Awolowo, but other than that I don't see any of their First 11 or Top 10 not being floored by somebody from Ogun. Obj floors Ojukwu Jnr, Abiola floors Ojukwu Snr, Soyinka floors Achebe, Adenuga doesn't even have a match(it'll be ridiculous to compare Coscharis et al with Mike),

I have asked them to bring forward their First 11  grin
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 5:00pm On Feb 21, 2011
"OMO OGUN ISE YA"

We still get the lead. "Numero uno"
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On Feb 21, 2011
For your dirty mind.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by steroid: 5:14pm On Feb 21, 2011
Omo Ogun, Mike Adenuga is not even close to Orji Uzor Kalu.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by AndreUweh(m): 5:26pm On Feb 21, 2011
Soyinka and Achebe are at par. Achebe's Things Fall Apart has sold more copies than all Soyinka's books combined. The nobel prize Soyinka won is commendable but Achebe is ready to humiliate the organisers of that award and they know it. So no great deal for Achebe.
 Late last year, I was at Hammersmith Apollo, London, to watch one of Soyinka's plays because I love them, but the theatre was very empty despite the wide advertisements. On the other hand Achebe's things Fall Apart 50th anniversary was celebrated worlwide. I am not from Anambra state nor Ogun state. So view my post from a neutral perspective.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by dayokanu(m): 5:33pm On Feb 21, 2011
Nobel is still the highest award for academic achievement until some other awards come. As at today Soyinka has the nobel.

Its like saying someone who won the Olympic gold is not better than you because many ppl enjoy your style of running which hasnt won you the Olympic medal

I am not from Anambra state nor Ogun state. So view my post from a neutral perspective.

1 Like

Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by nwabobo: 5:48pm On Feb 21, 2011
MIKE ADENUGA = IBB.

wait untill buhari takes over.

@Jarus, for you to compare Abiola to Ojukwu senior is just laughable. Abiola is no match to Sir Louis Ojukwu. It's on record that he owned much of Ikoyi before the Federal government confiscated most of his property after the civil war. His property in Ikoyi includes the present JAMB office. It took the magnanimity of IBB to return Villaska lodge to Ojukwu jnr as a place of residence.

Remember that on the queen's visit to nigeria, Sir Ojukwu's private limousine was used to convey the queen as the Goverbnment of nigeria could not afford such at the time grin
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by nwabobo: 5:53pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

There are hundreds of Anambra military officers that started with Obasanjo, Diya and are no where near where Obj and Diya reached in their chosen profession, so don't downplay their achievements pls.

Cosmas Maduka and Adenuga in the same sentence? The only businessmen that should be mentioned in Adenuga's class are Dangote, Otedola, and maybe Jim Ovia.
Even Oba Otudeko(another Ogun son) is ahead of Coscharis and Innoson in entrepreneurship and wealth. Not to forget the Subomi Baloguns(FCMB owner, and father of merchant banking in Nigeria), another Ogun great who may not even enter Top 5 Ogun entrepreneurs.

That aside, you had to go back to Ojukwu Snr of the 40s to 60s to find a match for Adenuga in Anambra, guess what? At that time, Ogun had two representatives in the list of Nigeria's richest/most successful businessmen.

So in Ojukwu's generation, Ogun had two reps, in Adenuga's generation, bring a representative. Pls don't tell me Adenuga and Cosmas Maduka are in teh same class. Even Oba Otudeko(Honeywell group and highest shareholder in First Bank, and rated one of teh Top 10 richest Nigerians floors Maduka and Innoson, not to talk of The Bull himself.)

You and I know the effect the July 1966 coup and the civil war had on Anambra officers. You also know that igbo officers mainly from Anambra were commanding most of the military formations across the country post 1966.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 21, 2011
Ojukwu Jnr, though stupendously rich, was not the richest man of his generation. Kano's Alhaji Dantata was. In Abiola's generation he was unanimously agreed to be the richest Nigerian(from 1980-1993), just as Dangote is regarded as the richest Nigerian now(even thougj some people will disagree that Adenuga is as rich as, if not richer than, Dangote, only that most of his companies are not quoted. But let's leave it at Dangote richest). At no time was an Anambra indigene regarded as richest Nigerian.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by nwabobo: 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

Ojukwu Jnr, though stupendously rich, was not the richest man of his generation. Kano's Alhaji Dantata was. In Abiola's generation he was unanimously agreed to be the richest Nigerian(from 1980-1993), just as Dangote is regarded as the richest Nigerian now(even thougj some people will disagree that Adenuga is as rich as, if not richer than, Dangote, only that most of his companies are not quoted. But let's leave it at Dangote richest). At no time was an Anambra indigene regarded as richest Nigerian.

The fact that Ojukwu snr was the richest Nigerian of his time is non debatable. the only assertion that can be debated is that he was the first African millionaire.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by nwabobo: 6:49pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

Odumegwu-Ojukwu was born on November 4, 1933 at Zungeru, Niger State, to Nigeria’s first millionaire businessman and pioneer President of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Sir. Louis Phillippe Odumegwu-Ojukwu.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2010122323183845

I don't know how the 1st millionaire in Nigeria was never the richest man in Nigeria. That could be a case of a son having a son before his father had one.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 21, 2011
I now agree he was the richest of his generation, that means Dantata was generation after him cos I'm sure Dantata was also reported in media as richest Nigerian of his genertation. Meanwhile Abiola was also the richest Nigerian of his generation.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by aljharem(m): 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

Abio.
I agree Zik is greater than Awolowo, but other than that I don't see any of their First 11 or Top 10 not being floored by somebody from Ogun. Obj floors Ojukwu Jnr, Abiola floors Ojukwu Snr, Soyinka floors Achebe, Adenuga doesn't even have a match(it'll be ridiculous to compare Coscharis et al with Mike),

I have asked them to bring forward their First 11  grin

can you shut your mouth jarus,.,., where did you get that from

ZIK that his burial ground in the east was destroyed

or is it the same ZIK that ran away without tipping others about the coup

can you stop your nonsense
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by nwabobo: 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

In our world where there are surfeit of wimps and sybarites as leaders, Ojukwu has dared to be different. He chose the part of service at the expense of great personal comfort, promising to reverse what many would easily accept with groveling obeisance. He refused to be ensconced in the confines of his father’s great wealth as many would easily do while playing possum to the poverty of their immediate environment. Rather he sees wealth as a means to an end and not merely for conservation or satisfying selfish needs. Declining his father’s offer of a position in Louis Ojukwu’s business empire, he opted to serve as an administrator in the Udi province from where he later enlisted in the army. Not many people know today that his father was the first Nigerian millionaire; the first black man to live in Ikoyi whose Roll Royce was used by the Queen of England during Nigeria’s independent celebration. That Ikemba Nnewi was the first Nigerian graduate to enroll in the army even as he rose to become its first quarter-master general. He did so as a recruit and the first to call saprika by its proper name, safety catch.

http://nigerian-newspaper.com/ojukwu.htm
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by fstranger3(m): 7:08pm On Feb 21, 2011
That article was written by an Igbo man, what do you expect?

Let a Yoruba man or an Hausa man write a rejoinder and see if they dont tout one of their own as the richest of whatever generation they choose to write about. This is lazy journalism. No supporting evidence. Ojukwu was rich, but definitely not the first  Nigerian millionaire
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by fstranger3(m): 7:11pm On Feb 21, 2011
Why dont you provide nuetral evidence, not just some Aba made sentimental statements

Provide a well researched, verifiable supporting evidence from renown newspapers like FT or Times or The Guardian, not some Ibo made blogs earnestly in need of cash.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Atiku Has Only Himself To Blame! / Destiny Etiko Meets With Governor Yahaya Bello In Kogi (Photo) / What Buhari Promised Nigerians Vs What He Has Delivered - Kenyans Blast Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.