Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Great/famous People From Your State! - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Great/famous People From Your State! (71537 Views)

States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. / I Q of Famous People / Famous People From Nigeria By Adeola Aderounmu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by igboboy1(m): 10:24am On Feb 20, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

STella Obasanjo is from Delta, and BTW, what makes her great?

No son she is from Edo state.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by igboboy1(m): 10:28am On Feb 20, 2011
Bongo_man:

Grace Alele-Williams (the first Nigerian woman to earn any doctorate – in this case, for mathematics. She later became the first woman appointed vice-chancellor of a Nigerian university.)

The great Ogboru (financially pioneered the Gideon Okar Coup)

David Dafiona (An accountant whose family listed in the Guinness book of records as having the largest number of accountants in one family )

PASTOR AYO ORITSEJAFOR (General Overseer Word of Life Bible Church)

Chris Okotie ( ex songster, Presidential Candidate and controversial pastor of The Household of God Church International Ministries)

Ben Okri (writer)

Mike Okri (Musician)

Orits Wiliki (Musician)

Wilson Oruma (Footballer)

Efe Sodje (footballer)

Professor Andrew Evwaraye (physicist)

Jay Jay Okocha

Ali baba (brought comedy profession into limelight)

Mariam Babangida (RIP)

Richard Mofe Damijo (Nollywood actor)

Stephen Keshi(former super eagles captain)

Sunday Oliseh(footballer)

Victor Ikpeba(footballer)

Keffee(musician. i don't like her though)

Faze(musician)

Late Alfred Ogbeyiwa Rewane(Politician NADECO Chieftain)

Fatia Balogun (Nollywood actress)

Gamaliel Offoritsenere Onosode( Technocrat and former presidential candidate)

Oviemo Ovadje (produced a manual emergency autologous blood transfusion device)

The Ibru family

Frank Kokori (labour leader)

Jereton Mariere (First Governor of the former Midwest State and first VC University of Lagos)

General Alexander Ogomudia(former chief of Army staff)

Blessing Okagbare (Athlete and gold medal winner)

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (former Finance Minister and Foreign Minister of Nigeria, The current Managing Director of World Bank)

Professor Augustine Onwuyali Esogbue(only African included in NASA Scientist)

Pat Utomi (Presidential Candidate and Founder of Lagos Business School)

John Pepper Clark (poet)

Zeal, Shiffi (of the styl plus crew)

et al. The list is endless.

damn delta definitely got the most impressive and well rounded list, No forget Our Chief Ibori in London oh grin, Clark?, Lynxxx? Lawyer Festus Keyamo?
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by akwaowoudo(m): 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2011
Akwa Ibom State:
Arch. Victor Attah _resource control warrior; Air Marshal Nsikak Eduok _former chief of air staff, member AFRC, PRC; Air Commodore Idongesit Nkanga _one time commander presidential air fleet; Donald Etiebiet _one time minister of petroleum; Chief Ufot Ekaete _former secretary of Nigeria's FG; Samuel Peter _former WBC champion, Ini Edo & Rita Dominic _of Nigerian movies; Barr. Ita Enang _a positive mouth-piece in Nigeria's national assembly; Dr. Barth Ebong _former CEO of Union Bank; Dr. Ndiokho _former MD UAC foods; Grp Capt. Ewang _millitary administrator of Rivers & Osun state; Amb. Sam Edem & Dr. Bassey Abia of NDDC; Amb. Etim Okpoyo; Barr. Iquo Inyang _ the only female member of National Assembly that smacked Alhaji Massari without apology; Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem _ a digital frontliner; Dr. Augustine Udo of Viola Clinics; Dr. Sunday Mbang _former national chairman of CAN; Mr. Larry Esin of PPA; Mr. Ray Ekpu of newswatch magazine; Mr. Vincent Enyeama of the Super eagles; Mr. Frank Edoho of who wants to be a millioniare; Rev. Mrs. Helen Ukpabio of Liberty films; Mandators of Lucky Dube's class; Countless Profs, doctors, engineers, the list so numerous _you can help me with the mentioning. Of blessed memory: i mention only few _Col. Phillip Effiong _ceased the Biafran-Nigerian war; Dr. Clement Isong of pioneer CBN; Mr. Etim Inyang of NPF; Sir. Udoma of the legal spheres; Cardinal Dominic Ekanem; etc.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by AndreUweh(m): 1:16pm On Feb 20, 2011
akwaowoudo:

Akwa Ibom State:
Arch. Victor Attah _resource control warrior; Air Marshal Nsikak Eduok _former chief of air staff, member AFRC, PRC; Air Commodore Idongesit Nkanga _one time commander presidential air fleet; Donald Etiebiet _one time minister of petroleum; Chief Ufot Ekaete _former secretary of Nigeria's FG; Samuel Peter _former WBC champion, Ini Edo & Rita Dominic _of Nigerian movies; Barr. Ita Enang _a positive mouth-piece in Nigeria's national assembly; Dr. Barth Ebong _former CEO of Union Bank; Dr. Ndiokho _former MD UAC foods; Grp Capt. Ewang _millitary administrator of Rivers & Osun state; Amb. Sam Edem & Dr. Bassey Abia of NDDC; Amb. Etim Okpoyo; Barr. Iquo Inyang _ the only female member of National Assembly that smacked Alhaji Massari without apology; Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem _ a digital frontliner; Dr. Augustine Udo of Viola Clinics; Dr. Sunday Mbang _former national chairman of CAN; Mr. Larry Esin of PPA; Mr. Ray Ekpu of newswatch magazine; Mr. Vincent Enyeama of the Super eagles; Mr. Frank Edoho of who wants to be a millioniare; Rev. Mrs. Helen Ukpabio of Liberty films; Mandators of Lucky Dube's class; Countless Profs, doctors, engineers, the list so numerous _you can help me with the mentioning. Of blessed memory: i mention only few _Col. Phillip Effiong _ceased the Biafran-Nigerian war; Dr. Clement Isong of pioneer CBN; Mr. Etim Inyang of NPF; Sir. Udoma of the legal spheres; Cardinal Dominic Ekanem; etc.

Rita Dominic is from Imo state
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by pisces20: 4:07pm On Feb 20, 2011
How come most artists from Imo state and most politicians from Anambra undecided
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by mamagee3(f): 10:24pm On Feb 20, 2011
Genevieve Nnaji
Rita Dominic.
Kanayo O Kanayo.

These celebrities are from my state. tongue
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by aljharem11(m): 10:26pm On Feb 20, 2011
mama-gee:

Genevieve Nnaji
Rita Dominic.
Kanayo O Kanayo.

and what have they added to nigeria apart from movies tongue

can you stop this movie actors and chose credible people ok wink
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by AndreUweh(m): 10:33pm On Feb 20, 2011
mama-gee:

Genevieve Nnaji
Rita Dominic.
Kanayo O Kanayo.

Add this to the list: Jim Iyke, Chika Anyanwu, Francis Duru, Eucharia Anunobi.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by aljharem11(m): 10:39pm On Feb 20, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Add this to the list: Jim Iyke, Chika Anyanwu, Francis Duru, Eucharia Anunobi.

gbammm wink

also, pete edoche etc cheesy
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by AndreUweh(m): 10:44pm On Feb 20, 2011
alj harem1:

gbammm wink

also, pete edoche etc cheesy
Pete is from either Anambra or Enugu state.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by aljharem11(m): 10:45pm On Feb 20, 2011
Andre Uweh:

but one thing is common; they are from Ndigbo state

because we are one and the same wink
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 10:45pm On Feb 20, 2011
Are these people great ?
I don't know.

Anyways, famous Edo people include

Tony Anenih
Tony Enahoro
Osaze Odemwingie
Gius Obaseki
Gabriel Igbinedion
Abel Guobadia
Victor Uwaifo
Patrick Obahiagbon
Raymond Dokpesi
Daisy Danjuma
Yakubu Aiyegbeni
Chris Oyakhilome
Lancelot Imasuen
Stella Obasanjo
Ifueko omoigui Okaru
Majek Fashek. . .and so many more.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 10:47pm On Feb 20, 2011
Also from Anambra

Professor Samuel Ejikeme Okoye, one of Africa’s top astrophysicists hails from Amawbia in Anambra State, was born on July 26, 1939.

Professor Okoye earned a B.Sc (First Class) in Physics from the University of London and a PhD in Astrophysics at Cambridge University. He was the first black African to obtain a doctorate in Radio Astronomy.

Professor Okoye was a fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Science as well as the Royal Astronomical Society of the United Kingdom. For five years, he served on the governing council of the Pugwash International Conferences on Science and World Affairs. In addition, he was a member of the New York Academy of Sciences, International Network of Engineers, Scientists for Global Responsibility, and the International Astronomical Union.

Professor Okoye was a consultant to the United Nations on the development of space science and technology in developing countries (1979-1986).

For many years, Professor Okoye lectured in physics and astronomy at the University of lbadan and the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) where he achieved the rank of full professor in 1976. At UNN, he also served at various times as Director of the Division of General Studies; Head of Department of Physics and Astronomy; Associate Dean and later Dean of the Faculty of Physical Sciences, and Dean of the School of Post Graduate Studies. In 1978, Professor acted as Vice Chancellor of UNN.

Professor Okoye’s numerous scientific papers and publications span the ionosphere physics, solar physics, and the theory of extragalactic radio sources and cosmology. He also authored a monograph, Viable and Affordable Policy Objectives for a Nigerian Space Programme. He co-edited two books, Basic Science Development in Nigeria: Problems and Prospects, and The World at the Crossroads: Towards a Sustainable, Equitable and Livable World.

Apart from Nigeria, Professor Okoye also lectured in the Netherlands, the US, and the UK. From 1990 to 1993, he served as a visiting professor/senior research fellow at the Institute of Astronomy, and Fellow Commoner at Churchill College at the University of Cambridge.

He was a member of Nigeria’s official delegation to the United Nations Conference on Peaceful Uses of Space in Vienna, 1981 as well as a member of a panel charged in 1984 with producing an integrated energy policy for Nigeria. From 1986-1988, he was the chairman of the Board of Governors of the Awka campus of the Anambra University of Science and technology (ASUTECH).
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 10:50pm On Feb 20, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Pete Edocie is from Nteje in Anambra State
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Felibaby(f): 1:07am On Feb 21, 2011
Add to OYO state

Chief Harry Akande

General Raji Rasaki

Alhaji Arisekola Alao

Dauda Akanmu Epo Akara

Saidi Balogun

Sikiru Ayinde Barrister

Kola Daisi

Lam Adesina
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by honeric01(m): 1:54am On Feb 21, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

STella Obasanjo is from Delta, and BTW, what makes her great?

Famous for being the only first lady that died through plastic surgery lipsrsealed
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by ahidjo: 5:24am On Feb 21, 2011
While some people from other states are listing people who have occupied political positions (every state has many of those) and those that are of no consequence (local champions), Anambra seems to be by far, the most accomplished, a state with many Firsts of international repute

I also remember that

Emmanuel and Patrick Okalla hail from that state as well as the incomparable soccer commentator, the late Ernest Okonkwo (Emeka Odikpo too). I simply give it to them.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by akwaowoudo(m): 5:41am On Feb 21, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Rita Dominic is from Imo state
Yes! _an error on my path.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Onlytruth(m): 6:27am On Feb 21, 2011
Nna mehn my statesmen in Anambra state intimidate me, and I am not easily intimidated! cool Chei! what a state! shocked shocked

, . and my set is still coming up to take the stage by storm. cool cool cool
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 6:58am On Feb 21, 2011
Also from Anambra state

The "Okigbo trio" brothers

Professor Bede N. Okigbo
is the renowned agronomist and retired Director of  the World Agricultural Institute in Japan, former Director of the United Nations Institute for Agricultural Research in Africa, Accra, Ghana, and the former Deputy Director-General of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Ibadan, Nigeria. He is widely regarded as Africa’s leading Agricultural scientist. Professor Okigbo was born on September 26, 1929, in Ojoto, Anambra State, into one of Nigeria’s extraordinarily gifted families. He was educated at Government College Umuahia, Washington State University (B.A.) and Cornell University, where he obtained an M. A. and a PhD in 1956 and 1959, respectively

Dr. Pius Nwabufo Okigbo
was an eminent Nigerian economist from Ojoto, Anambra State, he was the first Nigerian Economic Adviser to the Eastern Nigerian Government, the first Economic Adviser to the Federal Government of Nigeria and the first Nigerian Ambassador to the European Economic Community. He was educated in various schools in Nigeria and at the University of London, Oxford University, both in the United Kingdom and at Northwestern University in Illinois, USA, earning degrees in Law, History and Economics. He was also an academic, he gained academic acclaim in Nigeria when he published a book on the national accounting standard of Nigeria and he wrote landmark books such as Nigerian Public Finance (1965) and Essays in Public Philosophy of Development(1986).Dr. Okigbo was chairman of the panel on the reform of the CBN in 1994. His findings revealed some of the most mysterious ways by which our leaders rape this country. He put his fingers right on the button of the mismanagement that characterised the eight-year regime of General Ibrahim Babangida, According to Okigbo, the handling of the special projects accounts by the Babangida regime was a “gross abuse of public trust.”Babangida pooh-poohed the report. He was endowed with intellectual energy and articulate mind. Which he used effectively to outshine his peers. He was member, Board of Trustees, Nigerian International Biographical Centre since 1997, member, Committee for Technical Cooperation for Africa South of the Sahara (1960-65), Chairman, United Nations Committee of Fiscal Commission 1962, Member, United Nations Panel of Experts on the possibility of an African Development Bank in 1961.
He was a member Kenya Fiscal Commission in 1962 and the United Nations Committee of Experts on Development Planning, Projection and Policies between 1963-66. The late Okigbo was also a member of United Nations Panel of Experts on the Institute of Economic Development for Africa in 1962, Member, External Advisory Board, OECD Development Centre, Paris (1963-66) and Chairman, Committee on Commodities, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development 1964-66, and a member, South Commission (1987-90). Okigbo was also chairman, United Nations Panel of Experts on Reform of the Tax System in the Third World in 1989, Member Advisory Board, South Centre, Geneva, since 1995 and Vice Chairman, governing Council, Africa Institute for Policy Analysis, Cape town, South Africa.

Christopher Ifekandu Okigbo

great friend of Nobel Prize winner Wole Soyinka, was a product of what has come to be known as The Magical Years at Ibadan . He is today widely acknowledged as the outstanding postcolonial English-language African poet and one of the major modernist writers of the twentieth century.With the secession of Biafra, Okigbo immediately joined the new state's military as a volunteer, field-commissioned major. An accomplished soldier, he was killed in action during a major push by Nigerian troops against Nsukka, the university town where he found his voice as a poet, and which he vowed to defend with his life.Several of his unpublished papers are, however, known to have survived the war. Inherited by his daughter, Obiageli, who established the Christopher Okigbo Foundation in 2005 to perpetuate his legacy, the papers were catalogued in January 2006 by Chukwuma Azuonye, Professor of African Literature at the University of Massachusetts, Boston, who assisted the foundation in nominating them for the UNESCO Memory of the World Register
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On Feb 21, 2011
I raise my hat for Anambra. That state has the highest number of Influencial people in any state in Africa. There's no competition. Ogun takes second in Nigeria. They're the Anambra of the west.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 1:47pm On Feb 21, 2011
I dont know why Anambra is making too much mouth. tongue

We are talking about Great/Famous People. i.e People who has made major impact/contribution to the country, people their names are known globally, people who will be respected globally, people who takes the lead, people who are dead and their names still lingers on, people who has made Nigeria history, people who has made Nigeria proud, people who have the highest rank in the country (Number one citizen) etc.

In sports, we only have rewards for: Gold(first), Silver(second) & Bronze(third). For example: If Ghana have 1Gold, 25Silvers & 100Bronzes, Tunisia have 3Golds, 5Silvers & 5Bronze, Nigeria have 4Golds, 4Silvers, 10Bronzes. It is the highest number of Gold they count. So Nigeria takes the first position on the list.

People with the highest Gold number are still from Ogun, take it or leave it. Fi le be. cheesy
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2011
afam4eva:

I raise my hat for Anambra. That state has the highest number of Influencial people in any state in Africa. There's no competition. Ogun takes second in Nigeria. They're the Anambra of the west.

I am still not convinced. I believe Ogun comes first. I ahve asked the Anambra people to bring their First 11 or Top 10 and let's compare with Ogun's.

A state that has produced Three Presidents(obj military, obj civilian, Shonekan), one VP(Diya), one elected but denied president(Abiola), Awolowo(Top 5 most powerful political leader in Nigeria's history).

Nigeria's only Nobel Laurette(Soyinka), Mike Adenuga(Top 3 living businessman, entrepreneur, richest Nigerian). And somebody is comparing some Nollywood stars or some ordinary ministers.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by fstranger3(m): 1:57pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^^ Two VPs, what about Gen. Ogundipe?
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 2:35pm On Feb 21, 2011
@ Jarus - Dont mind these Anambras jare. Ori won ko si nibe grin
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Afam4eva(m): 3:23pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

I am still not convinced. I believe Ogun comes first. I ahve asked the Anambra people to bring their First 11 or Top 10 and let's compare with Ogun's.

A state that has produced Three Presidents(obj military, obj civilian, Shonekan), one VP(Diya), one elected but denied president(Abiola), Awolowo(Top 5 most powerful political leader in Nigeria's history).

Nigeria's only Nobel Laurette(Soyinka), Mike Adenuga(Top 3 living businessman, entrepreneur, richest Nigerian). And somebody is comparing some Nollywood stars or some ordinary ministers.

I dey laugh. Those three presidents with the exception of Shonekan that was an interim president were all military presidents. You talk of wole Soyinka. For every Soyinka there's a chinua Achebe who wiels more influence than Soyinka. Forget about Nobel Prize. There's even Cyprian Ekwensi, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie et al.

For every Adenuga, there's a Cosmas Maduka(Coscharis), Annny Okonkwo(Reltel), and the owner of Innoson. Pls let's call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel and give repect to who it's due. Once again i take of my heart for the brainbox of Nigeria. The state that produced the first president(Nnamdi Azikiwe, First Senate president, First profesor of Mathematics, Africa's greatest scientist, Philip Emeagwali. Anambra has no equal.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 3:31pm On Feb 21, 2011
Who is comparing fly with buffalo. angry

Who is coscharis, Reltel (All their money put togeda did not reach the third Richest in Nigeria) tongue tongue tongue
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

You dont have to be convinced, the facts speaks for its self. I respect Ogun state and the great people the state has produced really. But all these Gen. Diya or Gen. Ogundipe , they dont measure up at all. We are not talking about military appointment.  It its all about Military appointment then Kano or Kaduna perharps benue would take the lead. By the name its on record the Ojukwu you guys mock today was the first University graduate to be enlisted in the Nigeria, a graduate of Oxford for that matter. You talk of Mike Adenuga( i respect him no doubt) Ojukwu's father , Sir Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu, KBE, (1909-1966) was an extreamly successful Nigerian businessman from Nnewi. Ojukwu was the first and founding President of The Nigerian Stock Exchange as well as President of The African Continental Bank. He was also on the board of directors of some of Nigeria's most powerful and most prestigious companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria Limited. He was Africans first millionaire, infact the first Nigerian to buy a property in Ikoyi after the white men left, that house is still there till today. His wealth as at that time is far more than Adenuga, Otedola,Dangote (combined), lol.

So Amanbra first, Ogun second etc, but Ogun have produced people oh really
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Metalgoong(m): 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

Which one be OBJ miliitary, OBJ civilian grin grin . . . . .  jarus pls try harder. . . . How can you be comparing OBJ with these greats:Zik of Africa, Nwafor Orizu, Alex Ekwueme, Okadigbo etc.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Afam4eva(m): 3:35pm On Feb 21, 2011
cau:

You dont have to be convinced, the facts speaks for its self. I respect Ogun state and the great people the state has produced really. But all these Gen. Diya or Gen. Ogundipe , they dont measure up at all. We are not talking about military appointment.  It its all about Military appointment then Kano or Kaduna perharps benue would take the lead. By the name its on record the Ojukwu you guys mock today was the first University graduate to be enlisted in the Nigeria, a graduate of Oxford for that matter. You talk of Mike Adenuga( i respect him no doubt) Ojukwu's father , Sir Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu, KBE, (1909-1966) was an extreamly successful Nigerian businessman from Nnewi. Ojukwu was the first and founding President of The Nigerian Stock Exchange as well as President of The African Continental Bank. He was also on the board of directors of some of Nigeria's most powerful and most prestigious companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria Limited. He was Africans first millionaire, infact the first Nigerian to buy a property in Ikoyi after the white men left, that house is still there till today. His wealth as at that time is far more than Adenuga, Otedola,Dangote (combined), lol.

So Amanbra first, Ogun second etc, but Ogun have produced people oh really

Well said.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 3:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
We are not talking about RITUALS Wealth tongue
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Afam4eva(m): 3:46pm On Feb 21, 2011
kemisuga:

We are not talking about RITUALS Wealth tongue

Pls don't go this route cos you'll regret it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Atiku Has Only Himself To Blame! / Destiny Etiko Meets With Governor Yahaya Bello In Kogi (Photo) / What Buhari Promised Nigerians Vs What He Has Delivered - Kenyans Blast Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.