Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,986 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling (821 Views)

Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K / Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling / Another Nigerian Jailed For Sham Marriages In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by againstGEJ(m): 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2011
http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/nigerian-jailed-uk-cocaine-smuggling

A shopkeeper caught smuggling cocaine through Leeds Bradford Airport has been jailed for six years eight months.

Chukwuenmeka John, 37, arrived on a flight from Amsterdam on November 18 last year and when his extendable rucksack was x-rayed it showed organic matter in the lining.

Paul Mitchell, prosecuting, told Leeds Crown Court yesterday a spike inserted into it then tested positive for cocaine and a package was found inside the lining containing one and a half kilogrammes of white powder.

When that was analysed it was shown to contain 1.23 kilogrammes of pure cocaine which could have sold in diluted deals on the streets for up to £180,000.

Customs officers also seized £2,000 in cash, his payment for acting as a courier on the trip from Lagos.

John admitted being concerned in the importation of the class A drug.

Recorder Ian Harris told him: “Without people like you doing deliveries across borders the drugs trade would be severely disabled.”

Warner Falk, representing John, said he had a business in Nigeria trading electrical goods but had got into financial difficulties after borrowing money to buy stock which did not then sell.

He was given time to pay but could not do it and after receiving threats to his family agreed to act as a courier for £2,000 and a reduction in his debt.

He deeply regretted what he had done, particularly being separated from his wife who was expecting their third child. (Yorkshire Post)
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by justwise(m): 6:25pm On Feb 17, 2011
Thats good news for me, he will enjoy his stay in prison.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by rajiade: 6:33pm On Feb 17, 2011
There is no time a drug smuggler caught in d act wont a reason 4 doing it. Dose dt mean if u av a tangible reason u can commit any crime?
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by Osama10(m): 7:50pm On Feb 17, 2011
Would they ever learn?
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by Bossman(m): 4:47am On Feb 19, 2011
What a bunch of bull! They all give the same reason. I bet you if he did not get caught, he will do it again. Then they give a cock-and-bull story. They keep giving us a bad name. There are a whole lot of other ways for him to make up his so called debt. I certainly have no mercy for him. The less of people like him we have out there, the better it will be for the rest of us.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by justwise(m): 10:02am On Feb 19, 2011
Bossman:

What a bunch of bull! They all give the same reason. I bet you if he did not get caught, he will do it again. Then they give a cock-and-bull story. They keep giving us a bad name. There are a whole lot of other ways for him to make up his so called debt. I certainly have no mercy for him. The less of people like him we have out there, the better it will be for the rest of us.

Yes he will do it again and make decent hard working Nigerians look dull, he will boast how clever he is, how he played the white-man, walking around as a big-boy.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by jfad: 10:13am On Feb 22, 2011
justwise:

Thats good news for me, he will enjoy his stay in prison.

good news indeed.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by justwise(m): 10:17am On Feb 22, 2011
jfad:

good news indeed.

Yes its and i hope alot more will be caught and sent to prison for much longer time.
Re: Nigerian Jailed In The Uk For Cocaine Smuggling by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 22, 2011
grin grin@ last comment

(1) (Reply)

UK Business Visa- Any Good Chace / India Begins Space Mission To Mars. Do You Think It Is Worth The Effort? / Woman Caught When She Posts Stolen Dress Selfie On Instagram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.