Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,125 members, 7,818,376 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please (7715 Views)

Poll: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?

Yes: 37% (23 votes)
No: 62% (39 votes)
This poll has ended

I Need Your Vote Please....contestant 15 / Fuel Tanker Currently On Fire At Lekki Toll Gate... See Photos / Festac Suya-Spot 2nd Gate Burnt (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 19, 2011
Na wa for taking Panadol for another man's headache o. You choose not to spend 25k or its equivalent on a concert good for you, actually neither would I but if some other people have the means and inclination to do so I really don't understand the need for name calling like retards and such! By the way their are usually different levels of tickets starting from 5K and sometimes even lower so people can choose what they can afford.A lot of people seem to choose the V.I.P (25K) one cause of security. This is 9ja and I remember some years ago when a friend almost got violated at the back by some touts who you'll be suprised find their way to the back even @ 5K. Anyway to each his own,we all have different ways of spending our money
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by shotster50(m): 12:11am On Feb 20, 2011
The prices are quite high compared to what you get in other countries but I do not think the entertainers could care less.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by ndukwejoe(m): 1:19am On Feb 20, 2011
it is reasonable . calculate it sombody lik Dbanj will take 3 mill to pity you.   times it by fifteen artist. plus miscellenous. plus hall plus gingles per slot is 3 to 5k how many  gingles a day . for effective show you need at least three weeks of advert. calculate it. how much studio takes calculate it. can you see where those money go to , i think it is comeasurate. i rest my case. if i am wrong put me through
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 1:42am On Feb 20, 2011
ndukwejoe:

it is reasonable . calculate it sombody lik Dbanj will take 3 mill to pity you.   times it by fifteen artist. plus miscellenous. plus hall plus gingles per slot is 3 to 5k how many  gingles a day . for effective show you need at least three weeks of advert. calculate it. how much studio takes calculate it. can you see where those money go to , i think it is comeasurate. i rest my case. if i am wrong put me through
tatiana009:

Na wa for taking Panadol for another man's headache o. You choose not to spend 25k or its equivalent on a concert good for you, actually neither would I but if some other people have the means and inclination to do so I really don't understand the need for name calling like retards and such! By the way their are usually different levels of tickets starting from 5K and sometimes even lower so people can choose what they can afford.A lot of people seem to choose the V.I.P (25K) one cause of security. This is 9ja and I remember some years ago when a friend almost got violated at the back by some touts who you'll be suprised find their way to the back even @ 5K. Anyway to each his own,we all have different ways of spending our money
what kinda crazy responses are these ? do you nigerians in nigeria ever sit down and wonder how you make less than people in the western world but pay more than them for almost everything in life ? i think you guys bask in the ambiance of the 'mugu' role
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 2:28am On Feb 20, 2011
i may be wrong, but i'm inclined to think the cost may also be about the fact that cheap gate fees mean area boys and the likes.

which becomes a security issue.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Ndipe(m): 2:41am On Feb 20, 2011
No be by force to attend these concerts. If you cant afford it, then boycott it. There are others who wouldnt mind paying these sums of money to watch this artistes live.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by touchmeder: 9:50am On Feb 20, 2011
I somehow feel sorry for our nigerian artists sha with piracy they hardly make anything from their cd
when you even buy the cd's you are not sure you are getting the real one anyone could have dubbed it and printed the paper back
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 10:18am On Feb 20, 2011
Ndipe:

No be by force to attend these concerts. If you cant afford it, then boycott it. There are others who wouldnt mind paying these sums of money to watch this artistes live.
what an elitist attitude. i hope you never get to be in position of authority with this kind of attitude. its becoming clear how the elites on top totally disregard the humanity of the poor when i read comments like these
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Mobinga: 10:31am On Feb 20, 2011
@Buzugee Its not elitist. I don't attend those shows because they are expensive. If you don't have money to attend don't attend.

Just because you are poor/broke doesn't mean you should campaign for the reduction of prices of everything.

If you've got the money attend. If not shut up and relax.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by roymary: 10:57am On Feb 20, 2011
@OP

You are pissed, lol
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by roymary: 10:59am On Feb 20, 2011
buzugee:

what kinda crazy responses are these ? do you nigerians in nigeria ever sit down and wonder how you make less than people in the western world but pay more than them for almost everything in life ? i think you guys bask in the ambiance of the 'mugu' role

Oh yeah, the houses are unfurnished nor adequately maintained but damn, you pay so much in 9ja.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by pisces20: 12:59pm On Feb 20, 2011
@topic: the fees are okay. . . they don't want 'agberos' flooding all over the place grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by cvibe: 3:10pm On Feb 20, 2011
Choices
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by McCoy91(m): 5:34pm On Feb 20, 2011
buzugee:

what an elitist attitude. i hope you never get to be in position of authority with this kind of attitude. its becoming clear how the elites on top totally disregard the humanity of the poor when i read comments like these
Thats a very funny thing to say. There has always and will always be a divide between the rich, not so rich and the poor. All over the world. You can't expect poor people to he able to attend the Opera or big expensive concerts in other parts of the world. Thats just how it is.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 6:22pm On Feb 20, 2011
McCoy91:

Thats a very funny thing to say. There has always and will always be a divide between the rich, not so rich and the poor. All over the world. You can't expect poor people to he able to attend the Opera or big expensive concerts in other parts of the world. Thats just how it is.
actually in a civilized world, a world where the humanity of EVERYONE is valued, there are regulatory bodies in place keeping you from ripping off the populace. almost everyone in civilized countries can afford any concerts. i know people who go see their special american artists in london and they were on GIRO (GOVT ASSISTANCE). they got the 15 pound ticket money out of their unemployment benefit, so as you can see ? even the most distressed citizens of civilized countries can afford to see any concerts they feel like watching because the society is set up that way. you fools talking about the rich can afford it so to hell with the poor are the same fools falling all over yourselves to rush to the european and american embassies so you can get the hell out of the country. you obviously do not like the inhumane distribution of wealth and artificial creation of social strata through pricing. so quit with the tryna sound all 'matter of factly' about the whole thing.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 6:24pm On Feb 20, 2011
Mobinga:

@Buzugee Its not elitist. I don't attend those shows because they are expensive. If you don't have money to attend don't attend.

Just because you are poor/broke doesn't mean you should campaign for the reduction of prices of everything.

If you've got the money attend. If not shut up and relax.
actually in a civilized world, a world where the humanity of EVERYONE is valued, there are regulatory bodies in place keeping you from ripping off the populace. almost everyone in civilized countries can afford any concerts. i know people who go see their special american artists in london and they were on GIRO (GOVT ASSISTANCE). they got the 15 pound ticket money out of their unemployment benefit, so as you can see ? even the most distressed citizens of civilized countries can afford to see any concerts they feel like watching because the society is set up that way. you fools talking about the rich can afford it so to hell with the poor are the same fools falling all over yourselves to rush to the european and american embassies so you can get the hell out of the country. you obviously do not like the inhumane distribution of wealth and artificial creation of social strata through pricing. so quit with the tryna sound all 'matter of factly' about the whole thing.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 6:30pm On Feb 20, 2011
roymary:

Oh yeah, the houses are unfurnished nor adequately maintained but damn, you pay so much in 9ja.
they pay so much. if i was in naija i wouldnt even bother myself to be honest with ya. check out the prices of cars, clothes, phone bills, internet bills, etc in nigeria ? it is like almost 10 times the amount that people pay in the west. this is because we do not have regulatory bodies that will keep businesses from ripping people off. in america recently barrack put up so many regulatory bodies to keep businesses from ripping people off because believe it or not, the business man is only after his pound of flesh. he does not care about you. he is tryna get everything you have. when folks start to realize this in naija ? only then will they start making wise choices.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 6:56pm On Feb 20, 2011
$400 to listen to an artist for 2 hours geezzzz i cant believe i am the only one who sees this as an outrage.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by aloyemeka1: 7:02pm On Feb 20, 2011
buzugee:

$400 to listen to an artist for 2 hours geezzzz i cant believe i am the only one who sees this as an outrage.

Effizy; you no wan impress your girl?
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 7:13pm On Feb 20, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Effizy; you no wan impress your girl?
if my girl alllows me to impress her with $400 then she is not the right woman for me. she does not have my best interest at heart. i am not in the business of impressing women.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by kushe: 7:23pm On Feb 20, 2011
@buzugee and aloy emeka

i appreciate that you mention the fact that you live in england or something like it,however like most people who traverse foreign lands,u seem to have a chronic lack of understanding of the wealth culture or how it is propagated.

money is only a means of exchange people with the real commodity being traded called something like VALUE.poor people think and talk just the way you guys are ranting and even if they bound you and cast you into the royal mints,you probably still would not know how money smelt.

why talk about jay z,beyonce and usher like they were the most expensive concert tickets on the block.have you ever been to an elton john concert,or a katie melua,maybe you wanna see billy joel or bruce springsteen when next they are in town.need i mention more U2,robbie williams,susan boyle,toby keith,bon jovi etc.u think say naa change u go carry go see every concert,ol boys abeg make una arrange una side

i hav mentioned a few names that will make nigerians be like wtf?yeah the f, k is that people attach sh.t loads of value to these folks and see how much their sold out tickets are resold on the black market.instead of elevating our celebs to global reckoning,we debase dem by questioning their right to be what we have made them.a celeb like tuface or dbanj is a brand and when you attend their concert,u are not paying for the pyrotechs,sound checks or the venue,rather you are paying for the brand to entertain you.you should get value for your money but they should get the accolades they deserve.

if you feel you are important,go stand in the middle of victoria or london bridge stations and see how many ppl go look ur side and watch either tuface or dbanj do the same.

to be a poor man,just think like one.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 7:42pm On Feb 20, 2011
kushe:

@buzugee and aloy emeka

i appreciate that you mention the fact that you live in england or something like it,however like most people who traverse foreign lands,u seem to have a chronic lack of understanding of the wealth culture or how it is propagated.

money is only a means of exchange people with the real commodity being traded called something like VALUE.poor people think and talk just the way you guys are ranting and even if they bound you and cast you into the royal mints,you probably still would not know how money smelt.

why talk about jay z,beyonce and usher like they were the most expensive concert tickets on the block.have you ever been to an elton john concert,or a katie melua,maybe you wanna see billy joel or bruce springsteen when next they are in town.need i mention more U2,robbie williams,susan boyle,toby keith,bon jovi etc.u think say naa change u go carry go see every concert,ol boys abeg make una arrange una side

i hav mentioned a few names that will make nigerians be like wtf?yeah the f, k is that people attach sh.t loads of value to these folks and see how much their sold out tickets are resold on the black market.instead of elevating our celebs to global reckoning,we debase dem by questioning their right to be what we have made them.a celeb like tuface or dbanj is a brand and when you attend their concert,u are not paying for the pyrotechs,sound checks or the venue,rather you are paying for the brand to entertain you.you should get value for your money but they should get the accolades they deserve.

if you feel you are important,go stand in the middle of victoria or london bridge stations and see how many ppl go look your side and watch either tuface or dbanj do the same.

to be a poor man,just think like one.
preciate your post but your lack of understanding gobsmacks me. you are comparing 'niche markets' to 'popular markets'. those musicians you mentioned only service a niche clientele. elton john, susan boyle, bon jovi, bruce springsteen, billy joel etc etc etc. these are niche markets. these people have their own following, a subculture if you will. a subculture of mostly white, middle aged, upper middle class folk. as such they can charge what they want. this is understandable.
tuface and any other naija musician for that matter operate in impoverished nations and are part of the popular culture of those nations. they are embraced by the youth. youths cannot afford to pay those kinda prices without committing some kinda crime to come up with the money. this is totally irresponsible of the artists to gouge youths of their money and savings
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 7:58pm On Feb 20, 2011
and even with people like elton john, david bowie, bon jovi etc being niche markets in rich countries whose clientele are white middle aged upper middle class folk, they still dont charge $400. they charge what people in the west consider extremely astronomic at, listen to this, $100. charging $100 for a concert in the west is considered extremely high. now imagine $400 . i know this because i have been privy to U2 and david bowie concerts being held right next to my house at wrigley field and i remember scalpers selling tickets at an astronomic, guess what ? $150. yes, the scalpers thought they were ripping folk off by charging them $150. imagine $400 ?
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 20, 2011
You guys seem to be forgeting something, Nigerian concerts hardly feature just 1 artiste. Usually if you attend a D'banj concert you get the whole Mohits crew so when you think about it the 5K you pay for regular tickets actually affords you the oppourtunity to see the whole Mohits live. 25K is for V.I.P and that's a luxury so the students don't need to buy that one
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 8:21pm On Feb 20, 2011
tatiana009:

You guys seem to be forgeting something, Nigerian concerts hardly feature just 1 artist. Usually if you attend a D'banj concert you get the whole Mohits crew so when you think about it the 5K you pay for regular tickets actually affords you the oppourtunity to see the whole Mohits live. 25K is for V.I.P and that's a luxury so the students don't need to buy that one
so if it features a host of artists, one artist has a time slot of like 30 minutes or less right ? you know you are really not helping your case here right ? ok let me kick some ballistics here.
in america, the hottest acts get paid $40,000 per concert. does not matter if it is jay z or dmx. standard fee of $40,000 per concert. this is why they do tours. if you do 50 dates in a year you have made yourself 2 million dollars. this is how they eat.

ok in nigeria lets assume they charge 5k. this is like 50 dollars. then you have at least 3 thousand people in the crowd right ? cuz i know naijas use big venues. so this is 3000 multiplied by 50 dollars. this is $15 million dollars shocked serious gouging

but hey i am lil ol me. make una do una self, me i will do me.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 20, 2011
Some of the concerts are on for 4-6hrs with them singing seperately and together on some songs. 5K is actually about $33. So $33 to listen to about 4 artistes singing an average of 1hr each is actually reasonable if you ask me especially considering that Nigerian artistes make almost next to nothing from album sales due to piracy
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 20, 2011
By the way, those calculations are making me laugh cos it sounds like you think all the money goes to the artistes you do know they will also get a fixed fee like Jay-Z and the rest while the organiser takes his profit after covering his expenses
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 8:50pm On Feb 20, 2011
tatiana009:

By the way, those calculations are making me laugh cos it sounds like you think all the money goes to the artistes you do know they will also get a fixed fee like Jay-Z and the rest while the organiser takes his profit after covering his expenses
well lets just say i aint paying more than 500 naira for any artist from now on in henceforth grin only artist i can spend 20 dollars on. this is like 2000 naira will be dr dre. only nigerian artist i will consider paying 2000 for is some dude named ikechukwu. love his joint 'my name is ikechukwu no be scatta scatta na jaga jaga grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 20, 2011
Lol, oh well you certainly won't be attending any 9ja concerts except maybe those beach carnivals where "Awon boys" will "obtain" you and you can be certain that that the only thing you'll be going home in will be your briefs, lmao
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 9:27pm On Feb 20, 2011
tatiana009:

Lol, oh well you certainly won't be attending any 9ja concerts except maybe those beach carnivals where "Awon boys" will "obtain" you and you can be certain that that the only thing you'll be going home in will be your briefs, lmao
grin grin grin grin i guess no concerts for me then. i will redirect that concert money towards my peppersoup eating activities
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by biolabee(m): 9:27pm On Feb 20, 2011
im  paying 45 pounds(11500) to see Usher at the o2 arena
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by biolabee(m): 9:41pm On Feb 20, 2011
buzugee im with u man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let's Pray For Our Leaders And Not Insult Them In 2013 / Who Is Diddy? What Do U Think Of Him? Who Doesnt Know Diddy? / Six Reasons Why You Must Be Time Conscious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.