Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,994 members, 7,848,999 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 01:14 PM

Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy (22372 Views)

How Successive Governments Received Abacha's Loot / Tinubu: I Will Remove Fuel Subsidy, Your Protests Won’t Stop Me / Past Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy ― Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by RIVERS1stson: 7:47am On Sep 07, 2020
Ok
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Akumoney(m): 7:48am On Sep 07, 2020
imagine

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Realdollars: 7:49am On Sep 07, 2020
The worshipers must starve and remain impoverished why the gods get robust and fresh. This must happen in Nigeria, there's no other way.
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by daddytime(m): 7:50am On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:

Politicians use the anger of the people to get elected, once in office, they pretend they didn't share the anger( it's a reason why some of us cynically refuse to back any party or politician)

Also, to some extent, subsidy is a scam and a waste. Yet the fear of allowing fuel prices rise as high as 300 naira per liter has prevented governments past and present from removing it.

That includes your party PDP.

Subsidy is , as I have said elsewhere, one of the points where the elite and the poor find common ground. The elite collect huge illicit profits and the poor get fuel cheaper than neighborhood African countries.( Even now, fuel is cheaper in Nigeria than in other African countries)

And in your wisdom you have concluded I am partisan and worst of all PDP.

How dumb.
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Fourwinds: 7:54am On Sep 07, 2020
israelmao:
The previous government didn't lack courage it was a government that listened to people but not the one that rules with iron fist.When the subsidy was removed during GEJ even in spite of town hall meetings organized to enlighten the people about its benefits Nigerians trooped to the streets to protest against it.At the early stage of this government the removal of subsidy was proposed and the hypocrites were singing in support of it,.When the subsidy was finally removed it was covered up in what they called UNDER-RECOVERY.Why removing what has been said to have been removed again?Now Can we say this government is sincere?
anybody who believe what thi_ present government is say is having a dream... I don't even bother to believe what their military is doing with Boko Haram and bandits or what have you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by kutashi: 8:01am On Sep 07, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
Too bad embarassed

instead of nigerians to rise and do the right thing we keep praying for miracles that never come to pass undecided

Why can't you rise alone grin and let us hear word!
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by CodeTemplar: 8:02am On Sep 07, 2020
....and it took the bold administration a whole five years and second wave of inflation and recession to act boldly by technically removing it.
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by zinodizt: 8:06am On Sep 07, 2020
After Buhari himself was crying fowl when Jonathan removed subsidy then
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Angelfrost(m): 8:09am On Sep 07, 2020
I like how these people keep talking about doing things for 'the good of the people'!

Maybe when I 'grow up', I will understand The Good, and who The People truly are!!!

Till then, lemme keep observing gullible suffering Nigerians and their wealthy clueless leaders! grin
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by surgical: 8:11am On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:

Yes it is. So long as PPRA is setting the price it is there.

Though, personally,speaking as someone who has believed that subsidy should have been gone since 2011, when my mind got changed on the issue, it is good if fuel goes to 200 and above

Reason being dangote refinery. Dangote needs to pay the loans he took to build that refinery plus pay its maintenance costs. I doubt he can do that selling fuel at 97 per liter, when it may cost him 140 or more to produce it.

At least, eventually we would have more refineries come on stream, and fuel prices will drop
like cement price,like sugar prices or flour prices,dangote is a dangerous monopolist,he will choke Nigerians with cut throat prices,that is his trademark,nigeria salvation does not lie in his hands
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Reference(m): 8:12am On Sep 07, 2020
Fourwinds:
you keep saying politicians use anger of the people from thread to thread.. You have never suggested how the people should go about doing the right thing.. Why then are you always coming up with this phrase

Very simple. DETAILS. Just as you do when you take your faulty car for repairs. You don't listen to stories, you listen to facts and note the depth of detail. You don't accept MAYBE's which is the preserve of INCOMPETENCE, but a person who can perform will sell you A PLAN, with metrics, indices and a STRATEGY on how to move from point A to B.

What we have Nigerians do is the equivalent of appointing traditional medical practitioners to handle their serious cases because they advertise incessantly while the surgeons who are learned and competent cannot advertise by law. Nigerians are not informed enough about the choices they should make for better governance. Sentiment rules the day.

I could remember CLEARLY in the run up to the 2015 elections the poignant statements of both Vice Presidential candidates. That of the APC, Mr. Osibanjo was still harping on the anti corruption stance as the main driver of the administration's quest for good governance meaning that if you blocked the stealing of government funds Nigeria"s economy should do well, while the PDP's made this statement: 'that you do not leave your shop and go chasing after thieves who stole from it' meaning that productivity is key and by striving to keep your country open for business you will end up overcoming losses.

So the choices were clear between the two strategies. What Nigerians should have done was to ask for details on how both strategies would work for them and for the country but unfortunately sentiment prevailed and here we are today.

Personally I have said often that without restructuring Nigeria will remain a basket case and I haven't been proven wrong in 25 years but we can always try and showcase the possibilities of development by doing what is right which in democracy and at the polls is empowering those who are cerebral and are apt for details. But I guess this just too high a hurdlke for most Nigerians to surmount so here we are. Sentiment prevails.

1 Like

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Noregretz07: 8:13am On Sep 07, 2020
It is well
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by 35824L: 8:21am On Sep 07, 2020
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Guruindahouse(m): 8:24am On Sep 07, 2020
i needed to double check if that was Osinbajo standing beside Tinubu. The star boy don change o.
jasmine1600:
Nigerians, the only way to have steady light & fuel is to remove Jonathan. And i promise u in 6 months Nigeria will be swimming in crude oil & fuel. Buhari will pay you all 5k monthly for been jobless, our youth will be gainfully employed with our 3M jobs a year
-Tinubu in 2014
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by SmartPolician: 8:26am On Sep 07, 2020
RAGEofFIRE:
undecided

This clown is just another clueless sycophant. What are the positives from this thoughtless act of the President? History will not be kind to Garba Shehu and anybody that supports this government.......

Who history help?

Who still studies that nonsense in school?

Just get used to Buhari because it's going to be a long bumpy ride to 2023
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by rtmjohn: 8:26am On Sep 07, 2020
you can lead too
XXXXTENTACION:
Too bad embarassed

instead of nigerians to rise and do the right thing we keep praying for miracles that never come to pass undecided
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by icedbreez(m): 8:28am On Sep 07, 2020
Thankgod2020:
Stop the blame game.. lets just hope this projects work out fine..

How has the extra fund from the increase in VAT worked out?

#Change.
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by GoodGovernance: 8:30am On Sep 07, 2020
Omooba77:
A man that all his life lied there was no subsidy.
Garba Shehu always issued statement to add pepper to our wounds.

You are the big lair.If you took time to read the Gaba Shehu's article you would have known the truth.

Buhari never said there was no subsidy,he said the fuel subsidy was a scam!

And indeed the fuel subsidy under GEJ was a big scam to Nigeria.

Your comment had 52likes. I am not surprised at all. Nairaland is full of morons.

“To stop the mismanagement of taxpayer money, eliminate corruption associated with subsidies on petroleum products, power, fertilizer among others, the administration took the decision to implement long-delayed reforms, withdraw and allow the market to determine their prices.''

1 Like

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Wettoid123: 8:32am On Sep 07, 2020
Why are u people treating the masses this way but the same govt cried out aloud when Jonathan wanted to remove fuel subsidy but now they are saying previous govt lack the courage to do it I cry for my beloved country!

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Wettoid123: 8:36am On Sep 07, 2020
If I can just turn back the hands of time to the era of Jonathan when I was buying fuel for #87, I was buying a bag of rice for #8500, Jonathan said we are going to remember him, am weeping!
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Reference(m): 8:38am On Sep 07, 2020
CodeTemplar:
....and it took the bold administration a whole five years and second wave of inflation and recession to act boldly by technically removing it.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but the internet is a great diary of events. Once the APC got into power in 2015 I did say then within weeks of the new administration that they should visit the subsidy issue and withdraw it in piecemeal percentage terms over the course of its four year term. Then political capital was at an all time high and Nigerians could psychologically bear whatever hardship they simply cannot today.

However, the truth is that the now infamous "corruption" rhetoric turned propaganda turned holy grail prevented both government and the blinded public from noticing and accepting any other narrative as to what our problems as a country could be and the solutions.

I did, and continue to emphasise a faulty structure misgoverning ALL things.
I did, and continue to emphasise a terrible lack of productivity as an anchor to our economy, and so on. Corruption does not even appear on my radar because it was no more than a headache and headaches though paralysing are not infirmities or diseases, but symptoms of underlying conditions ranging anywhere from illiteracy and incompetence to prejudice and nepotism. Sort these out and corruption ends.

So they had all the opportunity to make these hard but important choices and will have been reaping the benefits if we were not all blind sighted by faulty politicking. The three key important economic decisions the next goverment should make, one again is to fully deregulate the petroleum sector, fully deregulate the power sector and fully deregulate the currency exchange market. Anything short of that and pain will continue for the next century or until we are ready, period.

If a yam farmer does not appreciate the cost of the yams he and his family consumes, he will certainly borrow seedlings every season. He should understand that he may not have yams to eat everyday and so should develop a taste for pap as well. It is not suffering, it is wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by CodeTemplar: 8:42am On Sep 07, 2020
Reference:

Hindsight is always 20/20 but the internet is a great diary of events. Once the APC got into power in 2015 I did say then within weeks of the new administration that they should visit the subsidy issue and withdraw it in piecemeal percentage terms over the course of its four year term. Then political capital was at an all time high and Nigerians could psychologically bear whatever hardship they simply cannot today.

However, the truth is that the now infamous "corruption" rhetoric turned propaganda turned holy grail prevented both government and the blinded public from noticing and accepting any other narrative as to what our problems as a country could be and the solutions.

I did, and continue to emphasise a faulty structure misgiverning ALL things.
I did, and continue to emphasise a terrible lack of productivity as an anchor to our economy, and so on. Corruption does not even appear on my radar because it was no more than a headache and headaches though paralysing are not infirmities or diseases, but symptoms of underlying conditions ranging anywhere from illiteracy and incompetence to prejudice and nepotism. Sort these out and corruption ends.

So they had all the opportunity to make these hard but important choices and will have been reaping the benefits if we were not all blind sighted by faulty politicking. The three key important economic decisions the next goverment should make, one again is to fully deregulate the petroleum sector, fully deregulate the power sector and fully deregulate the currency exchange market. Anything short of that and pain will continue for the next century or until we are ready, period.
What else can I add. The problems can be debated and denied by the elite but its symptoms and effect is undeniable from the other end (masses).

1 Like

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by Doyin2(m): 8:44am On Sep 07, 2020
GoodGovernance:

You are the big lair.If you took time to read the Gaba Shehu's article you would have known the truth.

Buhari never said there was no subsidy,he said the fuel subsidy was a scam!

And indeed the fuel subsidy under GEJ was a big scam to Nigeria.

Your comment had 52likes. I am not surprised at all. Nairaland is full of morons.

“To stop the mismanagement of taxpayer money, eliminate corruption associated with subsidies on petroleum products, power, fertilizer among others, the administration took the decision to implement long-delayed reforms, withdraw and allow the market to determine their prices.''

Confirmed. Nairaland is full of morons plus mischief makers.

They spread falsehood and keep on repeating such until it becomes the "truth" to the morons.
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by pieces18: 8:45am On Sep 07, 2020
GamalNasser:
This is the same Buhari and Ko that went to Ojota to protest against Jonathan's removal of Subsidy and Buhari was even recorded saying Subsidy was a hoax that didn't exist ..

My problem is that we have journalists who are dumb, when they face this Garba Shehu they will never ask him about the role Buhari, tinubu, elrufai, and co played in frustrating previous governments on subsidy removal. They will be asking him questions that he'll be pleased with. Our journalists don't ask questions intelligently.
APC really lied to Nigerians and are lying to us. Only God will reward them of the evil they've done to us.

1 Like

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by pieces18: 8:51am On Sep 07, 2020
CodeTemplar:

APC the greatest scammer party in the whole wide world!
Watch out, next year we'll still talk subsidy removal. They are bunch of thieves and liars.
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by ocelot2006(m): 8:55am On Sep 07, 2020
Oh the blatant LIE!! GEJ removed the subsidy yet these useless clowns took to the streets!
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by arsenal33: 8:56am On Sep 07, 2020
GamalNasser:
This is the same Buhari and Ko that went to Ojota to protest against Jonathan's removal of Subsidy and Buhari was even recorded saying Subsidy was a hoax that didn't exist ..
should it now be removed or not?
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by armadeo(m): 8:57am On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:

Yes it is. So long as PPRA is setting the price it is there.

Though, personally,speaking as someone who has believed that subsidy should have been gone since 2011, when my mind got changed on the issue, it is good if fuel goes to 200 and above

Reason being dangote refinery. Dangote needs to pay the loans he took to build that refinery plus pay its maintenance costs. I doubt he can do that selling fuel at 97 per liter, when it may cost him 140 or more to produce it.

At least, eventually we would have more refineries come on stream, and fuel prices will drop

Market forced should decide things like the cost of fuel. You cannot be paying the same price for fuel in lagos awka and Kaduna when the fuel lands in lagos and is transported everywhere else.

Its insane.

My grudge is what has stopped successive governments from building at least one refinery in each of the geopolitical zones to supply the required fuel to them.

Absolutely nothing but the lack of will power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by CodeTemplar: 8:59am On Sep 07, 2020
pieces18:

APC the greatest scammer party in the whole wide world!
Watch out, next year we'll still talk subsidy removal. They are bunch of thieves and liars.
The bolded is so true. They technically removed it and it is only a natter of time before oil prices change and then they announce a new subsidy "component" removal. Technically inept bunch.

1 Like

Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by izovibration(m): 9:02am On Sep 07, 2020
Very foolish statement. So when Jonathan removed in in 2012 were you not the people that went to the streets and protest?

We in Covid 19 pandemic , people are are suffering instead of the government to give out palliative the government is adding salt to injury.
Re: Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy by samwillyco1(m): 9:05am On Sep 07, 2020
How many times are they going to remove it, this administration is a scam and a Yahoo Yahoo government, it will never be well with the looters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Labor Party Announces The End Of Presidential Campaigns At Midnight / How Hoodlums Battered Borno Commissioner, Lawmaker / Ocholi’s Driver Had Licence, FRSC Is Processing Renewal —colleagues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.