Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely (20520 Views)

Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nairalane: 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2011
Lautech is in it aswell. Matric suspended but didnt shut down.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nairalane: 1:52pm On Feb 26, 2011
Lautech is in it aswell. Matric suspended but didnt shut down.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 26, 2011
Other people's resolution may fluctuate on the wild and changeful billows of human opinion. Ours, now and forever, is anchored on the rock of ages.

We remain undaunted!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 26, 2011
Other people's resolution may fluctuate on the wild and changeful billows of human opinion. Ours, now and forever, is anchored on the rock of ages.

We remain undaunted!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2011

We remain undaunted!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Meristem: 3:54pm On Feb 26, 2011
Greatness is not measured by shouting it. It is measured by one's sagacity and maturity. The way these undergrads are howling and hooting and abusing and insulting in this thread, I doubt if that institution is not churning out thugs and layabouts. To throw a verbal tirade in every direction just cos someone wanted u to educate him on ur much touted greatness shows the stuff u (and unfortunately, ur school too!) are made of. I am disappointed. You can shout and hoot, rant and rave all you want my dear, but If OAU is truly great, you are yet to PROVE it. For now, you are still headed in the negative x-axis.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rhymz(m): 4:14pm On Feb 26, 2011
Kulyie has a point that disappointingly a lot of the OAU students have failed to grasp. Ife is a good school or used to be a good school until students started obsessing and exploiting the avenues of protest without seriously exhausting other means. To be fair to all the Nigerian Premier Universities; from UNN,UI, ABU to OAU the level of student activism in these schools is very high, it is like a culture. Infact, students of Nsuka in January last year embarked on a well organized mammoth protest against a percieved plan by the VC Prof Barth Okolo to increase the sch fees and sundry charges by almost %1000. Imagine students waking up around 5am chanting aluta, going round the campus and even trekked from Nsuka to Opi, a lengthy distance of about 30km. Some of them were harassed and detained by our overzealous policemen. Fine, at that time the VC probably shelved the plan and according to students, zeros were wiped off the alleged number increase to give the false impression it was probably a typographical error-all of a sudden the N25000 acceptance fees on the school's website that was planned prior to the protest reverted to N2500 during & after the protests-such was the achievement of the protest. But then again, it has not stopped the man from carrying out his plan, slowly but surely the increment is being levied, in no time he will perfect his plans. And at the end the fact still remains that the increment was inevitable anyway. Now, in retrospect, all that risk, the possibility of getting shot, maimed,killed &expelled were just to slow down an inevitable process.If there is one thing I ve learnt in life, it is fighting a fight that I'm convinced can be won both in the long & short run. The mistake Ife students do all the time is to be unneccessarily combative, most of their victories have been pyrrhic in nature, and with the hindsight of time, useless. The fact is as an individual, what is more important to you? Fighting the the system and getting caught up in it or to weather through these roadblocks and leave the system? The problem with change is that it is a double edge sword, can be bittersweet, can be positive or negetive, it is futile fighting it cos you will lose. Even the school itself is a loser for it, I remember in 2004 I had applied to the school through JAMB and passed very well, only for me to wait endlessly. I had to jettison the great whatever slogans and faced the reality that I needed to be in a school with a consistent academic calender, after all said and done that is integral in the making of a great school. What is the essence of spending 7,8 years for a program that will normally take 4,5 yrs, not to even talk of the possibilties of extra semesters & sessions occassioned by missing scripts, faild results and so on.These increments are not perculier to OAU so why fight all the time over issues that have inevitably affected others even worse with even failed attempt to stop it. From the man's disposition, he is not ready to shift ground on the issue and even if he eventually does, it can never revert to what it was before the strike, so who is winning?
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Tunsbobo(m): 5:00pm On Feb 26, 2011
rhymz:

Kulyie has a point that disappointingly a lot of the OAU students have failed to grasp. Ife is a good school or used to be a good school until students started obsessing and exploiting the avenues of protest without seriously exhausting other means. To be fair to all the Nigerian Premier Universities; from UNN,UI, ABU to OAU the level of student activism in these schools is very high, it is like a culture. Infact, students of Nsuka in January last year embarked on a well organized mammoth protest against a percieved plan by the VC Prof Barth Okolo to increase the sch fees and sundry charges by almost %1000. Imagine students waking up around 5am chanting aluta, going round the campus and even trekked from Nsuka to Opi, a lengthy distance of about 30km. Some of them were harassed and detained by our overzealous policemen. Fine, at that time the VC probably shelved the plan and according to students, zeros were wiped off the alleged number increase to give the false impression it was probably a typographical error-all of a sudden the N25000 acceptance fees on the school's website that was planned prior to the protest reverted to N2500 during & after the protests-such was the achievement of the protest. But then again, it has not stopped the man from carrying out his plan, slowly but surely the increment is being levied, in no time he will perfect his plans. And at the end the fact still remains that the increment was inevitable anyway. Now, in retrospect, all that risk, the possibility of getting shot, maimed,killed &expelled were just to slow down an inevitable process.If there is one thing I ve learnt in life, it is fighting a fight that I'm convinced can be won both in the long & short run. The mistake Ife students do all the time is to be unneccessarily combative, most of their victories have been pyrrhic in nature, and with the hindsight of time, useless. The fact is as an individual, what is more important to you? Fighting the the system and getting caught up in it or to weather through these roadblocks and leave the system? The problem with change is that it is a double edge sword, can be bittersweet, can be positive or negetive, it is futile fighting it cos you will lose. Even the school itself is a loser for it, I remember in 2004 I had applied to the school through JAMB and passed very well, only for me to wait endlessly. I had to jettison the great whatever slogans and faced the reality that I needed to be in a school with a consistent academic calender, after all said and done that is integral in the making of a great school. What is the essence of spending 7,8 years for a program that will normally take 4,5 yrs, not to even talk of the possibilties of extra semesters & sessions occassioned by missing scripts, faild results and so on.These increments are not perculier to OAU so why fight all the time over issues that have inevitably affected others even worse with even failed attempt to stop it. From the man's disposition, he is not ready to shift ground on the issue and even if he eventually does, it can never revert to what it was before the strike, so who is winning?
I understand that you wrote the above essay from your personal or would i selfish perspective! You made good points in your analysis but you also failed to consider certain key elements that make up the issue at hand, and it seems like most of your points are based on mere assumptions. Firstly, if we fold our arms and let these heartless administrators increase our school fees at will, due to fact that we want alacrity as per our academic programmes, how do u expect the poor to get a university education? Most of these administrators come from poor homes, and were able to get educated only because education was cheap during their time. I know the world has evolved, and things are changing, but that doesn't mean the level of poverty in our darling country has improved! Infact, it is getting worse by the day. In a country like the united states, students of a federal university might not complain if their fees were increased by 900% because the poverty level in that country is very low, but in a country like Nigeria, this is unacceptable! In other schools like unilag, ui, ilorin and the rest, their students are moaning in pain. I know a lot of people from these schools who find it extremely difficult to pay their fees. The fact that students of Oau, have not allowed themselves to be intimidated by the school management and the fact that we are courageous enough to fight for our rights doesn't make us fools! Oau was built for the poor and not for the rich, thats our legacy, No one can change that legacy now! Great Ife
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ayubanio: 6:14pm On Feb 26, 2011
Every body has his or her point. But what is going to happen to we freshmen. I wanted to check my status in school last time. It reply that i am not a student. Does it means that we are going to re-register.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nairalane: 6:29pm On Feb 26, 2011
@ Tunsbobo, in addition, durin Awo's time, all is free. Including d food they all ate and the fees. Think of what you can give to the poors & needys, Dont think of what u ll receive from d richs & haves. I ve noticed all this earlier since d conduct of d post-ume. D form is #1000, d result checker pin is 1750, what can be viewed freely on sites. Thinking of over 40,000 people who paid that sum, few were chosen. My 2 brothers havnt check theirs til now considering d % of passes. Oau is d only hope in Nig. 4 d brillant poors. Am sure d SUGs will win d case so keen on Awo's vein. Amen. For those tinkin of prolonged years, Note: not how long matters but how comfortably and easy it is 4 u to scale tru d years, moreover it is not caused by failure. Be prayerful.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nairalane: 6:31pm On Feb 26, 2011
@ Tunsbobo, in addition, durin Awo's time, all is free. Including d food they all ate and the fees. Think of what you can give to the poors & needys, Dont think of what u ll receive from d richs & haves. I ve noticed all this earlier since d conduct of d post-ume. D form is #1000, d result checker pin is 1750, what can be viewed freely on sites. Thinking of over 40,000 people who paid that sum, few were chosen. My 2 brothers havnt check theirs til now considering d % of passes. Oau is d only hope in Nig. 4 d brillant poors. Am sure d SUGs will win d case so keen on Awo's vein. Amen. For those tinkin of prolonged years, Note: not how long matters but how comfortably and easy it is 4 u to scale tru d years, moreover it is not caused by failure. Be prayerful.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by tharyour20: 6:32pm On Feb 26, 2011
guys we no be piking again wetin happen no surpose carry us home. we need wake up. Our mates don dey paint town red shey we won old for sku. GOD I BEG HELP US OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nairalane: 6:33pm On Feb 26, 2011
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by honsule(m): 7:25pm On Feb 26, 2011
tharyour20:

guys we no be piking again wetin happen no surpose carry us home. we need wake up. Our mates don dey paint town red shey we won old for sku. GOD I BEG HELP US OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LOL cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin You have to pay a price
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by honsule(m): 7:31pm On Feb 26, 2011
@Lord Babs.Your pontification without any iota of mendacity and duplicity is too much,that is why your post was arrested as SPAM.The grammar was too much. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
You have to retype again in simple English cool cool cool cool
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ZIONENIGMA: 7:52pm On Feb 26, 2011
guys pls lets pray for OAU i don dey grow beards oo embarassed[color=#990000][/color]
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by LordBabs(m): 7:59pm On Feb 26, 2011
honsule:

@Lord Babs.Your pontification without any iota of mendacity and duplicity is too much,that is why your post was arrested as SPAM.The grammar was too much. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
@Honsule,u mean am? Chei! How e go com be now?dis one na mischief o!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by LordBabs(m): 8:02pm On Feb 26, 2011
honsule:

@Honsule,u mean am? Chei! How e go com be now?dis one na mischief o! But i no tink say me i get a perk 4 all dis 'cruel' katakata! Abah! Who dey sensor dis!?
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by LordBabs(m): 8:03pm On Feb 26, 2011
honsule:

@Honsule,u mean am? Chei! How e go com be now?dis one na mischief o! But i no tink say me i get a perk 4 all dis 'cruel' katakata! Abah! Who dey sensor dis!?
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rhymz(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2011
Tunsbobo:

I understand that you wrote the above essay from your personal or would i selfish perspective! You made good points in your analysis but you also failed to consider certain key elements that make up the issue at hand, and it seems like most of your points are based on mere assumptions. Firstly, if we fold our arms and let these heartless administrators increase our school fees at will, due to fact that we want alacrity as per our academic programmes, how do u expect the poor to get a university education? Most of these administrators come from poor homes, and were able to get educated only because education was cheap during their time. I know the world has evolved, and things are changing, but that doesn't mean the level of poverty in our darling country has improved! Infact, it is getting worse by the day. In a country like the united states, students of a federal university might not complain if their fees were increased by 900% because the poverty level in that country is very low, but in a country like Nigeria, this is unacceptable! In other schools like unilag, ui, ilorin and the rest, their students are moaning in pain. I know a lot of people from these schools who find it extremely difficult to pay their fees. The fact that students of Oau, have not allowed themselves to be intimidated by the school management and the fact that we are courageous enough to fight for our rights doesn't make us fools! Oau was built for the poor and not for the rich, thats our legacy, No one can change that legacy now! Great Ife
Tunsbobo
If there is anything you have succeeded in doing, it is misunderstanding my points. Your view of conflict management is too simplistic and shortsighted. There is no such thing as an entirely free education and your assertion that OAU was built for poor students is pure bullcrap. You forget that the school management has its own financial obligations and as such it will at some point raise levies to meet them. Or you think the pittance the FG gives them is enough to give you that quality education that made you go there in the first place? There will always be people who do not have enough in any society but economics will determine how they are treated not some heart felt emotional outburst. It is like telling a business man who has been affected by inflation and bad government policies not to raise the price of his goods because there are people who cant afford them. There will always be indigent people in any society no matter how rosy the government has it. So are you trying to argue that if in the heat of all these there is a stalement that goes on for say a year, you people will continue with the struggle for the the so-called poor? At some point you wont say damn lets just move on and get it over with? What if the school management sits down with the SUG and give them a very sound and cogent reason for the increment and the SUG decides to give up and ask everyone to resume without any protest even though the increment stays, what will you do? Go on a solo protest or pull out if you cant? My friend when solving conflicts like this, emotions are not included, your VC will give you a million justifiable reasons why he has to increase these charges irrespective of whether some can afford it or not. Unfortunately, if it can be proven that a majority can pay or have already started paying the new fees then it will be a case of majority carry the vote and minority adjust. You guys will have to learn to appeal to their own interest for them to want to even consider listening or bringing down the fees. Your constant protest has yielded nothing much but erratic academic calender and contrary to your belief, OAU is not the only school with indigent students neither is it for indigent students. You better be careful with the way you pick your fights. Now I know where the much taunted greatness emanted from-needless combativeness and constant closure as result. Try to equate the cost of winning your battle with the value of the victory and make your decision.
Thank You.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by reindeer: 9:40pm On Feb 26, 2011
If students in the UK can rise up and massively protest increase in school fees from £3,000 to £9,000 per session why wont Nigerian students who are struggling for even the most basic things complain?Why would anyone expect them to take it lying down just because they are eager to graduate into an already saturated employment market?
The students in the UK will get loans, scholarships etc but the ones in Nigeria will get nothing!This is at a time when a very stupid president is planning more federal universities with billions of Naira.Something is amiss and it is actions like these from Great Ife students that will force a rethink of their actions.
If they will charge that much then there has to be a way to cushion the effects of these cost increments.Even in the UK the schools charging that much are made to have a plan for a specific number of indigent students to gain entrance so education doesnt become an elitist thing.
I see no justification for the authorities' behaviour and i whole heartedly suport Great Ife students in their struggle, so so many people who are graduates of that schookl doing well today will never have become what they are had the previous SUGs given in to official tyranny and oppression.
Keep on fighting abeg, Greatest Ife!!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 11:16pm On Feb 26, 2011
There is no point directing your anger at the OAU management for increasing the fees. Someone noted above that the VC and the governing council will definitely have their reason for hiking the fees. No university in the world can carry out excellent research without funds, and it's the quality of research that makes a University great not how good the students are in cramming and studying hard from the beginning to the end of the semester. Students from Cambridge are tops because those University are known for their excellent research e.t.c I graduated from OAU in 2006 from one of the science dept and the quality of the research is absolute crap even though some of my Professors had degrees from Universities like Yale and Stanford. . I don't blame the department though as they receive meager funds from the faculty which in turn receive meager funds from the University. I had a first hand information back then in 2006 that the University pays more than 80million Naira/month on electricity bills alone. I wonder if the NUS still exists in Nigeria. if they do exist, then they are just puppets in the hand of politicians. We all know our government in Nigeria do not fund the Universities well enough because they are busy looting the treasury and enriching themselves. In Nigeria, it is only the academic and non-academic that stand up to the Federal Government while in the UK, it's the students.

The UK students do not direct their anger at the Universities but the government because if the governments funds the University well enough, then there will be no reason to increase the fees, that's one of the difference between a Naija student and UK student undecided.

There will always be the poor among us and with strong will and determination, they will make it. I had neighbors that sponsored themselves through (OSU) now Olabisi Onabanjo University and OSUA now (ondo state University) by doing labour at building sites and those University where expensive then. They would have preferred a cheaper OAU but the JAMB cutoff was high but they still desire education and got it through the hardest means and my neighbors are all doing well today. It's the same here in the UK, students take a year off or two years off to work in places like McDonalds and KFC just to save money to pay their school fees (3000pounds and above per year) and some drop out due to fact that they can't afford the fees any longer. It's even more difficult here because most parents don't support their wards and families care less about it. The very lucky few ones get loans but they still have to pay every penny back back or their credit report is doomed. 1 pounds is a lot of money to have in the UK, people that work in McDonalds e.t.c make about 3500-6000 pounds a year after all the hard work and their labour. I work in one of the biggest retail banks here and I know how difficult it is for the students and the citizens. In the UK, education is not for the poor except the poor can take time off Uni and do odd jobs in between to pay the fees. So being poor is not an excuse, my Uncle was not born with a silver spoon and he is now a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), he hawked to sponsor himself through GCE and the same Unife while the rich students where eating chicken they paid as part of their fees at Fajuyi Caf.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, money is not the prime asset in life, Time is. Don't let Prof. Faborode delay your progress in life, the closure could have been avoided by more diplomatic means of conflict resolution. *Sigh*
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 26, 2011
I feel lyk crying, dz skul z bleeped, au cn i b sent home on my matric dai??!! N nau e-portal telz me am nt a student!! Noe dy 'll resolve it sha.
Anyways Ife stands GREAT undisputed despite my agitationz, am a witness, my 5wkz on campus transformed me totally ready 2 face d task ahead 4 my drmz!!!
I fnk wah really makez d skul gr8 z dt any1 hz equal chnces 4 gr8nes irrespective of ur social standing!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nairalane: 2:20pm On Feb 27, 2011
@ all, info reachin me says; The convocation is March 9. By balan, we rusume after then, but b4 election. Follow dis facts: some students registered 4 election in school, moreso dat elections cant be successfuly held in school without students and security. So prepare 4 returning soon. But am nt sure of d news i heard as regard the decreasing d fee hike by d mgmt. All things in God's hand, His will be done. Happy Sunday.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ifeolu002(m): 3:22pm On Feb 27, 2011
@Nairalane how tru is dis info
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 27, 2011
@ thayour god bles u 4 thinkin.thayour hass sumarisd wot av bin tryna say since av bin typin on nl.by d tym u use ur early yrs 2 b doin aluta,b4 u realise wots hapnin ur already 29yrs n stil in 4olevl.of cos coupld wit yrs of strike ova isues dat cud av bin strike avoided.den organizatns say we want 21-25 yr olds una eYE GO clear.by d tym ure out of skul ur younga counterpats frm private uni w ey graduate at 21,22 go dey take una job.afta u go dey complain.msheww.n 2 al d oau undergraduates wey dey complain,una neva stat.u ppu abusd d privilege of bin a student,wen u stay at home til october,una go dey use ur heads.smh
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Sbrainy(m): 5:13pm On Feb 27, 2011
@kulyie u ar talkin out of point. Am sure u blong 2 OAU haters maybe because u were neva admitted
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by gwas(m): 9:26pm On Feb 27, 2011
@kulyie, u talk like a baby. GR8 IFE!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 27, 2011
@ gwas and co.make una no vex.na aluta una com skul go do.dem go star ur certificate with aluta continua.may d peace of d lord be with u in ur vain struugles.aluta my ass hole.i talk like a baby,while u havent even gotin a bloody bsc certificate talkless of nysc.truth is bita,but it stil remains d truth grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin enu e lewa
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by reindeer: 10:52pm On Feb 27, 2011
kulyie:

@ gwas and co.make una no vex.na aluta una com skul go do.dem go star your certificate with aluta continua.may d peace of d lord be with u in your vain struugles.aluta my backside hole.i talk like a baby,while u havent even gotin a bloody bsc certificate talkless of nysc.truth is bita,but it stil remains d truth grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin enu e lewa

Is this the way children type nowadays?Where did this boy get his o levels?(or if by any chance,his first degree)?
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 11:01pm On Feb 27, 2011
@ renewa enu e lewa.una still dey enjoy house grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Post Utme Result And Admission List Of Rufus Giwa Poly Owo / Samuel Ogunlana: Crawford University Best Graduating Student Speaks / ASUU To Hold Emergency Meeting On Thursday. Strike To Be Likely Called Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.