Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,000 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates (6200 Views)

Fashola Calls For A Change In House Rent Collection System In Nigeria / TMG Dissociate Self From Presidential Debates, Accuse Organizers Of Fraud / Nigeria Election Debate Group Releases Timetable For Presidential Debates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by LagosBoy1: 3:07pm On Feb 25, 2011
Fashola calls for presidential debates

By Okechukwu Nnodim

February 25, 2011 02:12AM

The governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, on Thursday, called for presidential debates for aspiring candidates vying for the seat of the number one citizen of Nigeria.

Mr. Fashola, while speaking to reporters at the presidential wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, on his way back from a lecture titled: ‘Abundance of Possibilities for Nigeria', which he delivered at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, disclosed that higher institutions should partner with their respective communities in a bid to make democracy work better in the country.

"I am surprised that even as we speak, there is no information that there will be a presidential debate, and we are going to elect a president in the next few weeks. Now, democracy is always concerned only about whether a candidate has been picked by popular choice.

"Democracy does not assure us that that candidate knows what to do about security; it does not assure us that that candidate knows what to do about electricity, or indeed about transportation or healthcare. It is only processes built within the democratic process like debates that enables the public test the preparedness of the candidates, whether or not they are ready or they are even aware of what their problems are," Mr. Fashola said.

The governor disclosed that higher institutions of civilised nations organise debates to get the basic information of whether their choice candidate has the wherewithal to take the community to a better level.

"This is what is done by universities like Harvard, Cambridge, Oxford, and others for prime ministerial, gubernatorial, and presidential elections in the two oldest democracies in the west. I didn't expect that we will be going to an election and at least there would not be a debate held in each of the six geopolitical zones; three for the vice presidential candidates, three for the presidential candidates in our institutions of higher learning. How much will it cost to organise that and televise it live?" He queried.

‘We need young leaders'

Mr. Fashola further called for young leaders in Nigeria, arguing that it is by this that the country will be able to efficiently tap from the knowledge of the youth.

"I think it is obvious now to everybody what young people can do. For the very first time, they entrusted youth corpers with the voter's registration exercise and so far so good.

"If we don't give this young people a chance, then are we truly really sure that this democracy is about them, are we really sincere that the future truly belongs to them? When 40-year olds are now leading nations and our 40-year olds can't even get to the Senate, they can't even become governors. Are we really preparing this generation for the future? Those are the issues really. We cannot point to success in other countries and refuse to do what those people are doing to get things right," he said.

Striking Doctors

The Lagos State governor called on doctors in the city to understand the constraints faced by the government, adding that the government has done its best by increasing the pay of the workers.

He, however, said he will continue to dialogue with the medical practitioners, as opposed to the demand for their sack by his predecessor, Bola Tinubu.

"I think the point is that we will continue to engage and appeal to them. This is not a war of who is superior; this is a war of rationality and reason, and we think that the point has been made. It is not a choice that we do not want to pay; it is the reality that we cannot afford to pay the full sum that they are asking for.

"After salaries, we have to buy drugs; after drugs, we have to power medical equipment and keep patients alive; after all of these, we have to pay security; we have to build roads; we have to build more schools; we have to provide water supply. These are all involved in this process and not everybody can really have everything that he wants.

"We have made a compromise, we have increased salaries, and once again, I appeal to them to see themselves as part of the solution rather being a problem," he said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5679965-146/story.csp

Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by zeeleso(f): 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2011
Chanting!!!!!
We want Debate
We want Debate
We want Debate

Giving jonathan's tendency to gaffe when he dont have a speech at hand, i doubt PDP would agree to it.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 25, 2011
The man should go and sit down jor . . he's own is becoming too much. angry angry
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by courage89(m): 4:34pm On Feb 25, 2011
What is wrong with the man calling for debate? Isn't this good for our country and democracy?
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by jason123: 4:53pm On Feb 25, 2011
Ujujoan:

The man should go and sit down jor . . he's own is becoming too much. angry angry

How?? What is wrong in asking for a debate? All developed countries do it so why should Nigeria be an exception?

@ Topic

GEJ will never accept the challenge, not in a million years!
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Feb 25, 2011
jason123:

How?? What is wrong in asking for a debate? All developed countries do it so why should Nigeria be an exception?

@ Topic

GEJ will never accept the challenge, not in a million years!

Not all developed countries do it. 

It is beginning to look more like he is positioning himself for 2015 with all these challenging of the president and what not.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by yemmight(m): 5:08pm On Feb 25, 2011
Ujujoan:

So we should not have a presidential debate or what?
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Raymonbell(m): 5:26pm On Feb 25, 2011
I can bet u if jonathan want a debate he will not come to south west federal institution
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 5:30pm On Feb 25, 2011
Fashola is sounding increasingly ridiculous. He should mind Lagos state and call for debates between himself and those who are better than him like Amaechi, Dr. Godswill Akpabio etc.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by jason123: 5:32pm On Feb 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Not all developed countries do it. 

It is beginning to look more like he is positioning himself for 2015 with all these challenging of the president and what not.

Possible . . . undecided
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Eziachi: 5:52pm On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

Fashola is sounding increasingly ridiculous. He should mind Lagos state and call for debates between himself and those who are better than him like Amaechi, Dr. Godswill Akpabio etc.
This is a bit of a surprise from you, I thought you would have jumped at the chance for a presidential debate, when your candidate was
, according to you the only educated one among others.
If I remember correctly, you were among those clamouring for a debate during the last gubernatorial election in Anambra state, why is it so bad now in 2011?
Why do you think any one calling for a debate is being ridiculous. I will like to know. Just surprise me please.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 25, 2011
Eziachi:

This is a bit of a surprise from you, I thought you would have jumped at the chance for a presidential debate, when your candidate was
If I remember correctly, you were among those clamouring for a debate during the last gubernatorial election in Anambra state, why is it so bad now in 2011?
Why do you think any one calling for a debate is being ridiculous. I will like to know. Just surprise me please.

gej in a debate

i can just see it now. i want to thank ribadu for explaining the concept of good governance to me cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Pataki: 6:05pm On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

Don't continue to be a dwarf in intellectual reasoning.

Fashola is simply exercising his right as a NIGERIAN from his president.

If that is increasingly ridiculous to you, go to Libya where the citizens only listen to their master.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 6:15pm On Feb 25, 2011
Pataki:

Don't continue to be a dwarf in intellectual reasoning.

Fashola is simply exercising his right as a NIGERIAN from his president.

If that is increasingly ridiculous to you, go to Libya where the citizens only listen to their master.

And I am  exercising my right as a Nigerian to tell him to shut up and mind his state. No? lol

Lagos state came up number 33 out of 36 for providing education infrastructure, yet they are number one in flower planting and gross abandonment of outlying areas like Ikorodu and Epe. And the man has the gall to leave state affairs and reach beyond his regional stature? Laughable.

Many governors are better than him, even in the eyes of foreigners as wikileaks showed; Akpabio was singled out, not Fashola who refused the VP position under Ribadu, cos he was sacared that his uncompleted contract would be used against him! shocked shocked shocked

Being loud is very different from being effective. Fashola should be bothered about what will come after him when the whole Lekki contraption unravels, cos it will; you can't sell Lagos to yourself and Tinubu and hope to detract attention by making agbero calls every few days.

I de laf o!!
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 6:21pm On Feb 25, 2011
Eziachi:

I wonder if you thought deeply enough before writing the above. The only persons qualified to call for presidential debates in ACN are its national leaders and presidential candidate. Fashola is only making Ribadu look like a fool.

Dude, Ribadu is the only real ACN person with the credibility to call for a debate with Jonathan, Fashola is only living up to his "rascal" bidding. He is a person who obviously doesn't know his station.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Pataki: 6:28pm On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

Many governors are better than him, even in the eyes of foreigners as wikileaks showed; Akpabio was singled out, not Fashola who refused the VP position under Ribadu, cos he was sacared that his uncompleted contract would be used against him! shocked shocked shocked

I de laf o!!
Your hypocrisy knows no boundary. The same wikileaks that revealed your Clueless Jonathan for who he really is, you are now quoting to justify your puerile argument. . . . . . you Jonathan apologetics are pathetic. . . . . lol
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by jason123: 6:30pm On Feb 25, 2011
Pataki:

Your hypocrisy knows no boundary. The same wikileaks that revealed your Clueless Jonathan for who he really is, you are now quoting to justify your puerile argument. . . . . . you Jonathan apologetics are pathetic. . . . . lol

Well said!!!
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by solihu(m): 6:38pm On Feb 25, 2011
@ Pataki, oro pataki lo so.

I see lotta two edged knives.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by DisGuy: 6:42pm On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

Fashola is sounding increasingly ridiculous. He should mind Lagos state and call for debates between himself and[b] those who are better than him[/b] like Amaechi, Dr. Godswill Akpabio etc.

are you admitting your fisherman is not better than him?

secondly how did you conclude that those guys are better than him? is it because they dont come under much scrutiny by the media or oppositions in their states, it's all good to build infrastructure but how efficient are they? they dont bother with tax because there's too much money, how diverse is their economy?

We dont just want a president prepared to spend money without telling us how he is going to spend to achieve his goals
we dont want a president that cant set a target of electricity, he doesn't want to be held to!
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 6:45pm On Feb 25, 2011
Pataki:

How does the above agbero input support your argument for Fashola? I'm at a loss! It really appears that many aren't equipped with critical thinking skills, so resort to stone throwing like bush men when their simple minded grunts are defeated.

Fashola is better off minding his business in Lagos, a state that he is scared of losing (after selling everything that moves to himself and Tinubu), hence his increasingly frantic and pathetic calls beyond his station. The man is making ACN's presidential candidate look like a fruit. lol

No wonder GEJ called them rascals, it is now becoming more obvious in their increasingly regional party with its area boy supporters.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 6:50pm On Feb 25, 2011
Dis Guy:

are you admitting your fisherman is not better than him?

secondly how did you conclude that those guys are better than him? is it because they dont come under much scrutiny by the media or oppositions in their states, it's all good to build infrastructure but how efficient are they? they dont bother with tax because there's too much money, how diverse is their economy?

We dont just want a president prepared to spend money without telling us how he is going to spend to achieve his goals
we dont want a president that cant set a target of electricity, he doesn't want to be held to!

Only ACN dimwits and other retards make ethnicaly bigoted statements. Akpabio is recognised by the wider World as much better than the flower planter and land seller that thinks uncouth loudmouthness is a virtue. Live with it.

Akpabio is Fashola's mate, let him call for a debate between himself and Akpabio. I bet you, the result will be pathetic, except for ethnic bigots, all others can see beyond Fashola's flower planting. Lagos is a scam and Fashola is a clown making Ribadu look like a fool, lets discuss that.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Pataki: 6:56pm On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

How does the above agbero input support your argument for Fashola? I'm at a loss! It really appears that many aren't equipped with critical thinking skills, so resort to stone throwing like bush men when their simple minded grunts are defeated.
And you have the temerity to question my critical thinking skills and yet you utterly fail in deducing a simple glaring point. How ludicrous.

Beaf:
Fashola is better off minding his business in Lagos, a state that he is scared of losing (after selling everything that moves to himself and Tinubu), hence his increasingly frantic and pathetic calls beyond his station. The man is making ACN's presidential candidate look like a fruit. lol
Fashola like every other well meaning Nigeria is asking for accountability from his President. How difficult is that for your comprehension? Are you really that thick in comprehension? Your blood pressure is so high simply because a Fashola is requesting for a Presidential debate. . . . . . lol. What will now happen when Clueless Jonathan is voted out from Aso Rock? I hope there is a mental hospital close-by to you. grin

Beaf:
No wonder GEJ called them rascals, it is now becoming more obvious in their increasingly regional party with its area boy supporters.
Rascals are surely more preferable than murderers, terrorists, looters, thieves and lawless men comprising of the PDP. Please say something more reasonable or I will choose to ignore the next puerile gobbledygook you spew here.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by DisGuy: 7:06pm On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

Only ACN dimwits and other retards make ethnicaly bigoted statements. Akpabio is recognised by the wider World as much better than the flower planter and land seller that thinks uncouth loudmouthness is a virtue. Live with it.

Akpabio is Fashola's mate, let him call for a debate between himself and Akpabio. I bet you, the result will be pathetic, except for ethnic bigots, all others can see beyond Fashola's flower planting. Lagos is a scam and Fashola is a clown making Ribadu look like a fool, lets discuss that.

Whats more bigoted than calling a group ELECTED leaders from a particular region rascals? we know he wasnt elected he stumbled on there!

oh a personal entry in a diary by one person via wikileak equates to the wider world?? maybe we should claim the world recognise fashola by giving him an international award
you actually make it sound like the fisherman is being bullied by the radical rascals at least we see results not these headless leadership claiming everyone is his father!
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 7:07pm On Feb 25, 2011
Pataki:

And you have the temerity to question my critical thinking skills and yet you utterly fail in deducing a simple glaring point. How ludicrous.
Fashola like every other well meaning Nigeria is asking for accountability from his President. How difficult is that for your comprehension? Are you really that thick in comprehension? Your blood pressure is so high simply because a Fashola is requesting for a Presidential debate. . . . . . lol. What will now happen when Clueless Jonathan is voted out from Aso Rock? I hope there is a mental hospital close-by to you. grin
Rascals are surely more preferable than murderers, terrorists, looters, thieves and lawless men comprising of the PDP. Please say something more reasonable or I will choose to ignore the next puerile gobbledygook you spew here.

A load of agbero crap as usual.

It isn't in Fashola's station to demand a presidential debate. He is neither an ACN leader at national level, nor is he ACN's presidential candidate. In fact (for the umteenth time) he makes Ribadu look like a fool.

What sort of organisation is ACN that is seems any clown can jump up and usurp the others offices.
Is Ribadu merely an impotent decoration in a regional party, so much so that a mere governor usurps him? Daft.

By the way, if Fashola is so concerned about good governance, her should stop selling Lagos state to himself and Tinubu. He should also take his flower planting to abandoned areas like Ikororodu and Epe, before inflicting the wider country with his foolish comments.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 7:11pm On Feb 25, 2011
Dis Guy:

Whats more bigoted than calling a group ELECTED leaders from a particular region rascals? we know he wasnt elected he stumbled on there!

oh a personal entry in a diary by one person via wikileak equates to the wider world?? maybe we should claim the world recognise fashola by giving him an international award
you actually make it sound like the fisherman is being bullied by the radical rascals at least we see results not these headless leadership claiming everyone is his father!

Guilt has a way of expressing itself as foolishness. What person aside from the damn stoopid would interprete this as a bigoted statement?

The South West is too educated and civilized to be left in the hands of rascals.” – President Goodluck Jonathan.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by DisGuy: 7:15pm On Feb 25, 2011
The South West is too educated and civilized[b] to be left in the hands of rascals[/b].

bigots have a way of spining things!!

im not racist, i have black friends cheesy
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 7:17pm On Feb 25, 2011
Dis Guy:

bigots have a way of spining things!!

im not racist, i have black friends cheesy

So, praising the SW as educated and civilized and very rightly calling the likes of Tinubu and Fashola rascals now amounts to racism? This is getting comical.
Does Fashola's usurping of Ribadu's position not make him a rascal? How about his selling Lagos state to himself and his cronies, while planting flowers? Does he really think the World is blind?
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by kcng: 7:22pm On Feb 25, 2011
wind don blow we don see fowl yansh, lol.if jonathan ever attempt to a debate with bb, he will loose  5million voters ever time he opens he's mouth,cause he's a trash talker.they will take him to the cleaners, men i know pdp can never risk it.But i pray they do so we can all see how intelligent ex-president Goodluck is.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Beaf: 7:34pm On Feb 25, 2011
kcng:

wind don blow we don see fowl yansh, lol.if jonathan ever attempt to a debate with bb, he will loose  5million voters ever time he opens he's mouth,cause he's a trash talker.they will take him to the cleaners, men i know pdp can never risk it.But i pray they do so we can all see how intelligent ex-president Goodluck is.

Is it Buhari that talks as if yams grow in his mouth? lol
Buhari can't even pronounce "debate."

NL is truly hilarious! grin
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by damas11111(m): 7:45pm On Feb 25, 2011
It's not only surprising that people who appear educated and literate can have any reason to attack Fashola on this. It is highly ridiculous! With people like beaf and his likes, you begin to wonder if Nigeria is not doomed. Anyone who has passed through the 4 corners of higher institution of learning (whether by accident or design) should appreciate the simple fact that a presidential debate will better the lot of the country and help to arrive at an informed choice.
Beaf needs to be taken for psychiatric examination.
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by ekubear1: 8:04pm On Feb 25, 2011
*subscribing to this thread*
Re: Fashola Calls For Presidential Debates by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 25, 2011

later the same liars will be telling us gej was 'grossly misquoted' .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC PH Rally: Poor Crowd, Buhari Cuts Short Speech As Stadium Empties (pic) / Fact Check - Did Peter Obi Own Any Residential House In Lagos? / Reno Omokri Attacks Elrufai Again(pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.