Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,946 members, 7,814,205 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. (4108 Views)

Lagos State Government Now Use Yoruba As Its Official Language On Facebook / The Tribal Slur Between Igbos And Yoruba,as A Northerner This What I Have To Say / Olufunke Awolowo: Awolowo's Opinion About Buhari Before He Died — Grand Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 12:20pm On Sep 18, 2020
�To onlookers, the Yorubas almost seem homogeneous and to put up a united front,but that would be a mirage. There are definitely intra-ethnic scuffles which seek to undermine their reputed front of solidarity. However, this solidarity is real among Yorubas, in whom we have the most tribalistic people of the major ethnicities in Nigeria.

Yorubas have long developed a sense of nationality, which they guard jealously (as seen in their default opposition to inter-ethnic marriage and their strong grasp upon their cultural indexes such as language, names, dressing, cuisine, etc). While it'd be normal for you to see an Igbo or Ijaw person named Johnson Rawlings, hardly would you find a Yoruba person without some ‘Ola’ or ‘Oluwa’ affix to their names. And what Yoruba person doesn't eat amala? Haven't seen any yet.

The solidarity of the Yoruba is a blessing to them (and, most times, to them alone). There is this ‘us’ versus ‘others’ mentality that has glorified itself in their land, so they rally round their own for the benefit of their own. Their perceived neutrality towards Nigerian politics is really a ploy to be always on the winning side (because you only lose on the losing side). This has worked for them and has ensured the stability of the Yoruba land through the various undulating episodes of Nigeria's journey,often to the chagrin of the Igbos, who earnestly desire a unity of the South against the North. But that unity is never going to be because, you see, the Yoruba will always win anyway. This is a smartness that the Igbo man, in all his astuteness, will never comprehend. However, for the purpose of building a better Nigeria, this attitude seems to be counterproductive, as it seems to reflect that the Yoruba are okay with Nigeria the way it is.

That said, I'll talk about the beauty of the Yoruba people. Aside being in close terms with their culture, the Yorubas are also very hospitable to and accommodating of other ethnic groups. They are perhaps the most tolerant of the major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Like I said, a lot of Nigerians grew up in Lagos, a Yoruba land, and they often feel more at home in Lagos than in my own hometown. The same applies in varying degrees to other cities in Yorubaland. As a matter of fact, there is consistently a large Igbo population in most Yoruba cities (although it's hard to say whether this is as a result of the hospitabiltiy of Yorubas or of the sense of adventure ingrained in the Igbos). When I visited my aunt who is a Yoruba woman, she would treat me just like her own kid. Nevertheless, she also expected me to understand their culture and follow it like I was a Yoruba person, forcing me to learn the language subconsciously. (Don't greet an old Yorubas woman in English - it's disrespectful). Intellectualism reigns among the Yoruba and they are ready to experiment and to be open to new ways, as long as it doesn't affect their cultural indexes. (A Yoruba friend of mine who was a Muslim used to follow me to church just to see what it felt like, and another friend of mine who was born of Muslim parents started attending church just to have more religious options).

But if you ask me, i have a deep respect for this tribe, they may not be perfect, but they are one of the most jovial tribe of people, who enjoy the pleasure that life and people have to offer them.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by kingzizzy: 12:27pm On Sep 18, 2020
As an Igbo man, I can say that it will be a great blessing when we Igbos dont have to share one country with Yorubas any more. Igbos and Yorubas hardly knew each other before the British came to 'rope' them both together into a colonial project called 'Nigeria'

So Im hoping we will all be 'unroped' very soon. It will be a blessing not to share the same country with Yorubas, same goes for Hausa/Fulani

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by helinues: 12:29pm On Sep 18, 2020
Their perceived neutrality towards Nigerian politics is really a ploy to be always on the winning side (because you only lose on the losing side).

That sums it up.

Kudos to the writer

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Sammy07: 12:29pm On Sep 18, 2020
What about Owambe cool

You eat till you full cool

2 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 12:33pm On Sep 18, 2020
kingzizzy:
As an Igbo man, I can say that it will be a great blessing when we Igbos dont have to share one country with Yorubas any more. Igbos and Yorubas hardly knew each other before the British came to 'rope' them both together into a colonial project called 'Nigeria'

So Im hoping we will all be 'unroped' very soon. It will be a blessing not to share the same country with Yorubas, same goes for Hausa/Fulani
. Start by leaving their land and operate only in South East. Let your representative in government resign then all Nigerian will take you serious.

42 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:35pm On Sep 18, 2020
All these write up could have been summed up in one sentence: Yorubas are untrustworthy.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:36pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:
. Start by leaving their land and operate only in South East. Let your representative in government resign then all Nigerian will take you serious.

We did that in 1967. You came to our land with British guns to force us back.
Decide what you guys want instead of double face and back-stabbing.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Sammy07: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:

This is what I keep telling them.
They should also make sure They don't sell Gas and coal to Nigeria government.

But without the backing Of their governors and leaders it's a futile attempt

10 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by helinues: 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2020
AlfaSeltzer:
All these write up could have been summed up in one sentence: Yorubas are untrustworthy.

Using Nokia 3310 to browse might be challenging though .... Cos that was not the epistle about.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by helinues: 12:39pm On Sep 18, 2020
AlfaSeltzer:

Using Nokia 3310 to browse might be challenging though .... Cos that is not what the epistle all about.

5 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 12:39pm On Sep 18, 2020
I am far from been a Yoruba man. I am open minded and say the truth as it's.

6 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 12:41pm On Sep 18, 2020
AlfaSeltzer:

. You needed the Niger Delta oil hence the war. Exclude Niger Delta area from your map, do the needful and watch the magic.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by kingzizzy: 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:

Last time we did the above, they still came down to the East to fight a 3 year civil war.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 12:50pm On Sep 18, 2020
kingzizzy:

Last time we did the above, they still came down to the East to fight a 3 year civil war.

. Define your war, make it plain and simple leave Niger Delta out of your map and see the wonder

13 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:12pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:
. You needed the Niger Delta oil hence the war. Exclude Niger Delta area from your map, do the needful and watch the magic.

We are Niger Delta.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2020
AlfaSeltzer:

We are Niger Delta.
. Well South south doesn't want to go to you hence we die herr

9 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:23pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:
. Well South south doesn't want to go to you hence we die herr

Lol. Another we the SS.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Vyzz: 1:23pm On Sep 18, 2020
Ọp were are u from?

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 1:24pm On Sep 18, 2020
Vyzz:
Ọp were are u from?
. I am a Nigerian

9 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by IamWonderful: 1:30pm On Sep 18, 2020
Ok
Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Goodmarlian: 1:48pm On Sep 18, 2020
You Don talk your own kudos Now make I talk my own.. wink

I was born in yorroberland shagamu precisely ,Yorrobers don't really love one Nigeria as you guys think, take a look at the Map of Nigeria look at the map of the southwest what do you observe? Yorrobers have all it takes be a great nation , of all the three major ethnic groups groups of Nigeria they are the only ones that do not need the minorities to survive,access to sea they have ,huge and fertile land they have ,they know this but what's delaying them is simple fear.the last thing the yorrober can never risk his life for anything in this life ,not even for money or his freedom and secondly yorrober love Fulanis.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Goodmarlian: 1:53pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:
. Define your war, make it plain and simple leave Niger Delta out of your map and see the wonder

Oga it seems you are a kid in political matters, the moment igbos leave Nigeria even if its with just the 5 states that day will mark the end of Nigeria even the Niger delta you want to suck dry will not want to remain in your one Nijiriya.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by femolii: 1:53pm On Sep 18, 2020
AlfaSeltzer:

You reason well at all, killing other regions Kings men before your declaration of Biafra republic that's not the right thing sir remember you used the same British guns against other regions first.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by knowledgeable: 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:

See this one ke.

Igbos have sacrificed their lives in millions and continue to do so for 100% separation/leave your land, and any environment that contain both Igbos/Yorubas ( Nigeria). True or False?., .. but your forbearers sacrificed some of their own lives to force them back, and now, you want their Representatives in the government to resign, and Igbos leave your region and operate only in the East. So you are scared of 100% separation?. Fools every where.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2020
Goodmarlian:

Oga it seems you are a kid in political matters, the moment igbos leave Nigeria even if its with just the 5 states that day will mark the end of Nigeria even the Niger delta you want to suck dry will not want to remain in your one Nijiriya.
. I am a Niger Deltan so we will be glad to stay on our own.

6 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Goodmarlian: 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2020
femolii:
You reason well at all, killing other regions Kings men before your declaration of Biafra republic that's not the right thing sir remember you used the same British guns against other regions first.
Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by sirjamesjnr(m): 1:57pm On Sep 18, 2020
knowledgeable:

See this one ke.

Igbos have sacrificed their lives in millions and continue to do so for 100% separation/leave your land, and any environment that contain both Igbos/Yorubas ( Nigeria). True or False?., .. but your forbearers sacrificed some of their own lives to force them back, and now, you want their Representatives in the government to resign, and Igbos leave your region and operate only in the East. So you are scared of 100% separation?. Fools every where.
You want separation but you don't want your leaders to forget the Niger Delta oil free money. Define what you want and see the wonders

11 Likes

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Goodmarlian: 1:58pm On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:
. I am a Niger Deltan so we will be glad to stay on our own.
Good one but please exclude igbos of delta and rivers from your Map, the your can have other ethnic groups but no inch of igboland is going with you .. wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About A Yoruba As A Tribe. by Yobabad: 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2020
The are very lazy people, especially the very few Muslims among them and members of YMM

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See Nigeria Naira Note With 2026 As Production Date (photos). / Separation of Religion and Government / Is the South-East Still Paying For Civil War? Balarabe Musa thinks so

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.