Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? (7892 Views)

Arms Deal: EFCC Traces Transfers To 11 Foreign Accounts In UK, US, Niger / Seize Any Money I Own In Foreign Accounts, Akpabio Challenges FG / Before 1999 Tinubu Had None Of These: (2) (3) (4)

Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by oluwabamis(m): 8:39pm On Feb 26, 2011
http://tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/front-page-articles/3431-death-of-tribunal-boss-stalls-tinubus-trial-as-efcc-probes-hurried-sale-of-5-houses-in-us.html?tmpl=component&print=1&page=

Federal Government has filed a fresh criminal charge
against former Lagos State governor, Senator Bola Tinubu, for allegedly operating 16 foreign accounts as governor between 1999 and 2007, contrary to the provisions of the nation’s law book.

The trial will be conducted by the Code of Conduct Bureau, an agency under the supervision of the presidency.

He was charged to the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

This came as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is reportedly investigating hurried sale of five houses belonging to him in the United States of America.

Bureau’s spokesperson, Idowu Jokpeyibo, while responding to an enquiry by the Saturday Tribune confirmed that the EFCC had handed over to the Bureau, the aspect of the on-going probe of Tinubu that bordered on the alleged illegal operation of the foreign accounts, since it falls under the bureau’s purview.

She added that the bureau immediately filed an amended criminal charge against Tinubu at the Code of Conduct Tribunal for immediate prosecution.

According to her, “the charge against him for operating foreign accounts as governor, which is against the constitution, was filed some weeks ago.

“The EFCC handed over the case file to us since the bureau is empowered to prosecute such matter. We have re-filed the case which could
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 26, 2011
Only 16?

That's strange (scratches head).

Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Beaf: 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2011
Good news, time to keep the ethnically bigoted cow very very busy.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by oluwabamis(m): 9:02pm On Feb 26, 2011
tinubu is as corrupt as any of these pdp govs. he succeeded in wasting 8 years of lagos state. ribadu likewise is no saint, with contrversies over the recovered loots of abacha.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by excanny: 9:07pm On Feb 26, 2011
Surely another jail-bound loser.

Looking forward to another  'thanksgiving' ceremony for another disgraced criminal.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 26, 2011
OBJ is at it again,what has this fellow done or said this time ,but,come to think of it,why is this been made public after 8yrs of his leaving office? (the FOI bill is already producing results even before the senate will pass it into law)
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by DisGuy: 9:23pm On Feb 26, 2011
govt should not be in the business of keeping suspects 'busy' but prosecuting and locking criminals

this govt under GEJ has kept perceived opponents 'busy' Dokpesi/IBB were kept busy

Judge Salami was kept 'busy'

Former minister of Agriculture is kept busy

the fg should be aiming to prosecute and send people to jail not plea barganing and keeping people busy!
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Beaf: 9:30pm On Feb 26, 2011
^
Correction; Salami is still very busy, and we are praying fervently to see Tinubu through the iron bars of a jailhouse very soon.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by oluwabamis(m): 9:32pm On Feb 26, 2011
@beef, you know that ethnicity issue is one of our greatest undoing as a nation, the other one is religion, these 2 factors are responsible for the way our politics is-lopsided. the day we are able to say thiings at its face value, that day marks d begining of our turnaround.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 26, 2011
^^ what has that got to do with the issue on hand
@ beaf ,pray hard but remember ,tinubu may not get more than 2yrs jail term for whatever crime you think he may have commited.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Beaf: 9:40pm On Feb 26, 2011
^
I'm sure his crimes run a mile long, so he can be tried for them one after the other. lol

oluwabamis:

@beef, you know that ethnicity issue is one of our greatest undoing as a nation, the other one is religion, these 2 factors are responsible for the way our politics is-lopsided. the day we are able to say thiings at its face value, that day marks d begining of our turnaround.

You are 100% correct. Most people think corruption is Nigeria's worst problem, but corruption is only a symptom of ethnic bigotry, which in turn is a sympton of various ethnic groups bashing each other for all the spoils in Abuja (as dictated by our fake federalism).

Ethnic bigotry is the veil the corrupt elite use to blind and confuse us, so we lose sight of the truth and remain confounded even when stark reality stares us in the face. People like Tinubu are the most skilled when it comes to harnessing ethnic bigotry and must be pulled down.
In tinubu's favour though, is the fact that he is a relatively small fish in the ethnically bigoted politics pond. The real players are the Ciroma's, Yakasai's etc.

It falls on all progressive youth to banish ethnic bigotry from politics, and with the right structures in place, it can be done.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 26, 2011
against former Lagos State governor, Senator Bola Tinubu, for allegedly operating 16 foreign accounts as governor between 1999 and 2007, contrary to the provisions of the nation’s law book.

can someone post this law for us?

because i seriously doubt if any governor, including gej does not have a foreign account

unlike gej, who was an underwhelming teacher , tinubu was a treasurer at mobil oil.

are we to assume that any politician must close all his foreign accounts once he enters into office

by implication, can we further assume that politicians must divest any foreign holdings once they assume public office?

anyway, we all know its political

na we do am episode 2 -

carry on -

fresh air 2011

so when will dimeji bankole br probed - considering the fact that the fellow was based abroad to start with, he definitely has foreign accounts

as to ethnic bigotry, we know the hypocrites who keep screaming about almajiri parasites
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by EzeUche2(m): 10:02pm On Feb 26, 2011
Beaf:

Good news, time to keep the ethnically bigoted cow very very busy.

Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Beaf: 10:06pm On Feb 26, 2011
By the time EFCC begins looking into Lagos state business, the man will be totally quartered and diced. lol.
I de laf o!!!!!!!

May he continue to have nightmares of "fishermen coming on land to seek votes from us," as if we aren't all Nigerians. LOL!!!!!!!
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Nsiman(m): 10:06pm On Feb 26, 2011
Lagosians' tax money in a conduit pipe.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by SEFAGO(m): 10:10pm On Feb 26, 2011

You are 100% correct. Most people think corruption is Nigeria's worst problem, but corruption is only a symptom of ethnic bigotry, which in turn is a sympton of various ethnic groups bashing each other for all the spoils in Abuja (as dictated by our fake federalism).

This is the biggest bullshit I have heard. Nigeria's biggest problem is corruption not ethnic bigotry. Its just that the politicians use bigotry and religion to dabaru everything while stealing your money.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by EzeUche2(m): 10:12pm On Feb 26, 2011
“I think the president is wrong because that is an insult to our parents.[b] It is a speech from a drunk sailor fisherman whose boat is about to capsize. [/b]That is an insult to our parents, you don’t come to this land, seek our votes and then insult our parents that they raised rascals”, -Tinubu

A very memorable yet tribalistic quote from a politician. I can just imagine what he says about the Igbo behind closed doors.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by againstGEJ(m): 10:16pm On Feb 26, 2011
and this is the person Ribadu is romancing with - and even funding his campaign.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by SEFAGO(m): 10:18pm On Feb 26, 2011
EzeUche_:

“I think the president is wrong because that is an insult to our parents.[b] It is a speech from a drunk sailor fisherman whose boat is about to capsize. [/b]That is an insult to our parents, you don’t come to this land, seek our votes and then insult our parents that they raised rascals”, -Tinubu

A very memorable yet tribalistic quote from a politician. I can just imagine what he says about the Igbo behind closed doors.

You have definitely said worse. Moreover, are you not impressed with how he constructed such an expression?

"Drunk sailor fisherman whose boat is about to capsize", if he coined the expression himself I would be kind of impressed. Shows how brilliant he is.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Nsiman(m): 10:18pm On Feb 26, 2011
@ ezeuche, post at the right place, dn't derail this thread.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Jenifa1: 10:18pm On Feb 26, 2011
wow. who would have thunk
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Nsiman(m): 10:19pm On Feb 26, 2011
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Beaf: 10:20pm On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

This is the biggest bullshit I have heard. Nigeria's biggest problem is corruption not ethnic bigotry. Its just that the politicians use bigotry and religion to dabaru everything while stealing your money.

Don't you see the serious contradiction in the bolded?

If not for ethnic bigotry, politicians wouldn't be able to practice corruption on the industrial scale that applies in 9ja. The masses too have fallen head first for the trick, so each ethnic group wants their man at the centre at FG level. It trickles down to LG level with each village wanting their man as chairman.

All of the above is fed by our nauseating, "winner takes all" unitary govt we decieve ourselves is federal.
The chain is; free money in Abuja >> ethnic bigotry (through population, presence in army etc as immediate tools) >> patronage >> corruption.
As you can see, corruption is some way down the chain.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by EzeUche2(m): 10:23pm On Feb 26, 2011
Nsiman:

I think my post should exactly be here. It frames a view that Tinubu has of our president. Calling him a drunk fisherman do to his origins is not something a politician say.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by SEFAGO(m): 10:33pm On Feb 26, 2011
If not for ethnic bigotry, ploiticians wouldn't be able to practice corruption on the industrial scale that applies in 9ja. The masses too have fallen head first for the trick, so each ethnic group wants their man at the centre at FG level. It trickles down to LG level with each village wanting their man as chairman.

They want their man, because they expect someone from their village or group to look out for their interests. Such a feeling is not so bad. What is bad is that when that man gets to the top he starts to look out more for himself than the villagers, thats the problem.

The chain is; free money in Abuja >> ethnic bigotry (through population, presence in army etc) as immediate tools >> patronage >> corruption.

i dont get you chain of events, but I would point out that ethnic bigotry is just a tool in the hands of politicians towards the ultimate goal. That does not mean that they cannot exploit other ways to get to their goal of stealing from the nigerian treasury. The issue is tackling the concept of "free money in abuja" and corruption since tackling the tools might be ineffective since politicians will find one way or the other to get what they want.

I think my post should exactly be here. It frames a view that Tinubu has of our president. Calling him a drunk fisherman do to his origins is not something a politician say.

Politics is all about dirty talk. I can remember here quite vividly that people were clamoring for the death of Yar'adua shamelessly ignoring the fact that this man has a family too and they have feelings too. Alluding to the presidents origins as coming from a group of fishermen is not in anyways offensive.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Beaf: 11:51pm On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

Politics is all about dirty talk. I can remember here quite vividly that people were clamoring for the death of Yar'adua shamelessly ignoring the fact that this man has a family too and they have feelings too. Alluding to the presidents origins as coming from a group of fishermen is not in anyways offensive.

Thats funny, cos its obvious that many of us find it deeply offensive and will always find it deeply offensive.
Its like a white man telling us that there is nothing offensive in his calling blacks "niggers." Try another trick, this one is useless.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by seanet02: 11:57pm On Feb 26, 2011
There they go again. Always finding how to pull Us down. GEJ is not capable of what he is trying to do. He should go and ask Tafawa Balewa and Zik, even OBJ his great grandfather is not capable of Jailing TINUBU. Utter bundles of moro.ns. Go and jail him and see whether GEJ survives the consequences. As for you beaf, na only mouth you get, a single shot now and you are already on the run. GEJ i dey wonder wetin you smoke? Better concentrate on your Music jamboree. Instead of him to tell us why Mend bombed  Us on independence day, he is crying wolf where none exist. Edwin Clark, better warn ODECHUKWU.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by ekubear1: 11:58pm On Feb 26, 2011
It will be interesting to see who wins this battle between Tinubu and GEJ.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by cold(m): 12:17am On Feb 27, 2011
If there are reasonable grounds for prosecution he should be made to face the music & subsequently convicted,end of.
Re: Tinubu Had 16 Foreign Accounts While In Office? by Justcash(m): 12:18am On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

It will be interesting to see who wins this battle between Tinubu and GEJ.

Obviously, GEJ would bury Tinubu considering that he got the political power and the backing of OBJ (The Ota farm oracle). If really GEJ wants to deal with Tinubu, EFCC can dig up corrupt stuffs that were ignored in the past.
If you ask me, I'd say GEJ have been fair in this presidential campaign. If it was OBJ, Tinubu and co would be voiceless and frustrated by now. We wouldn't even be talking of ACN's chances.

Vigilante Group Nabs 19 Boko-Haram Suspects In Borno. / Ekiti Assembly Suspends 16 Council Chairmen, 177 Councillors / ‘BVAS Hitches, Missing Voter Names’ — Yiaga Africa Releases Findings On Mock Acc