Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others (974 Views)

Britain To Provide £6.7M To Rehabilitate IDP Victims / Mark Begs Britain To Assist Nigeria On Insecurity / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Pharoh: 11:17am On Feb 27, 2011
British authorities have said the country's census forms will be printed in 57 languages, including Igbo, the language spoken in the South-East and some parts of the South-South and North-Central of Niegria.

advertisement

Among other languages to be used for the exercise are Shona, spoken in Zimbabwe and some parts of Zambia and Mozambique; Tigrinya, spoken in Eritrea and Ethiopia; and Swahili, spoken in Tanzania, Kenya and other parts of East Africa.

The 57 languages are more than double the number a decade ago, according to The Mail of London. Printing the forms with all the different translations will cost an estimated £50,000 - and the move has been branded 'time-consuming and bureaucratic' by critics.

British Prime Minister David Cameron had pledged to cut spending on translations to encourage people to learn English. Hotlines will also be set up to help citizens fill out the forms in the census, which will cost £482m.

The paperwork will even be translated into Swedish and Dutch - even though almost all the native speakers in Britain are good at English. Seven translations will be produced for different Indian languages.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/feb/25/830.html

So igbo is the most populated nigerian tribe in UK or the most relevant from this census case?.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by presido1: 11:29am On Feb 27, 2011
I do not know who is most populated but Yoruba is the most spoken Naija Lingo in UK. This is cos most other ethnic groups from Naija( Igbo,Benin, Ijaw) speak yoruba so you cannot easily say who is who when you see people speak yoruba on the street.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by ekubear1: 11:29am On Feb 27, 2011
A more useful article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360147/Taxpayers-fury-census-forms-printed-57-languages-including-Tagalog-Igbo-Shona.html

My inference is that Yoruba has long been a census language. The newcomers like Tagalog, Igbo are what seems to be pissing off UK taxpayers.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 27, 2011
Pharoh:

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/feb/25/830.html

So igbo is the most populated nigerian tribe in UK or the most relevant from this census case?.

Sweetie, Yoruba is also one of those languages . . .so now what are we analyzing?
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Pharoh: 11:40am On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

A more useful article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360147/Taxpayers-fury-census-forms-printed-57-languages-including-Tagalog-Igbo-Shona.html

Thanks for this link and i can see yoruba there now because i was afraid that how come there are more igbo speakers than yoruba speakers in britain.

presido1:

I do not know who is most populated but Yoruba is the most spoken Naija Lingo in UK. This is cos most other ethnic groups from Naija( Igbo,Benin, Ijaw) speak yoruba so you cannot easily say who is who when you see people speak yoruba on the street.

You are right and you can check the link by eku_bear, yoruba is among the 57 languages so it is a balanced act then. I think britain of all people should know that most nigerians over there can speak english and there is no need for translation. What are kind of message are they trying to pass if they as our former colonia masters do no have faith in the quality of our enlgish language.

Do nigerians need to take any english language test before studying in britain?, i know we take the toefl if going to study in the united states. This translation is a slap on our face in my own opinion and we should reject this. Well i won't blame them when some nigerians already messed us up in some parts of europe or even there in britian.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Pharoh: 11:45am On Feb 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Sweetie, Yoruba is also one of those languages . . .so now what are we analyzing?

Easy dear, they did not mention yoruba language in the first link hence my question because i know yoruba is the most spoken nigerian language there in the UK. I have been there many times so that was why i asked that question in the first place because i don't see why they could translate in igbo and not in yoruba too. I have nothing against any language as i can speak both languages, lived most of my life in southwest as well so drop the attack please.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 27, 2011
Pharoh:

Easy dear, they did not mention yoruba language in the first link hence my question because i know yoruba is the most spoken nigerian language there  in the UK. I have been there many times so that was why i asked that question in the first place because i don't see why they could translate in igbo and not in yoruba too. I have nothing against any language as i can speak both languages, lived most of my life in southwest as well so drop the attack please.   

LOL I wasnt attacking you, trust me. I'm well ware of your motive. grin grin

How does language on census = most relevant? I understand if you meant most populous tho. Everywhere in S. FL, every sign is in both English and spanish. In N. FL, its all English. Does that mean the Hispanics are relevant in one area and irrelevant in another?
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by presido1: 11:55am On Feb 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You made a genuine contribution and he felt you attacked him, on the other hand he cannot be blamed going by your recent posts in here.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by seanet02: 12:14pm On Feb 27, 2011
Pharoh:

Thanks for this link and i can see yoruba there now because i was afraid that how come there are more igbo speakers than yoruba speakers in britain.

You are right and you can check the link by eku_bear, yoruba is among the 57 languages so it is a balanced act then. I think britain of all people should know that most nigerians over there can speak english and there is no need for translation. What are kind of message are they trying to pass if they as our former colonia masters do no have faith in the quality of our enlgish language.

Do nigerians need to take any english language test before studying in britain?, i know we take the toefl if going to study in the united states. This translation is a slap on our face in my own opinion and we should reject this. Well i won't blame them when some nigerians already messed us up in some parts of europe or even there in britian.
i think This is okay. But some languages like ibo should not have been there because ibos are only in Nigeria and since English is the official language of Nigeria, it should not have there. That of YORUBA is a welcomed development considering the fact that YORUBAS are also in french speaking Togo and Benin. Just my opinion o no prejudice.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Pharoh: 12:39pm On Feb 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

How does language on census = most relevant? I understand if you meant most populous tho. Everywhere in S. FL, every sign is in both English and spanish. In N. FL, its all English. Does that mean the Hispanics are relevant in one area and irrelevant in another?

Lol stick to the population angle and what was my motive if i may ask?. grin
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Ramnon2: 4:43pm On Feb 27, 2011
Yeah! More Yoruba in the UK hence more Yoruba UK criminals, as we read everyday.
Hence they turned Peckham into Oshodi with their rascally behaviour
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Obiagu1(m): 5:38pm On Feb 27, 2011
presido1:

Don't say what you don't know. Igbos can NEVER speak Yoruba outside Yorubaland, NEVER!

This is why some people think that Igbos are not many in Lagos and the UK. Igbos, naturally, do not default to Igbo outside Igboland except in their homes, unlike Yorubas that speak Yoruba everywhere they are.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by jason123: 5:40pm On Feb 27, 2011
Obiagu1:

Don't say what you don't know. Igbo can NEVER speak Yoruba outside Yorubaland, NEVER!

LOL, you do not know what you are talking about!
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Obiagu1(m): 5:57pm On Feb 27, 2011
jason123:

LOL, you do not know what you are talking about!

You folks say things you don't have clue about. Even in Lagos, many Igbos can't say a word in Yoruba beyond greetings. My Uncle has lived there for over 20 yrs but can't speak Yoruba, even his kids can't speak Yoruba.

This your "everyone speaks our language" is what is deceiving you. Yoruba speakers in Lagos are mostly Yorubas. I lived in Alaba with friends and barely heard Yoruba spoken. Yoruba speakers come to Igbo shops and speak Pidgin because those boys won't speak Yoruba with them.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Afam4eva(m): 6:26pm On Feb 27, 2011
It's pretty annoying whenever I hear stuff like "everyone in lagos speaks yoruba". I'm like "who the hell speaks yoruba except yorubas and few non-yorubas".millions of igbos in lagos can't even speak yoruba.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Ramnon2: 6:58pm On Feb 27, 2011
Speak Yoruba ke?
Even Anyaoku whose wife is Yoruba does not speak that language
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by jason123: 7:22pm On Feb 27, 2011
Obiagu1:

You folks say things you don't have clue about. Even in Lagos, many Igbos can't say a word in Yoruba beyond greetings. My Uncle has lived there for over 20 yrs but can't speak Yoruba, even his kids can't speak Yoruba.

This your "everyone speaks our language" is what is deceiving you. Yoruba speakers in Lagos are mostly Yorubas. I lived in Alaba with friends and barely heard Yoruba spoken. Yoruba speakers come to Igbo shops and speak Pidgin because those boys won't speak Yoruba with them.

How can you say that igbos do not speak yoruba outside Lagos or "yorubaland" ? I agree that not all igbos in lagos or "yorubaland" speak yoruba but some speak it OUTSIDE YORUBA LAND . Yes and UK is not "yorubaland". Also, some yorubas speak igbo and/or hausa in UK but the yoruba language is more dominate here as the igbo language might be more dominate in the USA. Moreover, what is the big deal? I speak yoruba and I am also learning igbo so what gives? May tribalism not becloud your judgements in real life! Amen!!!
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by jason123: 7:24pm On Feb 27, 2011
Ramnon.2:

Speak Yoruba ke?
Even Anyaoku whose wife is Yoruba does not speak that language

Igbobuigbo, who cares My Igbo GF here speaks yoruba better than me, so go hang yaself! Igbo tribalist!! grin
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by jason123: 7:25pm On Feb 27, 2011
afam4eva:

It's pretty annoying whenever I hear stuff like "everyone in lagos speaks yoruba". I'm like "who the hell speaks yoruba except yorubas and few non-yorubas".millions of igbos in lagos can't even speak yoruba.

Not everyone in lagos speaks yoruba. You are very correct!
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by EzeUche2(m): 7:35pm On Feb 27, 2011
My cousins who great up in Lagos do not speak Yoruba or Igbo. Most people in Lagos focus on Pidgin English, not Yoruba. That being said, I know for a fact that there are more Yorubas in the U.K.

Igbos have always favored going to the United States over the U.K. And we have had presence in the U.S. since the 1930s and 1940s.

There are some Igbo families that have been in America for 3 generations.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by AndreUweh(m): 10:47pm On Feb 27, 2011
In 36 months time, there will be more Igbo than Yoruba in in the U.K.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by AljUche: 10:49pm On Feb 27, 2011
Andre Uweh:

In 36 months time, there will be more Igbo than Yoruba in in the U.K.

why is that, are igbos going to flock to UK in 36 months time or what ? please brother i would like to know smiley
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by AndreUweh(m): 11:03pm On Feb 27, 2011
Alj Uche:

why is that, are igbos going to flock to UK in 36 months time or what ? please brother i would like to know smiley
Reason: more Igbo and Edo coming to the U.K.
In 24 months time, Ndigbo and Yorubas will be at par. Then, the gradual overtake will happen.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Nobody: 11:04pm On Feb 27, 2011
Before it was Igbo lang more relevant, now its "we do not speak Yoruba" after countlessly claiming that Igbos speak Yoruba on this forum.
The level ppl would stoop to deny the truth  grin grin grin

God bless the Yoruba language, you shall never die cool
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by EzeUche2(m): 11:07pm On Feb 27, 2011
The fact remains is why are my people leaving our homeland? Is the economic climate that depressed. Instead of going to the UK, come to the United States. Come to places like Texas, Maryland and Illinois.

My duty is to bring more Igbo families into the United States. I want us to have a foothold in this country and GROW.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by jason123: 11:08pm On Feb 27, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Reason: more Igbo and Edo coming to the U.K.
In 24 months time, Ndigbo and Yorubas will be at par. Then, the gradual overtake will happen.

. . . .and yorubas are not coming in, abi? Yorubas prefer to tarvel to the UK than anywhere or state within Nigeria and you know that.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by AndreUweh(m): 11:50pm On Feb 27, 2011
jason123:

. . . .and yorubas are not coming in, abi? Yorubas prefer to tarvel to the UK than anywhere or state within Nigeria and you know that.
Did I say Yorubas are not coming in?. It is just that Igbo and Edo are coming in more.
Re: Britain To Print Census Forms In Igbo, 56 Others by Nobody: 7:47am On Feb 28, 2011
Why is it that everything on political forum of NL always boils down to tribalism?
The only people that protect their language in this country are the Hausas! If u tell an hausaman 'ba hausa' he will look at u with disdain! But if u converse with an hausaman in his language, and he knows u ar not hausa, then u r in heaven wt the hausaman. For the igbos and yorubas, if u cant speak their language, then they happily switch to pidgin or plain english

(1) (Reply)

News - Inec Cancelled April 9 Elections In Some Sections Of The Country / If Jonathan Wins We're Going To Look For Kalashnikovs, Bazookas... / Security Vote For Governors: What Does It Mean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.