Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,799 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take (3559 Views)

'I Am The Reason Your Boyfriend Is Always Coming Home Late' - Lady / Nigerian Men Abroad, How Did You Choose Your Significant Half? / Nigerian Men Abroad Takes A Transgender Woman Home Mistakenly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by jedisco(m): 11:19pm On Sep 27, 2020
Of late, much has been said of how Nigerian ladies destroy their men when they get abroad and of course, the usual nairaland women bashing was rampant on such threads. I decided to repost a thought I has on this and follow up views

What many people forget are certain things I'd outline for clarity.

1. Being married in the west is different from marriage in Nigeria. That is what many don't get. Just as with kids, no matter how 'African' and disciplined you claim to be, don't go about using whips on your kids or you'd get into serious issues. Same applies with marriage. People want to get married in the west but want to lord it all as in Nigeria

2. To add to the point above. Most naija guys would go out and treat younger European kids with respect and dignity but they come home and want their wives to kneel and serve them. Most ladies would see how u treat their fellows outside and take a cue.

3. There are multiple privileges that come with being a man in Nigeria that no one would give in the West.
There is nothing that the Nigerian lady did that an average white lady wouldn't do and exceed. If in doubt, ask the white married dudes what they pass through. It's in Nigeria that a married man would have lots of girlfriends and the wife would know and do nothing.

4. Another phrase getting common on nairaland is that 'most Nigerian ladies are entitled'. I'd hazard to say that if you think they're entitled, then you've not come across a white lady living in the west. You can ask the average white lady what they think about the roles we've come to expect from ladies in Nigeria

5. There are lots of success stories with Nigerian marriages. Most successful marriages are based on compatibility. Fact is for most Nigerians who grew up in Nigeria, they'd be most compatible with a fellow Nigerian and hence having likelihood of long lasting relationships with them.

6. They're are lots of things that are taken for granted with a Nigerian brought up lady that would be major issues if it was a white counterpart e.g maintaining a relationship with relatives, model of training ones kids, maintaining ones heritage in their offspring, food, domestic chores e.t.c.
Except if you're marrying for survival (papers) but if you're standing on both feet, it'd be difficult to gel with the average white lady for a long-term relationship. Good luck finding a British lady that would rather spend her summer touring your 'boring' relatives in Nigeria than vacationing somewhere else
I'm not even talking about Asians, cos they too have a very strong cultural background.

7. In the US, it seems there's a pattern with Nigerian nurses. But it seems some guys idea of bringing a lady over is for her to work as (or train her to be) a nurse, make much more that him while he expects her to bring it back for them to spend, and he'd still Lord ot over her like they were back in Nigeria. In the west, the society would not expect a lady to remain in such a relationship for the sake of being married.

8. Finally, the fact is that a good number (didn't say all or majority) of Nigerian dudes abroad are in the lower economic classes and take up humble jobs. But these same dudes want to get married to a lady and not be humble at home. They want to be Hitler at home but outside they become doves...

I agree that some ladies are the devil's incarnate and would bring anyone down. But that trait is not shared by Nigerian ladies alone or by one sex for that matter.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by jedisco(m): 11:19pm On Sep 27, 2020
Further facts...

1. Let's look at the average white lady. This is someone who was trained differently from her Nigerian counterpart, who was trained to speak her mind on whatever/to whoever without fear right from childhood, someone who was  never physically scolded as an average Nigerian child. This person has grown up and due to media influence thinks Nigeria is worse than how we see it, thinks we still run around naked killing ourselves and pay our life savings for an opportunity to be transported across the ocean (where most die) to handle menial jobs in their country. They have come to see blacks as being at the bottom of the economic chain. People who would do crazy jobs just to survive.

I then find it amusing that a Nigerian dude bred in Nigeria would think he'd be happily able to handle such a lady and that she'd 'submit' to him....and guess what... that's the average one not the crazy ones.

This is someone who knows your forefathers were so gullible that they sold their sons and daughters in exchange for combs and mirrors

2. Look at this scenario; consider the average Nigerian dude as someone from Niger who migrated to Nigeria to 'hustle'. This may be someone who has four wives who are so subdued that he could easily divorce any by simply saying "I divorce you" three times but still thinks they're stubborn. It's then the Anambra/Imo Igbo lady in IMSU he wants to get married to and control

3. For 99% of Nigerian dudes in the west who are standing on their feet with valid papers, if you look at the average Nigerian family setting as what you want to have, then it is mainly a Nigerian lady or a lady from a similar African country that would avail you such

4. Of course, if you're looking to survive, you can eat someone's poo but bear in mind that you'd see hell under that person cos they're not stupid. After you finally get the 'paper' you'd run for freedom and look for a 9ja lady

5. The fact is that almost all successful Nigerian men in the west are married to Nigerian ladies.... there's a reason for that.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by jedisco(m): 11:19pm On Sep 27, 2020
When you settle down with an average Western lady, then you'd likely notice yourself praying for the problems your average Nigerian lady would give...

Take some examples...

With a Nigerian lady, you both may be arguing about how often your parent/her parent would come over and budget for that. For a white lady, she does not even understand why your mum or dad wants to leave Nigeria and come over talk more of budgeting for such.

With a Nigerian lady, you both may be arguing about how often she'd cook fresh food or eat semi-processed food. With her white counterpart, it'd be at least 50-50 spread between you both to cook

This is not even considering the occasions where you msy have dinner with her family snd be the only black person on the tabke with its attendant effects. When you 'make it', you wouldn't want your kids to pass through some trash or discrimination among relatives.

Only a Nigerian lafy (or of similar background) would understand and appreciate the struggle you went through to migrate. The problem is that some Nigerian men want to be 100% traditional men in a White mans land

There are lots of reasons why once Nigerian dudes xan get on thrir feet, they look home

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Joyjerry: 11:50pm On Sep 27, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 27, 2020
most new generation nigerian guys i know are certainly not coming home to pick wives.the few u see who come home to pick girls are those who left their girlfriends back home while on their foreign trip.many guys are wise now and learning from the mistake of their predesors .One of my guy who left since 2016 is married to a mexican lady.he has a child with the lady now.Sometimes when i jokingly ask him if he will go back to naija to pick to pick a homebased wife he always say no and that he satisfied with his wife in the US.So men are learning from their mistakes cheesy

19 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 28, 2020
jedisco:
When you settle down with an average Western lady, then you'd likely notice yourself praying for the problems your average Nigerian lady would give...

Take some examples...

With a Nigerian lady, you both may be arguing about how often your parent/her parent would come over and budget for that. For a white lady, she does not even understand why your mum or dad wants to leave Nigeria and come over talk more of budgeting for such.

With a Nigerian lady, you both may be arguing about how often she'd cook fresh food or eat semi-processed food. With her white counterpart, it'd be at least 50-50 spread between you both to cook

This is not even considering the occasions where you msy have dinner with her family snd be the only black person on the tabke with its attendant effects. When you 'make it', you wouldn't want your kids to pass through some trash or discrimination among relatives.

Only a Nigerian lafy (or of similar background) would understand and appreciate the struggle you went through to migrate. The problem is that some Nigerian men want to be 100% traditional men in a White mans land

There are lots of reasons why once Nigerian dudes xan get on thrir feet, they look home
all these assumptions una dey use on white girls ehn cheesy..who told u she wouldnt want ur parents to visit.Exept maybe if ur siblings are naturally trouble makers and ur mom is a replica of a patience ozokwor.And take note any woman who does not like ur siblings weda she is white,black,akata,green or whatever she is not a good woman and u shoudlnt be wiving such a woman

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by prince2pac(m): 12:23am On Sep 28, 2020
lefulefu:
all these assumptions una dey use on white girls ehn cheesy..who told u she wouldnt want ur parents to visit.Exept maybe if ur siblings are naturally trouble makers and ur mom is a replica of a patience ozokwor.And take note any woman who does not like ur siblings weda she is white,black,akata,green or whatever she is not a good woman and u shoudlnt be wiving such a woman
That your last statement na confirm... I have these two white girls if mine... when ever we are on video call and they haven't spoken with everyone around that call never start... and like you said, all these are assumptions... person weh like you, don like you... no be my Brit girl I de teach how to cook okra last three weeks.... she too like food... so always like I want to know how to cook this or that...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 28, 2020
prince2pac:
That your last statement na confirm... I have these two white girls if mine... when ever we are on video call and they haven't spoken with everyone around that call never start... and like you said, all these are assumptions... person weh like you, don like you... no be my Brit girl I de teach how to cook okra last three weeks.... she too like food... so always like I want to know how to cook this or that...
yes nau..there are white girls who learn how to cook foreign menus of the men they are married to..there some who even learn how to prepare mediterean and african diets just for fun.op hasnt met italian and eastern european girls thats why he's sounding ignorant.And even american women that many ppl would say dont cook there many who prepare home made meals.havent u heard about country girls in the south?
Have u not heard about Martha Stewart?
Martha Stewart is american and she is rich and she had a cooking show back in the day where she cooked her own meals
what is even funny is that many westerners are now seeing the dangers of eating junk with the advent of obesity and child obesity and many are now doing home made meals for their families whole we africans are now embracing junk and eating unhealthy meals outside
date a ukranian or iranian girl and u would see she is no different from a homebred african woman
Its not only african women who cook for their kids
other women in other regions also cook

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by prince2pac(m): 12:44am On Sep 28, 2020
lefulefu:
yes nau..there are white girls who learn how to cook foreign menus of the men they are married to..there some who even learn how to prepare mediterean and african diets just for fun.op hasnt met italian and eastern european girls thats why he's sounding ignorant.And even american women that many ppl would say dont cook there many who prepare home made meals.havent u heard about country girls in the south?
Have u not heard about Martha Stewart?
Martha Stewart is american and she is rich and she had a cooking show back in the day where she cooked her own meals
what is even funny is that many westerners are now seeing the dangers of eating junk with the advent of obesity and child obesity and many are now doing home made meals for their families whole we africans are now embracing junk and eating unhealthy meals outside
date a ukranian or iranian girl and u would see she is no different from a homebred african woman
Its not only african women who cook for their kids
other women in other regions also cook
I tell you bro, this girl likes cooking... since we met I have never heard her talking of all those junk.. she had to go to an African market there to get the ingredients she needed for okra... egusi is her next target.. although her okra wasn't really great... but her zeal... oh I love her

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by tobechi74: 12:47am On Sep 28, 2020
jedisco:
Of late, much has been said of how Nigerian ladies destroy their men when they get abroad and of course, the usual nairaland women bashing was rampant on such threads. I decided to repost a thought I has on this and follow up views

1. Being married in the west is different from marriage in Nigeria. That is what many don't get. Just as with kids, no matter how 'African' and disciplined you claim to be, don't go about using whips on your kids or you'd get into serious issues. Same applies with marriage. People want to get married in the west but want to lord it all as in Nigeria

2. To add to the point above. Most naija guys would go out and treat younger European kids with respect and dignity but they come home and want their wives to kneel and serve them. Most ladies would see how u treat their fellows outside and take a cue.

3. There are multiple privileges that come with being a man in Nigeria that no one would give in the West.
There is nothing that the Nigerian lady did that an average white lady wouldn't do and exceed. If in doubt, ask the white married dudes what they pass through. It's in Nigeria that a married man would have lots of girlfriends and the wife would know and do nothing.

4. Another phrase getting common on nairaland is that 'most Nigerian ladies are entitled'. I'd hazard to say that if you think they're entitled, then you've not come across a white lady living in the west. You can ask the average white lady what they think about the roles we've come to expect from ladies in Nigeria

5. There are lots of success stories with Nigerian marriages. Most successful marriages are based on compatibility. Fact is for most Nigerians who grew up in Nigeria, they'd be most compatible with a fellow Nigerian and hence having likelihood of long lasting relationships with them.

6. They're are lots of things that are taken for granted with a Nigerian brought up lady that would be major issues if it was a white counterpart e.g maintaining a relationship with relatives, model of training ones kids, maintaining ones heritage in their offspring, food, domestic chores e.t.c.
Except if you're marrying for survival (papers) but if you're standing on both feet, it'd be difficult to gel with the average white lady for a long-term relationship. Good luck finding a British lady that would rather spend her summer touring your 'boring' relatives in Nigeria than vacationing somewhere else
I'm not even talking about Asians, cos they too have a very strong cultural background.

7. In the US, it seems there's a pattern with Nigerian nurses. But it seems some guys idea of bringing a lady over is for her to work as (or train her to be) a nurse, make much more that him while he expects her to bring it back for them to spend, and he'd still Lord ot over her like they were back in Nigeria. In the west, the society would not expect a lady to remain in such a relationship for the sake of being married.

8. Finally, the fact is that a good number (didn't say all or majority) of Nigerian dudes abroad are in the lower economic classes and take up humble jobs. But these same dudes want to get married to a lady and not be humble at home. They want to be Hitler at home but outside they become doves...

I agree that some ladies are the devil's incarnate and would bring anyone down. But that trait is not shared by Nigerian ladies alone or by one sex for that matter.
at the end union ends in divorce
Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Nobody: 3:20am On Sep 28, 2020
Most Nigerians with Canadian pr rarely marry white they only date them. When you marry for papers it ia normal to treat the white babe differently unlike 9ja babe wey you go bring angry
Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by ifejobi84754: 3:31am On Sep 28, 2020
majority Nigerians with canada rm rarely marry caucasians they only date them. When you marry for documents it ia normalcy to treat the caucasians babe differently unlike 9ja babe wey you go bring
Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Nobody: 5:21am On Sep 28, 2020
There is no doubt that some Nigerian wives abroad are evil but sometimes, take a good look at their husbands.

Oftentimes, our Nigerian "[i]businessmen[/i]" abroad bring young wives as their retirement packages. grin

When the hidden reason for marrying and bringing somebody's daughter abroad is a mischievous one, karma will surely give the man a golddigger for a wife.

Some of these our older brothers were mostly doing "businesses" abroad and wasting the proceeds when the goings were good. No job, no fall back plans and they were mostly efulefus back in the day going from one party to another. Their mates today are police captains, military colonels, senior government employees, business managers and senior medical workers but our brothers after acquiring irrelevant educational degrees with accumulated student loans, started sending cars back to Nigeria making fast money and never planned for old age.

As soon as the so called "businesses" started going south, they hurriedly went back to Naija at over 50yrs of age, married some young village girls to be trained as nurses and settled at home before the television waiting for them to be doing account like Oga wey give pesin keke Napep on hire purchase forgetting that there's a word like revolution in the dictionary.

Even some young men today don't wanna be useful to themselves and their young families. They won't hold steady jobs, won't help their wives at home to the extent that their wives work two jobs with all the overtime and still pay for childcare whereas the husbands sit idle at home claiming to be businessmen.

With their attitudes, they end up making good women (in some occasions) turn to evil witches out of frustration.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by southernbelle(f): 6:21am On Sep 28, 2020
Very valid points OP.
Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Alexgeneration(m): 7:08am On Sep 28, 2020
Who is deceiving you that Nigerian men are still coming back home to pick a wife in this day and age. Please wake up, cos they're no longer making that costly mistake.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by luvbane: 8:50am On Sep 28, 2020
These generalizations are nuts... Majority of the Nigerian men in the US are doing great for themselves. They work in IT, are engineers, doctors and business owners. Sure, success is not a guarantee for all but my goodness it drives me nuts to see black people dogging each other.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Ishilove: 8:27pm On Sep 28, 2020
J111333:
There is no doubt that some Nigerian wives abroad are evil but sometimes, take a good look at their husbands.

Oftentimes, our Nigerian "[i]businessmen[/i]" abroad bring young wives as their retirement packages. grin

When the hidden reason for marrying and bringing somebody's daughter abroad is a mischievous one, karma will surely give the man a golddigger for a wife.

Some of these our older brothers were mostly doing "businesses" abroad and wasting the proceeds when the goings were good. No job, no fall back plans and they were mostly efulefus back in the day going from one party to another. Their mates today are police captains, military colonels, senior government employees, business managers and senior medical workers but our brothers after acquiring irrelevant educational degrees with accumulated student loans, started sending cars back to Nigeria making fast money and never planned for old age.

As soon as the so called "businesses" started going south, they hurriedly went back to Naija at over 50yrs of age, married some young village girls to be trained as nurses and settled at home before the television waiting for them to be doing account like Oga wey give pesin keke Napep on hire purchase forgetting that there's a word like revolution in the dictionary.

Even some young men today don't wanna be useful to themselves and their young families. They won't hold steady jobs, won't help their wives at home to the extent that their wives work two jobs with all the overtime and still pay for childcare whereas the husbands sit idle at home claiming to be businessmen.
Well said. You hit the nail on the head

With their attitudes, they end up making good women (in some occasions) turn to evil witches out of frustration.
The opposite of evil is 'saintliness' , so since a witch is by default evil, saying 'evil witch' is tautology.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by AfroKnight: 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2020
lefulefu:
most new generation nigerian guys i know are certainly not coming home to pick wives.the few u see who come home to pick girls are those who left their girlfriends back home while on their foreign trip.many guys are wise now and learning from the mistake of their predesors .One of my guy who left since 2016 is married to a mexican lady.he has a child with the lady now.Sometimes when i jokingly ask him if he will go back to naija to pick to pick a homebased wife he always say no and that he satisfied with his wife in the US.So men are learning from their mistakes cheesy

Gbam!

Bros, you know the 411.

The OP just posted a very unfair portrayal of naija men.

Naija babes are the real issue. Men no dey gree import wife again cos their wahala too much. Even those who relocated as singles. Marrying them is quite the risk.

Make I no too talk before dem face me.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 28, 2020
AfroKnight:

Gbam!

Bros, you know the 411.

The OP just posted a very unfair portrayal naija men.

Naija babes are the real issue. Men no dey gree import wife again cos their wahala too much. Even those who relocated as singles. Marrying them is quite the risk.

younger guys overseas have broadened their options.To be honest with u the nigerian guys i see overseas who tend to urge their ppl to look for wives for them are mostly men in their 60s and upwards.these ones don marry multiple times and divorced.In such cases they will now urge their ppl to look for one small girl for village or his ppl will force one small girl on him.Thats when u hear about such girls dumping them and going for younger men wen they finish from nursing or med school
Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by AfroKnight: 10:32pm On Sep 28, 2020
lefulefu:
younger guys overseas have broadened their options.To be honest with u the nigerian guys i see overseas who tend to urge their ppl to look for wives for them are mostly men in their 60s and upwards.these ones don marry multiple times and divorced.In such cases they will now urge their ppl to look for one small girl for village or his ppl will force one small girl on him.Thats when u hear about such girls dumping them and going for younger men wen they finish from nursing or med school

Chai! After training her through nursing school.

Naija babes no too get loyalty like that. Their family dey always push them to betray their husband. Na why men dey avoid them.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by mindpresh: 8:12am On Dec 23, 2020
jedisco:

LOL!!

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by odinson1(m): 8:22am On Dec 23, 2020
jedisco:

As far as the man is the one providing for her and the family,then he has every right to lord over his house

Most white ladies are independent and thats why there is equality in their homes

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by RuggedSniper: 1:08am On Dec 26, 2020
jedisco:

Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by cooooooks(m): 2:16am On Dec 26, 2020
This is a mashed-up article that does NOT apply to most Nigerians.

This topic is being flogged to death by people who know nothing about the situation and extrapolate isolated incidents to the entire tens of millions of Nigerians in the abroad.
Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by SavageResponse(m): 11:37pm On Dec 26, 2020
AfroKnight:

Gbam!

Bros, you know the 411.

The OP just posted a very unfair portrayal of naija men.

You dey fear? grin
Re: Nigerian Men Abroad Coming Home To Marry; My Take by HerrFrank(m): 7:40pm On Jan 25, 2021
jedisco:

Guy I do not know how or where you got your experience from but your perception is in part wrong. From all these things you have said, you obviously did nt do your home work very well.

Firstly, the word entitlement and the context within which you used the word------ No concordance. Let me confirm this here, Yes the average Nigerian woman (in fact, the average black person) has this stupid trait called sense of entitlement.

Oh he is my friend ooo, he could nt do this for me for free
My boyfriend could not buy me an iphone 12 pro max, he is not a good boyfriend
Oh, my brother has 2 phones. he could not even give me one.
Oh my husband does not spoil me enough, he does not love me.
oh my boyfriend does nt spend much on me, he is too stingy.

Who has all these traits or mentality? The average black woman or white woman?

Secondly, yes! most men here regret going home to bring a woman because when the women get here, they realize that there are lots of things to explore in the world couple with the fact that the western world provides the platform for a woman to do whatever she likes and still play the victim if need be. On the other hand, a woman by nature is more of a slave to emotions (which are controlled in large part by hormones) than a man. Here, she is forced to live the western live. The stress, the pressure, the fun, the isolation, all of these amplifies her (does not change her but brings out the real her). Here she portrays her unsensored character because things are happening so fast.

Thirdly, one thing you should know is that the reason most of these men regret their actions is not the fact they have bought the wrong commodity but because of the alternative forgone. Why would you use your hard earned money (and irreplaceable time) to invest in someone by giving them the platform to experience the world only to realize you have made a terrible mistake which could have be avoided if you had invested the money and time in something else (perhaps a business or even someone else).

Finally, Most people see this thing called marriage/union as transactional. Your investment or shares should be proportional to your dividends. The major reason most black men dont have issues with their white wives even when the women exhibit very bad altitude is because they didnt invest too much in it. Lets look at this from another angle " A man who is already financially stressed does not want to be emotionally stressed further".

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

A Hot Girl With Crossed Eyes (My Experience) / Why Do Men Fall Asleep Immediately After Having Sex / How To Satisfy A Woman Even With Small Pen!s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.