Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,361 members, 7,829,919 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth (5792 Views)

IMF Reviews Nigeria’s Economic Growth To 3.3% / 2019: PDP Will Bring Back Nigeria’s Economic Fortunes – Peter Obi / Nigeria's Economic Problems Not Created By Present Government - Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by TheRareGem1(f): 11:30am On Oct 05, 2020
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has described trust as critical to the nation’s economic growth.
He said the nation’s entire credit system was based on trust.

According to a statement on Sunday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, the Vice President made the remarks in a keynote address he delivered at the Nigeria Leadership Initiative webinar series with the theme “A national conversation on rebuilding our national values system.”

The statement was titled “Why merit is crucial to economic growth, by VP Osinbajo.”

Osinbajo was quoted as saying that before credit facility can be extended to a customer, there must be trust that he or she will repay.

He added that citizens will not pay taxes if they do not have the trust that government will not embezzle it.

Osinbajo said, “Economic growth rests upon the substructure of values. The basis of the entire credit system as we know it, is trust. Indeed, the word credit is derived from the Latin word ‘credere’ —to believe or to trust. For a credit facility to be extended to a person, trust is placed in the borrower and his or her willingness and ability to repay.

“When we say that there is a credit crunch, we are referring to a lack of trust. This has significant implications for the economy. Banks cannot lend to people when fraud is widespread, and enterprise and industry cannot flourish without credit.

“Financial institutions may also be reluctant to lend because they cannot trust that the government will remain consistent with regulatory policies. For the same reason, investors may be discouraged from investing. When we speak of investor confidence, we are merely describing the level of trust investors are willing to place in an environment.

“Citizens who do not trust that their taxes will not be embezzled due to official corruption are unlikely to see any value in paying their taxes. If people stop trusting the media, they are more likely to fall prey to merchants of fake news which can have a destabilizing effect on a nation.

“Where everyone is self-seeking, there can be no trust and without trust, it is impossible to sustain an open society. The significance of trust for the workings of the economy and society are far-reaching.”

Osinbajo said the country was in need of a value system that promotes national development.

He said such value system must be capable of engendering unity and a shared vision.

He added, “For purposes of national unity, for example, we must accept that unity and peace are important outcomes, but the condition predicate for both unity and peace is justice (both legal and social justice). So, in our context, justice includes the notions of fairness, equity, and equality.

“In our context, justice includes the notions of fairness, equity, equality and it is significant that our Constitution is actually replete with references to these themes.”
https://punchng.com/trust-key-to-nigerias-economic-growth-osinbajo/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1601843286

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Jafar1: 11:31am On Oct 05, 2020
No Nigerian politician has the right to talk about trust..

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by olaric(m): 11:49am On Oct 05, 2020
Trust; impossible to trust a government who doesn't believe or trust people from other regions because they are not from the Fulani or Hausa speaking area. Buhari as far as I am concerned, has lost the trust and confidence of Nigerians

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by dukeprince50: 11:50am On Oct 05, 2020
That word "Trust" and Nigerian politicians are not related in anyway.

They are not even neighbours

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Slawormir: 11:50am On Oct 05, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
This our mere house boy in Aso rock is talking too much nowadays
Trying to be acting like a star boy... probably for 2023 matter
The only star boy we know is WizKid and the weekend

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by ozueozue(m): 11:50am On Oct 05, 2020
Who else view the word TRUST weird coming from a Nigerian Politician?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by tollyboy5(m): 11:50am On Oct 05, 2020
Lemme not talk pass my mouth to pastor. But keep quiet! Plz. After reading this I got home and noticed one bag of rice is now #1300. cheesy
Pls keep quiet so that rice will not loose value undecided

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by mbahdi(m): 11:50am On Oct 05, 2020
This short man devil again wey my British dog tall pass no go keep shut

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Seequadry(m): 11:50am On Oct 05, 2020
Óò really

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by omowolewa: 11:51am On Oct 05, 2020
Now that baba is talking boldly of recent ,am happy for you o
Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by AmotekunSW: 11:51am On Oct 05, 2020
I remember when that useless bleached 4boki boy in Kano called Osinbajo VP Academics and Abba Kyari VP Admin. Where is Kyari today? Where is the bleached 4boki boy today?

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Racoon(m): 11:51am On Oct 05, 2020
Even VP Osinbajo does not trust himself.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 05, 2020
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by teamsynergy: 11:52am On Oct 05, 2020
You are asking for too much oGa..

Many people trusted this administration, and that is why you are in office today..

You need to redeem yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Hambivert: 11:52am On Oct 05, 2020
Sparogatively, 200 million Nigerians trusted this administration to save them from 16 years of corruption and maladministration but what did they do?

They raped the trust hardcore without CON dom SCIENCE and infected the unity we were managing with irreparable cracks!

So what kind of trust are they talking about again?

Is it Security trust, where SARS are killing innocents or where Boko Haram and Fulani herdsmen are claiming territories?
Is it Education where ASUU and FG have locked out students from their right to education?

What trust? Which trust? Where will it come from

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Iceberg3: 11:52am On Oct 05, 2020
All these people know how to do is talk and talk and give speech.... nothing else at all....zoo people

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by PureGoldh(m): 11:53am On Oct 05, 2020
Trust nii... believe ko

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Nuel19: 11:53am On Oct 05, 2020
Osinbanjo projecting himself for 2023 presidency.
Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Firstorderwizard(m): 11:54am On Oct 05, 2020
I will rather vote Buhari for third term than support SW presidency

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by aviara: 11:56am On Oct 05, 2020
Our darling VP prof Yemi Osinbajo has been very vocal in the media in the past few weeks. He seem to have found his lost voice. A prophecy by Apostle Johnson Suleiman said number two will become number one. I have done it before and will do it again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by MrColdsweat: 11:56am On Oct 05, 2020
This midget is talking about justice but has completely kept shut at the marginalization and injustice metted towards the igbos in his administration.

Shameless midget.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Nazgul: 11:57am On Oct 05, 2020
Trust a government that lied its way into power and is still lying to it's citizens. Forcing us to pay through our noses for basic amenities we can't even enjoy.

It's not your fault Sha, you're part of the government so you'll obviously want to speak rationally and make we the masses look like fools. Just know that God's judgment will fall on all of you

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Otisker(m): 11:57am On Oct 05, 2020
I see no sense in what Osinbanjo said. So we should rely on trust for the economy to improve.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by sammy7410(m): 11:57am On Oct 05, 2020
Leave them

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by zoedew: 11:58am On Oct 05, 2020
No basis exists as we speak for such trust until the restructuring of the nation is had along regional lines via the 6 geopolitical zones of Nigeria with a weak centre and part-time legislators who earn nothing but sitting allowances and accommodation payable by FG and transport by the Regional Government when they meet three times a year. That is the way to go. Cattle nomads who love that life can continue that way while those who can’t do without eating but are too lazy to ranch cattle will be content to pay through the nose to buy them from the cattle nomads up North.
Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by SATANNIST: 11:58am On Oct 05, 2020
even greek and hausa for this type of gallop wey be say my bro is not even intereted in what they are saying and saying my principle is a bank with gtb, who wan pay am the money? please if you like even greek and hausa for this type of gallop wey be say my bro is not even intereted in what they are saying and saying my principle is a bank with gtb, who wan pay am the money? please if you like to bulala in a lambarika na who go pay. no tell me na who go pay\? buhari and jonathan obasanjo for abacha time no galiropo even yaradua sef know am to bulala in a lambarika na who go pay. no tell me na who go pay\? buhari and jonathan obasanjo for abacha time no galiropo even yaradua sef know am. no be play o, naija don scatter, idris gather am for under sink tell me say na tonto husband be am
Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by Elvictor: 11:59am On Oct 05, 2020
trust in Nigeria is a comic relief

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth by gasparpisciotta: 11:59am On Oct 05, 2020
Trust is a word that can never be associated with a Nigerian politician.

Even the populace use the word carefully amongst themselves

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC In Race To Hold March 26 Convention, Battles Injunctions / Industrialisation Will Unlock Nigeria’s Wealth - Aganga / These Photos Will Make Your Weekend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.