Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,540 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? (3685 Views)

APC Party Leaders Courtesy Visit To OBJ Residence Earlier Today (PHOTOS) / VIDEO: Buhari Show Your Certificate / Posters Who Have Lost My Respect In The Politics Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 11:26pm On Mar 06, 2011
It is customary for presidential candidates to show that they are ethnically unbiased and can reach with all Nigerians, regardless of ethnicity, religion or gender. Common ways of doing this include having strong male and female led campaigns, being neutral to religion, but most importantly, bonding with the people through donning their dress and taking part in their culture.

With the above in mind, why did both Buhari and Bakare not dress according to local traditional style in Port Harcourt? Isn't that a display of arrogance and a way of saying that Port Harcourt and its indigenes do not count in Nigeria?

How come Buhari and Bakare never saw fit to visit any traditional ruler in Port Harcourt? Something they have repeatedly done in the North?
I only see echo's of the sort of bigotry that led to Buhari's jailing of Ekwueme (the Igbo Vice President to Shagari) in Kiri Kiri maximum prison, while President Shagari (a Fulani like Buhari) was kept in house arrest under plush conditions in uptown Ikoyi, after Buhari's coup to overthrow them.

Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:33pm On Mar 06, 2011
With the above in mind, why did both Buhari and Bakare not dress according to local traditional style in Port Harcourt? Isn't that a display of arrogance and a way of saying that Port Harcourt and its indigenes do not count in Nigeria?

No. Not really. He's a politician, not an actor.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by MAYOWAAK: 11:43pm On Mar 06, 2011
Another thread where idiocy contended with absurdity and both emerged triumphant.THE HOOD DOES NOT MAKE THE MONK.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 11:46pm On Mar 06, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

No. Not really. He's a politician, not an actor.

Acting is about the stage, but politics is about people and their values. You connect to people by showing respect, tolerance and acceptance of their traditions and culture. Instead, Bakare dressed in SW attire and Buhari in Hausa attire, even worse, 80% of their guests were dressed in Hausa attire.

I am at pains why the duo visited traditional rulers in the North and didn't see fit to do so down South, or were they being actors in the North? Both Bakare and Buhari dressed in Hausa attire in Kaduna as well, were they being actors?
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by 9ijaMan: 11:51pm On Mar 06, 2011
U de vex?:

Acting is about the stage, but politics is about people and their values. You connect to people by showing respect, tolerance and acceptance of their traditions and culture. Instead, Bakare dressed in SW attire and Buhari in Hausa attire, even worse, 80% of their guests were dressed in Hausa attire.

I am at pains why the duo visited traditional rulers in the North and didn't see fit to do so down South, or were they being actors in the North? Both Bakare and Buhari dressed in Hausa attire in Kaduna as well, were they being actors?

You GEJ dim wits are so jobless to the point of now discussing attires! Lord have mercy!
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:15am On Mar 07, 2011
U de vex?:

Why shouldn't they be who they are? Why should they pretend to act like those that they aren't? I don't understand the indignation about them being only themselves here.

What known/prominent traditional rulers are in Port Harcourt? I'm asking out of honest ignorance. I don't know of any.

If there are traditional rulers in Port Harcourt that are more than village chiefs, maybe they didn't visit them because they would have to request in advance for an audience with the traditional rulers, which could take a while to get a response, and they would have to visit all the prominent rulers so as not to slight anybody.

What's the traditional Port Harcourt attire?
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 12:15am On Mar 07, 2011
9ijaMan:

You GEJ dim wits are so jobless to the point of now discussing attires! Lord have mercy!

Dude, a campaigners attitude to cultures outside his own tell a great deal about his mindset. In this case, we have Buhari who wore Hausa clothes in the North and visited traditional rulers, not having the simple courtesy to do the same in Port Harcourt.
It might not seem so to you, but it speaks volumes to the discerning.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 12:21am On Mar 07, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Why shouldn't they be who they are? Why should they pretend to act like those that they aren't? I don't understand the indignation about them being only themselves here.

What known/prominent traditional rulers are in Port Harcourt? I'm asking out of honest ignorance. I don't know of any.

If there are traditional rulers in Port Harcourt that are more than village chiefs, maybe they didn't visit them because they would have to request in advance for an audience with the traditional rulers, which could take a while to get a response, they would have to visit all the prominent rulers so as not to slight anybody.

Pictures speak in ways words cannot. Here is GEJ with Rivers state traditional rulers and Amaechi:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/322170_Rivers_elders_2733565_166841_5880938_n_jpgd21477e0aa9523f92a1eb0485225fc12
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:27am On Mar 07, 2011
1. Who are those people? Do you even know them?

2. Which of these style of outfits should Buhari and Bakare have worn? The type that Governor Amaechi and Goodluck Jonathan wear?

3. You can't wear just any traditional gear in some places when you don't have the necessary status/title to do so. Just pointing that out. Not that that was the reason, but it's something to take into account.

4. The guy in the blue looks silly. Just for the record.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Nobody: 12:34am On Mar 07, 2011
this ridiculous thread highlights the actions of gej

Acting is about the stage, but politics is about people and their values. You connect to people by showing respect, tolerance and acceptance of their traditions and culture

small wonder the man is hob nobbing with theives, he doesn't wish to offend their sensibilities,

he has shown far too much respect tolerance and acceptance for the culture of greed, incompetence, profligacy and avarice that characterized our political class

what is there to celebrate in gek's wasting of our state resources by sewing multiple traditional attires?

even worse, the money for this goes to mali/senegal - remeber his aides include senegalese and malian tailors

bloody dunces ,

i swear, with the calibre of minds representing gej on nairaland, i shudder to think of the years of idiocy that lie ahead if the man is elected
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 12:44am On Mar 07, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

1. Who are those people? Do you even know them?

2. Which of these style of outfits should Buhari and Bakare have worn? The type that Governor Amaechi and Goodluck Jonathan wear?

3. You can't wear just any traditional gear in some places when you don't have the necessary status/title to do so. Just pointing that out. Not that that was the reason, but it's something to take into account.

Most of your questions are irrelevant. I am sure GEJ did not need to know them before showing his respect to the people by seeking audience with their traditional representatives. Thats one the easiest ways for a leader to identify with the masses, others are wearing their attire and at least attempting to say a few words in their language.

In stark contrast to his demeaning display in Port Harcourt, here is the very same Buhari in Kaduna (by the way, I don't know who that traditional ruler is):

www.nairaland.com/attachments/402205_180927_133201356749818_116280281775259_204040_8268521_n_jpg49506b4869fd2b1dbf6072705da26983

www.nairaland.com/attachments/402204_183499_133201256749828_116280281775259_204039_2135951_n_jpg41599e0adcff6bc4001b04a815bed06a

Something is clearly amiss. No?
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:49am On Mar 07, 2011
1. Nothing is amiss. It's known that there is an emir of Kaduna. Who are those gentlemen in Port Harcourt?

2. Stating that GEJ did not know the traditional representatives he was greeting and hobnobbing with when he went to use them for good publicity makes GEJ look both dumb and opportunistic. You might want to retract that assertion.

3. If those traditional rulers in Port Harcourt have already stood to pose with GEJ, wouldn't it make them seem like snakes to later pose with Buhari at his rally, after already standing to pose with a son of the Niger Delta? There may be more to this than meets the eye. Who says the traditional ruler in the silly blue outfit wants to be seen with Buhari?
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Abagworo(m): 12:52am On Mar 07, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

If there are traditional rulers in Port Harcourt that are more than village chiefs, maybe they didn't visit them because they would have to request in advance for an audience with the traditional rulers, which could take a while to get a response, they would have to visit all the prominent rulers so as not to slight anybody.

Frankly the truth remains that there is no traditional ruler of Port-Harcourt and there is also no agreed attire.This runs across the river into Southeast.Every small town has a traditional ruler known as "Nyenweali" which literally means "Landlord" and there are a thousand and one "Nyenwealis".

I think Buhari's campaign was restricted for security reasons.He however visited the Obiri of the Nyeweli of my own area.The youths were excited and cheered his envoy but I can confidently put it out here that 90% said they like Buhari but will vote GEJ for sentimental reasons once PDP shares money.They said Buhari is either poor or stingy.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:55am On Mar 07, 2011
Abagworo:

Frankly the truth remains that there is no traditional ruler of Port-Harcourt and there is also no agreed attire.This runs across the river into Southeast.Every small town has a traditional ruler known as "Nyenweali" which literally means "Landlord" and there are a thousand and one "Nyenwealis".

I think Buhari's campaign was restricted for security reasons.He however visited the Obiri of the Nyeweli of my own area.The youths were excited and cheered his envoy but I can confidently put it out here that 90% said they like Buhari but will vote GEJ for sentimental reasons once PDP shares money.They said Buhari is either poor or stingy.

Thanks for the info. I guess the OP's original claim was false. Buhari did indeed reach out to at least one Nyenweali. He couldn't of course, have visited a thousand and one of them, so he probably visited only the most prominent ones.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 1:02am On Mar 07, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Thanks for the info. I guess the OP's original claim was false. Buhari did indeed reach out to at least one Nyenweali. He couldn't of course, have visited a thousand and one of them, so he probably visited only the most prominent ones.

No, the OP is clearly correct. Your point of view seems to make the emir of Kaduna more important to his culture than the traditional rulers in Port Harcourt are to theirs. Why?

Quite clearly, others have been able to visit the traditional representatives of the people, without them being some mega emirs. In so many ways, it tells who really cares for the smaller man. Obviously, Buhari doesn't give a toss.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by 9ijaMan: 1:09am On Mar 07, 2011
U de vex?:

No, the OP is clearly correct. Your point of view seems to make the emir of Kaduna more important to his culture than the traditional rulers in Port Harcourt are to theirs. Why?

Quite clearly, others have been able to visit the traditional representatives of the people, without them being some mega emirs. In so many ways, it tells who really cares for the smaller man. Obviously, Buhari doesn't give a toss.

Kaduna does not have an emire o! That man is probably Etsu Nupe in Bida or the Etsu of Lapai! Go to the BB campaign website for more info!
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:27am On Mar 07, 2011
I guess I was wrong about the emir of Kaduna. There's an emir of Jama'a, whoever that is.

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS7712.htm
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:30am On Mar 07, 2011
U de vex?:

Stop slanting my view. I was just saying that if rulers were relatively unknown, prominent politicians wouldn't call on them for visits.

Anyways, Buhari did visit one Nyenweali, so what are you saying about Buhari "not giving a toss"?

I'm not a Buharist, by the way. I just think that the opening post was unfair propaganda.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 11:20pm On Mar 07, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Stop slanting my view. I was just saying that if rulers were relatively unknown, prominent politicians wouldn't call on them for visits.

Anyways, Buhari did visit one Nyenweali, so what are you saying about Buhari "not giving a toss"?

I'm not a Buharist, by the way. I just think that the opening post was unfair propaganda.

I have not slanted your views in any way. Its just a bit difficult to keep maintaining a position that has been flattened with pictorial and other factual evidence. we have seen Buhari visiting unknown traditional rulers, nobody here seems to know those he was photographed with in kaduna; so why was that feat not repeated in Port Harcourt?
If Buhari visited one Nyenweali, where is the picture, or isn't his campaign proud of it? The Nyenweali claim is an empty one, Buhari simply snubbed Southern traditional rulers.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:55pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^

So Abagworo is a liar according to you?

So Buhari and Bakare should have dressed traditionally when there is no common attire at the place they are visiting?

Are you a paid agent? Just wondering.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by otokx(m): 11:58pm On Mar 07, 2011
port harcourt being a metropolis has no ruler so poster premise is flawed. if buhari goes to bonny he will pay his dues to the amanayabo of grand bonny kingdom, his royal majesty.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 12:05am On Mar 08, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

^^^

So Abagworo is a liar according to you?

So Buhari and Bakare should have dressed traditionally when there is no common attire at the place they are visiting?

Are you a paid agent? Just wondering.

So, anyone that beats you in an argument is a paid agent (whatever that means)?
No need for the rudeness. Let Abagworo defend himself with pictures or links (I bet he can't), I can do that quite easily for several traditional rulers in the North during the current campaign.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:26am On Mar 08, 2011
How can he produce pictures of an event that he couldn't have been present at unless he was involved with the Nyenweali's court or staff and which has already happened?

At least you've dropped the claim about clothing/attire, which you just assumed without knowing the place.

I asked you if you were a paid agent because I've never seen someone argue so doggedly and in an such an unyielding manner about injustice with so little to be indignant about.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 12:55am On Mar 08, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

How can he produce pictures of an event that he couldn't have been present at unless he was involved with the Nyenweali's court or staff and which has already happened?

At least you've dropped the claim about clothing/attire, which you just assumed without knowing the place.

I asked you if you were a paid agent because I've never seen someone argue so doggedly and in an such an unyielding manner about injustice with so little to be indignant about.

IMHO, you asked me if I was a paid agent (whatever that is), because you lost the argument and simply looked for an underhand way to get back. I wonder if you think opinions here are so golden that someone would part with money to manipulate them. I have never heard anything more ridiculous.

I have dropped no claims; the culture snub through Buhari's simple refusal to don a traditional outfit in PH claim and the snubbing of local traditional rulers remain intensely valid. They are both live, burning and unshaken.
In the meantime, you have relied heavily on hearsay from Abagworo, to the extent that you are making excuses for how he shouldn't be able to obtain photo evidence. There is every possibility that Abagworo was only being mischievous; making excuses for third parties (especially if as I guess, you don't know them) has a way of dumping one in the corn farm. Not good.

Lastly, your excuse that Abagworo was possibly not at the event, and likely hasn't the least bit of backup eveidence, is a promotion of hearsay as a tool of logic. Thats just raw.
Finally, I wasn't at any of Buhari's Northern campaigns, but I am able to conjure up photo evidence with ease. How? All of Buhari's campaign photo' are publicly available. So, the excuse you gave is untenable.
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:21am On Mar 08, 2011
^^^^^

rofl

Ok, buddy. Abagworo is the king of mischief, Buhari is a feudalistic Northern bigot, and they should have donned Goodluck Jonathan and Amaechi's outfit. Happy now? wink
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Mobinga: 1:24am On Mar 08, 2011
Have you been to a traditional rulers palace in Port Harcourt? Are you that dumb?
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:29am On Mar 08, 2011
Mobinga:

Have you been to a traditional rulers palace in Port Harcourt? Are you that dumb?

?

Is this at me, or the OP?
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Udevex: 2:04am On Mar 08, 2011
For the avoidance of doubt, this is a full list of First Class Rulers in Rivers (not some mere "Landlords" or from the ranks of a thousand and one "Nyenwealis". lol!!!):

i. His Eminence Sir (Dr) Chukumela Nnam Obi II – Oba (Eze Ogba) of Ogbaland (Chair)
ii. HM Eze (Flt Lt) Robinson O. Robinson – Eze Ekpeye Logbo
iii. HM Eze S.N Woluchem – Eze Epara Rebisi Port Harcourt
iv. HM Mene W.Z.D Nzidee – Gbenemene Nyo-Khana
v. HM King Edward Asimini William Dappa-Pepple III – Amanyanabo of Grand Bonny Kingdom
vi. HM Ochie E.N.B Opurum – Onye-Isi Etche
vii. HM Mene M.S.H Eguru – Gbenemene Ken-Khana
viii. HM King Mark Tsaro Igbara – Gbenemene Babba
ix. HM Amb King Sir Prof Frank A Eke – Eze Gbakagbaka Eze Oha Evo II
x. HM King Prof T.J.T Princewill Amachree XI – Amanyanabo of Kalabari
xi. HM King Dandeson Douglas Jaja – Amanyanabo of Opobo
xii. HM King Barnabas B.P Bagia – Gbenemene Gokana
xiii. HM King Godwin N.K Gininwa – Gbenemene Tai
xiv. HM King Samuel Oluka Ejire – Oneh-Eh Eleme X
xv. HM Eze Blessing Ahiazunwo Wagor – Nye New-Eli Isiokpo
xvi. HM King Kaleb O. Monday Obuge – Oda-Abuan of Abua Kingdom
xvii. HM Eze Amb. Sir S.N Wali – Eze Oha Apara III
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by rasputinn(m): 8:17am On Mar 08, 2011
Mmm,mmm Bakare has gone back to Buhari's vomit,the same Buhari he said was not the solution to Nigeria's problem
Well,I think that is one prophecy of his that will come true
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Plutarch: 8:43am On Mar 08, 2011
Dwindling foreign reserve, worsening education standard,poor security,poor power supply,large scale poverty,monumental corruption yet somebody is here talking about how a Politician who cant pretend is dressed. So trivial.

Yes i believe the we Nigerians deserve d bad leadership that has been plaguing us,if after 12 years some pple can still be holding brief for PDP. It take a f.ool to do(elect) the same thing the same way and exepect a different result(governance). If we can allow PDP for 12yrs, why can we 'RISK' the next 4 years with another party?
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Nobody: 8:58am On Mar 08, 2011

LWKMD grin grin grin grin
Looks like Mr Ibu of Nollywood
Re: Why Didn't Buhari Show Expected Courtesy/Respect In Port Harcourt? by Genbuhari3: 9:42am On Mar 08, 2011
is Attire Nigeria's problem?

NSIMAN, U dey vex, Johndoe200, Beaf, all these usernames need to be audited. they all sound the same in the thinking.

Do you know how much it costs to sow attire of every state in the country? is this election a fashion parade?

Buhari Bakare are showing what governance should be? it is about prudence, simple and do the right thing.

Visiting traditional rulers in PH is subject to security considerations. Jonathan can visit sultan of sokot because he will shut down the city just like he did in Jos. But Buhari and Bakare are moving about with private security men. the rally of BB2011 had on 20 policemen in minna.

Well, they visited Rotimi Ameachi, is that not good enough?

Please discuss issues here, not attire. you make us look insane by even replying to you. buf if that is what will cure your madness, i can be insane for a second

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ Congratulates Capt Wada On Winning Koji Gov'ship Election / Buhari Drops Bombshell On Igbos & The Civil War / $30bn Loan: Igbo Demand Inclusion Of 2nd Niger Bridge Project, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.