Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice (5641 Views)

Jos Blasts: How Worshipper Sacrificed His Life For Us – Jingir / Naval Officer Who Died While Fighting Boko Haram Insurgents Buried / I Sacrificed My Presidential Ambition For Buhari –Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by Nobody: 9:51pm On Mar 07, 2011
Rear Admiral Allison Madueke (left)

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Madueke

Rear Admiral Allison Amaechina Madueke is a retired Nigerian naval officer. He was appointed military governor of Anambra State from January 1984 to August 1985, and then of Imo State until 1986. He later became Chief of Naval Staff.

Allison Madueke was born in 1944 in Oji River, Enugu State, and is of Igbo origin. He attended the Britannia Royal College, Dartmouth England and the School of Maritime Operations, Southwick. He became a Member of the Royal Institute of Navigation, London (MRIN) and Member of the Nautical Institute, London (MNI). He was later granted three honorary Doctorate degrees in Science from Enugu State University of Technology, and in Law from Abia State University [and in Business Administration from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka].

His second wife Diezani Allison-Madueke was the first female director of Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria, later to become Nigeria's minister of transportation on July 26, 2007 [and current Petroleum Resources Minister]

Naval career

Madueke studied at the Nigerian Defense Academy between 1964 and 1967. He served at the Embassy of Nigeria as Naval Attache in Washington DC, USA. After a military coup d'état overthrew civilian President Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983, as Navy Captain he was appointed governor of Anambra State from January 1984 to August 1985, and then of Imo State until 1986 during the military regimes of Generals Muhammadu Buhari and Ibrahim Babangida. Promoted to Rear Admiral, from 1993-1994 he served briefly as Chief of Naval Staff under General Sani Abacha. He was sacked after a Supreme Military Council meeting in August 1994 where he supported the release of the elected civilian president Moshood Abiola, who had been imprisoned after the coup that brought Abacha to power.

Later career

After retiring from the navy, Madueke became Chairman of Radam Maritime Services Ltd., executive chairman of Interconnect Clearinghouse and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the National ICT Merit Awards. He also was appointed to the boards of Regalia Nigeria Ltd, Excel E & P (Marginal Oil Fields) Ltd., Solid Rock Securities and Investments Ltd. and Image Consultants Ltd.

This is the quintessential accomplished, honourable Nigerian.

This man risked execution at the hands of Abacha to protest the treatment of MKO Abiola during the June 12th crisis.

The only member of Abacha's cabinet to stand up to him at meetings during the crisis, and say ''NO. THIS CANNOT GO ON. THIS IS NOT RIGHT.''

An Admiral of the first order who specialized in communications, he at one point in the early nineties, was in charge of the most powerful warship then commanded by a black man in the world, Nigeria's flagship frigate NNS Aradu. He led the ship with distinction, attending several successful naval exercises and combat training missions worldwide.

It is believed the only reason Abacha did not eliminate him was Abacha's own reluctance to lose one of the nation's finest and most internationally respected naval officers of the period.

A veritable credit to the Nigerian nation.

We salute you sir.

NNS Aradu

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by fstranger3(m): 10:00pm On Mar 07, 2011
Revisionists at work again

Arent you the same dunbo who claimed that Tinubu owned Oriental?

Rearing your ugly Ibo head again?
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 07, 2011
Hey, I'm just praising a man who deserves some praise, in a country where so many sell their conscience for money and wealth.

I've also praised Fashola and OBJ on this site so you can't really accuse me of being 'ethnically' selective.  cool

1 Like

Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by seanet02: 10:20pm On Mar 07, 2011
Wole Soyinka did not go to jail because of Biafra abi?
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by MaziUche0(m): 10:33pm On Mar 07, 2011
Shut up bigots and give credit when credit due.

Dammn some of you people are ungrateful.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by aloyemeka1: 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2011
Even though Sean02's question has nothing to do with the thread, he asked a viable question. Wole Soyinka spend 30 months in jail for Biafran cause.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by fstranger3(m): 11:00pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^^

Your people might forget, we will always remember

What about Fela?
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by MaziUche0(m): 11:00pm On Mar 07, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Even though Sean02's question has nothing to do with the thread, he asked a viable question. Wole Soyinka spend 30 months in jail for Biafran cause.

And we Igbos have mentioned this and given him thanks as well as Fela on countless occasions.

I have yet to see Yorubas give any Igbo credit to those who helped them.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-243343.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-546403.0.html
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by Katsumoto: 11:17pm On Mar 07, 2011
fstranger3:

Revisionists at work again

Arent you the same dunbo who claimed that Tinubu owned Oriental?

Rearing your ugly Ibo head again?

aloy/emeka:

[s]Even though Sean02's question has nothing to do with the thread, he asked a viable question. Wole Soyinka spend 30 months in jail for Biafran cause.[/s]

seanet02:

Wole Soyinka did not go to jail because of Biafra abi?

Come on now guys; must every thread turn into an e-battle? If a Nigerian, whether Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, or Kanuri does something commendable, we shouldn't have to denigrate him/her or make comparisons with others.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by aloyemeka1: 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

Come on now guys; must every thread turn into an e-battle? If a Nigerian, whether Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, or Kanuri does something commendable, we shouldn't have to denigrate him/her or make comparisons with others.

I am not denigrating the military officer but Wole Soyinka's contribution should be swept under the carpet. Also, Ambassador Ralph Obioha nearly lost his life over Abiola's cause until he was smuggled out of Nigeria through Seme border.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by Katsumoto: 11:26pm On Mar 07, 2011
aloy/emeka:

I am not denigrating the military officer but Wole Soyinka's contribution should be swept under the carpet. Also, Ambassador Ralph Obioha nearly lost his life over Abiola's cause until he was smuggled out of Nigeria through Seme border.

I wanted to quote Seanet02 not you; I apologise. I will rectify it.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by naijaking1: 11:54pm On Mar 07, 2011
I didn't know all these cool
Madueke, Obiorah, Soyinka, Gani, and others will surely make Tai Solarin very proud grin
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by bashr4: 11:57pm On Mar 07, 2011
its funny most igbo people do not know about such people yet we are accuses of sounding our trumpet all the time, nice thread
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by AljUche: 12:03am On Mar 08, 2011
good thread at least the bond between yoruba and igbo will be back to normal

I am a kanuri and i definitely commend the man for his bravery smiley
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by AljUche: 12:04am On Mar 08, 2011
bashr4:

its funny most igbo people do not know about such people yet we are accuses of sounding our trumpet all the time, nice thread

i like the signature cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin anambra power
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by naijaking1: 12:22am On Mar 08, 2011
This shows that despite some uninformed attempts by some on this N/L to emphasize Igbo vs Yoruba differences, the truth is that there has been a long history of heros on both sides who would "unsually" stand up for the truth, justice, and equity.
From Fajuyi to Madueke, we throw way salute grin grin grin
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by alex101(m): 12:23am On Mar 08, 2011
This is the biggest problem of the Igbo race- "oka n'ma na ama". Always trying to be a hero,,,,,,,from clowns like Nzeogwu and co,,,,,to a naive Aguyi Ironsi and to the greatest fool of all, mr. one nigeria himself- Zik embarassed  

This guy has no business advocating for the realeased of abiola angry Well Abacha did well by firing him. Abacha should have thrown him in jail as well. When
Uwazurike was jailed, did any non-Igbo advocate for his release? Thanks to senator Chukwumerije who fought for the release of the massob leader.

I have been saying this that the biggest problem for the Igbo man is always trying to do the right thing for everybody everytime, even at the detriment of the Igbo race! angry
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by jason123: 12:25am On Mar 08, 2011
alex101:

This is the biggest problem of the Igbo race- "oka n'ma na ama". Always trying to be a hero,,,,,,,from clowns like Nzeogwu and co,,,,,to a naive Aguyi Ironsi and to the greatest fool of all, mr. one nigeria himself- Zik embarassed  

This guy has no business advocating for the realeased of abiola angry Well Abacha did well by firing him. Abacha should have thrown him in jail as well. When
Uwazurike was jailed, did any non-Igbo advocate for his release? Thanks to senator Chukwumerije who fought for the release of the massob leader.

I have been saying this that the biggest problem for the Igbo man is always trying to do the right thing for everybody everytime, even at the detriment of the Igbo race! angry

You easily forgot Fajuyi, innit? But do you see other people saying "they play hero"? cool wink
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:35am On Mar 08, 2011
alex101:

Not to get involved (I'm not Yoruba or Igbo anyway), but I might as well point out something:

"Lagos — A rights group, Human Rights Defenders Network, HURIDEN, has called on the Federal Government to unconditionally release the detained MASSOB leader, Chief Ralph Uwazurike, just as it alleged that his continued detention is politically motivated.

It, however, raised alarm over the deteriorating health of Uwazurike, just as it accused a Governor from the South East of allegedly masterminding the continued detention of the MASSOB leader.

Also condemning the continued detention of the MASSOB leader, president of the Campaign for Democracy, CD, Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin said "it is glaring that Chief Uwazurike is a victim of political manipulation. He is suffering untold hardship and he is being illegally detained over spurious charges."

Addressing newsmen in Lagos, chairman of HURIDEN, Mr Ayodele Akele, alleged that the trial of Mr Uwazurike was politically motivated, noting that his transfer from the Owerri Prison to Kuje Prison, Abuja was a thing of worry."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201003240891.html

That's all.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by naijaking1: 12:38am On Mar 08, 2011
^^^
Thanks, keep the information coming cool
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by alex101(m): 12:38am On Mar 08, 2011
jason123:

You easily forgot Fajuyi, innit? But do you see other people saying "they play hero"? cool wink

This is not about Fajuyi (though I like him), but rather my comment was geared towards clowns in Igboland like this Madueke. He should have just kept quiet and loot like every other person in the Abacha regime. undecided

BTW, Diya is from abeokuta, just like abiola. So going by this, Diya should be the one doing the "abiola release-lobbying" and not him (Madueke).
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by alex101(m): 12:43am On Mar 08, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Not to get involved (I'm not Yoruba or Igbo anyway), but I might as well point out something:

"Lagos — A rights group, Human Rights Defenders Network, HURIDEN, has called on the Federal Government to unconditionally release the detained MASSOB leader, Chief Ralph Uwazurike, just as it alleged that his continued detention is politically motivated.

It, however, raised alarm over the deteriorating health of Uwazurike, just as it accused a Governor from the South East of allegedly masterminding the continued detention of the MASSOB leader.

Also condemning the continued detention of the MASSOB leader, president of the Campaign for Democracy, CD, Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin said "it is glaring that Chief Uwazurike is a victim of political manipulation. He is suffering untold hardship and he is being illegally detained over spurious charges."

Addressing newsmen in Lagos, chairman of HURIDEN, Mr Ayodele Akele, alleged that the trial of Mr Uwazurike was politically motivated, noting that his transfer from the Owerri Prison to Kuje Prison, Abuja was a thing of worry."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201003240891.html

That's all.
Thanks for the Info. Though this doesn't change my view on some stupid Igbos who are always trying to be hero.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by AljUche: 12:46am On Mar 08, 2011
alex101:

Thanks for the Info. Though this doesn't change my view on some silly Igbos who are always trying to be hero.
haba angry angry angry angry
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by jason123: 12:46am On Mar 08, 2011
alex101:

This is not about Fajuyi (though I like him), but rather my comment was geared towards clowns in Igboland like this Madueke. He should have just kept quiet and loot like every other person in the Abacha regime. undecided

BTW, Diya is from abeokuta, just like abiola. So going by this, Diya should be the one doing the "abiola release-lobbying" and not him (Madueke).

Yorubas are not partial to clans (except politically i.e who should rule the land). As long as you are yoruba, any yoruba will vouch for you or discriminate, it has nothing to do with clans. I am not saying they are united but they do not see themselves through a clannish lens (except Lagos undecided lipsrsealed)
Now, diya would have done the same for anybody irrespective of their clans. So, I acknowledge this man (MADUEKE). He is a good fellow.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by jason123: 12:48am On Mar 08, 2011
alex101:

Thanks for the Info. Though this doesn't change my view on some silly Igbos who are always trying to be hero.

grin grin grin grin

It is who you are. That is the igbo man's mentality which is good because if not for this mentality, they will not be where they are today.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by naijaking1: 12:50am On Mar 08, 2011
alex101:

It's easy to belong to the maddening crowd that makes up 99% of the population, but the truely great personalities, those remaining 1% will always reason above the need for basic food.
Unfortunately, in Nigeria the percentage of the corrupt crowd seems higher than 99%, that's why all our history villians turn out to benefit from the very situation they had ruined, eg Danjuma, OBJ, etc.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by Nobody: 3:36am On Mar 08, 2011
alex 101 said:

This is not about Fajuyi (though I like him), but rather my comment was geared towards clowns in Igboland like this Madueke. He should have just kept quiet and loot like every other person in the Abacha regime.

This is the sort of mindset that has held this country back for so long.  undecided

He should have kept quiet and loot? 
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by ekubear1: 7:13am On Mar 08, 2011
Sounds like a nice guy.

But. . . dunno what his parents were thinking naming him "Allison." Does he have a brother named Jennifer too
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by joeyfire(m): 8:25am On Mar 08, 2011
Wonderful write up on Madueke. Its amazing how far we have come since the days of the military. But emmmmmm, why are the usual suspects jumping in like grasshoppers to start yoruba vs igbo B.S again. Una no get small shame? embarassed
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by Nobody: 12:17pm On Mar 08, 2011
My brotha I tire mehn. undecided
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by T9ksy(m): 12:50pm On Mar 08, 2011
joeyfire:

Wonderful write up on Madueke. Its amazing how far we have come since the days of the military. But emmmmmm, why are the usual suspects jumping in like grasshoppers to start yoruba vs igbo B.S again. Una no get small shame? embarassed

No "grasshopper" would have swallowed the bait if the OP  hadn't  set the trap with the wrong titled thread. why couldn't he have just said that "an igbo man sacrificed his job for justice"?

Anyways, its instructive to note that there are some igbos who will fight for justice irrespective of the ethnicity of the beneficiary. Just as its also instructive to acknowledge that it was another igbo man (Chief Arthur Nzeribe) who was in the vanguard of denying justice to the populace by creating ABN.
Re: Unsung Heroes: Igbo Officer Who Sacrificed His Job For South West Justice by JProspero: 1:48pm On Mar 08, 2011
Let's learn to praise brave acts and actions: they encourage others to dare. That is what keeps the US ahead.

I remember Madueke's act of bravery in 1994 against Abacha.

I remember Col Umar's act of bravery against IBB his master in 1993 over June 12.

I remember Gani's act of bravery, challenging Abacha for having a PRC without an Igbo man.

I remember Fajuyi dying with his master and host Ironsi in 1996.

I remember Soyinka going to jail for visiting Biafra during the war.

I remember Frank Kokori risking his life in 1994 for June 12.

I remember Gani standing in front of armoured tanks in Yaba, urging them to shoot him, because of his love for Nig.

I remember young Chima Ubani defying the guns and cells of IBB and Abacha to fight for June 12.

I remember many more heroes who defied ethnicity, religion and self-interest to stand up for justice and the truth. Some lost their lives; some lost their jobs or positions; some lost their possessions.

If Nigeria does not remember you, I remember you today and always, our heroes. May the labours of our heroes past never be in vain.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria: End Of Road For Sylva, As Supreme Court Dismisses Case / Buhari's Continued Threat; Nigerians Are Tired / Fayemi Charges New HOS, Agbede To Build A 21st Century Public Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.