Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,448 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:05 AM

The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? (17660 Views)

The Rat Guys Killed And Ate At Garki Abuja (Photos) / 5 Types Of People You Meet At A Typical Nigerian Buka (mama Put) / The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Arlington(f): 12:32am On Mar 11, 2011
I am writting this with annoyance  I took a drive here in Maryland, to look for Nigerian food, I just did not feel like cooking and eating my own Nigerian food and I went to one Nigerian restaurant and I wanted to check the kitchen to be sure that it was not an oyinbo person that cooked it.

Kai it was so bad i just went home and sat on my bed and started day dreaming of all the Buka joints i have been to in Nigeria and how i loved them and miss them so bad( yes i am a Buka Junkie i can't lie) grin

Please if you have a favourite one please give them a shout out here, and tell  us what you miss the most about the place.
Let me start
  Amala Shitta  if you know surulere very well you know there are two hot spots one in the afternoon and one at night.
The one in the afternoon  has some wicked Goat meat and Gbegiri soup.

The evening one was so nice but the wahala was that you will now meet all the guys you have been doing shakara for there to eat the amala then  will turn to trouble you can't lick your fingers well well, because no matter how dark the place was  someone you know will just call your name out in the dark  grin saying haa i was not sure it was you i was just checking.

Bankolemo rice -Not there new location oh. After the alhaja died her children now took over it is ok but not like in the late 80's it was my dad's spot i learnt from the best you see. The hot rice with beans and Dodo.
Auntie Kemi The price of her rice was like The Hilton  She was located at Tejuosho one of the many gates the one opposite the Lumber yard.
Transformer Amala  haaa before i injure my self let me stop here i beg,  Give me yours so i can day dream.

1 Like

Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Nobody: 3:19am On Mar 11, 2011
Iyawo ile shocked
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Arlington(f): 3:49am On Mar 11, 2011
Na you know oh so Iyawo Ile no dey chop for Buka?
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by harpo(m): 11:49am On Mar 11, 2011
that mama at akerele surulere and under bridge on marina opp first bank
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 11, 2011
Try Iya Wale Buka, around Muritala Airport Ikeja

High commission buka on Island

All the bukas at AJ city cool
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by BABE3: 11:54am On Mar 11, 2011
those BukaS on Lagos ibadan express road (Shagamu area), the food there is on point,
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by seedord247(m): 11:55am On Mar 11, 2011
What i miss most is the shepe and Igboo joint inghetto shitta
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by proudly9ja(m): 12:02pm On Mar 11, 2011
I never ate at some of the bukas Im about to mention but because I went to school somewhere around Akerele, I heard so much about them at that time.

Iya Bob Amala @ Shitta

Don't know the name of this one but the joint opposite Cecil G on Akerele road (you should see the cars packed there at night)

White house at Sabo
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by seyosci: 12:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
Wharf Road, Apapa, Buka's Tent, A den of Enjoyment, Chop n empty ur wallet experience, lol

When u around that ends, do pay a visit and keep smiley
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Kennyblues(m): 12:32pm On Mar 11, 2011
proudly9ja:

White house at Sabo

I love White house even Ben Bruce and his staff members (Silverbird) come to eat there
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by amuukwu1(m): 12:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
OP, Bro' and Sis',you'all need to come try Ukwu Mango and Nda Leti in Owerri. Only Heaven knows how I've missed those places in the last few years.
Yea, and Mum's behind ITC Park,
These places, there food na die smiley smiley smiley
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Mar 11, 2011
Una never see amala joint , shey na amala joint we get for Lagos , make una come Ibadan , Oyo & Ogbomosho una go chop finger join.
I know say my U.I peeps dey for hia so I go mention a few:
Express
Niser park ( right inside U.I )
Inastraight ( Poly )
There was this one in Mokola - Veterinary
Oyo town na amala kingdom and worst joint there would knock any joint in Lagos out
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by favcom(m): 12:47pm On Mar 11, 2011
As a typical Lagosian, I cannot recall the number of places I've eaten. However, I agree with those who recognise the WHITE HOUSE in Sabo Yaba. They're quite organised and professionals. Na there I first take see Basketmouth wink
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by dangiwa09(m): 12:57pm On Mar 11, 2011
It appears none of you has mentioned the hygiene situation in any of these places. The cooks/owners of these places will have an open pot of food on fire and will be talking, thereby spitting inside it. They pick their nose, sneeze and blow their nose by the side, supposedly away from the food pot, but they'll not think/know to wash their hands before continuing to cook. They'll go number 1 and 2, still no washing of hands and they're still cooking for you guys. Tomorrow when you get sick with something you end up in one of those 'VERY ANDVANCED AND WELL EQUIPPED' hospital in Nigeria, or better still you'll go see that your baba/pastor to sing and dance 'uroboscattter sheroborobo beroborobo uroboscatter'. Goodluck guys!
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Acidosis(m): 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2011
chai dangiwa don kill me oh!
O.P ''opolo ninu gesha'' is a good place to go!
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by toluxa1(m): 1:11pm On Mar 11, 2011
@dangiwa09. At least the food dey sweet and i believe those hot firewood heat can kill all kinds of germs
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by BabaEleko(m): 1:13pm On Mar 11, 2011
Amala Phase II on lagos island and u will knock urself out. gba!!
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by illusion2: 1:21pm On Mar 11, 2011
Arlington:

I am writting this with annoyance I took a drive here in Maryland, to look for Nigerian food, I just did not feel like cooking and eating my own Nigerian food and I went to one Nigerian restaurant and I wanted to check the kitchen to be sure that it was not an oyinbo person that cooked it.

Kai it was so bad i just went home and sat on my bed and started day dreaming of all the Buka joints i have been to in Nigeria and how i loved them and miss them so bad( yes i am a Buka Junkie i can't lie) grin

Please if you have a favourite one please give them a shout out here, and tell us what you miss the most about the place.
Let me start
Amala Shitta if you know surulere very well you know there are two hot spots one in the afternoon and one at night.
The one in the afternoon has some wicked Goat meat and Gbegiri soup.

The evening one was so nice but the wahala was that you will now meet all the guys you have been doing shakara for there to eat the amala then will turn to trouble you can't lick your fingers well well, because no matter how dark the place was someone you know will just call your name out in the dark grin saying haa i was not sure it was you i was just checking.

Bankolemo rice -Not there new location oh. After the alhaja died her children now took over it is ok but not like in the late 80's it was my dad's spot i learnt from the best you see. The hot rice with beans and Dodo.
Auntie Kemi The price of her rice was like The Hilton She was located at Tejuosho one of the many gates the one opposite the Lumber yard.
Transformer Amala haaa before i injure my self let me stop here i beg, Give me yours so i can day dream.
I don't know if the place still exists,but 'Iya Ghana' off Allen Avenue,ikeja was something else. It was located in a mechanic workshop (really dirty place),but we would queue up with plates every morning to buy food(working class corporately dressed).

In fact in those days,i would be dreaming of the food the moment i woke up to get ready for work.

The prevailing rumour goiing around then was that the woman was adding her 'toto-water' in the food, me I no know o !
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by ideylaff: 1:38pm On Mar 11, 2011
Shade Eleja, Mokola Ibadan

Ghana High, Lagos, and

Gidi 4 Ever in Los Angeles

1 Like

Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by denzel2009: 1:39pm On Mar 11, 2011
dangiwa09:

It appears none of you has mentioned the hygiene situation in any of these places. The cooks/owners of these places will have an open pot of food on fire and will be talking, thereby spitting inside it. They pick their nose, sneeze and blow their nose by the side, supposedly away from the food pot, but they'll not think/know to wash their hands before continuing to cook. They'll go number 1 and 2, still no washing of hands and they're still cooking for you guys. Tomorrow when you get sick with something you end up in one of those 'VERY ANDVANCED AND WELL EQUIPPED' hospital in Nigeria, or better still you'll go see that your baba/pastor to sing and dance 'uroboscattter sheroborobo beroborobo uroboscatter'. Goodluck guys!
Those things are the multivitamins. Have you heard of anyone that died eating from these spots? The worst that could could happen is shyte like running tap water for 2 days and you are alright.

I like ghana high and bank olemoh designer rice. Yeah, I can't forget iya ope alamala.

1 Like

Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 11, 2011
ideylaff:

Shade Eleja, Mokola Ibadan
Ghana High, Lagos, and

Gidi 4 Ever in Los Angeles
Absolutely on point.

Amala shitta - Surulere Lagos
Bankolemo rice - Surulere Lagos ( OMG! I'm salivating)
Iya Ope rice - Mokola Ibadan ( Not sure if the place still exists)
dangiwa09:

One word for you. Immunity !
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by pwiz(m): 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2011
Ilorin peepz visit Alhamja Ayo or Iya yusuf for Gaa-Akanbi and another one at unity junction cnt remember! Oboi na die
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by sandee575(f): 1:53pm On Mar 11, 2011
The best isi-ewu joint has been at Ipodo, Ikeja for some two decades and its not relenting in serving
the most delicious that can be found on this planet. Scoup the sauce with the "ear", puncture the "eye" in between
your molars as the contents stain your teeth black and when you are through with the demolition, use the incisor as toothpick.
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by PurestBoy(m): 1:58pm On Mar 11, 2011
naijababe:

Absolutely on point.

Amala shitta - Surulere Lagos
Bankolemo rice - Surulere Lagos ( OMG! I'm salivating)
Iya Ope rice - Mokola Ibadan ( Not sure if the place still exists)One word for you. Immunity !

Shade Eleja still dey, my guys live around there so I'm always there every weekend to booze, Iya too still dey for Mokola market and they have another branch for Sabo, I eat there too regularly and INASTRAITE for cultural centre, I'll love to drink with a Nairalander someday so anyone nearby can call me anytime
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by cecegorz(m): 2:17pm On Mar 11, 2011
Stella Kitchen inside Computer village Ikeja, as clean as a fast food joint, just that the space is too tiny!

Under bridge, opposite firstBank Marina. Both Amala/Gbegiri in front and Pounded yam/Nsala/Peppersoup at the back. You can't beat those women!
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by net75: 2:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
Amala Babalola, Mushin Lagos
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by comechop(m): 2:32pm On Mar 11, 2011
chai see all these buka junkies o grin

this abroad sef don make pesin immunity go down. . . .if I go chop for bukka again, I no no wetin go happen o
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by papagiddy(m): 2:33pm On Mar 11, 2011
Alata milk and honey in OGBOMOSO. so nice there
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by lekanjohn(m): 3:24pm On Mar 11, 2011
Patanla at shasha road,Akowonjo,Lagos
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 11, 2011
[size=15pt]Does anyone know white house along TOS Benson avenue Yaba?[/size]
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by carnal: 3:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
ha whenever am in oweeri i dnt joke wit dis two places Ukwu Mango and Nda Leti in Owerri
Re: The Best Buka You Ever Ate In? by femib26(m): 3:37pm On Mar 11, 2011
Iya mulika, Agbelekale, Mafoluku.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The £250,000 Hamburger In London! / Price of rice remains stable in Enugu / A Brazilian Restaurant Staff Fed A Disabled Black Man (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.