Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,176 members, 7,829,213 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance (26204 Views)

Greatest Naira Comeback Unleashes Prospects For Economic Turnaround - THISDAY / Senate Threatens To Jail NNPCL CEO, Others Over ₦‎12tr Turnaround Maintenance / PH Refinery: We’re Doing Rehabilitation, Not Turnaround Maintenance – NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Islie: 12:23pm On Oct 29, 2020
By Emmanuel Addeh

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) yesterday attributed the prolonged neglect of overhauling the refineries in the country to the delay in making them functional.

It declared the refineries as damaged beyond the usual Turnaround Maintenance (TAM).

However, to revamp them, the national oil is embarking upon total rehabilitation of the plants, which despite currently being non-functional, gulp about N10 billion monthly in payment of salaries and other in-built costs.

Speaking yesterday on the third day of the virtual Oil Trading and Logistics (OTL) Africa Downstream Expo 2020, on the theme “ Petroleum Refining Trends and Outlook for Tomorrow’s Energy Supply,” the Managing Director of the Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company (KRPC), Mr. Ezekiel Osarolube, stated that the corporation had begun the rehabilitation of all the facilities.

He explained that there is now a private/public arrangement in the revamping of the refineries, adding that getting them back on stream remains a priority for the NNPC.

“The first phase of this project is to raise capacity and second phase is to upgrade and modernise to meet current trends; so, we need time to get there.

“There’s a difference between turnaround maintenance and what we are doing now. The traditional TAM, which the whole world knows is usually statutory, which is done two to three years, is to open and clean the system.

“But because of the long neglect, we have gone beyond that level of turnaround. What we are talking about now is comprehensive rehabilitation, which will involve replacing very obsolete equipment that can bring the plants back to optimum performance,” he stated.

According to him, the journey to make the plants resume production is ongoing, adding that the corporation has a roadmap, which it is following religiously to ensure all the slippages are rectified.

“These steps are going on in Warri, Kaduna and Port Harcourt and we have a roadmap we follow religiously.

“Every month, we have a stakeholders’ meeting to review where we are and if there is any slippages and how to recover because top management is focused on this project as the number one project of NNPC.

“We are dealing with people who are good in the business and they also want to recoup their money. All the fears will be taken care of and everyone will be proud of the NNPC,” he stated.

On his part, the Executive Secretary of the African Refiners and Distributors Association (ARA), a pan-African organisation for the African downstream oil sector, Mr. Anibor Kragha, noted that while the NNPC was on the right path, it should, however, focus on combining rehabilitation and upgrade to cleaner fuel specs to sell across Africa since there’s a huge market for it.

“We are going to have a population explosion in the next two decades and we are going to need an increased amount of energy to meet their demands.

“Renewables are going to grow during that period. Notwithstanding what happens, we are going to need a lot of crude oil but we need to focus on cleaner fuels. That’s why we are calling for Africa specific fuels by 2030,” he said.

He called for less emphasis on brown fuels and more on the green, noting that technologies for this should be made a priority, while the pursuit of gas as an alternative fuel should be encouraged.

Also in his intervention, Chairman, PEJAD, Nigeria, Mr. Anthony Ogbuigwe, said to make progress towards the attainment of cleaner fuel supplies, Sub-Saharan Africa must reduce the sulphur content of the fuels it consumes.

“The biggest refineries are in Egypt, but none of them meet the clean fuels specifications, but a number of them are carrying out revamping projects to improve the specification,” he said.
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/10/29/nnpc-nigerian-refineries-damaged-beyond-turnaround-maintenance/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by daddytime(m): 12:31pm On Oct 29, 2020
Mission accomplished, corruption triumphed, and no English again to take continue to dey defend the looting in the name of TAM when the original refinery (Dangote refinery) don come on board.

What a country.

Until we all go back to the basics, to agree on where we got it all wrong, even though we have an idea from when we got it wrong, we all still need to accept our respective culpabilities, no matter how damning or painful to the ears they might sound, and honestly agree to work towards mending the burnt bridges and rebirthing that much-eroded trust that is presently our bane as a nation/people, we shall continue to run around in circles with the same oppressive and vengeful system still in place because true repentance and forgiveness from all parties involved aren't being talked about.

Everyone is still stubbornly claiming to be politically right.

The present system and constitution upon which Nigeria is being run were deliberately crafted in that manner to be vengeful, spiteful, evil, lopsided, and generally rotten.

To have a glimpse of an idea about what I mean, ask yourself this; why is it that, those who seem and sound sane from the sidelines, and supposedly activists for the masses easily get to lose their voices and instead get swallowed up in the quagmire of everything decrepit within the system the moment they ascend the ladder on to the corridors of power?

The answer is simple, and it is akin to wearing a spotless babaringa or well-tailored suit to climb down sewage and expect not to reek of poo or get blemished. How possible can this be?

I keep telling people that the problem with Nigeria is fundamental, foundational, and structural. And until we begin to sincerely seek a way to address these issues, we'd only be piling up more blocks or floors on a structurally defect sky scrapper and the result will always be an eventual collapse besides the severe and un-healable injuries that'd have been sustained along the way.

If we don't come out, in all honesty, to discuss, seek genuine forgiveness from each other, we won't make any headway even with a million #Endsars protest or youth parties combined.

I've always thought the oldies in power are 100% the problem and as such, a chance for the youths at governance will rectify all the malaise we are presently faced with. But having tried in my little way to birth a youth movement to realize the above and getting stuck along the way, I was forced back to the drawing table to have a rethink, go back in time to history, and find out what the problem truly is.

I soon realized that the problem isn't the people that get into government perse, neither is it their qualification, age, religion, or region, but the system through which they come and upon which they operate is flawed and deliberately so to achieve a set goal.

A set goal which boils down to the history of this country, a history set on "never again", a history set on the perceived or actual betrayal of trust, a history built on " fool me once, you are the fool but fool me twice, then I'm the fool", in short, a history set on, "forgetting and forgiving is a sin".

We all need to know our history to some extent to understand where we are coming from, where we are presently, including how we got here, and ultimately, where we are headed, how we intend to get there, and of all, if we will ever get there.

To understand our history, it would be important to understand where we were as a people pre-independence, post-independence, the 1966 coup, the post-coup events, the counter-coup, the civil war, and the subsequent events that have led us here today.

We need to go back to understanding our respective regions without any bias, prejudices, arrogance, name-calling or seeing our individual regions superior to the other, et al

It is one thing to meet someone as a man or woman, feel a connect, mutual love based on trust and decide to become a couple, it is another thing to see a young girl, and decide to use all your powers including but not limited to religion, popularity, culture, and external backing to hold her to ransom and against her wish for marriage. While the first can be seen as mutual and free-willing, the latter is clearly forced, and will only breed resentment, rancor, hate, and where all these are present, retrogression naturally takes root.

We need to get rid of a system that breeds youths to power and perpetuate them into oldies in power without recourse to their downlines.

How do we go back to our pre-1966 era?
How do we rebuild the trust for one another which our actions and inactions have eroded over time?
How do we rebuild a nation where no part of the union will feel more superior politically, economically, educationally, or otherwise to the other, and rub it in without any remorse?

Always remember that if you feel justified in your myopic and selfish belief that whatever god you worship has blessed you beyond measure and above your neighbor intellectually and educationally, and as such reserve the right to see that neighbor as a sub-human or second class human, do not be surprised when that neighbor also prays to his god and gets answered when he requests to be blessed with his own gift which could be the gift to be the custodian of "Power" to rule over those who mocks him for his inability to assimilate or learn the ways of the white man as expected by his supposedly more "intelligent" and turenci speaking neighbors who would end up becoming spoke people for the supposedly "backward and unintelligent" neighbors. I hope say somebody dey understand me here... grin

E get reason why no be everybody dey sabi the white man language or way because everybody get him own unique gift from the sharer of gifts. Apart from that, who tell una say dem dey share sense, kindness, humility or how to be a good human being for school, and above all, una know wetin dem dey call native intelligence? Lol

Me wey dey write so na WAEC I get reach oh, I no even know where the certificate dey sef.

Humility and respect for one another should be a good way to start in our quest for restructuring.

God and nature can not be mocked at the same time, and if you are a fellow youth who still believes that the issues of this country Nigeria are solely physical, you had better woken up and smell the coffee.

The spiritual angle to it all dwarfs the physical you can see.

If the truth dey always sweet you for ear, you never hear better truth be that.

The truth dey bitter for the most part and e dey pain person for ear, but if you listen to am come agree say na the truth, come implement or refuse to implement am accordingly, you go dey on your way to freedom and peace of mind.

We have a way to go my people.

I be Nigerian boy from Edo State oh!

Anybody wey ready to do him best to see how we fit take heal together and rescue whatever we can of our country, I dey ready make we work together with genuine sincerity of purpose.

91 Likes 11 Shares

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by wahoom(m): 12:34pm On Oct 29, 2020
Yet they are still using billions of naira for it's yearly maintenance.
Anyways, thank God they didn't say it was #endsars protesters that destroyed it.
Ndi Ara!

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 29, 2020
U mean same kaduna rifinary that can't refine Nigeria grade of oil ?

8 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by omowolewa: 12:38pm On Oct 29, 2020
This is good news, as no body will come up with another Turn Around Maintenance Budget.

I wish the Government will immediately replace the Refinery immediately.

Or sell a part of the ownership to Technical Investors. Or even partner with OICs.

NiceMen:
it is not good news and if you are a southerner, you have been played... Now, the entire country will depend on Dangotes refinery which is very very very Bad.

If I had a chance I will gun down every southern leader for being idiots.

Hey yeH, okay.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Rugaria: 12:43pm On Oct 29, 2020
Run it to the ground.. Map out billions to maintain it, then cannibalize whatever remains of the mismanaged edifice..., unleash negative propoganda against it to diminish it's worth..., Wait for when everybody is exasperated and unconcerned....then, theeen, theeeen? Dash it out to your cronies in the name of commercialization and privitasation, with the beneficiaries most probably getting their funding from the CBN! You've seen this movie before.., right?

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Officialgarri: 12:46pm On Oct 29, 2020
Wow, and the government still have the guts to share this information with us.

What we were told is that these refineries will be working as soon as the APC takes over from PDP.

This is fvcking 2020 and we are told this?
10billion as salaries for a non-function, non-productive contraption.

It's indeed always very easy to judge from afar, else, these useless excuses won't be coming up after 5 years in power and 13 years of campaign.

My submission is that the government brings in reputable valuers to cost the 4 facilities , then sell it off to private investors...
Instead of wasting 10billion monthly. Don't be stupid

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by MorataFC: 1:06pm On Oct 29, 2020
Hmmmm ok o
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Throwback: 1:06pm On Oct 29, 2020
Time to sack everyone being paid a salary for being staff of a useless group of national refineries.

Even NNPC should be scrapped and a purely regulatory agency which is like the DPR should exist.

Every asset of NNPC should be disposed of to private investors.

Enough of this useless sinkhole.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by slawormiir: 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Patrickyemi: 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
Ok
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Racoon(m): 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
The governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el Rufai, has said Nigeria must do away with its “corrupt” oil company, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, or stand the risk of itself being destroyed.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/186622-nigeria-must-kill-nnpc-el-rufai.html/amp/

Another failed scam, the NNPC is just a cash cow and cesspool of unimaginable corruption by all successive governments in Nigeria.NNPC should have long been privatised especially now that the price of crude oil is fluctuating @ absymal low levels.

After after all the promise of one-year one refinery, embezzling monies in the name of TAM, paying workers including the many GMDs of the NNPC for doing nothing

15 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by realstars: 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
We thank God those that have vowe to distroy our heritage are no more alive today to distroy it.
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by KnightsTemplar(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
From Turn around to Revamp cheesy.
They've been awarding contracts for the TAM of those refinaries since Abacha's regime, to this present Buhari's regime, still refinaries won't work, because the cabals that held it and our light down, are making billions, importing refined fuel and generators, and our ineffectual leaders can't do anything about it.

10 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by 0taPiaPia(m): 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
However, to revamp them, the national oil is embarking upon total rehabilitation of the plants, which despite currently being non-functional, gulp about N10 billion monthly in payment of salaries and other in-built costs.

I stopped reading @ the bolded.. when another protest start now they will start blaming their imaginary enemies.. how can this wickedness be happening under the globe. angry angry angry

News like this makes huspupy a saint undecided

6 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Brokeronline: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
Over to the government.

I will teach you

PHP
MySQL
JavaScript
CSS and
HTML

In just one week... Fee: 98% off

Cal/WhatsAp: 0813 12 8 18 12
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by gurunlocker: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
This is coming out after years of looting money for 'REPAIR WORK' grin grin grin

I still remember the promise of 1 refinery per year by our man. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Montanato: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
Loot again
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by faithfull18(f): 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
wahoom:
Yet they are still using billions of naira for it's yearly maintenance.
Anyways, thank God they didn't say it was #endsars protesters that destroyed it.
Ndi Ara!
Evil people in power.

1 Like

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by AFULA(m): 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
Ikay
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
Basic reason why our refinereis are damaged beyond TAM is simple...subsidy.

Subsidy means that it is far easier to make a profit importing fuel or pretending to import fuel, and collecting subsidy money than it is to refine fuel in Nigeria.

All because our subsidising fuel since the 1970's has led to this.

We have been selling fuel below the production cost for decades because Nigerians want cheap fuel and the rich oil barons and subsidy thieves want free money.

In 1993, they told us to remove this subsidy of a thing. We called them IMF agents. See what neglecting good advice has caused us.

If we want those refinereis back it is simple....we have to
1.Prvatise NNPC
2.End subsidy once and for all
3.Allow marketers to control the price of fuel
4.Allow compelte and total deregulation of the downstream sector.

Yes, we would pay N300 per liter. Yes, Buhari is a wicked man. Yes, APC has lied to us. Yes, it would affect the poor. Yes, the North is opressing us. Yes, the IMF is dealing with us. Yes, I am talking rubbish. Ye,s they have looted our money. Yes, they have stolen from us.

But the truth is, if we want working refinereis, we have to say goodbye to government controlling the price of fuel . I'm sorry, but that's the only way.We have to make it profitale to refine fuel in this country so thaat we can have the local and foriegn investment needed to build and operate more refinereis.

And God knows I HATE THE WHOLE IDEA.

Thank you and good afternoon.

MODIFIED

For anyone who does not get how a subsidy works.....

1.In 2011, we imported fuel at 99 naira per liter. It cost over 90 naira to refine one liter.

2.NNPC then sold that fuel at N65 naira per liter.

3.Government then paid a subsidy of N34 per liter of fuel sold.

4.Thus no profit was made

5.That's how we have been running our petroleum sector since the 1970's

6.And as a result it isn'tprofitable to refine PMS in this country

7.Thus, wrecked refienreis.

8. And Dangote and the other private refinereis will end up like that IF we continue to insist on subsidy for fuel...because at the end of the day it would becomeunprofitable for them to refine fuel in Nigeria.

9. And Nigeria has been operating at an oil price lower than what can sustain us for decades.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by ehinmowo: 1:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
This people are wise. Now that Dangote refinery is nearing completion, suddenly, Nigeria refineries are not workable.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Gkay1(m): 1:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
after spending billions of naira to maintain it, now someone said our refinery is bad beyond maintenance. no problem.
God go judge all of una.

4 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by ibbo: 1:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
better sell it off, and unbundle NNPC.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by kemaj002: 1:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
it is well
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by Johnsonbusiness(m): 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2020
Do you trust this people? I don’t
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by obi2eze: 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2020
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by NSNA: 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2020
They should give all the revamp money to Dangote as a grant for speedy completion of his refinenary and sign an agreement to buy refined oil from him.
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by reiddecuti: 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2020
Another political game.
Who do us this thing?
Re: NNPC: Nigerian Refineries Damaged Beyond Turnaround Maintenance by atobs4real(m): 1:14pm On Oct 29, 2020
These our leaders are evil. Damaging what is valuable beyond repairs.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dele Momodu: Doyin Okupe Is Owing Me $20,000 From 2015 Bet On Jonathan / Festus Keyamo: As A Minister, I Can't Be On Tinubu's Legal Team / NLC Warning Strike: Banks To Shut Down On Tuesday & Wednesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.