Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,571 members, 7,816,404 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed (59291 Views)

Bolaji Akinyemi And Muammar Ghadaffi’s Sons (Throwback Photo) / Oba Akintunde Akinyemi Supports Igbo Presidency, Rejects Tinubu’s ‘Ambition’ / Herdsmen: Ooni Ogunwusi & Akintunde Akinyemi In Verbal War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by bukifemi1: 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2020
#EndSARS Protests Will Return in Two Weeks if Issues Are Not Addressed, says Former Nigerian Minister

There are fears that #EndSARS demonstrators will take to the streets of Nigeria in the next two weeks if it is perceived that the government has set up judicial panels across the country to buy time.

Former Nigerian Minister of External Affairs Professor Bolaji Akinyemi expressed this when he featured on ARISE News on Wednesday and called on the federal government to urgently address the issues raised by the protesters.

“The government should at least give the youths the impression that you have not set up all these panels to buy time, but that you are really genuinely and seriously interested in addressing their issues.

“I will say and let me believe I am wrong, the judicial panels have just two weeks to address all these issues before the youths come back to the streets,” Prof. Akinyemi said.

He said like the #BlackLivesMatter, the #EndSARS demonstration has gone beyond stomach infrastructure and more of a call for good governance that will address the concrete issues that face the country.

The professor of political science noted that the way forward for Nigeria will be for the government to utilize the Justice Mohammed Uwais report on electoral reforms and the 2014 national conference report which he believes addresses the issues confronting Nigerians.

“We told government because I was part of that conference that the United Nations said Nigeria needs 1.5 million policemen, we have only about 350,000 and we were recommending that the Nigerian government should employ 750,000 more policemen.

The military also should employ more military men just to soak up the unemployment but at the same time provide security for the country.
“What we’ve seen in the past two weeks is that we don’t have enough men in uniform to guarantee security in this country if every part of the country decides to blow up. So you serve two purposes employment and security and those are things you can do immediately,” the former Minister said.

According to Professor Akinyemi, restructuring is also key to solving the many problems facing the country.

“We have just seen how every governor was scrambling around in the past two weeks, if you allow each state to have its own state police you wouldn’t.

“I have heard of a situation where the streets took over even governance in almost every state, so restructuring is that you allow things to be done at the local level,” he said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arise.tv/endsars-protests-will-return-in-two-weeks-if-issues-are-not-addressed-says-former-nigerian-minister/amp/

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by tyup(m): 2:20pm On Oct 29, 2020
I'll happily join again
we move

731 Likes 66 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Righteousness89(m): 2:24pm On Oct 29, 2020
tyup:
I'll happily join again

we move
Tyup where have u been ?
It's been a while I saw u Here.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by richie240: 2:24pm On Oct 29, 2020
Hehehehehe..... Which "EndSars" again, biko?
I thot SARS has been proscribed tey-tey?
. grin grin grin

Oh! Una mean "EndNigeria" abi?
Oh......okay!

#clowns extraordinaires!
cool

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Skmoda360(m): 2:28pm On Oct 29, 2020
Hmmmm......let's hope it doesn't escalate to the extent of thugs highjacking it again....we move undecided

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by richie240: 2:29pm On Oct 29, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by NoPlaceLike(f): 2:31pm On Oct 29, 2020
tyup:
I'll happily join again

we move

We move

202 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by nairalander2020(m): 2:34pm On Oct 29, 2020
with all this wahala were endsars protest bring. crisis,looting,jailbreak,an so on. up till now our mouth no de thesame as one.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Flora2Sweet: 2:34pm On Oct 29, 2020
We move... always Ready

171 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by jenny005: 2:35pm On Oct 29, 2020
tyup:
I'll happily join again

we move
So that more lives would be lost, properties destroyed. What an irrational thinking human being. pls dont take offence

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by SpecialAdviser(m): 2:37pm On Oct 29, 2020
Please this time it should be either

#RestructureNow OR #EndNigeria

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 29, 2020
I have created time table for work and for protest, please when are we resuming ?

206 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by tyup(m): 2:43pm On Oct 29, 2020
Righteousness89:

Tyup where have u been ?
It's been a while I saw u Here.

My Pastor grin

God bless you sir, how have you been to??

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by fineboynl(m): 2:43pm On Oct 29, 2020
the next wave of endsars protest will consumed the country. let them be fooling themselves. it's best they handover policing to their respective states.

#restructure and not #reform.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by obonujoker(m): 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2020
No no no... Abeg let's pity education sector... Pls

5 Likes

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Jmk9292(m): 2:45pm On Oct 29, 2020
Subsequent protests should be against bad governance in all ramifications...... Restructuring or anything better than that.

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Charleys: 2:48pm On Oct 29, 2020
No school this year, better to go out and protest and eat free food and coordinate chicks than stay at home doing nothing.

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by tyup(m): 2:51pm On Oct 29, 2020
jenny005:
So that more lives would be lost, properties destroyed. What an irrational thinking human being. pls dont take offence

no offense at all, If things are to get better we better not keep quiet

people would loose lives, properties destroyed to and that's just sacrifice.

On Sunday I felt Nigerian again as I was able to wear one of my best dresses with a good shoe, I also took my phone along not that I'm guilty tho but this Police post we pass thr everytime to church, those police would Harass you and either ur clean or not you must drop something, 2-5k minimum and if you do mistake con get picture of a white celebrity ur done. Last Sunday they were there no stop and search just going about their regular duties (result of the protest)

Now imagine how many folks out there are in my shoe and have been pinched uncountably. whereas, this doesn't happen in Sokoto where I'm from

206 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Kingnutts(m): 2:53pm On Oct 29, 2020
there are fears?? SORO SOKE WEREY

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by tyup(m): 2:58pm On Oct 29, 2020
Righteousness89:

I am Doing Great my Brother!
It's been a while I saw your inputs here..
I Believe you doing Great

Yes I took a break from the site for a while Jare

I hope the ministry is moving all fine?? smiley

11 Likes

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Righteousness89(m): 3:05pm On Oct 29, 2020
tyup:

Yes I took a break from the site for a while Jare

I hope the ministry is moving all fine?? smiley
Ministry is Great!
God is Good!
Welcome back my Brother!!

7 Likes

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by konshency(m): 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2020
We move....#ENDSARS now and forever

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by wristbangle: 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2020
If more military/paramilitary men are to be recruited, it should be sensible ones and their salary must be review upward so that the existing sane and new forcemen won't be involved in corruption.

About a new protest, I see that happening. From the news gathered after the protest, the politicians corruption has geared to another level. How can it cost N1 trillion naira to fix damages in Lagos? Or cost N2.9billion to print question papers? Etc.

We have been belittled and fooled for too long. Their gimmicks have expired. This time around, the protest should focus on reforms, restructuring, ending bad governance, revamp of economy, etc.

I will gladly join if this will be the next tag of the protest.

The narrative should change already for those still using the hashtag #Endsars.

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by tyup(m): 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2020
Righteousness89:
Ministry is Great! God is Good! Welcome back my Brother!!
Love you sir
Thanks xoxo much smiley

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by jenny005: 3:55pm On Oct 29, 2020
tyup:

no offense at all, If things are to get better we better not keep quiet

people would loose lives, properties destroyed to and that's just sacrifice.

On Sunday I felt Nigerian again as I was able to wear one of my best dresses with a good shoe, I also took my phone along not that I'm guilty tho but this Police post we pass thr everytime to church, those police would Harass you and either ur clean or not you must drop something, 2-5k minimum and if you do mistake con get picture of a white celebrity ur done. Last Sunday they were there no stop and search just going about their regular duties (result of the protest)

Now imagine how many folks out there are in my shoe and have been pinched uncountably. whereas, this doesn't happen in Sokoto where I'm from
. It shall be well bt not with anoda round of violence. Thanks for ur undastanding

5 Likes

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by WonderManly(m): 4:28pm On Oct 29, 2020
Together we move....

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by Firstorderwizard(m): 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2020
undecided
Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by LostAddict11: 4:53pm On Oct 29, 2020
I would gladly hit the road again until I am a free man in my own country. The government would act wisely this time, they now know the world is watching.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Akinyemi: #EndSARS Protests Will Return In 2 Weeks, If Issues Are Not Addressed by oludotun17666: 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2020
I have created time table for work and for protest, please when are we resuming ?

24 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

To My Boko Haram And Northern Brothers, Let Us Learn From The Yoruba. / Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts To The Declaration Of Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB As Terrorists / Young Sowore Protesting Against The Military (Throwback Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.