Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu (1360 Views)

AIT Gets Threatened By A Northern Group / PDP Candidate Ribadu Escapes Mob Attack In Adamawa / Nass Poll: Acn Presidential Candidate Ribadu Beaten In Adamawa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by timbuktwo: 12:44am On Mar 15, 2011
From GARBA MUHAMMAD, Kaduna
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Ribadu
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

The presidential candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu has said he would not hesitate to step down for a northern candidate if the need arises. Ribadu’s disclosure came even as he expressed the belief that what the North was working towards, was to get the best candidate that could challenge the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the April elections.

He, therefore, expressed the need for the progressives to support one candidate to confront the PDP, which, according to him, “is a problem. ACN today is a northern party because I am the candidate.”

Speaking in Kaduna during the weekend, Ribadu said although he was not an advocate of zoning, he was optimistic that the north would do better if given the opportunity to produce the President. He added that those who wish the country well would have to come together to save Nigerians from the shackle of PDP’s failure.
“It is amazing when Jonathan talks about change, change for what? When you talk about change we are talking about new ideas and generational change.

I believe we can also change the political forum in the country but it will require hard work and dedication.
“Jonathan did not pardon me because I have not done anything wrong. When you fight corruption, it also fights you back. Last year, I was a fugitive. I never nursed the ambition of becoming the president, but thank God for the situation I found myself today.

“There were attempts on my life twice. I still have my car sprayed with bullets. Since I left the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), I have never called Obasanjo and I have nothing to do with him.
“Fundamentally, the problem of religious and ethnic crisis in Nigeria is as a result of leadership failure. If you do not take care of the Police, the Police will not take care of you. Last year, over 400 police officers lost their lives while discharging their duties nationwide.

“Gowon and his deputy were Christians, so I have chosen a Nigerian who probably happened to be a Muslim.
“Jonathan is playing politics with education, given the allocation to education in the national budget. Therefore, the creation of new universities when over 12 million graduates do not have jobs is not the solution of Nigeria’s education problem. The PDP government is worse than that of Mubarrak in Egypt,” he added.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by timbuktwo: 12:47am On Mar 15, 2011
first nplf, then shekarau, now ribadu.

everyone is falling in line behind buhari.

can jonathan really win this election?
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by jason123: 12:53am On Mar 15, 2011
Na wa oooo! shocked shocked shocked
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Ibime(m): 2:05am On Mar 15, 2011
We need to question who is behind these background moves to collapse the Northern candidates into one.

If such characters are the same old corrupt oligarchs, then any Northern consensus candidate (Buhari) will be compromised and will be no better than the PDP option.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by ekubear1: 2:14am On Mar 15, 2011
If Ribadu steps down, 80%+ chance that Buhari wins. Only thing keeping GEJ afloat atm is Ribadu splitting the opposition votes.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by jumobi1(m): 5:26am On Mar 15, 2011
So Ribadu is working for a President from the North?
Man. These Politicians are all the same clowns.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Onlytruth(m): 5:52am On Mar 15, 2011
Posted by: Ibime

We need to question who is behind these background moves to collapse the Northern candidates into one.

If such characters are the same old corrupt oligarchs, then any Northern consensus candidate (Buhari) will be compromised and will be no better than the PDP option.

I dey laugh o! sad

Ibime, I thought you'd be happy that GEJ may lose?

Bros I no know where you stand o. sad
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Onlytruth(m): 5:55am On Mar 15, 2011
Never expected anything less from Ribadu. I'm not easily fooled.

Ihe agwo muru anaghi agha ito ogologo.  undecided

Last time he was in the states, I took one look at him in person and something didn't feel right about him.  undecided
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by EMANY01(m): 6:07am On Mar 15, 2011
I love it  just  as  a number  of  discerning  people suspected .What  they  fail  to  realize  is  that   should  they   try  that Jonathan  will win  hands  down  and   much as  i  do  not    like    the   ACN (i am not  a   pdp  hog  by  the  way) Ribadu  pulling  out  shortly  before  the  contest   will  consign   him  to   political  oblivion as  well as   ensure   that   those  voters  the party  has   cultivated  and   aroused  in  the   south west   will  simply reject him(since   hes pulled  out   already  and   Buhari  at  the   polls.My  point  is    the southern voters   have    been  encouraged    to  not   view   their  choices   at  this   election   through   primordial  ethnic/sentimental  lenses Ribadu pulling  out   at  any  time   before  the  race    for   Buhari's benefit will be  counter productive.Southern  voters even  those  in  the  west will see  this   as   the   strategy  of  the    north   to   regain  power and    the  manner  in  which   the   would   have    done  this   will make them  even more suspicious  of  Buhari they  will  simply  revert  to   sentiments  and  vote  a candidate  from  the  south who  has  a  chance   of   winning.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by egift(m): 6:32am On Mar 15, 2011
Please step down in time.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Beaf: 6:36am On Mar 15, 2011
Why is anyone surprised?

Goodluck Jonathan [the incumbent] is from a very small ethnic group, Sadly, even if he were the best person for the job, northern Nigeria would never accept it. He is not electable.

-Nuhu Ribadu

http://www.economist.com/blogs/baobab/2010/11/interview_nihu_ribadu

Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Kobojunkie: 6:43am On Mar 15, 2011
@OP, might be a good idea to get another perspective on this story. I am not a Ribadu maniac myself but much of what is contained do not seem to line up with what we know so far of the man Ribadu. undecided
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by bkbabe97y(m): 7:03am On Mar 15, 2011
Am I the only one that sees that this story is as fake as Pam Anderson's ti*tties?!

This story was planted to paint the Northerners as tribal and bigots. . . . failed!

Fake. Relegate this shiyyt to the trash can!
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:05am On Mar 15, 2011
EMANY 01:

I love it just as a number of discerning people suspected .What they fail to realize is that should they try that Jonathan will win hands down and much as i do not like the ACN (i am not a pdp hog by the way) Ribadu pulling out shortly before the contest will consign him to political oblivion as well as ensure that those voters the party has cultivated and excited in the south west will simply reject him(since hes pulled out already and Buhari at the polls.My point is the southern voters have been encouraged to not view their choices at this election through primordial ethnic/sentimental lenses Ribadu pulling out at any time before the race for Buhari's benefit will be counter productive.Southern voters even those in the west will see this as the strategy of the north to regain power and the manner in which the would have done this will make them even more suspicious of Buhari they will simply revert to sentiments and vote a candidate from the south who has a chance of winning.
Good analysis
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by bkbabe97y(m): 7:07am On Mar 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

Last time he was in the states, I took one look at him in person and something didn't feel right about him.  undecided

Surprisingly, uve "taken" millions of those same "looks" at Orji Kalu, Ojukwu and ur other greedy, thieving, "IBB-SUPPORTING" Ibo brothers. . . . did you ever feel something wasnt right about them too?!

Im*becile!
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by naijaking1: 7:25am On Mar 15, 2011
Ibime:

Good morning grin grin grin
How's the coffee smell?
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Nobody: 8:58am On Mar 15, 2011
BE FAST ABOUT IT, STREAMLINE BEHIND BB. ALL OTHER PARTIES SHOULD PUT BB FORWARD LETS SEE HOW PDP will do their magic.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Gbawe: 9:39am On Mar 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

You took one look at him and "something didn't feel right" ? Na wa OOOO.  First he is  a "spoiler" for GEJ then we hear he is "OBJ's inside man" . Yet , the truth is that Ribadu , since returning from exile, has always shown a readiness to put Nation above self. He was ready to step down for Buhari during the alliance talk , and if this article is correct , he is still ready to do same because he genuinely believes , above everything else, that "those who wish the country well would have to come together to save Nigerians from the shackle of PDP’s failure".

It would be good if we had more leaders who could behave as selflessly as Ribadu . Shame Jonathan is not made of the same stock as Ribadu otherwise he would see he could serve Nigeria best and write his name in gold by conducting a free and fair election that will remove a lot of crooks everywhere . The senate could have been purged somewhat and many States would have the Governors the people want . What is a better template for enduring development than that ? Instead the very same people destroying Nigeria (eg Alao-Akala) are certain to return , to do further damage, as per deals made with GEJ .
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Nobody: 11:15am On Mar 15, 2011
undecided
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by SkyBlue1: 11:24am On Mar 15, 2011
Ribadu might be eroding his support with his own utterances. I thought Buhari and Ribadu would understand that some of the support Jonathan receives is due to the fact that he is not a "northern" candidate and hence a perceived break from the worn out zoning idealogy people were getting fed up with and wanted to fight against. Making such utterances might just lose him support of some who might have despite the urge to fight against zoning, still supported him. Zoning is no longer a popular idealogy and anyone even remotely alluding to such (either directly or indirectly) by their actions or utterances should be prepared to lose some progressive support (but possibly gain ethnically driven support). If Buhari even makes this mistake it might cost him. We need a president of Nigeria, not one of the north or south (if not you might as well split the darn thing up).
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Gbawe: 11:56am On Mar 15, 2011
timbuk two:

first nplf, then shekarau, now ribadu.

everyone is falling in line behind buhari.

can jonathan really win this election?

http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14034:shekarau-im-not-stepping-down-for-anyone&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Shekarau: I’m not stepping down for anyone .

Tuesday, 15 March 2011 00:00 Abbas Jimoh 

The All Nigeria People’s Party (ANPP) presidential candidate and Kano State governor Malam Ibrahim Shekarau yesterday in Abuja dismissed reports that he will step down for another candidate from the North. Speaking through his spokesman, Malam Sule Yau Sule, after a meeting with 72 big wig politicians from the Niger Delta, before his departure to Benin, Shekarau said he is the most credible and acceptable candidate from the region, adding that it is the other candidates that should rather step down for him.  

Sule said that Shekarau’s response on a television programme that he would be willing to step down if asked by the northern leaders caucus to do so should not be misinterpreted as the answer was given out of his humility and simple demeanour.

He said that Shekarau’s antecedents, his landmark achievements and his not having any score to settle nor bear any grudge with anyone among other qualities is all that is needed for the northern leaders to adopt him and asked other northern contestants to step down and endorse him.

He said, “Nigerians are beginning to identify a candidate, not a party; Nigerians are beginning to identify the right candidate that will lead this country; I believe this is what is going to happen in the forthcoming election. Nigerians are tired; Nigerians are yearning for change and the person to bring that change is Malam Shekarau.”

Spokesman for the Shekarau Solidarity Movement (SSM), Chief Kingsley Okorafor, said they endorsed Shekarau in the interest of the nation irrespective of their party affiliations.

Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by blacksta(m): 12:40pm On Mar 15, 2011
Nigerians are very tribalistic.  doubt if the story is true anyway. If Buhari is the man to fix the country why not?  I will prefer not remain in darkness whilst a failed Southerner is the president of Nigeria.   10 months of a failed GEJ is enough evidence to try another alternative   Presidential post is not an experimental post and definitely luck wont get u anywhere.  Please refuse to be sentimental your future and children's own are at stake.   Vote on policies and Sentiments
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Ibime(m): 3:17pm On Mar 15, 2011
@ Onlytruth & Naijaking!!!

There is a reason we live in a democracy, and that's to QUESTION everything. You would be retarded to take any Nigerian at face-value. Though I support Buhari, it's simply due to lack of a better option, not because he's the best thing since sliced bread!

Should Ribadu step down, Buhari would still get my vote (although I have no vote).

Its a win-win situation for the South as far as I'm concerned if Buhari wins.

(a.) Nigeria as a whole get better governance

OR

(b.) The South becomes aggrieved and starts agitating.

Both options suit me just fine!!!
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 15, 2011
The "North" knows more than the "South" in these things.

I wont be suprised if at the dying minute, Ribadu abandons ACN and Tinubu in the cold.
Yet my vote is going to Jonathan not becuase he is from the south, but because he is the President Nigeria needs for now.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Pharoh: 3:35pm On Mar 15, 2011
We all knew these all along and that's why i have never supported any core northern candidate, they are all the same thing. The northerners are very good in political strategy and the south will always be fooled believing in democracy and modernism. The north are always prepared to the battlefield and see what he is saying that any northern candidate is better than any southern candidate. This is an insult and am ashamed that these people receive any form of support in southern Nigeria. There is no two ways about it, the presidency stays in the south or the country will go up in flames.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2011
I have told them that the "Sai Buhari" movement is more of religious/ethinic movement than a politcal movement. Some of us are not fooled by it.

Yet, my main reason for voting President Jonathan is not neither Religion nor Ethinic. Between him and the opportunist military officer, I chose him any day any time.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Jbenue: 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2011
I am seriously dissapointed here I am rooting for Ribadu to show Nigerians a progressive way of doing things and then he goes and says something like this it is very very dissapointing indeed, now I wish Fashola had run, sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by Jamesakume(m): 4:21pm On Mar 15, 2011
Whoever spreads these baseless stories should just stop, Ribadu represents the hopes and yearnings of 80% of the youths of this country, it would amount to a betrayal. We should be talking of Hurricane ACN sweeping away the non-functional PDP, together with all their experienced criminals.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by 4dgood: 4:23pm On Mar 15, 2011
I wonder why we would have so many comments on this topic. @Timbuk two, you put everything except the title of your post in quotes. You would have done well to post a link to wherever you got your cock and bull story from. I'm guessing you are one of those GEJ zombies going about twisting stories and formulating false ones too.

Let us know the source of your lies and just in case of next time, be sure your title is included in your post. This one is a joke.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by joan1: 4:41pm On Mar 15, 2011
Its quite unfortunate that they have been trying to discredit Ribadu, its just some weeks to election and that shows how baseless this story is. Ribadu represents the change we truly need.
Re: I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu by daresmith: 4:49pm On Mar 15, 2011
Can't you all see? He just put everything he said in quotes except the reason we all came here.

Get your facts right and stop using these dirty tactics.

(1) (Reply)

Who Voted For This Man? / S/east Rejects Sgf Position, Demands Speaker/senate Presidency / Photo: Beer Flows Freely During South South Elders Meeting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.