Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,176 members, 7,829,214 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. (29708 Views)

Is It Advisable For A 21 Year Old To Study A 5 Year Course? / Study A Master In International Management At IUBH, Work In Germany / List Of Courses You Must Not Study In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Focusmind: 9:45am On Nov 10, 2020
As a career adviser to the youth, I usually tell them to select courses that offers the opportunity of seeking for employment outside the shores of Nigeria. Make no mistake about this, the Nigerian labor market is saturated and overflowing.

Graduate unemployment has been projected to reach record high in the next five years except drastic economic reform is taken by the government. I will rather encourage my niece or sister to read nursing than going to waste his/ her time reading any course.

I will prefer to read social work or community development and have opportunity to work with international development agencies and abroad as conflict has been projected to increase in the years to come. Those in the development sector and humanitarian assistance will have that opportunity. if you check recently, most NGOs have been advertising and recruiting people because of the violence.

Finally, study course that you have chances of making first class or 2.1, even if the course looks stupid. With that, you can sit for graduate aptitude tests of some multinationals, seek for overseas scholarship as it has been shown that scholarship exists for almost all categories of courses as long as you have high GP.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by wildikeman(m): 9:46am On Nov 10, 2020
vickydevoka:

U funny o. Which people de employ engineers abeg. If government wan build big something Dem go call chimes n Indian people. Abeg engineering no follow. U for Kukuma say education self

We die well for this country
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hassanmaye(m): 9:46am On Nov 10, 2020
ANDREW91:

continue with your microbiology, make a first class or 2:1 to get a high chance of applying for a job...this days the course you did doesnt matter. if you like study juju and get a 2:1 banks will still invite you for a test.
Haha cheesy cheesy
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 10, 2020
Hassanmaye:

I study computer engineering I'm on nairaland this early morning. This life no balance
God will make a way.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hassanmaye(m): 9:47am On Nov 10, 2020
Senator2023:
Even though I agreed with you in courses selection,It is Nigeria as a country that makes your point real, Quality control job is meant for Biochemistry and microbiology . Every course has area of specialization but low number of industries and inadequate information makes things hard for people. Even Medical doctors are receiving penny as salary now, accounting ;if you are not chartered nothing for you, don't even go to law; charge and bail gang and so on, in short Nigeria is hell fire on earth.

Charge and bail haha grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 9:48am On Nov 10, 2020
Olumyyde:

Here sir, and so many others of my Biochem coursemates either lecturing, working as Quality Assurance heads in private companies or in federal agencies.

Sir, I would like to know the year you graduated.

It's becoming difficult these days to get a job as a biological science graduate.

One of the the best guy in my set sells data online. I'm not kidding.

...and don't forget the giveaway, it's important. cheesy
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by KingWarri: 9:49am On Nov 10, 2020
DamZik:
""Jambites are found of going to school to study courses with fancy names but many of these courses won't get you a job or a well paid job after graduation."' You have said my mind. I have never seen someone who studied Biochemistry or Microbiology getting full employment. They usually end up as unqualified Teachers in private schools.
Not everyone study to get employed... I have been employed for jobs I did not study for.
Op, the way you dey talk enh, e be like say no be Nigeria you dey again. Place where engineers are employed as bankers....
Note: Study whatever makes you happy.. Na one life you get.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Kokaine(m): 9:51am On Nov 10, 2020
galantjoe:
Based on my 15years practical experience during job interviews on what employers really want, the following courses if well studied can always fetch you food on your table.
1. Medicine and surgery
2. Pharmacy, becoming certified
3. Law and becoming barrister
4. BSc nursing and having RN
5. Accountancy, becoming chartered or knowing your onion.
6. Computer science, knowing your onion
7. Computer engr. Knowing your onion.
8. Civil, machanical, chemical engineering, knowing your onion
9. Architecture,
10. Applied art
11. Music
12. Food science, technology, nutrition and dietetics
13. Actuarial science
14. Mathematics with finance/IT or applied maths with options computing, finance, analytics, etc
15. Physics with options in practical Engineering, technology, mechanics, electronics, computing, IT, ETC.
16. Chemistry with option in. Practical engineering, paint production, industrial uses, etc.
17. Education options in English, local languages, science education, technology, etc.

Electrical
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Onnasucs1(m): 9:51am On Nov 10, 2020
Preshob:

Hello, Biochemistry isn't useless!!! even the medicine and surgery you guys are busy masturbating over can't do without Biochemistry. Tell me that the course is not marketable and the the employment opportunities in the field here in NIGERIA is almost non existent (due to the inability of employees to put specialization and qualifications in the forefront of their employment requirements) and I'll agree with you but calling it useless is a no no for me.

I always advise those that are passionate about the field of Biochemistry to go for further studies, specialize in an area of Biochemistry like Forensic science, Industrial Biochemistry, Toxicological Biochemistry, Molecular Biochemistry, etc, and try to remain there(outside the country) after your studies cause they know the importance and relevance of these courses we term "useless" here in Nigeria.

Meanwhile can anyone here tell me any course in Nigeria that doesn't have a large chunk of unemployed people?? including your darling Medicine where the level of underemployment is skyrocketing every day. Just pray for the Grace of God!!

Nigeria is the problem!!!
well sorry for calling it useless. I know how great the course is. But Nigeria has made it look "useless."
Imagine the only jobs for biochemistry graduates are teaching jobs in secondary schools.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by davosea(m): 9:52am On Nov 10, 2020
Nice thread
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Lisaint(m): 9:56am On Nov 10, 2020
I studied Geography and planning sciences because i love it!

Up till now no show!

Environmental companies no show

Even estate management companies!zero

Construction company nko! No show

Even military sef! Miss call

But I really wanna learn autocad

Can anyone recommend a good video on YouTube

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Olumyyde(m): 9:56am On Nov 10, 2020
2fine2fast:

Your assertion is very wrong. I studied Biochemistry, graduated officially in 2010, started my first job 2011, switched to NAFDAC in 2012. Left NAFDAC 2017 to pursue my Phd degree in Biotechnology. Many of my classmates are gainfully employed. Don’t limit others by your own limited view. Whatever you study in school, be the best in it.. then know you worth. The grace of God will cover the rest.
So much sense in your post. The grace factor can never be overemphasized. But why leave NAFDAC? U couldn't merge it with ur program I guess?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by PropertyBuying(f): 9:59am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Ask yourself, how many Economics graduates you know have gotten a well paid job as an Economist in the last 5 years.

That'll answer your question.
What a response to his question?! grin
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 9:59am On Nov 10, 2020
Onnasucs1:
well sorry for calling it useless. I know how great the course is. But Nigeria has made it look "useless."
Imagine the only jobs for biochemistry graduates are teaching jobs in secondary schools.

I used to get emotional just like him because truth is bitter.

A passion that cannot put food on your table in this present Nigeria is useless.

Just imagine Lawyers now earning 30k even corps members earn more than that.

Doctors are now getting underpaid.

I seriously feel like punching somebody! angry

5 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by officialfestus(m): 10:02am On Nov 10, 2020
how about someone studying agricultural Economics and Agro business?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 10:09am On Nov 10, 2020
officialfestus:
how about someone studying agricultural Economics and Agro business?

To be candid, this is a good course.

Make sure you are not shy to go into agriculture when you graduate because the job you want might not come (early).
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by iyke4(m): 10:09am On Nov 10, 2020
Sunkyapogee:
What about urban and regional planning technology?

Worst course somebody can ever study, the only place you can work is either as a lecturer or as a member of the planners association
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by elobrave17: 10:11am On Nov 10, 2020
I won't forget my lecturer that year telling us how ACCOUNTANCY EDUCATION is a double honor. In his words. "You can be a teacher or an accountant. The choice is yours". Yon need to see how we used to carry our shoulders as double honors. We even thought we had more opportunities than those that studied Accountancy major.

Now see my life. Sometimes if I mention my course to some employers they will be like, is that accountancy or what?

The painful aspect is that same set of lecturers are still there giving students orientation on how they will do exploits when they graduate in that field(like motivational speakers).

Skill is the key in today's Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by officialfestus(m): 10:11am On Nov 10, 2020
Cetacean419:

It is quite unfortunate I didn't see Agriculture related fields here. You must be joking for putting engineering there. Don't annoy me abeg.
I just tire
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by officialfestus(m): 10:13am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

To be candid, this is a good course.

Make sure you are not shy to go into agriculture when you graduate because the job you want might not come (early).
I'm not studying the course to a get a job,I want to create a job...God will see me through
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 10, 2020
I disagree.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ahmad62(m): 10:14am On Nov 10, 2020
Wow! Nice write up bro...

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 10:17am On Nov 10, 2020
officialfestus:
I'm not studying the course to a get a job,I want to create a job...God will see me through

Nice one.

If you don't have capital, start sourcing for it now.

Don't ever assume that you won't need good capital to start with.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by officialfestus(m): 10:19am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Nice one.

If you don't have capital, start sourcing for it now.

Don't ever assume that you won't need good capital to start with.
yeah, I'm saving towards it.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 10, 2020
Zoology, When many of the animals in the zoos has been eaten. [ One can make a good living by establishing a private zoo}
Botany, When plants in our forest has been turned as a delicacies for ngwongwo. [ One can make a good living, if you establish a private garden]
Statistic, When we don't keep records.
Geology, When oil companies can employ a person who studied agroeconomics in this position and give him or her 6months course.
Banking and Finance, Do your father have a bank or substantial investment in any, when banks can employ someone who studied English/Linguistic as their internal auditor.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by MediMedi(m): 10:25am On Nov 10, 2020
What will I do with this my course, Education and Integrated Science pls
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Flows001(m): 10:28am On Nov 10, 2020
BiggyB242:
Medicine is okay, law doesn't even pay well. Most law firms pay their lawyers +/-50k
I can agree with you only to the extent of the young lawyers coming up. When a lawyer is already made, a single case can fetch him the life savings of a civil servant. I know of several lawyers like that, a particular one told a story where he carelessly got involved in a case, that careless case eventually fetched him 30million. The legal profession requires Patience a d perseverance. The young lawyers aren't chasing for instant wealth but NAME, with the name, your signature alone go dey send alerts to your account. E dey pay Wella if you re your own boss!

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by 21cents: 10:29am On Nov 10, 2020
studying geography with a good grade point. what are my chances
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by GreatMage: 10:34am On Nov 10, 2020
Focusmind:
As a career adviser to the youth, I usually tell them to select courses that offers the opportunity of seeking for employment outside the shores of Nigeria. Make no mistake about this, the Nigerian labor market is saturated and overflowing.

Graduate unemployment has been projected to reach record high in the next five years except drastic economic reform is taken by the government. I will rather encourage my niece or sister to read nursing than going to waste his/ her time reading any course.

I will prefer to read social work or community development and have opportunity to work with international development agencies and abroad as conflict has been projected to increase in the years to come. Those in the development sector and humanitarian assistance will have that opportunity. if you check recently, most NGOs have been advertising and recruiting people because of the violence.

Finally, study course that you have chances of making first class or 2.1, even if the course looks stupid. With that, you can sit for graduate aptitude tests of some multinationals, seek for overseas scholarship as it has been shown that scholarship exists for almost all categories of courses as long as you have high GP.

Thanks...
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Preshob(m): 10:35am On Nov 10, 2020
Onnasucs1:

Okay, I understand you..... the Nigerian factor has affected every aspect of the system here, nothing is working!! In saner climes, Biochemists are actively involved in the research, medical, industrial and enforcement sectors.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Dayoebe(m): 10:36am On Nov 10, 2020
Herbephe1:
biochemistry! this one weakens my bone! initially I was doubting of going for medical lab despite the fact that it remains 2½ years to complete my bsc in biochemistry

I've never seen anyone employed as a biochemist.

Metabolite my foot!

Even me that's studying mathematics, I spend more time doing IT related course than imaginary calculations

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Secondary Student Tied To A Pillar By Teacher As Punishment (Photos) / Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History / Funny Things You Can Relate To If You Are A Student & Depend On Your Parent(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.