Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,875 members, 7,810,333 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Letter To Mr. President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter To Mr. President (894 Views)

Mammoth Crowd Waiting For Mr President In Kano / If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption / What Would You Do If You Were Mr President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Letter To Mr. President by sirwebs(m): 12:12pm On Jun 27, 2007
Dear Mr. President,

My belated congratulations on your victory at the presidential polls. However this is not the time for congratulations as you yourself have very well said. It’s a pity your “honeymoon” period lasted barely a couple of weeks before the NLC rudely interrupted but honeymoons are unrealistic adventures.

To be frank with you sir, I do not express any enthusiasm about your tenure. It is nothing personal just a defensive mechanism of someone who has had their trust in political leaders dashed over and over again. I know the problems of the country are huge and seemingly insurmountable and of course you have arguably the worst job in the world. But then you know all this. Let me remind you that what ever you do not everybody will be happy with you. So don’t ever think of playing to the gallery.

Away with the chit chat. I write to tell you that I am quite worried with the slow pace with which you are getting off the blocks. I thought you would have literarily hit the ground running being that it didn’t need a rocket scientist to deduce you were going to sweep the polls. I am quite happy with the just terminated industrial action. It roused you from your somnambulation. As you go about the unenviable job of fixing Nigeria, let me remind you that as a Chemist you already know that like ideal gases, ideal and text book policies are hardly suitable in the real world. Whatever you do sir, please add a tinge of human face. Sacrificing petroleum subsidies on the altar of free market principles and concurrently doling out money to legislators to find accommodation because their houses where sold off sounds like a tale from Amos Tutola’s “The Palm wine Drinkard.”

Sir, power is virtually non-existent, the transport network is a tragedy, education is a farce and the most ignoble of them all is that people - and I mean even the middle class – cannot afford kerosene to cook. Honestly sir, I don’t think you can do it. You are much a part of the old guard.

Sincerely.
Re: Letter To Mr. President by desgiezd(m): 3:30pm On Jun 27, 2007
Sirwebs,

I think we should allow the president some time to settle into the job. Really, there’s no one that can get to that office that won’t experience some initial inertia because the job is daunting and coupled with the fact that he is yet to have his ministers, the selection of which in itself is no child’s play as so many interests would come into play.

I have this convincing feeling that Yar Adua would be our friend and make a good president, at least he would be a sharp contrast to the one who God has just helped us to flush out. The man has pledged that he would be a servant leader. He has also promised that he would live a life that would be a worthy example for all of us. Pray, of all attitudes displayed by Obasanjo, which of them would you consider as a worthy example to emulate? Is it the arrogance? The know-it-all attitude? The deliberate kill-joy attitude (as displayed several times like increasing fuel prices at the time the nation is in a joyous mood)? Shameless and public bickering with his deputy? The unnecessary stubborness? The uncouthness? The ever ready combative nature? The vindictive attitude? The utterings and behaviours that are clearly unpresidential? So much more.

I never wanted Yar Adua initially and this is because of the Obasanjo link that I consider a great liability. I guess he knows this himself and I think he is shrugging it off now. Look at the way the last strike was handled, no arrests were made, nobody was brutalized or even tear-gassed. Come to think of this, when have we ever had a humble leader in this country? A leader who would see power as a tool only to better the country and its citizens?

As far as I am concerned, Yar Adua may be much younger than Obasanjo but I think he is far more matured. Please, let us give him a chance.

(1) (Reply)

President Yaradua - The Messiah? / New Yoruba Leader Emerges In June / Obama's Governor Impeached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.