Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,627 members, 7,851,107 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:35 PM

Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax (40165 Views)

Bread Levy Is Not For Indigenous Bakers- Yahaya Bello / Kogi Bread Levy/Tax: Yahaya Bello Turning Bread Into Stone – Shehu Sani / Sanwo-Olu Suspends Bamidele Balogun For Imposing 5% Levy On Digital Platforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Jaqenhghar: 7:32am On Nov 13, 2020
RedScorpion:

Buhari their master don teach the governors wickedness
This is abive wickedness. This is evil
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 13, 2020
ivandragon:

There are certain basic commodities/products that should not be subjected to 'unreasonable' tax increase & bread is one of them especially considering the rate of poverty in this country.

What the government at all levels should be focused on is increasing the tax net, that is the number of tax payers, rather than the tax fee.

Also, cost of governance needs to be drastically cut especially at the level of expenses incurred by political appointees...

Which, it can be argued at the bolded, the tax on bread is attempting to do

I also agree that cot of governance needs to be cut....but even then, it might not be enough.

Overall our tax to gdp ratio is a low 5.8%.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by engrchykae(m): 7:35am On Nov 13, 2020
gwanggaeto:
Let me see does who will shout APC and PDP in 2023....

Una never shock finish....
I get shock absorber for sales in case you need am to absorb all shocks from the government...

I dey sell Electronics and Household Appliances...visit our website www.goldenleafstore.com today..
don't try zombies oh,zombies will keep voting buhari, because zombies have no future,no stake,no hope,so the zombies being envious of the successful people want buhari to help them make the successful people poor so the zombies won't feel frustration alone.
Give an almajiri a plate of tuwo masala,he will vote in buhari again and again.

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by wolfenstein(m): 7:35am On Nov 13, 2020
Won't be surprised if bread becomes a scarce commodity in kogi state
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by onyxo76(m): 7:36am On Nov 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

We should be paying tax on everything. But plug the holes first.

The bread people will enjoy good roads so they’re not giving their vehicles all the time.
plugging those holes is the issue, do those taxes ever get remitted to the right place?

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 13, 2020
nabiz:
your own mum.u pass yaya bello. So there is no any other source yaya bello can generate revenue in kogi and at the same time creat job. What stop state governments from going into farming or in partnership with farmers to generate revenue. If he can't look for another source of generating revenue let him reduce cost of governance in his state

Well, the state could go into farming, but agriculture is hardly profitable....unless you have large scale farms, and also plant more cash crops.

Still, I have been to Kogi. They produce a lot of cashew, which could earn them a lot of cash (I recall one visit there over ten years ago, where I plucked a lot of cashew for my parents....they were happy with me for that!)...so yes, agriculture could work.

But right noow, the state needs cash yesterday, and taxes is the only way to go till then
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 13, 2020
membranus:

So the next thing is to raise tax on bread, the most common food item on a poor man's table across the world?

Well, considering the alterantive is takinng another loan, which I am sure you won't like , or the state goes broke...which would be infnetly worse....

Tell me in which country have you ever see this being done without the country set on fire?

Yes, from the historical perspective, it is risky and yes, can provoke violent revolt.(and on a lesser scale capital flight, and bread smuggling into Kogi..best case scenairo)..but the alterantive is financial collapse which can provoke something worse than a revolt....anarchy of a level seen in any apocalyptic movie...

Unless you have a secret and wise plan to beg the Saudis and the Russians to raise oil prices to $150 per barrel. (I am willing to try anything, even the arcane arts to persuade them....)

By the way, many countries tax things like sugary drinks, and alcohol. And even petrol.(There are eight countries that have taxes on junk food even)

Hope you are ok?

I am much obliged to you for your concern about my health. I am, in the words of the immortal English author C.D....in statu quo.

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Brushstrokes20: 7:47am On Nov 13, 2020
Dammmmmmmmnnnn it!... Useless govt of self serving thieves!
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by yaki84: 7:47am On Nov 13, 2020
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I not opposed to this and I think most won’t be opposed to it if the revenue collected goes directly to community infrastructure development.

We don’t pay tax here in Nigeria and we need to.

But we’ve got to plug the holes first.

Exactly.

The truth is, Nigerians don't like paying taxes....even if you can prove to them that the money would be used for what it should be used,

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by dammyz101(m): 8:17am On Nov 13, 2020
If you hear news coming out from naija atimes, you no go fit shout. This one tire me bcus if i wan talk, na book i go write. Agebo Hustlers, God bless ona ooh. This country na wao!
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by afroxyz: 8:23am On Nov 13, 2020
leo22:
I do not know why BMC goes to sleep on threads like these, any news about the government embezzlement of funds or tightening the hardship screws on poor citizens they take holiday.

By una dey select posts to comment?

You would never see that useless Ozoandnengitheory on threads like this

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by melbourne10: 8:23am On Nov 13, 2020
It baffles me the way state government in Nigeria go about generating IGR. They cannot think out of the box,all they know is to get allocation from FG and squander the money.
Imagine Kogi state government trying to levy bakeries on every bread produce,this is compounding problem for the common man instead of alleviating the problem because the burden and increase in cost would be transferred to the common man out there and also amount to double taxation on the part of the company and the final consumer because,
1. The company pays Company income tax
2. There is VAT of 7.5% on the flour,sugar,salt e.t.c that the company use for baking.
3. Their staff pay tax PAYE to the state government. So with all this why still impose levy on bread which is the food for the common man.
That brings me back to the issue of IGR, every state has abundant resources which they can harness and improve on their IGR viz: Gold,coal, palm oil e.t.c
State government can go the same way the federal government has done by establishing an equivalent of the NSIA (Nigerian sovereign investment authority) at the state level,the states can invest in healthcare,transport,agriculture,investing in foreign bonds with top investment companies like Goldmansach,JP Morgan chase,HSBC, and all these would generate funds for the state,instead of compounding the problem of the common man.

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 13, 2020
melbourne10:
It baffles me the way state government in Nigeria go about generating IGR. They cannot think out of the box,all they know is to get allocation from FG and sausage the money.
Imagine Login state government trying to levy bakeries on every bread produce,this is compounding problem for the common man instead of alleviating the problem because the burden and increase in cost would be transferred to the common man out there and also amount to double taxation on the part of the company and the final consumer because,
2. There is VAT of 7.5% on the flour,sugar,salt e.t.c that the company use for baking.
3. That staff pay their tax PAYE to the state government. So with all this why still impose levy on bread which is the food for the common man.
That brings me back to the issue of IGR, every state has abundant resources which they can harness and improve on their IGR viz: Gold,coal, palm oil e.t.c
State government can go the same way the federal government has done by establishing an equivalent of the NSIA (Nigerian sovereign investment authority) at the state level,the states can invest in healthcare,transport,agriculture,investing in foreign bonds with top investment companies like Goldmansach,JP Morgan chase,HSBC, and all these would generate funds for the state,instead of compounding the problem of the common man out there.

Wise words on marble.

The problem is, the states still need money immediatey and need it now , and taxes , while harsh, are the quickest way to raise money....especially as it takes time to get investors to exploit the natural resources....and it takes time for a Sovergn wealth fund to generate enough cash
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:37am On Nov 13, 2020
Death on arrival pim they wouldn't get
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by expliciit: 8:42am On Nov 13, 2020
Kogi has been very unfortunate in terms of leadership, this was a governor who kept borrowing money like kilode in his first tenure: Before he came on board Kogi debt profile is less than #25B, please go and check Kogi debt profile now is over #100Billion, and there is nothing to show for it in around the state, Check a state like Ebonyi that Kogi takes more federal allocation more than, even in terms of INternal revenue Kogi generates more than Ebonyi, look at the development in Ebonyi , while Kogi is like a slump. The governor has borrowed too much money so no bank is interested in giving him money anymore, so what the government resolve to do now is pay civil servants % of their salaries, including pensionaires like my mum who takes #10,000 as pension the government has slashed it to 5k no explanations for all these deductions and the stealing goes on. Kogi commissioner for finance was a guy who works in zenith bank here in Lokoja, these are people we know, when a friend show me the numbers of houses the commissioner wife’s owns in Lokoja, so many multiple flats, I just wander the greed that is driving these guys in government , the masses bears the pain including those who took #5000 from them before voting for them and those who did not vote for them

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Dblaiz(f): 9:23am On Nov 13, 2020
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by RabiuOmaoja: 9:32am On Nov 13, 2020
This is wickedness.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by EgunMogaji2: 9:43am On Nov 13, 2020
onyxo76:
plugging those holes is the issue, do those taxes ever get remitted to the right place?

In the USA, yes.

This is why it’s the dream of seemingly every Nigerian to migrate to developed countries.

The most feared agency in the USA is the IRS.

1 Like

Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Thonee(m): 10:16am On Nov 13, 2020
Kogi govt. have discovered gold, imagine their nonsense.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by onyxo76(m): 10:39am On Nov 13, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

In the USA, yes.

This is why it’s the dream of seemingly every Nigerian to migrate to developed countries.

The most feared agency in the USA is the IRS.
well now i see where you're coming from. Here the taxes will just be diverted to personal pockets.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Yujin(m): 11:20am On Nov 13, 2020
AerialMapper:
Governors are broke

Kogi is levying bread

Kaduna is levying all adults

IGR will be used to fund their families
Lol. Soon there'll be toll gates in every state boundary for the state government to generate money. This is after the federal government has put up theirs.
Black people think from is given... It has never been so. Freedom is taken by every conceivable means. This is just the beginning.
Eventually, the middle class will be wiped out leaving the super rich and the poor yet the terrorists in government will not let the poor rest. They'll release their militia to pillage poor people. Nigeria will be worse than Somalia. Millions will flee and millions will become refugees inside Nigeria. It's all gloomy I see.
Nigeria is bankrupt at present and there's no hope in sight.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Yujin(m): 11:28am On Nov 13, 2020
melbourne10:
It baffles me the way state government in Nigeria go about generating IGR. They cannot think out of the box,all they know is to get allocation from FG and squander the money.
Imagine Kogi state government trying to levy bakeries on every bread produce,this is compounding problem for the common man instead of alleviating the problem because the burden and increase in cost would be transferred to the common man out there and also amount to double taxation on the part of the company and the final consumer because,
3. Their staff pay tax PAYE to the state government. So with all this why still impose levy on bread which is the food for the common man.
State government can go the same way the federal government has done by establishing an equivalent of the NSIA (Nigerian sovereign investment authority) at the state level,the states can invest in healthcare,transport,agriculture,investing in foreign bonds with top investment companies like Goldmansach,JP Morgan chase,HSBC, and all these would generate funds for the state,instead of compounding the problem of the common man.
This tax on bread was the last straw that broke the camel's back in 18th century French Revolution. We shall see how if will fare in Kogi.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by greatefa1011(m): 1:14pm On Nov 13, 2020
Which bread na? Akara bread abi loaf of bread? Nawaoooo
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by greatefa1011(m): 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2020
We go begin sell only akamu be that na for kogite.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Chinemeremjosh0(m): 1:22pm On Nov 13, 2020
kingvick09:
In this country.....we're bleeped
bleep is not enough!! We're screwed to the top
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Chinemeremjosh0(m): 1:26pm On Nov 13, 2020
Una never see anything this is the biggining of una one Nigerian!! Enjoy ur one Nigerian while it last
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by slenderBeam1: 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2020
Every news about KONGI state always implies the name. The reason I hated serving there as a corp member. A state where an indigene poured acid on a corp member. Taaaar!

Sorry to kogites!
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Tundex911: 4:38pm On Nov 13, 2020
As federal government dey do there's, state doing their own....

Comes 2023 una go hear am.

#NewNigeria
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 13, 2020
Time to learn how to bake homemade bread.
Re: Kogi State Bread Levy/Tax by HAccord: 9:03pm On Nov 13, 2020
Whiteshield:

Ikpeazu is not there, Anambra Governor is not there. But you put Ganduje and Sanwo-Olu.

By the way, I see you didn't mention Wike. He has put the fear of God in our dear people.

But your 'our dear people' are not ones jumping from one media house to another shouting 'I no dey kill Igbo people o!' and wasting money inviting, begging and bribing Ohaneze and Igbo governors to save his political hide. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is The Conversation Of Peter Obi & Oyedepo A Deepfake? Fact-Check By FIJ / Imo Is Capital Of Drug Abuse In Southern Nigeria –NDLEA / Nigeria Customs To Grill 12 Officers Allegedly Involved In Petrol Smuggling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.