Stats: 3,151,937 members, 7,814,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me (66670 Views)

Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama / Barack Obama's Daughters, Sasha & Malia Enjoy An Afternoon Stroll / Malia Obama Kissing & Smoking With Her Boyfriend, Rory Farquharson In Public (2) (3) (4)

Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Nobody: 1:23am On Nov 13, 2020
- Barack Obama admits in forthcoming memoir he smoked up to eight or nine cigarettes a day due to stress of being president
- He only stopped when Malia caught him
- Obama faced questions about his smoking when he was president but was never caught on camera smoking a cigarette
- In his tome, he also admits toll presidency took on his marriage to Michelle
- 'A Promised Land' is out on Tuesday

Barack Obama reveals some behind the scenes glimpses of his life in the White House in his forthcoming memoir, including problems in his marriage and how the stress of the job increased his smoking habit.

The 768-page tome, entitled 'A Promised Land' and out on November 17, focuses on Obama's early political career through is first term in the White House. But the book also features some human interest stories, including the former president's struggle to quit smoking.

Obama admits that he would sometimes smoke eight or nine or ten cigarettes a day and look for a 'discreet location to grab an evening smoke,' in the memoir, a copy of which was obtained by CNN.

And he credits his eldest daughter Malia with getting him to quit, writing she 'frowned' at him after 'smelling a cigarette on my breath.'

He said he 'ceaselessly' chewed nicotine gum to stop.

During his presidency there was endless speculation on whether or not Obama had kicked the habit, which he famously promised his wife Michelle he would do before he campaigned for president.

Obama began smoking as a teenager and talked about his struggle to quit.

'As a former smoker I constantly struggle with it,' the then-president admitted during a press conference in 2009. 'Have I fallen off the wagon sometimes? Yes. Am I daily smoker, a constant smoker? No. I don't do it in front of my kids. I don't do it in front of my family. And, you know, I would say that I am 95% cured, but there are times where there are times where I mess up,' he said.

He was never caught on camera smoking during his White House tenure, but there were hints of his habit.

In 2015, during Obama's trip to Germany for a G-7 meeting, a spokesman for the then-Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi posted a photo online that appeared to show Obama holding a pack of cigarettes.

The White House, at the time, said it was not.

During the debt crisis in August 2011, Obama was photographed in the Oval Office with what appeared to be Nicorette gum on his desk.

In his memoir, Obama also writes about how life in the White House took a toll on his marriage.

Malia Obama was 10 and Sasha Obama was seven when their father became president. He and Michelle had been married 16 years when they became the first couple.

Obama hints at frustrations felt by his wife in the fishbowl life of the White House.

The book is the first of two parts coming from the former president - part of a $65 million deal he and Michelle Obama signed with Penguin Random House. The former first lady's book 'Becoming' sold millions of copies when it came out in 2018, setting a high bar of expectations for her husband's book.

In her memoir, Michelle Obama also discussed martial problems, revealing the couple went to marriage counseling in Chicago before their White House tenure, early in their marriage when Obama was in the state legislature.

While she was promoting her book, Michelle Obama told ABC News: 'I know too many young couples who struggle and think somehow, there's something wrong with them.'

'I want them to know that Michelle and Barack Obama — who have a phenomenal marriage and who love each other — we work on our marriage and we get help with our marriage when we need it,' she said.

In his book, Barack Obama also speaks to race relations in the United States, writing it was his own historic election as the nation's first black president that sparked some of the current division in the country.

'It was as if my very presence in the White House had triggered a deep-seated panic, a sense that the natural order had been disrupted,' Obama writes in the book, which was obtained by CNN.

Donald Trump, he claims, sensed the country's mood and took advantage of it to win the White House in the 2016 election.

'Which is exactly what Donald Trump understood when he started peddling assertions that I had not been born in the United States and was thus an illegitimate president. For millions of Americans spooked by a Black man in the White House, he promised an elixir for their racial anxiety,' he writes.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8943061/Obama-admits-smoking-new-memoir-says-stopped-Malia-caught-him.html

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by TecM0: 1:48am On Nov 13, 2020

I need that book when it's out

Rumour has it he takes weed too

I know Joe Biden is also a low-key Omo wobe with the friendship and brotherhood he shares with Obama, only Colorado weed can bring such bond

238 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by MickzyDonald: 2:50am On Nov 13, 2020
There's nothing bad in smoking, too much ain't good

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by theFilmtric: 4:19am On Nov 13, 2020
I'm quite sure he still smokes
Its not something you can quit so easily

PS:For those shouting foul
I'm sure you have a worst habit!

For those shouting liver
Didn't you listen in Biology class
Smoking has nothing to do with the liver its the lungs that are at risk

Its DRINKING that destroys the liver.

theFilmtricsay

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by kayusely70(m): 5:05am On Nov 13, 2020
An Habit Very Difficult To Get Rid Off.

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by starbuck(f): 5:09am On Nov 13, 2020
We are humans 1st before anything smiley smiley

Thank God you gradually got rid of it..

Still don't know why i can't stand smokers

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Juliusmomoh: 6:27am On Nov 13, 2020
MickzyDonald:
There's nothing bad in smoking, too much ain't good
Till your liver got damage..

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by peacekante: 7:28am On Nov 13, 2020
Great president

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Righteousness89(m): 8:36am On Nov 13, 2020
Great indeed!
Very Soon the Sky will crack open and the saints will be taken away! Then men will show who they Really are. Then will u know your great man..

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by MickzyDonald: 9:11am On Nov 13, 2020
Juliusmomoh:
Till your liver got damage..
So far it ain't yours, I've never smoked

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Kyase(m): 9:15am On Nov 13, 2020
TecM0:
I need that book when it's out

Rumour has it he takes weed too
Yeah..... He weeds too

I remember the time obama was coming out for president, he was rumoured he, he smoke 27 packs of cigarettes a week....
He became a role model to one of my elder brother. cheesy

21 Likes

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by TecM0: 9:18am On Nov 13, 2020
Kyase:

Yeah..... He weeds too

I remember the time obama was coming out for president, he was rumoured he, he smoke 27 packs of cigarettes a week....
He became a role model to one of my elder brother. cheesy

Lol. All this Politicians are funny

In one of Buhari's interviews with Sunnewspaper it was revealed he was also an heavy chain smoker back then

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Kyase(m): 9:26am On Nov 13, 2020
TecM0:

Lol. All this Politicians are funny

In one of Buhari's interviews with Sunnews paper it was revealed he was also an heavy chain smoker back then

Yeah I guess that was before the election last year..but for saying that, did you know there was this smoker that was atikulating but decide to vote for Buhari because he once smoked ....
There's this brotherhood with smokers

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by TecM0: 9:28am On Nov 13, 2020
Kyase:

Yeah I guess that was before the election last year..but for saying that, did you know there was this smoker that was atikulating but decide to vote for Buhari because he once smoked ....
There's this brotherhood with smokers

Lol smokers unite

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Kyase(m): 9:29am On Nov 13, 2020
TecM0:

Lol smokers unite
That one dey sha
Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by alphaconde(m): 11:31am On Nov 13, 2020
I knew he was a chain smoker

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Zico5(m): 11:31am On Nov 13, 2020
Very strange. I did not even know at all.
Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by opalu: 11:31am On Nov 13, 2020
Please fathers and mothers, stop bad habits. Not just because of yourselves but because of your children.
Even if you are single, break bad habits so they dont see you doing it. If not they will surely do it. You are their number 1 Hero

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Zyxzzzz: 11:31am On Nov 13, 2020
like father like daughter, your pikin don copy your habit

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Shellsploit: 11:32am On Nov 13, 2020
Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by lindareep: 11:32am On Nov 13, 2020
Deep grin
Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by dynicks(m): 11:32am On Nov 13, 2020
Wetin remain na to form union be that.....NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HIGH FLYERS AND AIRBENDERS (NAHfAb)...

Popular members for now..: Burnaboy, Wizkid, naira Marley, reminisce, slawormir(nairaland's indegenious player)

Meanwhile slawomir welcoming him into the union like......welcome in baba..... A place where your attainance to cloud 9 on a daily is assured!.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by DEHVEHLOP(m): 11:32am On Nov 13, 2020
Happy man
Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Prodigee: 11:32am On Nov 13, 2020
Damnnn Niggarrr
Now that's a real niggarr. Not that trump of a simp!

This space is for sale to Slawormiir. Niggarr hmu for it grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Openbusiness: 11:33am On Nov 13, 2020
The worst president in US history, who wanted young girls to use the same bathroom with boys. The president that pushed the homosexual agenda to push 3 types of sexual orientation into the public space: Male, Female and X gender. Closet gay pretender globalist Anti-christ NWO agent. Mtchwwwww!

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Mindlog: 11:33am On Nov 13, 2020
True Confession. cheesy

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by lyndy69: 11:33am On Nov 13, 2020
The real Baddest... Lol.

To SS3 students writing NECO Exams, check out the NECO Geography Map Reading Solution for your revision.

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 13, 2020
Deceitful being

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by Coldie(m): 11:34am On Nov 13, 2020
This Obama first daughter hottttttttttttt

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by slawormiir: 11:34am On Nov 13, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Obama my niggarrrrr
But he should be a real niggarr

Real niggarrrrs never quit smoking

They smoke till the end of time

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me by funmilade4real(m): 11:34am On Nov 13, 2020
Kin

Ukraine President Zelensky Involved In Car Accident (photos, video) / Mugabe Calls For The Arrest Of Zimbabwean Olympic Team / US Shoots Down Suspected Chinese Spy Balloon Over Atlantic Ocean