Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,598 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today (17456 Views)

#Endsars Protester Kamsi Ibeh Stabbed Like A Thief ‘for Appearing Before Panel’ / Kyari Appears Before Panel, Mounts Defence Against Hushpuppi’s Allegations / Slumped NDDC MD, Pondei, Will Not Appear Again Before Panel – Gbajabiamila (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Islie: 4:47am On Nov 14, 2020
After a week’s break, the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing the alleged shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki tollgate by soldiers on the night of October 20 will resume sitting today (Saturday).

The retired Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel had adjourned on November 7 when its proceedings were frustrated over inability to form quorum due to the boycott of the sitting by the two youth panel members protesting against the freezing of the bank account of #EndSARS promoters by the Federal Government through the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The Nigerian Army, which had been scheduled to testify before the panel then, was unable to do so.

The panel fixed today for the Nigerian Army to return to give its testimony.

The Nigerian Army has listed three Brigadier Generals and one Lieutenant Colonel, who will testify before the panel.

The top military officers, whose statements on oath have already been submitted to the panel, are the Commander of 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Victoria Island, Lagos, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Taiwo; Chief of Staff, 81 Division, Nigerian Army, VI, Lagos, Brig. Gen. Nsikak Edet; Commander, 81 Division Garrison, VI, Brig. Gen. Francis Omata; Commander, 9 Brigade, Ikeja, Brig. Gen. Musa Etsu-Ndagi; and Commanding Officer, 65 Battalion, Bonny Camp, VI, Lt. Col. Salisu Bello.

The military said it is bringing before the panel “expended blank ammunition, which was used to disperse the crowd by firing into the air on 20th day of October, 2020; unexpended 7.62mm ammunition ( a detailed explanation of the use of this ammunition will be given at the hearing); an expended live ammunition and also an unexpended live ammunition (a detailed explanation of these ammunition will be given at the hearing); 13 flash drives containing the recorded videos of the Army involvement in the incident and news report from the British Broadcasting Corporation on the incident and other stations.”

SARS brutality victims narrate ordeal in C’River, Ekiti

Meanwhile, victims of SARS brutality have narrated their ordeals in the hands of the personnel in some states.

They spoke during the sitting of judicial panels set up by the state governments.

Also, a victim of police brutality in Calabar narrated how the police broke into her home, arrested her and took her to Lagos in her night gown.

The victim, Scholastica Ojeka, who was a nursing mother at the time of the incident on September 4, 2014, narrated her ordeal to the Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality and Restitution in Calabar on Friday.

The civil servant told the panel headed by retired Justice Michael Edem that she and her husband had paid a rent of N340,000 for an apartment to a landlord and moved in only for another man to show up and claim to be the landlord.

Ojeka, who testified under oath, narrated how she was arrested with her baby in her apartment in Calabar on September 4, 2014 by men of the Nigeria Police Force and taken to Alagbon in Lagos.

“We were detained in Lagos until my husband went to the Force headquarters in Abuja to lay a complaint and they were directed to let us go. In fact, one of them while apologising said I didn’t tell her that we had someone in Abuja,” she said.

She demanded the sum of N500m and an apology in a national daily as compensation.

The Chairman of the panel, Justice Michael Edem, adjourned sitting to Thursday, November 19.

Also, Mrs Ogunleye Ajayi, the wife of a late Sgt Musiliu Ajayi of the disbanded SARS, told the Ekiti State Judicial Panel on Human Rights Violations by Police Officers and other Persons that her husband’s death still remained a mystery.

The woman, a mother of four, told the panel that she had yet to know the cause of death of her husband, who left home for work hale and hearty on January 2, 2019 but was dead less than two hours after.

She said under cross- examination on Friday, “My husband, who left home on January 2nd, 2019 by 6.30am, never returned home alive. I received an emergency call from Police Hospital in Ado Ekiti by 8:30am only to get there and find out that her husband was dead.

“There were strange bruises on the dead body of my husband and the motorcycle he rode on was parked at the police station. No assistance has come to me from any person, group of persons or any organisation for the care of my children,” he said.

The woman, however, sought government assistance on the care, needs and education of her children which she said was now very difficult for her because her husband was the breadwinner of the family.

Her counsel, Samson Osobu, told the panel that three witnesses would testify on the case.

The panel requested for the investigation report from the police on the matter and then adjourned the case for continuation on November 24, 2020.

Meanwhile, the Osun State Deputy Governor, Mr. Benedict Alabi, has suggested how future protests by Nigerians could be organised to achieve results.

Alabi, who spoke in Iwo on the sidelines of an event organised by the leadership of the All Progressives Congress for the adoption of Governor Adegboyega Oyetola for another term, said a protest without a leader would be hijacked.

https://punchng.com/lekki-shootings-four-generals-others-testify-before-panel-today/

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by HandmadeD: 5:23am On Nov 14, 2020
Nothing new. Same old theory.
God bless Lord Lugard wherever he is for the life we are currently enjoying

We couldn't have been any better without him

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by helinues: 6:10am On Nov 14, 2020
Not expecting any reasonable outcome from the meeting

11 Likes

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Kezifils(m): 6:13am On Nov 14, 2020
The panel is wasting everyone's time. Nothing will come of it. This is Nigeria.

I sincere hope they prove me wrong but then again, this is Nigeria.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by CodeTemplar: 6:23am On Nov 14, 2020
is s. o. bello among?

1 Like

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by GOFRONT(m): 6:41am On Nov 14, 2020
tongue
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Moferere: 6:43am On Nov 14, 2020
They will come and lie as usual

4 Likes

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by ZKOSOSO(m): 6:53am On Nov 14, 2020
Story story ......demonstration of lies.
Everything fully planned. Nothing would come out of this.

1 Like

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by peacekante: 6:54am On Nov 14, 2020
grin

I hope there will not be contradiction of sort from what Sanwo Olu said in this video during his interview with CNN when the Generals appear there today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tiFZ8NCeTc

4 Likes

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by inoki247: 7:14am On Nov 14, 2020
I know say Naija case they get K Leg at the end of the day dem go throwaway the Mata for canal nd say lack of enough evidence or say the sitting is illegal and the panel lack jurisdiction...

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by GreaterFuture(m): 8:44am On Nov 14, 2020
Formalities and Deceit, Smh. No need to read Rubbish
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by CompetentDesign(m): 8:44am On Nov 14, 2020
The truth can’t be hidden for long

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Like

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by prodev985: 8:45am On Nov 14, 2020
We are watching.
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by SmartPolician: 8:45am On Nov 14, 2020
It's a good thing that the military is beginning to reformat its own memory

These guys have to understand that Nigeria is a democracy.

Civilians, not soldiers, rule the country and everything must obey civil authorities
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Brendaniel: 8:46am On Nov 14, 2020
The south is learning the hard way, thanks to the south-west and part of south-south, by 2023 una eye go clear...

Note: I am neither an IPOB nor Jonathan band wagon, I don't support both so don't quote me if you think in that direction....

arantess:

your point is?

My point is the south west and part of south south have betrayed the south east twice and this is where we are as a nation today, the entire south is learning a very brutal lesson and it will continue till the entire south unite, the problem in this country is people don't go through history to see patterns, behaviour, reasons of past governance and the the attitude of certain interests of governance from the north, this has been going on for as long as you can imagine even before the Biafran war, study history and you will see a lot...

mrugly:

If you are conversant with your Bible, have you ever read where Jesus Christ was blaming Judas Iscariot for His arrest?

Go get yourself a life Mr Saviour

grin you are very funny, you compare Jesus Christ and Nigeria, kai!!! Firstly, Jesus Christ predicted his betrayal and even told Judas Iscariot about it, so who told Nigerians that the south west and part of south south will betray the south east twice? since you are bringing the Bible into this, maybe we will liken it to where Peter denied Jesus 3 times and the cock crowed, The south west and part of south south that has betrayed the south east twice and the cock( Buhari) has crowed, please don't do a third one because the crow will be very loud...

jaytii:
I see a lot of people have already made up there mind that whatever they say is a lie. This shows how gullible most Nigerians can actually be, what happened to the principle of "audi alteram partem" it's bad enough that both sides have already gone against the part of equity that says "he who comes to equity must come with clean hands" the people recycled old pictures and videos claiming it was from the night of 10-20-20, the military also claimed they were never there, 2 wrongs.

At this point, it's only wise to detach yourself from previous judgements you might have made and hear both sides, their truth and their lies (which I trust we'd all be smart enough to discern).

You see that's the problem with Nigerians, The question is did the military go to lekki toll gate to shoot, firstly if they admit they were there, they are wrong, secondly if they admit they shot whether blank bullets or real bullets then they are also wrong, nothing justifies that in a democratic setting, whether people died or not, that is what good governance is all about, you don't use military on citizens, highest is police, then you are here trying to justify something that is wrong, that's why the country is where it is today, people don't even know what good governance is about, like you telling me a man attempted to rape a woman and he wasn't successful, then you justify the act by saying after all she wasn't successfully raped so the man can go free, please let's call a spade a spade, the military is wrong by going to lekki toll gate for any reason...

jaytii:

I didn't justify anyone's actions in my post..

My own is let's hear all sides of the story, ask reasonable questions and ensure justice is served.

You are justifying it, was the military supposed to be there? for that reason alone, case closed, the military is wrong, whoever ordered them should be made accountable for it, why do we make things look so hard in this country? under someone's watch billions will be missing and they will start investigation and committee will be sitting down asking questions, if billions are missing under your watch you should be held accountable for it, it is as good been guilty if you cannot produce the person who stole it, if the country was a bank do you think politicians will not be held accountable for missing monies even if it was not them who stole it, that's why the country is where it is today, no accountability...

4 Likes

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Amoto05(m): 8:46am On Nov 14, 2020
ok
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by chatinent: 8:46am On Nov 14, 2020
A sorry apology of a country.
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by southsouthking(m): 8:47am On Nov 14, 2020
We are eagerly awaiting the report of detective Fashola findings from the Camcorder he detected.

Nigeria my kontri.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by ILoveDemMANNA: 8:47am On Nov 14, 2020
i will be outside the venue waiting to hear what they have to say
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by TecM0: 8:49am On Nov 14, 2020
Lol
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by ObaKlaz: 8:51am On Nov 14, 2020
Maybe you have not noticed yet... The momentum is fizzling out. The same evil status quo we rose against is returning gradually. Politicians are returning to 'business as usual'. Nigerians are relapsing to their docility.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 14, 2020
Unfortunately, the only thing that will come out of this kangaroo panel is nothing but absolute lies.
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by TalkTalkTwins(m): 8:52am On Nov 14, 2020
As more information on the deeds of these SARS personnel emerge, I keep wondering the fate of the Earth planet in the next generation embarassed
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by arantess: 8:55am On Nov 14, 2020
Brendaniel:
The south is learning the hard way, thanks to the south-west and part of south-south, by 2023 una eye go clear...

Note: I am neither an IPOB nor Jonathan band wagon, I don't support both so don't quote me if you are that direction....
your point is?

1 Like

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by jaytii(f): 8:57am On Nov 14, 2020
I see a lot of people have already made up their mind that whatever they say is a lie. This shows how gullible most Nigerians can actually be, what happened to the principle of "audi alteram partem" it's bad enough that both sides have already gone against the part of equity that says "he who comes to equity must come with clean hands" the people recycled old pictures and videos claiming it was from the night of 10-20-20, the military also claimed they were never there, 2 wrongs.

At this point, it's only wise to detach yourself from previous judgements you might have made and hear both sides, their truth and their lies (which I trust we'd all be smart enough to discern).

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 14, 2020
And may the law prevail
Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by Ade3131: 9:00am On Nov 14, 2020
ObaKlaz:
Maybe you have not noticed yet... The momentum is fizzling out. The same evil status quo we rose against is returning gradually. Politicians are returning to 'business as usual'. Nigerians are relapsing to their docility.

You're right. It's gradually getting back to business as usual but you know what? It's dawn on me that Nigeria might not work out after all, so if anyone desire a better life, his/her best bet is to exit this country. There's no sign of things getting any better

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by psucc(m): 9:01am On Nov 14, 2020
The only good thing about this Panels is that people are relieving their pains by saying it out.

Away from that, na the Panel members gain!

1 Like

Re: Lekki Shootings: Four Generals, Others Testify Before Panel Today by ObaKlaz: 9:09am On Nov 14, 2020
Ade3131:

You're right. It's gradually getting back to business as usual but you know what? It's dawn on me that Nigeria might not work out after all, so if anyone desire a better life, his/her best bet is to exit this country. There's no sign of things getting any better
True. It's like the country is so jinxed that things that are supposed to work just come undone.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IMF Excludes Nigeria From Debt Relief / Flooding: Kogi Ask Residents To Relocate To Higher Grounds / Maduka Dazzles Ndi Anambra In Lagos As Ozigbo, Okonkwo Present Manifesto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.