Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:09 AM

Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy (45829 Views)

Nigerians In The UK Are Asked To Bring £30 For BVN / Will My Coming To America Or Uk Make Me Stingy? / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Jackal(m): 3:23am On Jul 05, 2007
@ Kitaun,

How OLD are u if i may ask?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omogenaija(f): 3:24am On Jul 05, 2007
@ topic

ppl in UK or anywhere r not responsible for u , take care of urselves
and ppl r stingy which they arent , its between them and God
but nobody owes u anything
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Nobody: 3:26am On Jul 05, 2007
back to Nigerians in UK topic

My advice to anyone,be careful about visiting Nigerians over there in the winter.
They ration their heat supply. grin
Some use a coin operated heater,no coin,no heat,as simple as that.
I know we'll all die someday but "frozen to death" is not a good obituary announcement.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 3:29am On Jul 05, 2007
@Omogenaija

u r having a laff!!!  grin  grin  grin

maybe its just u guys that got ur pops/or maybe rich uncles to sponsor u that feel this way sha shocked

u mean u r not responsible no more to the people who STRIVED hard to deny themselves of some luxury/ies for u to get to your promised land? undecided

@Jackal

u know my age range, thats enuff for you . . . tongue

that reminds me, u never answered Akolawole when he asked the same Q tongue  grin
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by soulpatrol(f): 3:31am On Jul 05, 2007
i don't know when it became compulsory to give something to everyone that asks you. far as i'm concerned, i dont owe nobody nothing. the only people i will make the effort to help when they ask for it, are my folks that struggled to send me here and my siblings (which they are even considerate enough not to ask for anything, God bless them, because they understand my present situation). its surprising how the so-called friends that didn't have your back at home, are the ones that start calling you non-stop the minute you get here. hiss! and they have the audacity to complain and say things like "i called your phone 20 times, why didn't you pick up?" like, duh, if i didn't pick up, i must've been BUSY! and they keep calling continously even though its obvious you're not there at the moment to answer your phone.  shocked when i see a missed call like 50 times from the same number, i already know the nuisance thats calling. tongue
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omogenaija(f): 3:37am On Jul 05, 2007
soulpatrol:

i don't know when it became compulsory to give something to everyone that asks you. far as i'm concerned, i don't owe nobody nothing. the only people i will make the effort to help when they ask for it, are my folks that struggled to send me here and my siblings (which they are even considerate enough not to ask for anything, God bless them, because they understand my present situation). its surprising how the so-called friends that didn't have your back at home, are the ones that start calling you non-stop the minute you get here. hiss! and they have the audacity to complain and say things like "i called your phone 20 times, why didn't you pick up?" like, duh, if i didn't pick up, i must've been BUSY! and they keep calling continously even though its obvious you're not there at the moment to answer your phone. shocked when i see a missed call like 50 times from the same number, i already know the nuisance thats calling. tongue

girl thanks , maybe kiatun will understand ur explaination

@ kiatun
who is being stingy to u ?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 3:54am On Jul 05, 2007
@oMOGENAIJA

I am a man of my own means cheesy

even when I'd not come of age, my elder folks were always miffed at my independence, they were born there, I wasnt, but that for me wasnt translatable to depending on them for my daily sustenance . . .so geedit; no one is being stingy to me, even if so, what happned to the word IGNOREwink

@Soulpatrol

I know how it is jare . . .even here in Naija people who havent got any excuse to even ask u, atimes take u for being stingy if u don't settle them from time to time, especially if them see say u dey ok wink  grin

I have not said its compulsory to give anyone kulikuli but like u said your parents even if rich at least should feel ur impact cool
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omogenaija(f): 3:55am On Jul 05, 2007
@ kiatun

do u @ least realise that ppl aboard owe ppl in nigeria nothing ?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 4:04am On Jul 05, 2007
to each person his own!!! cheesy

what I have been saying remains unchanged;

THE MAIN PEOPLE U OWE J@#KSH*T ARE THE PPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR UR GETTING WHERE U ARE!!! cheesy

BE IT UR FAMILY, FRIENDS OR EVEN FOES cool

ALL ALONG MY VIEWS ON STINGINESS HAVE BEEN HINGED ON HOMELY RESPONSIBILITIES REMEMBER? wink
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omogenaija(f): 4:07am On Jul 05, 2007
taking care of ur parents and kids is all good.
but aunts , cousins, and friends starts to get to much , especially when u dont have it
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by soulpatrol(f): 4:07am On Jul 05, 2007
hmm me thinks people in nigeria at least you guys have relatives and family that can help you out financially. ha, when i got here, no family around, no one i can run to for financial support. even friends here don't just dole out money like that. worst comes to the worst, when you're deadbroke, you can get a loan, as long as you have some kind of collateral or assurance that you will pay back. and wetin man go use for collateral sef? shey na the house wey you never buy yet, or the car wey you still dey make payments on? i tire o! you guys at least you have people you can run to for help. e no easy for this end if your relatives no dey nearby. na by yourself you go rough am. undecided
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:11am On Jul 05, 2007
What irritates me about people back home is the fact that the ones who are calling you for money are not even the ones who sincerely need your help.
When I wen back home 2005 I saw the ones that need my help, those ones cannot even afford the cell phone, let alone the credit to call.
Those are the relatives and friends that need my help, and I will help them by God's grace
If my relatives back home who can afford to call me ask me for money, I simply tell them I am a student and do not have the funds to capicitate their request. I just hate dropped calls though!!!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Chechis(m): 7:34am On Jul 05, 2007
Ebe Eliza, u de craze? Na wa 4 u o! u U no read other people comments b4 u post ur own? Who u see there wey de insult others? Abi na u de provoke pass?

I take serious exception to your derogatory choice of words!!! What insult! How can u refer to Nigerian guys and girls as EWU AWUSA? People like you should not be allowed in a forum like this! U no fit control you temper, abi your mouth de run? Your post smacks of stupidy. Yes, it has to be said! God pass u o!

One love to all my brodas and sistas in the UK. We share in your struggle. Ee go beta.

Xtremely Nigerian!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Pelican(m): 8:40am On Jul 05, 2007
Well, the simple truth is that there are stingy Nigerians abroad just as there are generous caring ones.

Some people made their way abroad thanks to the goodness of a friend. The problem is that while there is a good system abroad and wonderful infrastructures, life there does not give room for waste! The system is so ordered that it gets back as much as it gives you through tax and bills.

A Nigerian can survive for a month without a kobo in his pocket, he can bump into friends at meal time and get something no matter how small, but that is not the case abroad because of tight budgetting. I know of some Nigerian students who made it through school thanks to fellow schoolmates. Nigerians by nature are by and large generous, I tell you, but the system abroad usually makes it not too easy.

Having said that, it is also true that many Nigerians have very false view of life abroad. Many think you pluck money there. Get it right, if you must survive there, you must work very very hard for it. Except of course those who give us bad names!

If our government can put the basic things in place, Road, Power, Security, Good Education system etc, sincerely speaking Nigeria is a better place to live in. Going abroad would have just been a matter of vacation.

Let's pray and hope we'll get there someday very soon.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by slimfella(m): 8:50am On Jul 05, 2007
@fromuk

grin I couldnt stop laughing my head off. Abeg life for jand no easy joo grin grin
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by slimfella(m): 9:38am On Jul 05, 2007
Lets face it. I think a lot of Nigerians are too dependent on others. I know that occasionally one might need a hand but when it becomes an every day thing then its has got WRONG written all over it. Here in Naija you get never ending calls, from cousins,aunts,friends, all in dire need (because them feel say you don hammer). If you dont help you seen as Stingy.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Elgaxton(m): 9:46am On Jul 05, 2007
omogenaija:

@ topic

people in UK or anywhere r not responsible for u , take care of urselves
and people r stingy which they arent , its between them and God
but nobody owes u anything

Where u? Uk pple cannot take care of me to start with, so far be it from u that I need anything from any of u

workaholicks, By the way if you are really sincere with yourself u should know that when a man travels abroad, he's

goin there for a honorable jab not for a low minded man's job

I don't need any person's help is just that it bugs me to see beautiful nigerians settle for less with a horrible

mentality

for that matter, habba!

@Slimfella;

I feel u but my own is the mentality of some nigerians in UK

It pisses me off mehn!

No be person get the cafes wey una dey wash plate for there?

Hey it's not bad to do meaner jobs but what are ur plans for life? to work as a meagerly earner all ur life?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Elgaxton(m): 10:10am On Jul 05, 2007
In Fact Nigerians in Uk are STINGY, HOOO! HAAA!!

na so one dey travel come back one time na CHOCOLATE e see buy for the whole UK, ah ah

I'm tellin u, this is someone i know to be a correct giver, I mean this person is doing very well I'm not talkin about a starter

in the UK, carry one small bucket of chocolate come decorate am with some kind ribbon.

I could not even guess it was choco! Damn My friends laughed at me eh! kai, lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by soulpatrol(f): 12:14pm On Jul 05, 2007
abi o. see the display of ingratitude this one is already displaying. somebody even brought you something, and you dey laugh. chei!  angry thats the thing with people like you, no matter what you do, even if it is a house they build for you, it will never be enough. you better get a life and stop expecting things from others.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by soulpatrol(f): 12:14pm On Jul 05, 2007
na only chocolate you dey complain about, i hope your friend brings back NOTHING next time. smiley
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Elgaxton(m): 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2007
soulpatrol:

na only chocolate you dey complain about, i hope your friend brings back NOTHING next time. smiley

nothing would be much better than chocolate!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Elgaxton(m): 12:24pm On Jul 05, 2007
Siena:

Two words sum up this thread.

Sour grapes! grin

How do ya mean?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by honeyzz(f): 12:55pm On Jul 05, 2007
well i thinks that the real solution to this prolem would be nigerians livin in the uk takin the time out ot explain that life aint that easy.it really isnt.in the uk there is absolutely nobody to run to for any help.i think am really spoilt here collecting my salary,living at home for free,even eating breakfast and sometimes dinner for free a when am even broke my dad chips in.i think most of them in the in the uk do not have that luxury,if u are livin at homw sef u go chip in for rent sometimes abi u wan kill ur papa.its really HARD For them.i remember a friend telling me all she had to pay for and i really felt sorry for her.Its really hard i know but i think theres a good side to this,it makes u grow up and makes u more responsible in the long run.in naija i know 30 year old guys who are earning well and would still want to live at home rent free.all in all people in naija should learn to be sensitive to those living in the uk and those in the uk should understand that not all those in naija are beggars.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by luka: 1:27pm On Jul 05, 2007
Well I guess the soluion to the problem lies innate in us as Nigerians, irrespectve of the fact of where we live.

Nigerians always expect something in return for a service rendered (to be truthhful myself inclusive) whether that service is what they are paid for or not.

You enter an eatery for your lunch when leaving the doorman expects a tip if you don't give you are stingy.

You buy fuel regularly from a filling station and you can't for once leave a change of 20 naira you are stingy.

The worst of all is in your office where the cleaners, security guards or those that provide ancillary service expect something every friday for weekend, if you don't give you are stingy.

Now to the one that concerns me you go the extra mile to satisfy a customer than December comes or any other opportunity comes you expect something from them. If they don't give they are stingy.

No one owes anybody anything and we shouldn't look up to anybody for anything(apart from students that have sponsors). The only people that owe anybody anything is your employer.

Everbody decides how to spend his/her income. Those in Uk can't because of pleasing a secondary school friend spend more on communication when they have pressing needs.

I for one will never be angry if you don't give me fish to eat, I only will if you don't teach me how to catch fish.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omoge(f): 1:45pm On Jul 05, 2007
it seems someone no give the poster Elgaxton money he asked for and he is using style lol  grin grin
cheer up my brother  grin grin cheesy. you see Hershey chocolate and you dey complain eh?  grin grin grin grin

family stretching you, friends stretching you, and they are smart fa  grin that they prefer you to call them as it's easy to ask for money in that way than in emails.

giving (in this situation calling you or giving you money) is a thing of the heart. you don't have to ask someone anything or to do something before that person remembers you cool. again, don't wait/count on your friends abroad. make new friends where you are. Remember they have their life where they are now with maybe wife/family or girlfriend and new friends.

Nigerians in Naija should stop asking those abroad for money sha wink
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Elgaxton(m): 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2007
omoge:

it seems someone no give the poster Elgaxton money he asked for and he is using style lol grin grin
cheer up my brother grin grin cheesy. you see Hershey chocolate and you dey complain eh? grin grin grin grin

family stretching you, friends stretching you, and they are smart fa grin that they prefer you to call them as it's easy to ask for money in that way than in emails.

giving is a thing of the heart. you don't have to ask someone anything before that person remembers you cool

solution: Nigerian should stop asking those abroad for money wink

, LOL

I'm not in the groove of asking pple for cash Jare, just that The mentality of oour bros and sis gets me scared and,

I'm a big boy on my own so I dont go about asking pple for cash but about there own welfare

By the way chocolate groove was a long time ago, some four years ago so this thread aint about that!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Elgaxton(m): 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2007
honeyzz:

all in all people in naija should learn to be sensitive to those living in the uk and those in the uk should understand that not all those in naija are beggars.

all those in naija are not beggars

Well said honey,

Y person go carry half a million or there about travel come dey complain,

them for just stay naija enjoy business!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Panache(m): 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2007
I don't know where people get this idea from but life is not easy anywhere. On a funny note (true story), a custom lady was mad at me the last time I passed through MMA, we had a heated debate on tip and I was shocked when she look me from head to toe and shoute "Oga, no be Europe you dey live now!".

How do you survive with 50 cousins calling you asking from their share. I thought my sister a big life lesson last month. I sponspored her to the UK for 3 month just to see how people hustle to survive. She left after a month and promised to take her naija bank job serious. Life is not always greener on the other side.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Elgaxton(m): 2:51pm On Jul 05, 2007
Panache:

I don't know where people get this idea from but life is not easy anywhere. On a funny note (true stry), a custom lady was mad at me the last time I passed through MMA, we had a heated debate on tip and I was shocked when she look me from head to toe and shoute "Oga, no be Europe you dey live now!".

How do you survive with 50 cousins calling you asking from their share. I though my sister a big life lesson just like month. I sponspored her to the UK for 3 month just to see how people hustle to survive. She left after a month and promised to take her naija bank job serious. Life is not always greener on the other side.[b][/b][i][/i]

Some pple will still read dis ur post and carry their big head to UK!!! to go and hustle

Oh how that word pisses me off

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by bluesky4(f): 2:53pm On Jul 05, 2007
yes nigerians in the UK are stingy
If this annoys u so much, don't call them no more. I'm sure they have forgotten all bout u anyways.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by FemiD(m): 2:54pm On Jul 05, 2007
Intersting thread.

I really will like to agree a bit with the notion of the poster (based on popular sentiments alone) but the truth is that I really haven't asked anybody (except my uncle) for anything and I really won't be able to judge anyone as stingy or not. At the time I asked my uncle (very close uncle), the idea was that he should get me a laptop probably one that he is not using anymore for my project. He replied and confirmed he was in a position to get me a new one as it wasn't really expensive getting it from there but that was the best I heard from him. The rest were stories: it's either he is having a problem shipping it, or he has some other things he will be shipping in and I should expect it soon or his friend should be coming home soon,

Anyway, I have since learnt my lessons - it's been almost a decade now and I can tell you the laptop has cease to be an issue to me. As a matter of fact I think I can even afford to buy for people (don't mind me on this one, just bragging). More importantly, I did my project then without my own personal computer and it was still one of the best. Since then, whenever i feel the urge to ask for a thing, what comes to my mind is that if I can get by my project without my uncle's laptop, I can get by without begging anybody irrespective of where you abode (uk, usa or even mars).

As for friends, when my friends step out of the country they are out for good. I don't need their calls, what for? Let them be o jare. Except for emails, I don't even ask them for their phone numbers, I only have their numbers when they deem it fit. & Why will I beg from my friend who we were probably brought into this world about the same time - does he have two heads? I am sure the reasons why some uk people have been running their mouth without caution is not unconnected with the opprobrious manner some native nigerians present themselves. I give my friends a challenge anytime they come around so much so that some wish they can stay back.

Let them keep getting stingy, na them sabi

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 05, 2007
Abeg, Who said 9ja people are  beggars, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm if i here that again from some one i go make sure i trace him family and deport dem go LONDON.  grin grin

infact most of those   guys here Talking about nija this and that, are not true son and daugther of nija. angry

to you tell 9ja is rich, and for those guys in london NIGERIANS ARE NOT BEGGERS I am a true son of 9ja even though i am currently not living there but, i make sure i call my friends over there. there is no big deal in calling your friend over there at 9ja, or do you want to tell that it is only in london that every thing is time.

Mind you i have a friend at london (central london) i ways call him but, funny enougth  he call but not always, he alway complaine is and that.

so to my Good People at nija if you want to travell abroad plz dont try LONDON okay unless officially. other wise you will join there  league   grin grin

so try somewere else. wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Air Force Plane Suffers Tyre Burst, Overshoots Runway (Picture) / Driver Crashes His Mercedes Benz SUV In A Freak Accident In Lagos. Photos / Can You Guess Where This Is Located? (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.