Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,900 members, 7,956,399 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:16 AM

Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy (47269 Views)

Nigerians In The UK Are Asked To Bring £30 For BVN / Will My Coming To America Or Uk Make Me Stingy? / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by darfur(m): 8:22pm On Jul 04, 2007
on a more serious note. this whole issue depends on who is calling, when and why the call is being made. my elder brother left nigeria in 1994 to work in the western world. he lives in the states and each time he called home all we are interested is wehter he has eaten, has warm clothes, is safe, we ask about housing, wether he is suffering any racial abuse, etc. it took about 2 yrs b4 he started sending small small money home. each time he sent money, we ask if he has left enough to take care of him. on 9/11 we all called him to ensure he wasn't affected. i never asked him for a penny until 1999. 5 yrs after he left for the states. that was when he gave me about $200 and when i got the money i was scared he may starve a few days for that, that is the spirit of a brother/real friend. one who really cares.

i left nigeria '05 to study and someone is calling me 2 months after i left asking for money, e dey craze?  angry

i still have a sister in nigeria and she calls me asking if i have any problem. my dad is worried anytime he doesn't hear from me in 2 weeks if i'm ok. each time there is a terror threat in the UK she is the 1st to call me to ensure i'm ok cheesy that is someone who cares cool  even telling me she can send a few quid to help me out grin

i have a friend who also calls regularly. i also call him. anybody expecting money from me who doesn't know if i have had lunch (yes, some of us struggling nigerians in the UK don't have food sometimes grin ) go tire for the calls. any naija number i no know de waste time. anyone wey catch me unawares by the time i don tell am all my problems, he go forget why e call me grin grin
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by hbrednic: 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2007
@spikedcylinder
yes na true,na so dem dey talk.
man mi dey for london, madam bring more guilder for us jare.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by darfur(m): 8:40pm On Jul 04, 2007
meanwhile de manb wey dey london de suffer for cold grin grin de live for one tiny room wey e dey pay £200 per month.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by romeo(m): 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2007
darfur:

i hear the ones in spain are so tight that they are looking for a new word to distiguish them from just being stingy grin infact so tight fisted that they even decide to speak spanish when they don't want to answer calls making the miserable caller from nigeria wondering if it was wrong number grin grin grin

Thank God say our case na only rumour (dem hear say we dey yarn panya for phone) grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by darfur(m): 9:01pm On Jul 04, 2007
no rumour without an element of truth somewhere grin i can prove it now if you want grin
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by hbrednic: 9:06pm On Jul 04, 2007
cold or no cold, if u like make u sick sef,that one na your wahala be that
the only thing the want to hear is the control number for western union.

me i don turn to spirit longest time grin,no matter how them flash reach
they no go ever see my break light.

stingy ko stingy ni,monkey dey work baboon dey chop no dey for my diccionary cool cool
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Caradona(f): 9:10pm On Jul 04, 2007
@ TOPIC

Things are hard in US too
Things are so hard in US, that even my sister have to send her dog to work. shocked
The poor Animal have to work at a local security firm or else they will both starve.
the dog brings home $80 a week minus Pet life insurance and taxes.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 04, 2007
hey whoever you are don,t you dare do that again seriously it;s not funny how can u say ur dog works u just made me laugh my heart out.nice one thanks for that comment i really loved it shows how hard it is.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by tboy1(m): 10:32pm On Jul 04, 2007
@Caradona

that was really funny, you can imagine, for all we know the dog might be doing overtime as well.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Tats(m): 11:16pm On Jul 04, 2007
Caradona:

@ TOPIC

Things are hard in US too
Things are so hard in US, that even my sister have to send her dog to work. shocked
The poor Animal have to work at a local security firm or else they will both starve.
the dog brings home $80 a week minus Pet life insurance and taxes.

I almost collapsed with laughter after reading your piece on a dog working! It was damn too funny. Nice one.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by oludunamis(m): 12:10am On Jul 05, 2007
@samsilo
good analysis, only u forgeot to mention very few nigerians are in that income bracket, now imagine the hardship they are going through

@glaton,

bill fit kill u here oh and na true talk
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by freshB2: 12:23am On Jul 05, 2007
For thoz Naijas tha say we should com back home.

don't ever think evryone will remain a 2nd/3rd class citizen in uk or abroad. for sure it is a mata of time- study, work for experience and pepper, prepare, then com home. no doubt about tha.

for thoz of yous wey think we're stingy,

i bet tha youll be worst if you are the ones here. if you mourn for ordinary no-call against your friend wey no get idea of wetin you dey bemourn, WHAT WILL HAPPEN WEN YOUR D ONE HERE; YOURE MISS-CALLED IRRATIONALLY, COMMANDD TO SEND "JUST £", OR WEN YURE WOKEN AT MID-NIGHT BY A HIDDEN NUMBER FROM NAIJA?

WHA WILL HAPPEN WEN YOU CALL BACK TO FIND THA NA BORROWD FONE AND D OWNER NO SABI WHO YOU BI

I BET YOU WILL CURSE!
YOU WILL KILL
YOU WILL BURY
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Jackal(m): 12:48am On Jul 05, 2007
Fucking Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is hilarious.
Nigerians in the UK are stingy? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Try Nigerians in the States. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by twinkledew(f): 1:10am On Jul 05, 2007
Lol. r u just realising that.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by twinkledew(f): 1:14am On Jul 05, 2007
i aint working for no one why shld i be giving free money out. nopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Jackal(m): 1:30am On Jul 05, 2007
Its a standard practice for the folks in Africa to make demands.
Did i say standard practice? Its automatic and u don't even need to have close ties with the person making the demands. grin
It makes u wonder why Nigerians get here and find it difficult to make ends meet.
The demands are HUGE and frustrating.
Its the life we CHOSE.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by eable4lyf: 1:54am On Jul 05, 2007
let every one in 9ja know that abroad is nt easy,sum pple r just hia cos they r hooked already,so y cant u pray 4 us hia instead of bombarding us with requests to do,i remember i ve not spent two months abroad wen sum1 asked 4 200 pounds,its really frustrating
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 2:09am On Jul 05, 2007
and most of chaps abroad especially in UK are truly stingy . . . got my folks included, so I know what am talking tongue

AND i BELIEVE SOME HAVING READ THIS WILL GET STINGIER TO THEIR FOLKS BACK HOME cry

some people here keep ranting about how a friend or relative keep disturbing them for some quids, having forgotten when it was that same person/s fending for him/her, or maybe even the usual cup of garri with fried fish way back then that the guy made sure was regular before u hammer, come enter JAND shocked cheesy

am not defending folks back home, but does Sound Sultan's song Motherland mean anything to anybody? undecided

the basic things to consider are; IS HE A CITIZEN?

DOES HE HAVE PERMANENT RESIDENCY?

WHAT KIND OF WORK DOES HE DO?

IS HE THERE LEGITIMATELY
?

My point is; because of the orientation of British-born chaps, they find it hard to dole money out like its hanging out of their anuses, but for chaps that had to go via communal efforts, by hook or crook, their coming back must reflect their I HAVE ARRIVED STATUS so they tend to be donatuses, and lets not act like we don't know they worked their arses out just to keep some IYA CHARLIE MONEY to spend back home grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Jackal(m): 2:20am On Jul 05, 2007
@ Kitaun,

I disagree with u.
No one is stingy.The economic strain is the factor here.
Can u give what u don't have?
Nigerian immigrants make an average of 250-300 pounds a week.
With imminent mad bills to pay that amount reduces to 20-30 pounds a week!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets do the math. . . . . . It means u have just 80 pounds to save in a month.

How wld u feel when someone calls u up to ask for 600 pounds?
You are skint and the cold weather gets u bleeped up and someone in Lagos needs 600 pounds because he wants to throw a party?
Blimey. . . . . . . U will go ballistic.
Thats the mentality and the reality here.
A lot of people are so skint they are living from hand to mouth.
The income is just enough to take care of an individual and thatz it!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 2:34am On Jul 05, 2007
@JACKAL

I am tempted to give u a big knock on the head tongue  grin

how could u have missed that! shocked

I had already said; it depends on certain factors which I enumerated,

what I said was; some are stingy naturally and would turn the ish about economic realities into alibis to excuse themselves for irresponsible shirking of responsibility embarassed

what do u make of this;

10 years ago, a cousin of mine who stayed with us for some years because he had probs with his stolen Canadian pali, and he had to come from Ibadan to rectify the wahala  . . .to cut short the story, he got back his Canadian P, got some money from my sis to buy some home video cassettes obviously to sell off over there, he got there, sent back 1/2 of her money with a promise to send the remaining later . . .if he would send the remainder back, that would be tomorrow meaning NEVER angry

TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THE MOFO WHEN HE SENT SOMEONE DOWN HOME, ONLY SENT A PACK OF SHAVING STICKS FOR MY POPS!!! shocked angry

FOR BLOODY SAKES, WHY? THIS MAN AINT EVEN HAIRY FOR GODS' SAKE, BWOY WE WERE SO PISSED!!! shocked angry

LETS BE REALISTIC, NOT ALL, BUT SOME ARE JUST PLAIN STINGY!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by soulpatrol(f): 2:42am On Jul 05, 2007
kitaun:

TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THE MOFO WHEN HE SENT SOMEONE DOWN HOME, ONLY SENT A PACK OF SHAVING STICKS FOR MY POPS!!! shocked angry

FOR BLOODY SAKES, WHY? THIS MAN AINT EVEN HAIRY FOR GODS' SAKE, BWOY WE WERE SO PISSED!!! shocked angry

LETS BE REALISTIC, NOT ALL, BUT SOME ARE JUST PLAIN STINGY!!! cool

lmao. lets hope he didn't pick up those shaving sticks from the dollar store/dollarama. grin
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 2:46am On Jul 05, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin grin

angry angry angry FOR THE GUY!!!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Jackal(m): 2:49am On Jul 05, 2007
@ Kitaun,

U will always find bad eggs in every situation.
My point is Nigerians are always snappy to say the folks living abroad are STINGY.
The fact is these people dont even have enough to feed 'emselves, let alone give out.
I understand most guys get to UK or US and start claiming to be what they are not and this increases the parasitic levels around 'em.
Loads of geezers send pictures of someone else's car and crib to deceive folks in Nigeria. Why they do this? I really dunno but its the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!
Eventually, the expectation and demands goes astronomical and people think a guy driving a McLaren should be able to spare 600 quid whereas the guy they are hoping on is a BUS PASS disciple.
Do u get the drift?
A lot of guys really wanna give but they dont have enough to give.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omogenaija(f): 2:56am On Jul 05, 2007
@ poster

nigerians in the Uk are stingy b/c they don't want to waste their money on calling u ? u need to solve your problems in life man,  if the person your callin never calls u then u should get the hint

angry angry

it seems that lots of the nigerians in nigeria just want money when ppl travel , like it rains aboard
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 2:59am On Jul 05, 2007
@JACKAL

Well said!!!

but then if like u said some folks live on 80-120 dollars a week, why dont they deport themselves back home? undecided

why waste away in another man's land when even the folks asking for kisi from u are doing beta?

why live a fake life? shocked

if front no gree u, den u suppose fit trace ur steps back home, what sayest thou?    grin

@Omogenaija

the topic is not dumb; its a very popular notion that Naijas in UK are stingy!!!

only a few us based here actually know whats up, so do not necessarily get sucked into that line of reasoning or get lulled into hasty generalization cool
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omogenaija(f): 3:01am On Jul 05, 2007
well , r u in the Uk ? and r u stingy ?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by chiogo(f): 3:02am On Jul 05, 2007
lol, @omogenaija.

@topic, I don't think anybody is stingy. If u think so, u shld work hard to be where they are too. Idk, naija pple think bein' abroad means swimmin' in money but it's not. pple actually suffer in d so-called abroad, workin' their ass off and all u do is ask them for money. i mean, it's frustratin'. some pple barely see their kids 'cause they have like two jobs. Nobody is stingy, u can only know if u were in their shoes.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by comechop(m): 3:05am On Jul 05, 2007
kitaun:

@JACKAL

Well said!!!

but then if like u said some folks live on 80-120 dollars a week, why don't they deport themselves back home? undecided

why waste away in another man's land when even the folks asking for kisi from u are doing beta?

why live a fake life? shocked

if front no gree u, den u suppose fit trace your steps back home, what sayest thou?    grin

@Omogenaija

the topic is not dumb; its a very popular notion that Naijas in UK are stingy!!!

only a few us based here actually know whats up, so do not necessarily get sucked into that line of reasoning or get lulled into hasty generalization cool
Kituan or whatever, people like you wee dey tire bobos. See the dross/rubbish that is coming out of your mouth, generalizing the whole thing because of ONE stupid example.
Pls jare, if they give you visa go UK or US, you no go fly chap chap come here?
Men if u ever experience life over here you will understand what pple here are talkin about, rather than opening your mouth and saying whatever rummage comes out.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by omogenaija(f): 3:05am On Jul 05, 2007
chiogo:

lol, @omogenaija.

@topic, I don't think anybody is stingy. If u think so, u shld work hard to be where they are too. Idk, naija people think bein' abroad means swimmin' in money but it's not. people actually suffer in d so-called abroad, workin' their ass off and all u do is ask them for money. i mean, it's frustratin'. some people barely see their kids 'cause they have like two jobs. Nobody is stingy, u can only know if u were in their shoes.

thanks girl , u said well
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by Jackal(m): 3:13am On Jul 05, 2007
@ Kitaun,

80-120 pounds a week to live on is still better than roasting away in Nigeria.
If u spend 30 pounds on food in any departmental store u will need a cab to take your stuffs home.
The whole stuffs should last you for 3 months EASILY without having to buy anything.
Food is cheap and when u remove hunger out of any equation it becomes much easier.
Can we say the same in Nigeria? No.

Say for instance u make that kind of money in Nigeria , You still have to worry about the fuel in your generator. Is that a good option?
You still have to sleep with one eye for fear of 'em midnight marauders who breaks in and rip you off your hard-earned money.
Besides, some people don't have anything to fall back on in Nigeria as they sold all their life's worth to cross the Atlantic so why would they deport themselves.
You gotta be here to understand.
I still repeat it. . . . . . . . .90% of the people branded to be stingy are actually not stingy.
They are not bouyant enough to give out is the main reason why they been branded as tight-fisted.
If u don't believe me. . . . . . . . Please relocate and see things urself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by comechop(m): 3:18am On Jul 05, 2007
Thank you Jackal. Nicely said.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are So Stingy by kitaun(m): 3:21am On Jul 05, 2007
@Chiogo

there u go again!

are u saying some peeps are not naturally stingy? undecided

have I not also said that the orientation of our peeps has caused the popular notion? undecided

has Jackal not also affirmed that the fakeness of peeps coming home or overbloated pix of themselves in some Utopia actually make it look like the streets of UK are actually lined with gold?

why ur post saying that people should work hard to get where they are? angry

who told u everyone is particular about traveling out at all cost to anywhere? undecided

do u know some chaps make it there at the expense of some others in their family? wink

have u not heard of some people getting there by mistake? lipsrsealed

GUYS BE REALISTIC FOR ONCE!!! SOME PEEPS SHIRK THEIR HOMELY RESPONSIBILITIES ALL IN THE NAME OF ECONOMIC STRAIN! angry

@Comechop

seems like ur conscience dey worry you? why taking it personal? shocked angry

I have no need to bandy words with you, I bet you cant last more than a few posts in a vituperative session with me, so no need wasting time on u!!! cool

people that know beta understand what am saying, BTW who told u if given the visa I would jump at the offer? embarassed

I travelled last to the UK 25 years ago, so deal with that!!! BTW u dont even know the first and last thing about me, so next! tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

An 11-Minute Space Trip With Jeff Bezos: Bidder Pays $28m (Photos) / Lagos Traffic Trapped Groom’s Parents, Delayed Marriage For Seven Hours / Pictures Of Enugu City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.