Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,286 members, 7,829,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why (40698 Views)

Multi-Billion Naira Property That Landed Suspended AGF In EFCC Net (Billion) / Faces Behind Deal That Landed Nigeria In $9.6bn Mess / AIT Ban: Nigerians React To The Video That Landed It In Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by gaskiyamagana: 9:52pm On Nov 30, 2020
Whiteshield:

Despite the situation in those states, hopeless Biafrans still enter night bus to those states to go and hawk gala and handkerchief.
They had to flog the Eze Ndigbo of Akure like a wild goat before he started behaving himself.
Wetin Uche no go read for talking nonsense about his political UNDERTAKER.
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by OVB123: 10:22pm On Nov 30, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

1.And the same waste won't happen under the regions, even the new six regions...

2.If we wanted to be like the UK..we would end up with anything from 100-250 federating units. Sure you want that?

3.The problem with revenue in Nigeria is that we have a low tax to gdp ratio, as I have pointed out uptheread. Because most states would rather wait for oil money rahter than charge taxes...because many Nigerians beleive that the revenue we earn from selling oil can cater for all of us.

4.Even with regions, the revenue issues would still be there.Plus the complaints of 'big tribe is dominating small tribes'..which is what led to state creation in the first place (and there are lots of applications pending for new states...if not that the Constitution makes it very hard to create more states)
You have hit the nail on the head.
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by HallaDaTruth: 10:39pm On Nov 30, 2020
helinues:
They should place them on OLX
You must be from OYO state

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by Alimat40: 11:10pm On Nov 30, 2020
It is not surprising to me when government is run as charity. Take for example oyo state that was giving money as philanthropic.
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by calcal: 12:23am On Dec 01, 2020
uptimum123:
This is bound to happen untill each states starts harnessing their God given natural resources.

It's gonna be a long journey to get to where we use to be in the olden days with our over reliance on oil.

We were not good also in the olden days. no day this country has ever been good.

Did you know that 80% of those that supposed to be receiving pensions are not getting any? that's olden days result.

Millions of those bricklayers, carpenter, plumber of the olden days are not receiving pension today. how comes?

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by Arkmanbuddy(m): 6:22am On Dec 01, 2020
Jonasbadoo2:
STFU
Igbos only go to Lagos that's it
No body get time for your remaining useless 5 other states

You make me laugh. You know what you typed is absolute nonsense. Igbos are everywhere in the SW and are hustling. That's not the point anyway. The point is those other 5 useless SW States are still more viable for Igbos to do business than all the SE States combined.

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by Jonasbadoo2(f): 6:41am On Dec 01, 2020
Arkmanbuddy:

You make me laugh. You know what you typed is absolute nonsense. Igbos are everywhere in the SW and are hustling. That's not the point anyway. The point is those other 5 useless SW States are still more viable for Igbos to do business than all the SE States combined.
Your igorance is alarming ,What do Yorubas know about about business? How many importers and stanch business men do you have ? I'm not talking about office work here so don't say what you don't know
There are lots of yourbas here in SE doing business while some come to the east buy goods and go .... You're mad ooh imagine
Which sane Igbo will be going to Ogun,Osun or the remaining useless state for what kwanu? Mtcheew

3 Likes

Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by Arkmanbuddy(m): 6:50am On Dec 01, 2020
Jonasbadoo2:
Your igorance is alarming ,What do Yorubas know about about business? How many importers and stanch business men do you have ? I'm not talking about office work here so don't say what you don't know
There are lots of yourbas here in SE doing business while some come to the east buy goods and go .... You're mad ooh imagine
Which sane Igbo will be going to Ogun,Osun or the remaining useless state for what kwanu? Mtcheew

You're ignorant and stupid, so I'll leave you to your stupidity. Cheerios!

1 Like

Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by 10kgod(m): 7:01am On Dec 01, 2020
helinues:

Lol... grin grin grin
Don't even know whether my state is among... Osun

I didn't read the epistle
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by FOXDOSSIER: 7:03am On Dec 01, 2020
Ok oo
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by themanderon: 8:46am On Dec 01, 2020
PhiliptheArab:
The truth of the matter is, Nigerian states do not charge enough taxes.

Overall, our tax to gdp ratio is 5.8%. Attempts to charge extra taxes in Nigeria are always met with protests and 'what have they done with the money they have'?

Yes, I agree they should cut the salaries of the National assembly, which at the end of the day will not yiled enough to cater for all the states. Yes, they should fight corruption, which is good...until Nigerians start opposing anti-corruption efforts...like ASUU just did with IPPIS.

But when you don't charge enough taxes, problems start.

Nigerians live on the myth that the oil money we have can cater for everyone's needs. The truth is, it can't. We needf oil to be at least $139 per barrel before we can say that we have enough for all pour needs...and it is that way because of our large populaiton. As things stand, for our earnings to cater for our needs, we need to cut our population overnight by 160million people ( poison gas or alien invasion?..okay i'm being too morbid here).

South Africa and Ghana have tax to gdp ratios of 24% and above. And they have their own share of corrupt polticans and leaders (one ANC bigwig is in trobule for bribes and corruption in Azania right now)..and they have enough cash to pay their workers.

Nigeria is an entity made up of states who don't want to act like states and don't want to be innovative. Everyone rather waits for oil money. I think that we should introduce resource control. Oil states control 90% of the revenue from their earnings. Maybe many OTHER states will start taxing the GDP more heavily...and see their money grow.

More taxes in a nation where the majority lives on less than a dollar a day who will pay? Why must the unfortunate citizens of this useless nation be made to pay for the years of profligacy and corruption by the utterly useless and intellectually deficient political leaders? When I look at other African nations who are not as endowed with natural resources as we are but doing well for themselves I feel like weeping for all the wasted years that our country has been through.
I hate it when people shift the blame for the woes of this country on the citizens while absolving the government of their criminality. Where is the abacha loot that was returned over the Years? Do you know how many billions of our money these rogues have frittered and are still frittering away lying dormant in foreign accounts? yet our government will still borrow these monies at interest only to re loot the same.
The citizens are too docile to act, Poverty is a powerful weapon as a hungry man has no capability to think and make informed decisions. Methinks these guys want to so impoverish Nigerians to the point they can no longer resist their maladministration.
By the time the oil that has never benefitted ordinary Nigerians dries up in just a couple of years then the reality would set in.
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by goaldynboy: 10:58am On Dec 01, 2020
flokii:
[s]At this stage, I feel everyone should go back to their state of origin and put it in order.

Why will Oyo be accomodating her own indigenes and millions of economic refuges coming in to compete with locals for livelihood. How do you expect the state government to cater for the huge population of migrants??

See the other day, shameless Okorocha went to Sanwo Olu to solicit better welfare for Imo indigenes in Lagos. Please is Imo state not collecting allocations from FG and generating revenue?
Omo odua una better wake up before some people hide under one Nigeria to finish you. How many Yorubas do you see running to their place? None![/s]

When you finish crying, let us know! Do you need a bucket?!
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by SAMTOBIJU(m): 11:34am On Dec 01, 2020
olaboy33:
Osun is in a really bad shape economically.

Tinubu, rather than brag of how well he is richer than osun state, needs to concentrate on osun and perform the magic he performed in Lagos by putting competent hands to fix osun.

I don't know what's happening on Oyo. I think there's just so many mouths to feed.

Play nice governor, Seyi makinde has improved Oyo's IGR (now 6th in Nigeria) without increasing tax (God knows how).

It appears he needs to do more, probably look into tax again. He must also understand he can't satisfy everyone in the state. 2nd term would sort itself.
. Thumbs up for this. Well written.
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by Philipxxxx0: 9:53pm On Dec 01, 2020
techmo:
cool

Within 2 years in office Makinde borrowed 30billion from UBA and first bank , and 100 billion in bond .. lol

I wonder how debt burden Oyo State would be in 2023

It's better to vote Financial Expert than an Engineer

Case Study Eng Aregbesola and Eng Seyi Makinde... Pilling up debt on utterly stupid construction which are not economically feasible

Good administrator is good , forget his discipline, look at Anambra governor total useless compare him to Ebonyi governor that using his state small allocations to perform miracles. While Anambra governor is former banker.
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by Abdotcom(m): 8:42am On Dec 02, 2020
helinues:
lol, guy like there is no joy in your DNA
Re: List Of 8 States That Landed In Financial Distress And Why by professore(m): 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2020
Beautiful analysis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top List Of Former Governors Who Left High Domestic Debts For Successors (Photo) / Ibadan Explosion: Foreign Illegal Miners Ran Out Of The House Before Explosion — / Buhari Leads Jonathan In Adamawa

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.