Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,542 members, 7,823,374 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

The Politics Of "our Time" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of "our Time" (7177 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame / *~ Katsumoto Voted The Politics Section Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politics Of "our Time" by egift(m): 11:57am On Mar 23, 2011
“Integrity requires three steps: discerning what is right and what is wrong; acting on what you have discerned, even at personal cost; and saying openly that you are acting on your understanding of right from wrong." – Stephen L Carter

Months ago, before the 2011 voter registration exercise began in Nigeria some of us were very excited as we saw this as an opportunity to effect the much-needed change in our country. I geared up and began non-partisan campaigns aimed at youths in Nigeria to ensure that they register, vote, and protect their votes. I spent at least four to six hours everyday campaigning on social network platforms, TV/Radio, and print media. My team and I did everything we could from explaining the process, to following people on twitter who posted pictures of their registration cards, to giving away cellphone airtime and even went as far as helping local INEC officials with some of the technical difficulties they faced at the commencement of the registration exercise. We are currently working on an incidence reporting initiative to help curb election malpractices. What's in it for me you might ask, like I tell everyone who has asked me, some of us just really believe in a better Nigeria. If I have the resources to make change, I wont hesitate to put it towards just that. I am Nigerian, I have a daughter who is Nigerian and I would love to see my daughter raised in this country. I am a true patriot and I have consistently promoted the idea that the Nigerian situation can and should improve with the right leadership.

During the voters’ registration campaign, I got together with a few friends and colleagues of mine to discuss ways to increase youth participation in the democratic process of our country using our music platform. During one of those discussions, we came up with the idea to have multiple concerts across the country, which would only be accessed by registered voters. It felt like a great idea because with this initiative, we could all join forces and get more attention from our intended demographic. Household names such as PSquare, D’banj, eLDee, Tuface, MI, Banky W, Naeto C, Sound Sultan, Timaya, Wizkid, Duncan Mighty and the likes, would easily fill up arenas in any city so why not have a free concert that people can only be a part of if they present their voters registration card. To the best of my knowledge, we came up with a tag called “Our time” for the concert series. In order to avoid the initiative being politicized, we agreed to raise funds through non-partisan means alone.

We put little resources together and quickly shot TV commercials since there were only a few days left of the voter registration period. The commercials were immediately published on TV/Internet and it generated a good amount of attention. At the end of the voter registration period, there was overwhelming evidence of the success of the initiative and we all looked forward to entertaining our registered voter fans at the concert series.

Fast forward to March 17, 2011. I am watching television and I see a commercial that looked just like the one we shot for our campaign. It was indeed footage from our voter registration initiative commercial, however this version was manipulated to suit a different purpose. The new edit describes a free concert featuring D’banj, Tuface, MI, eLDee, PSquare, BankyW, Duncan Mighty, Wizkid and others, which supposedly holds in Abuja on March 25, 2011 and totally omits our voter registration campaign initiative. The advert now ends with a different tagline, “supported by Our Time Group, Youths rising up for GEJ.” I immediately had a cold feeling of shock, betrayal, deceit, and misrepresentation because this was the exact opposite of what we created the initiative for. Now I was being touted as a representative of the youth in support of the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan presidential campaign. What’s even more interesting is that Silverbird TV ran this new advert before and after the Dbanj interview with Goodluck Jonathan, as if it were part and parcel of that GEJ campaign initiative. I called all parties involved to express my disapproval and disgust at how anyone would take such an innocent initiative and manipulate it to misrepresent the interest and support of the youth. To my dismay, another slap in the face came in the form of a full-page newspaper advert in The Vanguard of March 22, 2011 with my picture, among others artists, advertising the same GEJ Presidential campaign concert.

It is sad and indeed worrying that people continue to take advantage of good intentions and initiatives for selfish and corrupt purposes. I use this medium to make public that I have never, and even more so now will never be a part of any campaign for President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, therefore please do not expect me to be at the supposed concert. Let me be clear, I have nothing against the supposed concert and its participants; I just prefer to be consulted about such a manipulation of interest beforehand. I have never received any money or gift of any kind from any member or supporter of the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan presidential campaign or any presidential campaign for that matter, neither have I volunteered my services in support of any such campaign. I’ll be glad to announce if and when I do but until then, I don’t appreciate my image and likeness being exploited for political purposes without my consent.

Here’s a link to the original “Our time” initiative: http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/02/04/dbanj-headlines-our-time-initiative-concert-series-to-inspire-youth-to-register-and-vote/

Here’s the new advert as displayed in the vanguard newspapers: http://plixi.com/photos/original/85832692

eLDee: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150113896423148
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Ibime(m): 11:59am On Mar 23, 2011
I always respected Eldee!!!

Carry go Eldee!!!
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by 1025: 12:21pm On Mar 23, 2011
pdp is another name for criminalities. in other parts of the world, those behind this kind of criminality will pay through their noses.
i can reliably say it that 75% of those acclaimed supporters of jonathan are doing so under durex.
a typical example of this is our own dokpesi who was tagged a suicide bomber by jonathan only to force his loyality.
this is a military civilian govt as directed by the dare devil himself - obasanjo.
2011 will describe a lot of things in nigeria.
pdp is a failure and must accept that.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by omo9ja1(m): 12:22pm On Mar 23, 2011
Gbam! Gbosa!! Gbosa!!! Eldee the Big Boy drop bomb, Dbang I dey warn you o0o0o0 just in case you never know the difference between politics and politricks
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by proudly9ja(m): 12:34pm On Mar 23, 2011
I don't really do his songs (apart from 'me i go yarn' and the tribesmen days) but with this, I doff my hat for the guy. 1 more reason to respect him.

Lets help him spread the message by putting up this story on our facebook page.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 23, 2011
Fast forward to March 17, 2011. I am watching television and I see a commercial that looked just like the one we shot for our campaign. It was indeed footage from our voter registration initiative commercial, however this version was manipulated to suit a different purpose. The new edit describes a free concert featuring D’banj, Tuface, MI, eLDee, PSquare, BankyW, Duncan Mighty, Wizkid and others, which supposedly holds in Abuja on March 25, 2011 and totally omits our voter registration campaign initiative.[size=28pt] The advert now ends with a different tagline, “supported by Our Time Group, Youths rising up for GEJ.” I immediately had a cold feeling of shock, betrayal, deceit, and misrepresentation because this was the exact opposite of what we created the initiative for.[/size] Now I was being touted as a representative of the youth in support of the Goodluck Ebele Jonathan presidential campaign. What’s even more interesting is that Silverbird TV ran this new advert before and after the Dbanj interview with Goodluck Jonathan, as if it were part and parcel of that GEJ campaign initiative. [size=28pt]I called all parties involved to express my disapproval and disgust at how anyone would take such an innocent initiative and manipulate it to misrepresent the interest and support of the youth. To my dismay, another slap in the face came in the form of a full-page newspaper advert in The Vanguard of March 22, 2011 with my picture, among others artists, advertising the same GEJ Presidential campaign concert.[/size]

smh

lets see how the gej thugs will defend this

lets see the smearing of eldee
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 23, 2011
I can even feel his frustration angry angry angry
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by samstels: 12:49pm On Mar 23, 2011
ALL OF UNA NA HUZZLERS, LOOKING FOR WHAT TO GRAB

THE SMART GUYS DON HIJACK THE WHOLE STUFF , ELDEE ABEG JOIN GRAB OO,STOP MAKING NOISE .U WERE NOT SMART ENOUGH.

NGO MY FOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by beeman80: 12:51pm On Mar 23, 2011
Eldee.I have been a follower of your songs and your growth from the days of tribes men.I am happy to also see that you are using your music to positively impact the society.keep it up.Always know that we are right behind you on this one.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by naijangel7(f): 12:58pm On Mar 23, 2011
@mod/admin, i just tried to post on a similar thread i started and it has been locked:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-629605.0.html#msg7969220

I checked the time both threads were started and i saw that mine was started even earlier than this one so why lock it and leave this? Abeg make una learn una job well.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by logica(m): 1:02pm On Mar 23, 2011
samstels:

THE SMART GUYS DON HIJACK THE WHOLE STUFF , ELDEE ABEG JOIN GRAB OO,STOP MAKING NOISE .U WERE NOT SMART ENOUGH.

You really should go back to the cave you came from.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Areosapien(f): 1:02pm On Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, mods. Hers came first.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Larrey(f): 1:05pm On Mar 23, 2011
Gud of u,if 2 say na tru u dey talk nd tank GOD dat my guy 2face no dey among d artiste 4 dis new concert cos i quickly went 2 check www.bellanaija.com 2 knw d artiste dat re involved.d'banj every tin is nt abt money
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by friedrice1: 1:06pm On Mar 23, 2011
samstels:

i pity your type, encouraging and fertilizing evil to strive unabated in this country. you should bury your head in shame.
One day, One day E GO BETTER,
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by carmelily: 1:06pm On Mar 23, 2011
naijangel7:

@mod/admin, i just tried to post on a similar thread i started and it has been locked:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-629605.0.html#msg7969220

I checked the time both threads were started and i saw that mine was started even earlier than this one so why lock it and leave this? Abeg make una learn una job well.

Areosapien:

Yeah, mods. Hers came first.

ya I tried to reply and it had been locked. Not right if that was earlier
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 23, 2011
ok. Sorry
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by PeeDaVinci: 1:21pm On Mar 23, 2011
if this is true, then ELDEE has just earned my respect and loyalty
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by ideylaff: 1:23pm On Mar 23, 2011
WELL DONE SON, smiley

GOD WILL PROVIDE YOU YOUR PERMANENT DAILY BREAD NT THE TEMPORAL ONE FROM, lipsrsealed

NOBODY CAN BUY YOUR RIGHTS NOT DELAY WHAT GOD HAD PLANNED FOR YOU, AMEN.

That's Courageous, but I know some people will call it Making Noise, at least you have said your own bit
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Blazing99: 1:26pm On Mar 23, 2011
Eldee just showed he's a guy of principles not mediocrity like 90% of other Nigerian musicians
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by baslone: 1:30pm On Mar 23, 2011
I never liked Dbanj anyway! He has always been all noise. Now he's going the Shina Peters' way.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Jencejyde(m): 1:46pm On Mar 23, 2011
Duff my hat to you bro! If all you said is for real, then hopefully we indeed have a great future ahead, its just a matter of time before we know the fake and the real.

Big shame on artists if at this early ages can not stand up for what they believe in. Again much respect to you, if its about flooding the social media to help bring back positives to this country, then i'm definitely on ur side and God willing, in a couple of yesr from now, our kids will have a lot to smile and be happy about.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by motisharp: 1:50pm On Mar 23, 2011
Good Morning everyone,nice being here with you. Please I ned directions on how to post a new topic. I dont mean derailing the thread, i just want to learn. Thanks.

As for our nation's politics,majority are in for money and fortunes to grab, including all this self appointed reps---we only hope for the best.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Concept(m): 2:06pm On Mar 23, 2011
^^^^^^^

Click on send topic for new one and to contribute to an existing topic click on reply.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by motisharp: 2:12pm On Mar 23, 2011
^^^^^^ Thank you so much.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by possimpabl(m): 2:13pm On Mar 23, 2011
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue. all these na yarns.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by reindeer: 2:17pm On Mar 23, 2011
Much respect to Eldee.I only wish there are more principled artistes like him, he's obviouslhy not just educated but quite sensible.
Let all the other low-lives being used come out and speak if they are truly not patr of this charade.
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by fstranger3(m): 2:20pm On Mar 23, 2011
Dem fence Eldee, he con get angry.

Anyway, good article! Too verbose for my liking though. Per Nigerian wuruwuru standard, not too bad

Carry go alaye mi architect baba!
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by Ayoobscom(m): 2:29pm On Mar 23, 2011
MODRATOR,

No matter however the intensity or intensivenes any political party is campaigning or decieving its the picture that matters i.e the attention,interest, and reflection of humanity in the party and the representative,this is however usually obvious and vary easy to realize who can be and who must not be voted for.

Even if PDP candidate was a good man and was going to be responsive in gov't the kind of fundamentally corruptible policies and attitude of PDP must undoubtedly have corrupted and disqualified GEJ too early to be risked in such lives-boating position for  the next 4 years.

No! with every sense of indiscrimination i suggests nigerians don't risk PDP in power any further,
AND THE YOUTHS MUST STAND UP, ME AND YOU MUST STOP THEM NOW!
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by doja(m): 2:38pm On Mar 23, 2011
Now where is beaf?

We have always known that Jonathan is just too desperate and he is just too corrupt to be given another four years. As for the youths involved in this they are definitely not a part of us and at the right time they will be dealt with in our own ways.

Eldee has just earned my respect!

Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by johnjoel(m): 2:40pm On Mar 23, 2011
i respect men of integrate eeldddddddd i reapect.non like other artist sold their selves for money
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by delegiwa(m): 2:43pm On Mar 23, 2011
samstels:

What more can I say? I have a gut feeling that you hit the nail right on its head. I might be wrong though,
Re: The Politics Of "our Time" by gernded(m): 2:54pm On Mar 23, 2011
The only thing i see opposition doing for their campaign is just criticism even the idle boys have join them because they are lazy cannot found anything to do, Opposition campaign to win or,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fashola Rejects Tinubu's Council Chairmanship Candidates / Fuel Subsidy: Total Md Can’t Defend N18.8bn Payment / Explosive:Fayose Releases USA Court Document That Indicted Buhari's Wife- Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.