Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,701 members, 7,851,390 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:21 PM

Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election (19624 Views)

Adoption Of ‘old’ National Anthem Marks Start Of Nigeria’s Revolution – Akpabio / Heavy Voter Apathy In Port Harcourt / Buhari At Campaign Rally For Bauchi South Senatorial Bye Election (More Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by sammy329(m): 3:31pm On Dec 05, 2020
Lekki massacre

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by eaglejay13(m): 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Have d lives of these voters in zamfara been transformed? Are they now living of 3 square meals a day, good roads, good shelter, jobs e.t.c as a result of their voting?

Good question
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by sammy329(m): 3:36pm On Dec 05, 2020
Another massacre cheesy

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by senatordave1(m): 3:36pm On Dec 05, 2020
sammy329:
Another massacre cheesy

Electoral destruction.I thought gbadamosi is popular

1 Like

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 4:07pm On Dec 05, 2020
hush15:

By not voting. Yes, it has not been perfect but it should makes us more determined rather than give up to those we don't want.

Those that made mistakes during the elections that brought trump, the didn't give up on the system, rather they came out stronger to vote who they want. The amount of vote america got this is by far the highest with millions of margin. Those that felt like they inconsequential made sure they are the deciding factor.

As for Benin, maybe you didn't observe it but in the heat of it, all edolites came out to make their voice known and at last, their candidate came out strong.

Look, what protest, revolutions, riots can't do, voting will. OK, when people don't vote, how have they done something. The constitution is clear. Voting is the only way to change leadership. What Nigerians don't know is when you vote, you stay and protect your vote. No body will deny you that. Its not just voting and walk away, vote and make sure your vote count.

Neway, I know Nigeria is not ready for any meaningful yet is the reason why they don't vote. When lagosians are tired and desire change, they know the right thing to do

But earlier u said that "if people don't vote, they only empower those in power to keep strong hold".

And I asked u: "How has voting in nigeria prevented those in power from keeping a stronghold?"

U haven't been able to categorically state how voting in Nigeria has prevented those in power from keeping a stronghold. If d essence of voting is to change d status quo& it hasn't done that which u can't negate, why then wouldn't we see cases of voter apathy?

In Edo state, d status quo wasn't changed. Obaseki was returned to office. Yes we can praise d single-minded ness of d people in opposing oshiomole, but power still remained with a familiar face.

In d US, d institutions & awareness are stronger. We don't have such level of awareness (which u asked about) in this part of d world. Many Nigerians still don't no their rights and feel that govt is doing them a favor.

I absolutely agree with u on d constitutional provision made for elections as d only means of changing a govt, yet d power of d people goes beyond elections. We have seen cases in democratic settings& even military where people power on d streets brought about regime change. South Korea, Brazil, Sudan are glaring examples. It was made possible by a singularity& genuineness of purpose on d part of d people.

Should people vote? Absolutely yes. But when they choose not to vote, it is an indication that something is wrong. I don't no if u can remind me of when we witnessed this type of voter apathy in Nigeria since 1999. If it's happening now& it's genuine, then it means voters are beginning to question how they fit into d political process& it is a very good development for voters to question their actions. Voters can decide when to use their powers& when to withhold it from politicians when they deem fit
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Am not trolling. Just asking after ur welfare. Hope u aren't crying?
you should ask after yours first before asking after mine. So answer me this: are you a bastard?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

U still haven't answered my questions:

How does ur enquiry answer d question I asked? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself? Did I take ur lollypop pop from u?
answer this first, are you a bastard?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
you should ask after yours first before asking after mine. So answer me this: are you a bastard?

No am not. Are u? Hope u aren't crying?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 4:19pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
answer this first, are you a bastard?

No am not. Are u? How does ur enquiry answer d question I asked? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself? Did I take ur lollypop pop from u?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by 123winglass: 4:19pm On Dec 05, 2020
Is anyone worth voting for in Nigeria
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 4:24pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

No am not. Are u? How does ur enquiry answer d question I asked? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself? Did I take ur lollypop pop from u?
Why should I. You clearly type and behave like one. So, are you sure you aren't a bastard?

lexy2014:

No am not. Are u? Hope u aren't crying?
why should I cry? Hope you're sure you aren't a bastard?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 4:27pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
Why should I. You clearly type and behave like one. So, are you sure you aren't a bastard?

why should I cry? Hope you're sure you aren't a bastard?

U were lamenting a great deal in ur previous post. It seemed u were close to tears. Pls how does a bastard type & behave?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Olatomiwami(m): 4:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
naptu2:

I am not referring to End SARS protesters. Don't put words in my mouth. I am referring to activists who, in the past few weeks, have declared that this election will mark a change in Nigeria. They stated that this election is the first opportunity for them to show their power and they were going to destroy APC in Lagos.

Many said that people should and would vote for Gbadamosi, the candidate of the PDP, because they believed that he was the only one that had the chance to defeat the APC, while others said that both PDP and APC were bad and therefore they were going to vote for someone that wasn't representing either APC or PDP.

It was a big deal on Twitter and to some extent on Nairaland. People were circulating pictures of candidates and doing voter education.

I didn't see that happening with any of the other bye elections that are holding today and my question is, what happened to all the noise? I was eagerly anticipating an exciting day, but instead it is quite a disappointment.

Now all of you can see that 2023, is sign, seal and delivered for either APC=PDP grin ,#Endsars noises are audio, life and properties wasted for nothing, politics is local

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 4:55pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

U were lamenting a great deal in ur previous post. It seemed u were close to tears. Pls how does a bastard type & behave?
Exactly like you. tongue
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Ojiofor: 5:03pm On Dec 05, 2020
The bullion van master did not mobilize thugs for this election.
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by rajiedreez: 5:13pm On Dec 05, 2020
If the turn out is less than 30% the election isn't supposed to be accepted. But I don't think that's included in Inec criteria for declaring winner
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 5:31pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
Exactly like you. tongue

Hows that? Kindly expantiate
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by chaloskyx: 5:37pm On Dec 05, 2020
JUST END YOU STUPID ELECTION ALL READY
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by hush15: 6:26pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

But earlier u said that "if people don't vote, they only empower those in power to keep strong hold".

And I asked u: "How has voting in nigeria prevented those in power from keeping a stronghold?"

U haven't been able to categorically state how voting in Nigeria has prevented those in power from keeping a stronghold. If d essence of voting is to change d status quo& it hasn't done that which u can't negate, why then wouldn't we see cases of voter apathy?

In Edo state, d status quo wasn't changed. Obaseki was returned to office. Yes we can praise d single-minded ness of d people in opposing oshiomole, but power still remained with a familiar face.

In d US, d institutions & awareness are stronger. We don't have such level of awareness (which u asked about) in this part of d world. Many Nigerians still don't no their rights and feel that govt is doing them a favor.

I absolutely agree with u on d constitutional provision made for elections as d only means of changing a govt, yet d power of d people goes beyond elections. We have seen cases in democratic settings& even military where people power on d streets brought about regime change. South Korea, Brazil, Sudan are glaring examples. It was made possible by a singularity& genuineness of purpose on d part of d people.

Should people vote? Absolutely yes. But when they choose not to vote, it is an indication that something is wrong. I don't no if u can remind me of when we witnessed this type of voter apathy in Nigeria since 1999. If it's happening now& it's genuine, then it means voters are beginning to question how they fit into d political process& it is a very good development for voters to question their actions. Voters can decide when to use their powers& when to withhold it from politicians when they deem fit

You still don't get it, do you?

So if people don't vote, the question you ask yourself is who does it favour? Yes, people are expressing anger thru apathy but who does it favour?

No matter what the emotion is, it won't change anything. Those in power will continue to hold on to power. A revolution can be resisted. A protest as we have seen can be hijacked but voting can't be. The only reason why it look so in Nigeria is because, "you all don't vote ". Keep giving excuse that your vote will never count and believing so

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Reference(m): 6:31pm On Dec 05, 2020
Do you vote in a monarchy...?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by pinkgoodies(m): 7:18pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

I understand d points u are trying to make. They are valid & u aren't far from d truth. But like I said earlier, d apathy might just b because many folks might feel tired of voting due to previous experiences. And in a way, voter apathy could be a weapon if well utilised especially if there's zero turn out. U can negotiate with "the candidate with the best policy" before he gets into office but what guarantees do u have that he will keep to d terms of d agreements reached after he gets into office? So my friend, yes people should vote but I feel it goes beyond just voting

If nigeria were to be made up by only the South, it would have worked to an extent in presidential elections. But with vote apathy in the South, our Northern brothers will now settle with chosing who rules us and we can't do anything about it. If the youths don't join this two main parties, then nothing for us. Because the mushroom parties are just for beer drinking.
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Excel2lead: 8:06pm On Dec 05, 2020
Up APC! They have succeeded in completely eroding the people's confidence in our electoral process. What an achievement!
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 10:08pm On Dec 05, 2020
hush15:

So if people don't vote, the question you ask yourself is who does it favour? Yes, people are expressing anger thru apathy but who does it favour?

No matter what the emotion is, it won't change anything. Those in power will continue to hold on to power. A revolution can be resisted. A protest as we have seen can be hijacked but voting can't be. The only reason why it look so in Nigeria is because, "you all don't vote ". Keep giving excuse that your vote will never count and believing so

What is d aim of voting? According to u:

"if people don't vote, they only empower those in power to keep strong hold".

D question now is:

"How has voting in nigeria prevented those in power from keeping a stronghold?"

According to u: "...voting can't be hijacked."

I saw this statement & I laughed hard. Are u referring to Nigeria or US?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 10:55pm On Dec 05, 2020
hush15:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Declares Four Work-Free Days For PVC Collection / Customs-Officer Arrested For Ferrying Arms For Boko-Haram / Buhari Welcomes Offer From Islamic Development Bank To Develop Nigeria (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.