Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,611 members, 7,851,080 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:09 PM

Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election (19620 Views)

Adoption Of ‘old’ National Anthem Marks Start Of Nigeria’s Revolution – Akpabio / Heavy Voter Apathy In Port Harcourt / Buhari At Campaign Rally For Bauchi South Senatorial Bye Election (More Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:00pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
this very same question.

How does ur enquiry answer d question? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by naptu2: 2:02pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

If there was "noise", honestly speaking, I didn't hear it. Just saw a few posters of ashiru& gbadamosi. But judging by what u said about noise, am sure u referring to just before d endsars protests. Am sure that protests has reconfigured d brains of most voters

I am not referring to End SARS protesters. Don't put words in my mouth. I am referring to activists who, in the past few weeks, have declared that this election will mark a change in Nigeria. They stated that this election is the first opportunity for them to show their power and they were going to destroy APC in Lagos.

Many said that people should and would vote for Gbadamosi, the candidate of the PDP, because they believed that he was the only one that had the chance to defeat the APC, while others said that both PDP and APC were bad and therefore they were going to vote for someone that wasn't representing either APC or PDP.

It was a big deal on Twitter and to some extent on Nairaland. People were circulating pictures of candidates and doing voter education.

I didn't see that happening with any of the other bye elections that are holding today and my question is, what happened to all the noise? I was eagerly anticipating an exciting day, but instead it is quite a disappointment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 2:03pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

How does ur enquiry answer d question? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself?
move aside abegi. Your one sidedNess is blinding.
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by hush15: 2:07pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

I think u fail to see d significance of this low apathy. There might be a number of reasons most especially lack of awareness due to covid. But on d other hand, it also shows that no one is ready to waste his or her precious time going to empower politicians. It's a good omen if citizens boycott elections completely. Not voting is also doing something

Not voting is doing nothing. You should learn from America. If that's too far, learn from Edo elections

What awareness!!! What significance. If people refuse yo vote, the only empower those in power to keep strong hold.

Voting is the only legitimate voice that no leader can deny his citizens. No amount of soldiers, police, thugs can deny their citizens that. So when you refuse to vote, you throw away your legitimate means to effect change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by khalids: 2:08pm On Dec 05, 2020
Look before you say, people did not turn out.....

Did the candidate's campaign, or solicit for votes. Or we going to vote for people we know nothing about

Do the forms have none of the above options, in the event that you find none of the candidates worthy...
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Geesaintagape: 2:09pm On Dec 05, 2020
This is just the beginning
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:09pm On Dec 05, 2020
naptu2:

I am not referring to End SARS protesters. Don't put words in my mouth. I am referring to activists who, in the past few weeks, have declared that this election will mark a change in Nigeria. They stated that this election is the first opportunity for them to show their power and they were going to destroy APC in Lagos.

Many said that people should and would vote for Gbadamosi, the candidate of the PDP, because they believed that he was the only one that had the chance to defeat the APC, while others said that both PDP and APC were bad and therefore they were going to vote for someone that wasn't representing either APC or PDP.

It was a big deal on Twitter and to some extent on Nairaland. People were circulating pictures of candidates and doing voter education.

I didn't see that happening with any of the other bye elections that are holding today and my question is, what happened to all the noise? I was eagerly anticipating an exciting day, but instead it is quite a disappointment.

Am not too sure where I put words in ur mouth. If u can show me, I will be glad. I was only trying to draw a timeline& I said d protests could have "reconfigured d brains of MOST VOTERS". Meaning, it could have been responsible for d voter apathy. I don't no where u read me make reference to protesters.
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:11pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
move aside abegi. Your one sidedNess is blinding.

I de my own. Na u carry matter come meet me, u come de vex. Did I take ur lollypop from u? Meanwhile, How does ur enquiry answer d question? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by naptu2: 2:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Am not too sure where I put words in ur mouth. If u can show me, I will be glad. I was only trying to draw a timeline& I said d protests could have "reconfigured d brains of MOST VOTERS". Meaning, it could have responsible for d voter apathy. I don't no where u read me make reference to protesters.

This is where you put words in my mouth.

am sure u referring to just before d endsars protests

I did not refer to the End SARS protest and I was not referring to before the end SARS protest. The End SARS protest held in October. We are in December. The agitation that I'm referring to began at the beginning of November and lasted all through that month.
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 2:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

I de my own. Na u carry matter come meet me, u come de vex. Did I take ur lollypop from u? Meanwhile, How does ur enquiry answer d question? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself?
you always try to evade like a badly train F18 pilot, especially when you know your argument doesn't hold water or have been deflated.

You asked a question, I told you to direct that same question to those Endsars protesters. You're telling me to direct the question to endsars protesters.

So, since you know them, kindly point them to me ...
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Emir01: 2:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
naptu2:

Good observation, that's 9ja for you. But as far as am concern if you present Abiru and Gbadamosi under any political party I will gladly choose Abiru because of his track records. I don't have opportunity to vote today cos am not around.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:15pm On Dec 05, 2020
hush15:

Not voting is doing nothing. You should learn from America. If that's too far, learn from Edo elections

What awareness!!! What significance. If people refuse yo vote, the only empower those in power to keep strong hold.

Voting is the only legitimate voice that no leader can deny his citizens. No amount of soldiers, police, thugs can deny their citizens that. So when you refuse to vote, you throw away your legitimate means to effect change.

What did u learn from America& Edo? How's not voting doing nothing?

D awareness u are asking about was well stated in d comment u responded to.

According to u: "If people refuse yo vote, the only empower those in power to keep strong hold."

How has voting in nigeria prevented those in power from keeping a stronghold?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:18pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
you always try to evade like a badly train F18 pilot, especially when you know your argument doesn't hold water or have been deflated.

You asked a question, I told you to direct that same question to those Endsars protesters. You're telling me to direct the question to endsars protesters.

I didn't make any argument. I only asked questions which wasn't directed at u. All ur complaints& Lamentations are yet to answer d questions I asked:, How does ur enquiry answer d question I asked? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself? Did I take ur lollypop pop from u?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:20pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:

Hope u aren't crying?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 2:22pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

I didn't make any argument. I only asked questions which wasn't directed at u. All ur complaints& Lamentations are yet to answer d questions I asked:, How does ur enquiry answer d question I asked? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself? Did I take ur lollypop pop from u?
bla bla bla. The shenanigans of a loud mouthed social media user.

You should direct your question at Zamfarans. I'm sure they will readily answer it after they've kidnapped you and collect ransom. tongue
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by joseph1832(m): 2:23pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Hope u aren't crying?
I'm sure you suck at trolling like you suck at your offline endeavors. grin
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:25pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
bla bla bla. The shenanigans of a loud mouthed social media user.

You should direct your question at Zamfarans. I'm sure they will readily answer it after they've kidnapped you and collect ransom. tongue

U still haven't answered my questions:

How does ur enquiry answer d question I asked? Are u afraid to direct d question at endsars protesters urself? Did I take ur lollypop pop from u?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:25pm On Dec 05, 2020
joseph1832:
I'm sure you suck at trolling like you suck at your offline endeavors. grin

Am not trolling. Just asking after ur welfare. Hope u aren't crying?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by tamdun: 2:28pm On Dec 05, 2020
We no dey vote for south, u have to credit the north, with all our education in South, we still behave like illiterate

2 Likes

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by sammy329(m): 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2020
cheesy cheesy

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Whois(m): 2:35pm On Dec 05, 2020
Na wa only 141 turned up to vote.
sammy329:
cheesy cheesy
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Awoo88: 2:36pm On Dec 05, 2020
Opportunity for APC to do what they like with the result. People should have come to vote. Shunning the election is helping tinubu retain his kingdom
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by ThatFairGuy1: 2:38pm On Dec 05, 2020
Awoo88:
Opportunity for APC to do what they like with the result. People should have come to vote. Shunning the election is helping tinubu retain his kingdom
To think all Lagosian are even against this Tinubu is funny.

1 Like

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Awoo88: 2:40pm On Dec 05, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:

Tinubu ran to kano and refuses to campaign yet the people inadvertently will still hand him the victory

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by sammy329(m): 2:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:

cheesy cheesy cheesy Don't mind all those vocal minority, that think elections are won on social media

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Have d lives of these voters in zamfara been transformed? Are they now living of 3 square meals a day, good roads, good shelter, jobs e.t.c as a result of their voting?
You no get sense bro grin

I won't even bother to read another dumb post from you, if you quote me tongue
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 2:48pm On Dec 05, 2020
BabaOwen:
You no get sense bro grin

I won't even bother to read another dumb post from you, if you quote me tongue

But with all ur sense, u still ended up reading d "dumb post" from me& with all ur sense u couldn't diffuse these simple questions:

Have d lives of these voters in zamfara been transformed? Are they now living of 3 square meals a day, good roads, good shelter, jobs e.t.c as a result of their voting?
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 05, 2020
bobowaja:
They only vote on twitter and wait for inec to count twitter constituency.

Later they will wail that their votes doesn't count. Social media keep taking senses away from the educated youths while the illiterate determines who will rule.
Are you expecting them to actually vote for candidates that they don't trust
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by pinkgoodies(m): 3:02pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

I think u fail to see d significance of this low apathy. There might be a number of reasons most especially lack of awareness due to covid. But on d other hand, it also shows that no one is ready to waste his or her precious time going to empower politicians. It's a good omen if citizens boycott elections completely. Not voting is also doing something

Then the little that voted will now determine how the leader will emerge on behalf of the majority for the next 4 years.. if we keep saying No PDP, No APC. Then we will wait for next 100 years before we produce a youth as president. The best is to negotiate with the candidate with the best policy. We keep shouting youths upandan. But just NANS election, same youths voted in a 48 year old man.
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 05, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright ..
Nigerians don already give up on all these elections matter
What they need now is a cataclysmic revolution

The incoming senator will be made. Comfortable for self and family (and oloshos).
WHAT WE NEED IS NOT CATACLYSMIC REVOLUTION. WE NEED BABA GOD TO PICK OUR OWN CALL.
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by lexy2014: 3:16pm On Dec 05, 2020
pinkgoodies:

Then the little that voted will now determine how the leader will emerge on behalf of the majority for the next 4 years.. if we keep saying No PDP, No APC. Then we will wait for next 100 years before we produce a youth as president. The best is to negotiate with the candidate with the best policy. We keep shouting youths upandan. But just NANS election, same youths voted in a 48 year old man.

I understand d points u are trying to make. They are valid & u aren't far from d truth. But like I said earlier, d apathy might just b because many folks might feel tired of voting due to previous experiences. And in a way, voter apathy could be a weapon if well utilised especially if there's zero turn out. U can negotiate with "the candidate with the best policy" before he gets into office but what guarantees do u have that he will keep to d terms of d agreements reached after he gets into office? So my friend, yes people should vote but I feel it goes beyond just voting
Re: Voter Apathy Marks Start Of Lagos East Senatorial Bye-Election by hush15: 3:20pm On Dec 05, 2020
lexy2014:

What did u learn from America& Edo? How's not voting doing nothing?

D awareness u are asking about was well stated in d comment u responded to.

According to u: "If people refuse yo vote, the only empower those in power to keep strong hold."

How has voting in nigeria prevented those in power from keeping a stronghold?

By not voting. Yes, it has not been perfect but it should makes us more determined rather than give up to those we don't want.

Those that made mistakes during the elections that brought trump, the didn't give up on the system, rather they came out stronger to vote who they want. The amount of vote america got this is by far the highest with millions of margin. Those that felt like they inconsequential made sure they are the deciding factor.

As for Benin, maybe you didn't observe it but in the heat of it, all edolites came out to make their voice known and at last, their candidate came out strong.

Look, what protest, revolutions, riots can't do, voting will. OK, when people don't vote, how have they done something. The constitution is clear. Voting is the only way to change leadership. What Nigerians don't know is when you vote, you stay and protect your vote. No body will deny you that. Its not just voting and walk away, vote and make sure your vote count.

Neway, I know Nigeria is not ready for any meaningful yet is the reason why they don't vote. When lagosians are tired and desire change, they know the right thing to do

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reps Fume As NAGGW Spends N81bn To Plant 21m Trees In North / #BayelsaDecides: LP Governorship Candidate, Eradiri Loses Polling Unit / Tambuwal's Constituency Frustrate his legal case Against IG Of Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.