Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,300 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29362 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 6:39am On Dec 12, 2020
Anyone in possession of a university certificate with the inability to read or write, let the certificate of such an individual be withdrawn and let the school from where he/she graduated be queried cos that's a huge fraud.

A secondary school leaver shouldn't even be found lacking basic communication skills let alone a graduate...

These things happen because we don't have proper checks in place and we glorify certificates too much. The only reason I have a degree today was because I knew the system in this country wouldn't reward you adequately without a university certificate... I was already a genius after secondary school doing what most graduates couldn't do.

Even NYSC should start screening the so called graduates, especially those from Benin Republic/ Nigerien or Ghanaian private universities, even some from Asian countries... Most of those schools are certificate mills.

9 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by timesup234: 6:39am On Dec 12, 2020
Graduate is overhyped. Education in form of schooling is stupidity

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 12, 2020
Ok... so who's fault now? Shey ASUU is still on strike... make una continue.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by coputa(m): 6:40am On Dec 12, 2020
It should be "many graduates of northern extraction cannot read and write".down south,a primary two pupil is already reading and writing,in the North,they prefer Islamic education more than Western education.

9 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Mrbenny001: 6:40am On Dec 12, 2020
Mostly northern graduate including himself
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by BuhariBendel: 6:40am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

it could be auto correct fa
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Lexusgs430: 6:41am On Dec 12, 2020
Which kin graduate, den kom graduate so........ grin

Money and sex for hand, certificate for ground...... tongue
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Iseoluwani: 6:41am On Dec 12, 2020
Yes he is right to some extent, almost all his brothers from the north can't read and write, even the president sef no fi read and write.

I had an encounter 2015 when I served, seeing an English teacher teach English in Hausa.

meanwhile mos or of you criticizing the useless man, if I give una sheet of paper and pen to write a semi-formal letter na so una go write formal letter grin grin

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by crownfierce: 6:41am On Dec 12, 2020
Y
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by izubext007: 6:41am On Dec 12, 2020
It's true , but only the far north extraction.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by anataala: 6:41am On Dec 12, 2020
That’s is why 90% fake results and exams malpractices traced to them.
Kingzy4pep:
He meant Northern graduates
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 6:42am On Dec 12, 2020
grin grin, wetin person no go hear for this niger area grin, is that not Adamu?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by anataala: 6:42am On Dec 12, 2020
That’s is why 90% fake results and exams malpractices traced to them.
izubext007:
It's true , but only the far north extraction.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by sylve11: 6:42am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:
I saw one during my youth service that couldn't even speak English yet graduated with a 2:1

Theres this Senior Secondary School graduate i met one time. she had 9A in her WASSCE but she was crying that she would not be able to gain admission with such result into the university. I asked her why? she said her teacher told her that she needed 5C to gain admission. This very girl then couldnt spell her name correctly. sad cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 6:42am On Dec 12, 2020
Freestainworld:
Same way our president can't write, does he even have WAEC?
He's not a graduate that's why we can't count. He didn't even complete his basic education and that's where reading and writing is Learned. Who learns how to read and write in t
University?
The father of failure didn finish primary school not to talk of secondary.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by alphaRego01(m): 6:42am On Dec 12, 2020
Now this is de reason fg no send ASUU
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 6:43am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:
I saw one during my youth service that couldn't even speak English yet graduated with a 2:1

What part of the country does this person hail from and do you remember the particular university he/she graduated from?

Let's gather vital stats abeg... grin
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by omokoladele(m): 6:43am On Dec 12, 2020
Many graduates from the North
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by sonsomegrigbo: 6:44am On Dec 12, 2020
Ekpekus:
Even the president of the country can't

I would come for the nairaland idiot after meditation, I'm not sleeping, in fact far from it.

How can a whole minister sleep, that's why we are considering shutting down social media - laibana Mohammed

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by alphaRego01(m): 6:44am On Dec 12, 2020
Our youths kwanu de Bleep up real time
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by milkyworld(m): 6:45am On Dec 12, 2020
k
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ehinmowo: 6:45am On Dec 12, 2020
In many parts of northern NIgeria, WAEC is a waste of time. One Alhaji could just go to WAEC office and get results for cart pushers. This is not hearsay.

Many of them can't write their names. I swear.

Ps: some are exceptionally good.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by BlessedNuel: 6:46am On Dec 12, 2020
Dx one loud gan

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by owobokiri(m): 6:47am On Dec 12, 2020
Folks don't know how important it is to train teachers. You train teachers the way you train students. Teaching needs skills. It's one thing to be versed in a field, it's a different thing to have the requisite skills needed to impact knowledge. An educated person who lacks the skills to teach is almost as useless to the students as an illiterate. It's a good teacher that raises good students. This is why the teachers training colleges that have been perennially underfunded need to be revatilised. . It's there that you mould the teachers with the skills and mannerisms needed to be great teachers. Again, this idea of recruiting corpers straight out of the universities into teaching roles because it's easier and cheaper, without any formal trainings might be counterproductive as most of them can't impact knowledge effectively..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by joyandfaith: 6:47am On Dec 12, 2020
xProfx:
Anyone in possession of a university certificate with the inability to read or write, let the certificate of such an individual be withdrawn and let the school from wherre he/she graduated be queried cos that's a huge fraud.

A secondary school leaver shouldn't even be found lacking basic communication skills let alone a graduate...

Oh!! Nice one. We should not blame governments both schools that produce such graduates
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by HRMK: 6:48am On Dec 12, 2020
and who do u blame for that?not same #sexformarkslecturers?what we now av all over the country are glorified secondary schools in the name of universities!

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by MYZOLE: 6:48am On Dec 12, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHhaKIZAVPw

shocked
The one wey scatter my brain na this supposed graduate/teacher we no sabi National anthem . grin grin grin grin
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by anochuko01(m): 6:48am On Dec 12, 2020
Leave them, they aren't complaining to you either. What has become of the ones that can read and write? Npower?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by adecz: 6:48am On Dec 12, 2020
It's mostly a Northern problem
& not a national one.

Admission standards are routinely
& historically lowered for many
northerners to enable them get
admission into government secondary
& tertiary institutions to meet up
their States Quota.

Many schools in the backwards
Northern states teach in Hausa or
other vernacular because the so-called
teachers themselves can't even
speak English.

Cases from Eastern region involves
purchase of graduate certificates &
NYSC Call Up letters, mostly by half
educated Amaka girls.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by asuquoabel585: 6:48am On Dec 12, 2020
grin the Fault Is From the One Leading This Nation 'because He can't Speak English' THAT IS WHILE LIFE IS SO HARD FOR THE COMMON MAN
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 6:49am On Dec 12, 2020
BuhariBendel:

it could be auto correct fa
Auto-correct nor be d issue. I took time back then to read his previous posts. Man! It was 'missile after missile'!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Tajolo(m): 6:51am On Dec 12, 2020
Nigerian government is to be blame.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is There Any Difference Between WAEC And GCE? / Oko Poly Students Write Their Test In A Dark Hall (Photo) / Npowerng: How Was I Supposed To Answer This Question?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.