Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29352 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by DarkJeddi(m): 11:01am On Dec 12, 2020
Bluntguy:
Big lie. Face Lie Muhammad.
That's not a lie,many so called graduates can't string two correct words together..
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.
You're deceiving urself. A corper was sent to Yobe from the south and she could neither read nor write or speak English very dumb and deaf corper. I encountered many southern Corpers who can't speak good English at all, they speak only pidgin.
I admit that some Hausa-Fulani graduates can't speak English well because they hardly use the language to speak but despite this challenge they can write very well. I know many who can write very well but can't link it well with speech.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by hola106(m): 11:09am On Dec 12, 2020
Even your oga at the top dont know anything just using idea to run stuff and becos u get opportunity no mean say u sabi book
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Kingkun69(m): 11:20am On Dec 12, 2020
Baawaa:
Who's fault
whose* you sef dey part
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Kingkun69(m): 11:24am On Dec 12, 2020
9jayes:
Hes right, graduates from yoruba land
he's* and you sef pot calling kettle black
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by delpee(f): 11:36am On Dec 12, 2020
There are many graduates from all regions in the country who are deficient in English. The standard of education has deteriorated so badly. The mass promotion in the public education sector and federal character principle which encourages laziness in some areas worsened the situation.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by comrChris(m): 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2020
Every body is now forming a grammarian with this topic, no body wants to admit he/she is among the many graduates the minister is talking about.

Well, I don't know where the minister got his facts from but it's highly difficult for any body to graduate from any higher institution in this country without knowing how to read and write
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Dantee005(m): 12:22pm On Dec 12, 2020
Some people go curse the man but it's actually true.... Many people can't even spell "twenty".... undecided And they are graduates....
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by NewDawnEra: 12:27pm On Dec 12, 2020
Kingscee:

https://thenationonlineng.net/many-nigerian-graduates-cant-read-or-write-says-minister/

How will they know how to write and read when your government decide not to allow them go back to school and face their studies, but all your kids are in abroad

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Entimz: 12:41pm On Dec 12, 2020
And what has happened to does that can read and write. Are there jobs
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by otorman: 12:41pm On Dec 12, 2020
]How about the majority that can read and write.
Oga stop been negative.
Reading and writing is an aspect what about dissemination of key information for progressive purposes
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by bobochem: 12:47pm On Dec 12, 2020
Aboki graduate are the real culprit of this
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by NaMeAboki: 12:50pm On Dec 12, 2020
Absolutely correct; I often come across them here in Nairaland; educated illiterates, many cannot comprehend let alone express themselves intelligently; all they can do is to vomit hatred and insults in the self-deceit that they are making a valid point or argument.

They are often products of exam malpractice : attained through exam leakages, direct cheating, somebody sitting the exam for them, paying (cash or kind) for grades etc.

While others resort to outright forgery, sharing or impersonation of someone with a valid certificate; yet these same group of persons are usually first among those shouting 'Buhari no get certificate or Aboki no go school' - especially the chest beating brigade.

Its no wonder that they keep committing so many basic blunders, like confusing: he/she, thought/taught, in/on, other/order, these/this -just to mention a few.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Owologbo(m): 12:51pm On Dec 12, 2020
Kingscee:

https://thenationonlineng.net/many-nigerian-graduates-cant-read-or-write-says-minister/
He should be specific about his assertion.
It should be "most quota system graduate cannot read or write"
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Divoc19(f): 12:56pm On Dec 12, 2020
That's why all their children school abroad.

What a pity Nigeria[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by otorman: 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2020
Sheriman:
Let's not push this argument further anymore. Even on Nairaland here some guys will type their wacking English sentence like kilode Some are hiding under this "After all, English is not our mother's language and oyinbo people too can't speak our local language"
We are English speaking country for God's sake and our official language is English, so it is a must for all of us especially those amongst us who went to school to have this communication skills and be able to communicate so well with it without speaking jargons.
True
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Newray: 1:23pm On Dec 12, 2020
Mr Minister is so true..
Is majorly northerner graduate that can't read and write..

Imagine chibok girl who were writing waec but can't speak English and write..

When I served in the north I was made to understand that University students in the north . Lecturer don't dare give them carryover or fail any course..
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by COMPAQ(m): 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2020
Kingscee:

How won't education standard fall when jamb cut off down south is 300, but up north its 120!

We have way too many people in university that have no business being there. Mostly up north ,but also down south. If you go to state universities in particular, you see alot of people that have obviously been admitted just to make extra money from fees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by DonnyT: 2:18pm On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

Y'all quoting me to say it could be Auto-correct, I thought it might be, too. So, I checked out his previous posts. Dude dropped more bombs than North Korea!

And no, he ain't a Northerner.

So much for someone casting aspersions at others, your writeup above is full of error as well. The fact is, white people from english speaking country makes mistakes as well. It's not an excuse for graduate that can't read/write or conjure simple sentences. The society as a whole has a problem. I am not trying to denigrate or disparage you in whatever way but I am just saying don't throw a stone if you live in a glass house.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by denjjy(m): 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2020
The should have made it clear that many graduates from the north can neither read nor write
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by chinedu2henry: 3:11pm On Dec 12, 2020
Iseoluwani:
Yes he is right to some extent, almost all his brothers from the north can't read and write, even the president sef no fi read and write.

I had an encounter 2015 when I served, seeing an English teacher teach English in Hausa.

meanwhile mos or of you criticizing the useless man, if I give una sheet of paper and pen to write a semi-formal letter na so una go write formal letter grin grin

And you don't know that you're showing how ignorant you are by mentioning Semi-formal letter. Are you the only one who doesn't know that Semi-formal letter is no longer recognized in this modern era. its either formal or informal letter. Thank You.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 12, 2020
nautybride:
The minister no dey okay.
In fact you no get mouth for read ND write matters. We can do better than the president and his cabinet members.

Okay! "Engrish is not our murder language "
It's just a lingua franca imposed on us by slave masters. We mumuishly follow.
Which language can be used for business across Nigeria except English?
If you can use three languages, you should also know when to use any of them.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ojuu4u(m): 3:28pm On Dec 12, 2020
nnamdi640:
China don't speak English and yet they are great.....
Speaking English or writing in English is not a ticket to success. Hope you know that your boss who choose you as minister is a case study. Bubu own is worst because he doesn't understand English,that is why he speaks off point whenever they interviewed him.

Even when he and trump face world media in Washington for live interview.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 3:36pm On Dec 12, 2020
DonnyT:

So much for someone casting aspersions at others, your writeup above is full of error as well. The fact is, white people from english speaking countrycountries makesmake mistakes as well. It's not an excuse for graduate that can't read/write or conjure simple sentences. The society as a whole has a problem. I am not trying to denigrate or disparage you in whatever way but I am just saying don't throw a stone if you live in a glass house.
Please, put me under the spotlight. Make me see how I've goofed and prove it grammatically to me. Don't even try to refer to the latter part of my comment, because it's obvious that I chose to sound less formal. If stating facts is perceived by you as 'casting aspersions at others', then I don't give a flip that your ox got gored! Have you heard of the rules of Concord, by the way? I used Rule 2 to fix some of your howlers above.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by joelala(m): 4:03pm On Dec 12, 2020
are you trying to be stupid or you're just plain stupid?
9jayes:
Hes right, graduates from yoruba land
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Historicalee: 4:10pm On Dec 12, 2020
This is not far from the truth. The government should reform the education sector to enhance the quality of graduates we produce in our institutions.

Meanwhile, if you are a graduate and you need someone to write something for you, send a DM. If you want to be a better writer, send a DM too.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Blackdisciple(m): 4:35pm On Dec 12, 2020
perfectsusanoo:

very true.
a wise man once said:

Yes oo During their time education was simple to get cos alots if them went for free even in abroad, but today they make it hell for us cos how can some graduate without been able to write his/her name or to read, it sounds crazy.

even me wey no too strong for the English dey still fit write wetin man go understand
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Oteikwu1(m): 4:38pm On Dec 12, 2020
When strike is d order of d day
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by perfectsusanoo(m): 5:06pm On Dec 12, 2020
Blackdisciple:

Yes oo During their time education was simple to get cos alots if them went for free even in abroad, but today they make it hell for us cos how can some graduate without been able to write his/her name or to read, it sounds crazy.

even me wey no too strong for the English dey still fit write wetin man go understand

true.
compared to most developing/developed countries most Nigerians are suffering too much
na only where illiterates plenty dis guys fit rule na
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by themanderon: 5:19pm On Dec 12, 2020
When they deliberately decided to rubbish the educational sector what were they expecting? Some days ago I was watching videos of some secondary schools in Namibia and I became ashamed of what we have here in Nigeria. Public schools in many African countries are doing so much better than the rubbish we call public schools down here.
The Northerners decided to make a complete mess of our education sector seeing that they are heavily lacking behind in education. UN prescribed 26% of national budget to education but we barely allocate 6% down here rather they allocate billions to themselves buy expensive cars live lavish lifestyles at the expense of the citizens. They only exist in government for the Good of themselves.
No nation that has a future neglects education. No nation that desires to be a First world country neglects education. Our leaders have deliberately Neglected plans to develop this nation and one wonders what is their end game.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by aycapri(m): 5:31pm On Dec 12, 2020
gideonite98:
Is he trying to mock buhari grin?
Lol but he maybe right though

You've got btc? Bring am
You have any Gift card? Bring am ooo
Green dot funds? Bring am abeg
Cash app funds? Bring am
Zelle? Bring am
Venmo nko? Bring am
Paypal? Bring am
Go bank? Bring am
Greendot funds? Surely bring am
Coin me? Bring am abeg
Razor ? Bring all of it.
Simple bank fund? Bring am oooo

I buy all @great price and instant payment.
you dey para oooo
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Blackdisciple(m): 5:59pm On Dec 12, 2020
perfectsusanoo:

true.
compared to most developing/developed countries most Nigerians are suffering too much
na only where illiterates plenty dis guys fit rule na

True bro , na only were illustrates plenty dem fit rule cos if na for other civilized country they do all these rubbish wey our leaders dey for Nigeria ehhh, bro na rack ooo,
the country for done turn upside down with mass protests oo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Power Of Punctuation / Oou Post Ume/de Is Out. Details Here. / Covenant University Suspends Final Year Students For Missing Easter Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.