Stats: 3,158,019 members, 7,835,446 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29347 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Akalia(m): 8:11am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

Y'all quoting me to say it could be Auto-correct, I thought it might be, too. So, I checked out his previous posts. Dude dropped more bombs than North Korea!

And no, he ain't a Northerner.
Ever heard of the word dyslexia? Many of those that can't read and write might have that condition, not that they are daft or something. Dyslexia does not mean that they are not intelligent, it is only a mental condition that impairs one from being able to read and write, it can be managed however but not completely treated medically.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by bluefilm: 8:11am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
Don't mind the dummy.

He probably didn't read before posting. grin grin grin
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by dominique(f): 8:12am On Dec 12, 2020
Myhusband:

I've a friend who can't speak fluent English, he doesn't even have English accent but he can construct good sentence while writing, he's very intelligent but speaking of good English is usually a big deal for him

so speaking and writing I think is a two different thing, so far is 2.1 is prove through written then I can't rule the person out except if na shortcut person

There is a difference between not being fluent in English and being unable to speak it. She couldn't communicate with camp officials because she doesn't understand English, they had to call and Igbo corper to serve as a translator. She was eventually sent away from camp. Another one that managed to escape from camp couldn't read the offer letter given to her at her PPA. She couldn't write her name in forms given to her, another 2:1 product o. She was reported to NYSC and expelled from service
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Yakubu1310(m): 8:12am On Dec 12, 2020
If not that corruption has taking over all the system, how can someone who don't no how to read and write made it through primary and secondary school all the way to higher institution.
The system has allowed it, since the system is not doing much to take care of the citizens, we all find a way to survive and make it work for our selves.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by dododawa1: 8:16am On Dec 12, 2020
Can BUHARI hear too.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by P1PrinceKT(m): 8:18am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.

I know so many tribe from Igbo/Yoruba South that have the same problem.

I was once at Nnewi, I have being speaking to him asking him for address with simple English but unfortunately that University undergrad do not understand any of my words,

a friend of mine who is good at Pidgin eventually spoke to him.

so it's every where.

equally I have a yoruba classmate who is talkative in class, but if you see his hand Writing you will cRy.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by kazyhm(m): 8:20am On Dec 12, 2020
Majorly south south graduates...........fake degree certificate everywhere in the south.

I have my fact.......in fact a good number (89%) of 2020/2021 academic session masters applicant in a particular department of one popular university in the south south applied with fake first degree certificate.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by bong4(m): 8:21am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

Y'all quoting me to say it could be Auto-correct, I thought it might be, too. So, I checked out his previous posts. Dude dropped more bombs than North Korea!

And no, he ain't a Northerner.

Once I see those "Am" instead of "I'm" or "is" in place of "It's", I just turn to the next page.

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 8:23am On Dec 12, 2020
owobokiri:
Folks don't know how important it is to train teachers. You train teachers the way you train students. Teaching needs skills. It's one thing to be versed in a field, it's a different thing to have the requisite skills needed to impact knowledge. An educated person who lacks the skills to teach is almost as useless to the students as an illiterate. It's a good teacher that raises good students. This is why the teachers training colleges that have been perennially underfunded need to be revatilised. . It's there that you mould the teachers with the skills and mannerisms needed to be great teachers. Again, this idea of recruiting corpers straight out of the universities into teaching roles because it's easier and cheaper, without any formal trainings might be counterproductive as most of them can't impact knowledge effectively..
you people will just come here and be speaking rubbish undecided

Did you think all graduates are meant to be teacher? undecided

Do you even know what is professional courses or career? undecided

If you graduated as a medical doctor, engineer or some other professional courses, you expect these graduate to be teaching? undecided

Because you leave in this shithole you expect others to Reason like you? undecided

If you are talking about people who graduated from the department of education I would have reason otherwise..

I'm an educated person and graduate on medical related courses, you expect me to acquire the skill of teaching whereby teaching is not my field undecided

Use and tiny brain and Reason! undecided
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Sunsets: 8:24am On Dec 12, 2020
Wrong headline. It should read: Many Nigerian graduates from the Northern Part of the Country Cannot Read nor Write.
Kingscee:

https://thenationonlineng.net/many-nigerian-graduates-cant-read-or-write-says-minister/

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 12, 2020
Graduates from the north.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by MDBELLO(m): 8:27am On Dec 12, 2020
You make us know that english no get expression like our mothern tongue. Talk make i understand that all. Same to the way some of you speaking in house the one of jigawa. An our present lagend you knew him already. Let keep pushing we will the our destination.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Dearlord(m): 8:28am On Dec 12, 2020
I thank goodness for my state, everyone here knows how to read and write.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 8:29am On Dec 12, 2020
bong4:

Once I see those "Am" instead of "I'm" or "is" in place of "It's", I just turn to the next page.
Lol. "Is ma bufdae" cheesy

Especially the 'Am' grin grin
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by owobokiri(m): 8:31am On Dec 12, 2020
womenareapes:
you people will just come here and be speaking rubbish undecided

Did you think all graduates are meant to be teacher? undecided

Do you even know what is professional courses or career? undecided

If you graduated as a medical doctor, engineer or some other professional courses, you expect these graduate to be teaching? undecided

Because you leave in this shithole you expect others to Reason like you? undecided

If you are talking about people who graduated from the department of education I would have reason otherwise..

I'm an educated person and graduate on medical related courses, you expect me to acquire the skill of teaching whereby teaching is not my field undecided

Use and tiny brain and Reason! undecided
You need help!
What are you ranting about? Did I ask you to go and teach? I was talking about teachers and the need to train teachers effectively! What's your Problem with that? Are you the only graduate in Nigeria? What really is your Problem? I don't understand why you are so upset.. Person go just quarrel with him wife and will start attacking everybody he runs into throughout the day..
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 8:32am On Dec 12, 2020
mustyguy:
bro you be fool, so you mean say education minister no fit read and write, that was why he graduated from an ivy league University in US which is rated among top ten best Universities, keep wasting your time insulting northerners on nairaland while they are achieving what you can never achieve, if English is the measure of intelligence most countries like china, Korea, France, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Japan, India will be behind nigeria.
I swear this people no get sense!

In science you don't really need English because science is logical and universal!

Those eediots up there who are obsessed with English, check there life! Are all art students who graduated from mass communication, English, art and drama!

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Sleekfingers: 8:32am On Dec 12, 2020
The minister is not far from the truth.....most of them just went to school for the certificates......

I think the larger chunk of those graduates are from the north....

Even right here in lagos....most of them speaks terrible english. They cant really express themselves. They got angry even when u try to correct them. They cant engage in an insult free conversation or argument.....they insult you when you have a contrary opinion to theirs.....especially on nairaland......bunch of olodo graduates.......

How on earth can a graduate cannot speak or write in a simple or error free english.....na yoruba , igbo, hausa or ijaw dem dey use teach for school now? Na to dey carry phone up and down dey type thrash on the internet dem know or to dey carry yansh up and down ....awon olodo generation......
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Michael33(m): 8:32am On Dec 12, 2020
They won't ooo... Since it won't add a kobo to their pockets. They'll rather spend it on expensive cars and useless things.

Now, ASUU has been on strike for more than 9months and they're not feeling guilty or even committed to ending it.

Nigeria is in recession and they're still happy withhelding lecturers salaries... Meanwhile, one of the major way out of recession is to increase your spending on the people (pump in money).

I still wonder who are their economy advisers... Or should I say they don't listen to advise?

Jeromejnr:
Why don't they actually pump money into education and stop spending money on the acquisition of SUV's?

A country with Crab mentality.

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 8:35am On Dec 12, 2020
Akalia:
Ever heard of the word dyslexia? Many of those that can't read and write might have that condition, not that they are daft or something. Dyslexia does not mean that they are not intelligent, it is only a mental condition that impairs one from being able to read and write, it can be managed however but not completely treated medically.
MOST OFTEN, they are just products of a very defective, deficient learning system, though dyslexia could be a factor in a handfull of cases.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by wizdooarchy3(m): 8:37am On Dec 12, 2020
if COW were 9ja STUDENTS Mr.Buhari would have given them attention hmmmm let say EDUCATION sector would have been 40% of 2021 BUDGET

U NO FIT SWEAR FOR ME !!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 8:37am On Dec 12, 2020
Amarisco:

Funny you say that.

The situation is actually so terrible that international universities don’t even consider Nigeria an English speaking country, despite it being our national language grin.

Prospective students have to pay and take additional English exams to prove their literacy, even if they have a PhD - all because it’s obtained in Nigeria. Imagine the insult.
na there you lie!

Na people were never traveled out of his local government area dey talk rubbish like this!
Many universities are exempting Nigeria for taking that English exam if you are seeking to further study abroad!

The standard of that English exam in Nigeria is so higher than any other countries seeking that exam because Nigeria use to blast that exam with higher scores so they increase the point standard!

You people will be coming here and be talk rubbish
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Infomaster555: 8:40am On Dec 12, 2020
It obvious that many Nigerian graduates can't read or write, but on the part of the government what have they really done about it.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Jyde89: 8:45am On Dec 12, 2020
9jayes:
Hes right, graduates from yoruba land

lol even non graduates from the southwest can read, write and speak impeccable English. how do I know? I'm one of them. but I'll leave you to have fun at our expense if it will bring you joy, at the end of the day it is the Yuletide season.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 8:48am On Dec 12, 2020
womenareapes:
I swear this people no get sense!

In science you don't really need English because science is logical and universal!

Those eediots up there who are obsessed with English, check there their lives! They are all art students who graduated from mass communication, English, art and drama!
Unfortunately for you, the world does not speak 'Mathematics'. Science is still expressed in English.

You may console yourself all you want, though. grin

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:49am On Dec 12, 2020
But how come government employed most of this people. Many of them are in government institutions, ministries and parastatals
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Haywiz1122: 8:52am On Dec 12, 2020
Baawaa:
Who's fault

Na them...one spotted
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by flyingpig: 8:56am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:

From Enugu. She eventually got sent away from camp
this is woeful shocked thought there is high literary rate in that part of the country embarassed
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 8:56am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
Unfortunately for you, the world does not speak 'Mathematics'. Science is still expressed in English.

You may console yourself all you want, though. grin
sorry! I can't argue with someone who haven't left his local area government!

Do fall ill and try to visit one of the hospital I work in. Na English I go use take treat you ode undecided

When you get international experience! Come make we talk like man!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 12, 2020
Yes they have been ruling but you can see the result, a Shit hole of a country with the worst value in all human indices. Is it not obvious to you?
Carlylepneuma:
yet they have been rulin y'all articulated enlightened, graduates frm time imemorial and ur educated ass has done nothin about it...e

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 12, 2020
So horrible
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 9:04am On Dec 12, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/
The Minister said the graduates cannot read or write. You automatically assumed it is in English language. He didn't mention any language. You are one of the illiterates he talked about.

/
forget that guy! He no get sense at all
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Lamasta(m): 9:05am On Dec 12, 2020
That's what you get when universities from one part of the region gives admission to those that scored 100 in utme...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Justina Anochie, Student Of Babcock Kidnapped / The Power Of Punctuation / Is There Any Difference Between WAEC And GCE?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51