Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,707 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (35727 Views)

Ondo SUBEB To Pay N290,470 As Annual Salary To A Degree Holder On Grade Level 8 / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by ProsperChild: 6:08am On Feb 08, 2019
Polytechnic education in Nigeria is just sheer waste of time n years.After acquiring certification ,for a period of 5 YEARS while some of your counterparts in the university acquires theirs just 4YEARS,isn't it clear enough that polytechnic system of education shouldnt be an afterthought. Hardly,you get job with the certificate,Hardly you ,work or discharge your duties in civil service without fear or favour,u are restless,u know,because a career bar is place against u.........It is a sorry case! Imagine equal salary at the beginning then varied termination points!
mind u,these catogory of persons are growing in service n career development with experience too.
I suggest, a legal action should be instituted to put an end to this injustice.let it be challenged in a court of competent jurisdiction.Poly lecturers should consider this ,as a last option to address this dichotomy.
Alternatively,If for one valid reason ,that dichotomy should exist,then lets the duration of study be revert by FG to that of NCE 3years programme to properly satisfy exchange of the contents of scheme service to justify the dicothomy....
Source : Anonymous.

THE Federal Government has clarified that the partial removal of dichotomy between the Higher National Diploma (HND) and Bachelor’s of Science (B.Sc) degree by the National Council on Establishment.

Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Mrs Winifred Oyo-Ita, speaking on Thursday in Abuja, noted that the resolution of the Council was that an HND holder could now enter into public service on Grade Level 08, the same entrance level for B.Sc holder.

She, however, explained that the HND graduate cannot rise above level 14 except such a person acquires an additional degree for his or her conversion to officer cadre that terminates at Grade Level 17.

The Head of Service made the clarification while briefing newsmen on some of the achievements of her office under the Change Agenda 2015-2018.

She said: “This issue of HND/B.Sc dichotomy came up after the last National Council on Establishment and I think a lot of people are still confused about the policy. What was approved by the Council was that henceforth the HND holder can enter at the same level with B. Sc, which is level 08.

“But the issue of where they stop still remains that they will terminate at Grade level 14 unless they are able to acquire additional relevant degree that can now convert them to officer cadre,” she said.

Oyo-Ita, also discussed that her Office has settled out of court the outstanding promotion examination for Deputy Director, Administration, involving 97 officers, which has been pending for the last three years.

She said the promotion examination to the post of Director, Administration, was subsequently held in collaboration with the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) at the Public Service Institute of Nigeria on 18th January 2018.

She noted that in the areas of promotion and conversion of pool officers between 2016 and 2018, about 10,735 officers were promoted, 872 converted while over 4525 officers are awaiting the results of 2018 promotion exercise.

She said in line with the commitment of President Muhammadu to reposition the Federal Civil Service, Federal Civil Service Strategy and Implementation Plan (FCSSIP) 2017-2020 was developed by her office and has since been approved by the Federal Executive Council in 2017.

She said the implementation of the strategy has recorded laudable achievements, especially in the areas of capacity building, automation of processes, culture and attitudinal change as well as public-private-partnership, which were the major challenges confronting the Service.

Head of Service noted that while a total of 48, 210 staff have benefited from various training programmes and workshops between 2015 and 2018, arrangements have been concluded for with the Management Development Institutes (MDIs) to jointly deliver Structured Mandatory Assessment-based Training Programme (SMART-P), Leadership Enhancement and Development Programme (LEAD-P) and Induction Training under the FCSSIP 2017-2020.

She disclosed that SMART-P training for the first batch of 1,500 officers would commence in March 2019 while the capacity fan gap assessment of Civil Servants has commenced with an online survey across the Service.

https://www.tribuneonlineng.com/189203/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by BoboKush(m): 6:30am On Feb 08, 2019
Bleep meh
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by AdiscoPele: 6:49am On Feb 08, 2019
Nigeria. Always going one step forward and ten steps backwards

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by calddon(m): 7:11am On Feb 08, 2019
ProsperChild:
Polytechnic education in Nigeria is just sheer waist of time n years.After acquiring certification ,for a period of 5 YEARS while some of your counterparts in the university acquires theirs just 4YRS,isnt it clear enough that polytechnic system of education shouldnt be an afterthought. Hardly,you get job with the certificate,Hardly you ,work or discharge your duties in civil service without fear or favour,u are restless,u know,because a carear bar is place for u.........It is a sorry case!
I suggest, a legal action should be instituted to put an end to this injustice.let it be challenged in a court of competent jurisdiction.Poly lecturers should consider this ,as a last option to address this dichotomy.

THE Federal Government has clarified that the partial removal of dichotomy between the Higher National Diploma (HND) and Bachelor’s of Science (B.Sc) degree by the National Council on Establishment.

Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Mrs Winifred Oyo-Ita, speaking on Thursday in Abuja, noted that the resolution of the Council was that an HND holder could now enter into public service on Grade Level 08, the same entrance level for B.Sc holder.

She, however, explained that the HND graduate cannot rise above level 14 except such a person acquires an additional degree for his or her conversion to officer cadre that terminates at Grade Level 17.

The Head of Service made the clarification while briefing newsmen on some of the achievements of her office under the Change Agenda 2015-2018.

She said: “This issue of HND/B.Sc dichotomy came up after the last National Council on Establishment and I think a lot of people are still confused about the policy. What was approved by the Council was that henceforth the HND holder can enter at the same level with B. Sc, which is level 08.

“But the issue of where they stop still remains that they will terminate at Grade level 14 unless they are able to acquire additional relevant degree that can now convert them to officer cadre,” she said.

Oyo-Ita, also discussed that her Office has settled out of court the outstanding promotion examination for Deputy Director, Administration, involving 97 officers, which has been pending for the last three years.

She said the promotion examination to the post of Director, Administration, was subsequently held in collaboration with the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) at the Public Service Institute of Nigeria on 18th January 2018.

She noted that in the areas of promotion and conversion of pool officers between 2016 and 2018, about 10,735 officers were promoted, 872 converted while over 4525 officers are awaiting the results of 2018 promotion exercise.

She said in line with the commitment of President Muhammadu to reposition the Federal Civil Service, Federal Civil Service Strategy and Implementation Plan (FCSSIP) 2017-2020 was developed by her office and has since been approved by the Federal Executive Council in 2017.

She said the implementation of the strategy has recorded laudable achievements, especially in the areas of capacity building, automation of processes, culture and attitudinal change as well as public-private-partnership, which were the major challenges confronting the Service.

Head of Service noted that while a total of 48, 210 staff have benefited from various training programmes and workshops between 2015 and 2018, arrangements have been concluded for with the Management Development Institutes (MDIs) to jointly deliver Structured Mandatory Assessment-based Training Programme (SMART-P), Leadership Enhancement and Development Programme (LEAD-P) and Induction Training under the FCSSIP 2017-2020.

She disclosed that SMART-P training for the first batch of 1,500 officers would commence in March 2019 while the capacity fan gap assessment of Civil Servants has commenced with an online survey across the Service.

source:tribuneonlineng.com
Am sure the writer of the article is a BsC holder. Our waisted grin education sector

23 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:28am On Feb 08, 2019
You have a good point here OP.
We respect your view in this.
This same issue has been going on in the country from inception.
We hope that one day, the dichotomy nature of things will be juxtaposed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by massinola(m): 8:29am On Feb 08, 2019
Hmmm thought this dichotomy of a thing was said to have been removed

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by conceptcom: 8:29am On Feb 08, 2019
WITH THIS PROGRAM, WE WILL TRAIN YOU TO A MOST-SOUGHT AFTER WEB DESIGNER AND DEVELOPER IN 4 WEEKS – 100% GUARANTEED!

IMAGINE THIS SCENARIO: A friend recommends a certain website, so you click on the link. And wow – even though you can't put your finger on it, everything about the site seems to fit together superbly, from the colors, Web Design and entire functionality. Although you haven't visited the site before, you know just how to navigate it. The search function even works. For all this and more, you can give kudos to the talented Web developer - and probably you have nursing the dream of becoming a WEB DESIGNER AND DEVELOPER

Build A Job-Ready Career As Website Developer. Learn to Create Professional & Functional Websites.
Get Tutored and Mentored by Experts who have developed hundreds of Websites, Web & Mobile Apps

What You Get -Practical Training Outlines

- Everything You Need to Know About Becoming a WEB DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- What are the important time-tested and trusted Skills, Technologies and Training needed to Become A WEB DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT Profession
- The Fundamentals of Web technologies – HTML, CSS and Javascript
- SEO – Basic and advanced applications of Google Analytics, Console and Yoast
- Basic and Advance implementation of Site Speed optimization
- Achieving mobile responsiveness
- Domain registration and propagation
- Procuring best Host Registrars with most advanced and reliable hosting features
- How Best to host multiple Websites on a single Hosting platform
- Website Maintenance and Management principles
- Web Design with Photoshop
- PLUS MUCH MORE!

FEES: N32,000 - DISCOUNT FOR EARLY PAYMENT
N35,000 - PAYMENT ON TRAINING DAY

DATE: INTENSIVE TRAINING ONGOING

TIME: 10am – 2pm daily (time subject to changes for training flexibility)

PERIOD: 4 Weeks Intense Marathon Practical Training (Weekends and 3 times a Week training available but with higher charges)

VENUE: IKEJA LAGOS – UNLIMITED INTERNET WIFI AVAILABLE!

REQUIRED: Just Your Laptop and passion for Websites Development

OUR FIRM GUARANTEE: THIS OUR GUARANTEE - WE WONT TRAIN YOU THE WAY EVEN SOME OF THE BIGGEST ICT TRAINING CENTERS & NAMES IN NIGERIA DO (SOME USUALLY TEACH NONSENSE, IF YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW) - WE WILL TRAIN AND IMPACT YOU TO BE AN ICT PROFESSIONAL WITH JOB-READY KNOWLEDGE DURING AND AFTER GRADUATION - YES, WITH 1,000% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE

Contacts and Website on Banners

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by benice141: 8:30am On Feb 08, 2019
this is rubbish

3 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 08, 2019
As long as am concern Nigeria certificate is as useless as waste paper.

7 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 08, 2019
Hmmnn
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by frubben(m): 8:30am On Feb 08, 2019
f**ked up country. mtweeee

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by jobsmiths(m): 8:31am On Feb 08, 2019
Mediocrity promotion......Na crime to go poly again, The problem here is ASUP no fit muster any tin, shame

3 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by moscobabs(m): 8:31am On Feb 08, 2019
H
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by MrGreenMavro: 8:31am On Feb 08, 2019
PMB no get HND but he's the President

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Ay77(m): 8:31am On Feb 08, 2019
calddon:
Am sure the writer if the article is a BsC holder. Our waisted grin education sector

Oh you're seeing what I'm seeing grin

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 08, 2019
grin
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Racoon(m): 8:32am On Feb 08, 2019
shocked grin grin grin cheesy This government and deception ehen.Same issue they once said they have abolished in ? APC are liars hence can never be trusted.

5 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Randy100: 8:32am On Feb 08, 2019
Nonsense article.
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by ibrutex(m): 8:32am On Feb 08, 2019
g
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Akanapiaigwe: 8:32am On Feb 08, 2019
grin

Why not struggle and employ Bsc graduates instead cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by OlujobaSamuel: 8:32am On Feb 08, 2019
My children no fit do any foolish HND, if he wan go poly, na only ND tinz, I've been seeking for where to do my MSc and I can't find one, had to enroll for BSc.
Dear Unborn child that might be foolish enough like me to consider HND, I won't only disfather you, I go remove your foolish head from your neck, I no fit let you live this kind frustrating life.
Thanks.
From your once foolish but having a head reset future Dad

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by anibabes007(m): 8:32am On Feb 08, 2019
Both poly and uni are far below other part of the world standard.

Meanwhile
Very affordable wears

1 Like

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by EdenH: 8:33am On Feb 08, 2019
mtcheeew. who Hnd and Bsc epp, next pls

But truth be told anyway, nobody in his right senses will just decide to go to poly. Every polytechnic student is a rejected University applicant. So lets get our facts right, University will forever be better than polytechnics. Simple

14 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by AhlexOfficial(m): 8:33am On Feb 08, 2019
Whats HND sef

#poo
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 08, 2019
Is a bachelor's degree the same with diploma in nigeria?? I'm just asking cos alot of people seem to be vexing and screaming injustice.
I've come to notice that their clamouring isn't really gunuine..This is just about securing jobs...or getting the same treatment Bsc holders have in work places...
because if it were really genuine diploma holder would also clamour that they aren't allowed to apply for a masters degree or a PhD with a diploma.. clearly this invincible injustice seem to exist in this area aswell.
Both degree aren't the same, they never were, extending the NYSC scheme to diploma holders was supposed to help but it somehow added more petrol to the fire cos they never converted all polytechnics into university...plus, employers were never ordered by the government to see both certificate as the same and that isn't even possible.
So problem isn't really the government, it's the labour employers that don't employ the right degree for the right job..btw why are pple still going to polytechnics if they know this so called injustice is waiting for them.

11 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by jamalnation(m): 8:34am On Feb 08, 2019
hmmmm
Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by dkronicle(m): 8:34am On Feb 08, 2019
angry

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by Yabsun(m): 8:35am On Feb 08, 2019
Well, I'm an HND holder. I've vowed my children won't make same mistake I made. I know what I went through while in school. I did better in every field I've found myself...did far better than BSc graduates. Does it even count? No! Nigeria only value the certificate. It's not a secret that HND graduate are always second best to BSCs.. My candid advice: get your DE form and upgrade your HND certificate if ur daily bread solely depends on ur certificate. HND is a time waster! Government aren't ready to abolish the dichotomy and I don't think they'll.

11 Likes

Re: Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG by kehinde1588(m): 8:35am On Feb 08, 2019
This is really commendable. The fact that University is more competitive and organized than polytechnic, there should be a clear distinction. Most polytechnics in Nigeria are nothing to write home about in terms of standard and caliber of students who attend the institution.

If those who attend college of education are not placed on the same level with those in polytechnics, that alone justify the reason why those who attend universities should not be placed on same level with them.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Experience With My Perverted Lecturer / Ozibo Ekele Graduates From University Of Ibadan With CGPA Of 6.6 Breaks Record / Is Madonna University Accredited For Medical Studies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.