Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,418 members, 7,812,234 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing (32708 Views)

For Men: 3 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Making Love With Married Women / Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People / Is Your People Pleasing Personality Killing Your Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 13, 2020
People pleasing is simply the act of saying or doing anything and everything just to satisfy everybody. It is a deliberate act where a person go out of their way and against their own real intentions to make everyone around them happy by doing or saying whatever they want and like.

Against their own real intentions, convictions or desires, they yearn to please everyone they come across just to appear to be a good person. It does not matter how they really think or what they really want, they would say or do the opposite just to appear good to everyone.

Let’s face the reality, everyone is a people pleaser at some point and to some extent. We always try to appear as nice as possible to the next person that approaches us but when it becomes too much that we want to appear nice to everyone at all cost then that’s a problem. Below are reasons why;

1. More Hate Instead Of Love: You are trying to make everyone happy and doing just what they all want no matter what it takes or cost you. Hopefully they would all love you and see you as the good person among. However when everyone realizes you are pretending just to be called nice, they hate you the more. They feel they can’t get the truth out of you, you end up telling them what you feel they want to hear instead of the truth. So instead they begin to avoid you and that breeds more hate.

2. You Become Untrustworthy: No one can really get the truth of the matter from you, you play nice and try to be in the middle just to please all parties. Everyone is confused and don’t know how you really feel about things. They are not sure if you are actually comfortable doing what they have asked of you or not, so they begin to trust you, your words and your actions less and less until they disapprove of you completely.

3. You Appear Manipulative: Each time someone comes to you for something, you end up doing what you feel pleases them as against what they really needed. It continues that way and they eventually discover what they where looking for elsewhere, making them feel you have been using them all along. When two opposing sides have arguments and they come to you separately, you take sides with each individually and tell them what pleases their ears. Eventually they discover later and you become manipulative.

4. You Begin To Hate The Things You Used To Love: Let’s assume you are the type that loves cleaning and you do it with so much enthusiasm. Everyone sees so and begins to approach you to do it for them as against what you would have wanted to do at that moment. You oblige them because you do not want to say no to them in a bid to make them happy with you. In the end as you clean more and more against your actual will, you begin to hate cleaning.

5. You May Develop Mental Health Issues: As You struggle to please everyone and be on their good book, you do it against you own actual intentions, will and desires. You no longer do the things that makes you happy and fulfilled, instead you are dragging yourself to make everyone else happy. Slowly you begin to drain yourself of your own happiness and fulfillment, becoming more sad inside, wearing a happy and smiling face for all. You keep accumulating the sadness inside and consequently you may fall into depression and that becomes dangerous if left unattended.

6. You Forget The One Person Who Matters The Most: In your bid to be the best one among, doing everything and anything to make all to be happy with you and going out of your way for it, you forget the one person whose happiness matters the most, you. You are afraid of rejection and failure therefore you try to please everyone not realizing that ymou are failing and rejecting yourself which is actually the worst type of rejection, self rejection!

Source: https://flipmemes.com/2020/10/04/6-reasons-you-should-avoid-people-pleasing/

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by phr33man(m): 7:23am On Dec 13, 2020
Hmmmmmm!
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 13, 2020
Bros this one na essay! there isn't a single reason for this.
Pleasing people kills quicker after malaria. This is an established fact by UNN
If you don't want to die young, stop pleasing people.
If u keep pleasing people , u will die faster.

I hope I made myself clear unlike the poster below me speaking plenty english to please people. grin

130 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by LordKO(m): 10:15am On Dec 13, 2020
Yes, servility (people-pleasing) is bad, but opportunism is worse than it; even self-absorption is worse than it too. Actions and inactions of an opportunist are always more pernicious than that of a servile person.

Conscientiousness is standard.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by iamvictorbassey: 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2020
It's about upbringing, if you were brought up original and vocal from an iron lady of a mum who doesn't tolerate nonsense. You can't be fake, you can't be a hypocrite, thus you'll attract only natural energy.

People will see you and hate you already so they won't come close. And whoever likes you and comes close, yes! the person truly does
like you and will stay. This is why I have very few true friends around.

I'll teach my children to be alphas everywhere all the time. And to always stay original. I'll tell them, keep your standard, the world will fùcking adapt.

72 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by 900warriorz: 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2020
grin
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Muhylonaire007: 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2020
cheesy
Na person wey dem never shenk before dey please people na.
As me don learn lesson Tey Tey, I don stop to dey please people, e go end in tears ni.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Fuckingmallam45(m): 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2020
Habits you should stop doing immediately

Stop pleasing everyone. Follow your own convictions, NOT what others expect from you.
Stop pampering yourself. Growth is found OUTSIDE your comfort zone.

Stop being distracted. We are the most distracted generation in history. No FOCUS, no results.

Stop relying on others. Your mama won’t save you anymore. NOTHING is free in life. Take accountability for your future.

Stop expecting instant satisfaction. Patience, PERSISTENCE and perspiration are your best friends.

Stop relying on motivation to act. Create the daily HABITS that will lead to achieving your goals.

Stop abusing your body. Eat HEALTHY, and you will look healthy, feel healthy and think healthily. Eat junk and you will feel like junk.

Stop surrounding yourself with negative people. We can’t change people, but we CAN change the people that we surround ourselves with.
Stop resisting change. Staying stuck in the past has PAINFUL consequences.

Stop fearing failure. If you are not failing, you are not trying HARD enough.

82 Likes 20 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by GIANTPLUSHUB: 12:45pm On Dec 13, 2020
Nice one
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Kuns84(m): 12:46pm On Dec 13, 2020
Especially Nigerians.

Nigerians have suffered so much that once they see a kind person, the default setting is to extort and exploit that individual to the fullest.

It's a vicious survival instinct that is very prominent amongst a poverty-stricken populous.

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by pansophist(m): 12:46pm On Dec 13, 2020
People pleasing is like being a slave, while you're the slave master to yourself. Its like treating a hyena humanely, expecting it to reciprocate. Either you free yourself and live as a free man, or keep pleasing, which will never gain you their respect, and inevitably leads to your destruction.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Atukul: 12:46pm On Dec 13, 2020

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Tillatalk: 12:46pm On Dec 13, 2020
That's why I love to stay on my Lane

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Asikumalui: 12:46pm On Dec 13, 2020
U don't mean it

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Hndrrxxx(m): 12:47pm On Dec 13, 2020
Bb
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Saviolamemphix(m): 12:48pm On Dec 13, 2020
Hsd famz stay blessed�� wink
Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Teeisaac(m): 12:48pm On Dec 13, 2020
Wahala for those who get people
I only get myself

15 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by GOOOGLE504(m): 12:48pm On Dec 13, 2020
If you wanna make everyone happy, go sell ice cream.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by charlesucheh(m): 12:49pm On Dec 13, 2020
what you just described is sycophancy.
simple!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by translux(m): 12:50pm On Dec 13, 2020
My only worries is that Buhari Administration has sent Nigeria back ward to the time far back to 1981, the next Administration will definitely have a lot of problems because of the damage Bihari has done to this great country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by GodWrites: 12:50pm On Dec 13, 2020
If you're not a selfish bastard, you'll have a hard time surviving planet Earth.

Instead of pleasing you, why don't you please me instead?

That's the mindset of the 1% of the 1%. Shalom!

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Offpoint1: 12:50pm On Dec 13, 2020
Good example are Buhari supporters, they ass lick the old man in detriment to their own happiness.

Asslicking should have been the word.

I'm just the IDGAF type of being.

Dead beef griller is a good example of someone who has lost his sanity Asslicking.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by purples25(f): 12:50pm On Dec 13, 2020
People pleasing destroys lives. Pick your sanity over pleasing people.

If you dont, you will slowly lose your mind.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Dbtcking: 12:51pm On Dec 13, 2020
Pleasing people is the worst thing anyone would do cause people would always want to take advantage of your kindness and would even insult you behind your back just because you helped them.

Ps: I buy(460) and sell(480) BTC the best rate out there. Pm if interested

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by PAWG(m): 12:51pm On Dec 13, 2020
No is a valid answer, don’t always be a ‘yes man’

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid People Pleasing by Triangles1(m): 12:52pm On Dec 13, 2020
OP you're sensible right on this article, but most times I please people is just to do it and get what I want.

Example.... Guys to please their girl because of pineapple.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Twins Born In Spain Joined Hands After Birth / Lady Shares The Heartwarming Note Her Husband Left Her Before Leaving For Work. / "When You Flaunt Baby Bumps, You Attract Negative Human Spirits" - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.